Georgia Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

Very informative
Project Manager/ Inspector (Intern) (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAJanuary 26, 2016
I learned a lot as an intern for the GDOT. I was designated as a project manager for my time with them, and I became a more well rounded engineer in the process.
stayed busy and worked independently
HERO Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 18, 2016
enjoyed the job, great coworkers/ employees. very dangerous work. got very busy at times. new management in place now too worried about looking pretty than getting the job done or the employees. just because its a government job doesn't mean its a good place to work at this time.
Pros
work with limited supervision.
Cons
upper management former military and cant let that go.
Good Starter
Inspector Aid/Internship (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAJanuary 11, 2016
Great job coming straight out of college in which will teach a lot about the transportation system. Will give you the basics of what to know for future jobs that work GDOT.
enjoy the work and the client
Right of Way Assistant Acquisition Manager /Agent (Former Employee) –  Chamblee, GADecember 16, 2015
I love the work and the people I manage. Sometime upper management is hard to work with and I feel they preferred to be that way.
Pros
Hour works
Cons
the people take some getting to know
not its not a fun work places
Foreman (Current Employee) –  Camilla, GADecember 8, 2015
Typical day at work would be making sure that the employee are doing what ever task that has put in front of them. Maintain the state highways make sure the public is safe traveling down state roads. The hardest thing about my job is being on call 24/7 responding after hours call. I enjoy make sure that the public is safe driving up and down the busy roadways.
decent job for the most part.
Construction Inspector II (Former Employee) –  Chamblee, GANovember 11, 2015
For the most part the job was satisfactory. Enjoyed working with most of the employees. The boss was a micro manager did not get along well with him. Benefits were unsatisfactory they kept taking things away. My typical day of work included dealing with contractors, making sure my team was doing the work they needed to do for the day.
Pros
able to leave office at will. Able to do job unsupervised.
Cons
benefits, At mercy of contractor worked when they wanted to, Snow and ice detail sometimes 14 to 16 hour shifts
non productive busy work 24/7
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAOctober 31, 2015
Although i learned many things working for the state, i did not enjoy this job. We never did things the logical way. it was always the busy most complicated way. They have many machines for different jobs but the machine just sit and collect dust although the were fully operational. The foreman didn't seem to have very much education by the way he talked, and how he talked to his workers. The benefits only mattered if you worked for 30 years. It just all around was a bad job.
Pros
paid lunch, great learning experience
fun place to work
civil engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 30, 2015
one has to be conversant with both federal and state codes, salary is based on experience. the use of design software like Microstation is essential.
Pros
nice staff and people
Cons
salary based on experience or lack thereof
A place that can not be compared to other state agency
Operational Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 18, 2015
GDOT can be a great but is ran differently due to there unique set-up and federal participation. Management is separated and from the employees but allows it's employees to train and take classes to improve and maintain the talent level.
Great place to get into transportation engineering.
Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 17, 2015
A typical day includes getting the job done. Training opportunities are easy to come by, but the shake out from the down economy and the politics involved have left career advancement opportunities scarce.
Pros
Time off!
Cons
Always slow on the communication.
Safe oriented, productive, educational.
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 15, 2015
Overall, Georgia Department of Transportation is a decent job to work for because you will learn and demonstrate safety at all times. You are required to have a commercial license or obtain a commercial license within six months of employment. Depending on your productivity, they may hire you full pay after your six months is over. Once you become full time, you are then recommended to take the T.I.M.S. tests in order to become qualified to apply for other positions within the Georgia Department of Transportation. The D.O.T. also has a "family" like environment so everyone shares a common goal. Although some employees may have a complaint about the pay, they are also willing to move up in position to reach higher pay. Education and great attitude with others at all shops will help bridge a great image to an individual because again G.D.O.T. has a "family" like environment.
Pros
Strong on safety measurements for employees, great opportunity to earn commercial license, and operate heavy equipment.
Cons
Low paying salary for skilled laborers, high insurance rates.
Typical Work Day
Procurement Officer (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 14, 2015
My typical day consist of providing customer service by answering questions, training, reconciling purchases, team-building, and assisting managers in decision-making in particular areas. I enjoy working with people and encouraging them to begin or continue receiving training for current and future promotions. The most enjoyable part of my job is that it keeps me busy from the time I get started until the time I leave for the day.
Pros
Training
Cons
Not enough cross training
Entry-Level
Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 4, 2015
Great company to work for. Excellent benefits package. Diverse environment. Room to grow and move around in. The pay could be more but its a job and pays the bills.
Stress filled environment.
NEPA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 19, 2015
No Raises, including cost of living, unless you request a promotion. No training for new managers on how to deal with different personalities and their issues. There is some travel involved throughout the state for field plan reviews and Public Information meetings. Many of my coworkers were very helpful if I needed information or an explanation of something that I was not sure about.
Pros
Most of my coworkers were very friendly and were wonderful to work with.
Cons
High stress to get documents completed, even though some of the information needed to complete a dodcument comes from other sources.
A great learning experience good place to work
Right-of-Way Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 24, 2015
My day began at7am and stop at 3:30pm. I would have two or 3 calls per day management was ok with that great co workers we work as a team, the hardest part was getting option sign enjoyable part was the time spent with the property owner
Pros
annual leave
Productive workplace
Program Tech/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 5, 2015
Great work environment. Great people. Great attitudes. Great learning experience. Would have been great if they could have kept me in the budget.
Pros
management is great
Cons
hated having to leave
Pleasant place to work
SharePoint Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 3, 2015
Culture is very diverse. professional adherence is key. There are good opportunities to have good careers within the department but find what you love to fit in.
If you enjoy helping people, this job is for you.
Highway Emergency Response Operator (HERO) (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 23, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting stranded motorists. Most of them were so grateful to be assisted quickly because they felt unsafe sitting on the side of the Interstate and the heavy traffic.
Pros
good hours/good benefits
Cons
working on the interstates can be dangerous.
Professional Environment with excellent benefits
Administrative Assistant to the Director (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 23, 2015
I enjoyed working there for 20 years. Excellent professional learning environment with great co-workers. Great opportunity for advancement and training opportunities.
benefits
Cons
long commute
Team player and hard worker
Accountant II (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 9, 2015
Staying structured,focused,organized and completing day to day is what I enjoy doing on a regular work day.This was a very challenging position . However I do enjoy the rush and learned that problems are solutions with work clothes on.
Pros
completing my job and growth opportunity
Cons
no growth