Georgia Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

Sub-par management but annual leave is great!
Accountant I (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 8, 2018
This is my first government role. Everything I heard about government employment holds true. I love the amount of annual leave I accrue each month. There are literally months that I only work 15 days between holidays, Alternative Work Week, and annual leave. I would graciously give all of my managers 1 star. They are just awful. Apparently that's just my department. Everyone else with the agency seems to be happy, so I would say that this is a decent place to work.
Pros
Abundance of annual leave
Cons
Poor Management
It was a very safe and secure place to work and most employes had a fun day at work. You set the tone for your day, you could make it bad or good.
Equipment Operator maintenance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 11, 2017
I had a great job with the DOT. I basically was my own boss. I set my schedule and routine. I was given a nice automobile to ride in, free motel rooms at night and paid for all my meals while on the road. I spent Five nights a week on the road mostly. I went to work on Monday morning and came home Friday night. I truly enjoyed my job because I got to travel over the whole state of Georgia and met tons of people. The employes of the DOT are some of the greatest people in the world. I can never remember a day when I didn't want to go to work. The thing I disliked the most with my job was the yearly equipment inventory. We had a month to do it in and we had to cover the whole state, so we ran from sun up to sun down and sometimes after the sun went down. It was a hard month. The thing I enjoyed the most was traveling and meeting new people. Why did I retire from the DOT, well I was driving four hours one way to work and four hours back and working two hours on the job. One morning I woke up going down the interstate and I said to myself at that time,(Self It Is Time For YOU to GO To The House) it was just to dangerous, Fatigue was getting to me, so I decided to retire then.While working for the DOT I learned how to go down on the lowest level of employment and talk to the employees and then go up to the highest level of employment and talk to the business managers.I learned how to relate with people and interact with them.. .
Pros
Free Meals, Transportation and lodging
Cons
Some times we had to push ourselves to keep going after being up 72 hrs. fighting snow and ice.
Couldn't ask for a better job
Monitor (Former Employee) –  Brunswick, GADecember 5, 2017
Had a great time working with GDOT, wish I could have stayed with them but God put me in a New directions in my life. I went out and monitored the debris from storm damage followed trucks to make sure that all debris was loaded picked up and hauled to the dump
Pros
Excellent place to work
Cons
Good people
Great for the People of Georgia
District Traffic Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Chamblee, GANovember 17, 2017
Working at the Georgia Department of Transportation in the Metro Atlanta area was a great place to work and raise a family. There was balance, coaching and really dedicated people there.
Pros
Great Work Environment
transitional envionment
Accountant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 8, 2017
GDOT is a great place to work is you're looking for a job home without management expectations or job advancement. Great for retirement status or entry level.
Pros
paid leave, discounts, company as a whole is great
Cons
no accountability of management, nepotism type work advancements
Fun work and people
GIS Technician, Appriss Contractor (Current Employee) –  RemoteNovember 2, 2017
Working for the GDOT was a blast! The hours were extremely flexible and each project was highly interesting; even sometimes entertaining. If given the opportunity I would gladly return to this position.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Advancement opportunities limitied
Review Summary as an Intern
Intern (Engineering Service Worker) (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 1, 2017
Great working environment
Good people to work with
Nice views from the office downtown
Workload wasn't strenuous
Pay was decent
Gained a lot of experience
low pay, high medical
Highway Emergency Response Operator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 18, 2017
over 1/4 of your check is paid into medical coverages; pay is low for the job detailed; on the job injuries is extremely high and the compensation is not openly awarded.
Pros
its a job
Cons
not worth losing your limb, possible life
Great people, environment, balance, and work
Right of Way Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chamblee, GAOctober 4, 2017
Great environment with great co workers, in a balanced work setting. The work and projects themselves are very fast paced and detailed oriented. But, the teamwork used and resources makes it easy to accomplish!
Okay
Maintanence Technician (Former Employee) –  Milledgeville, GASeptember 29, 2017
Maintain state highways and keep grass cut on state highways.
maintain all state roads from county to county on a daily basis.
drive dump trucks, tractors loaders, etc. when needed.
GDOT will be here forever
ITS Construction and Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 19, 2017
ITS allowed GDOT to provide better customer service. Otherwise before ITS it appeared to be poor customer service. The personnel must be technical and not just shovels and dirt.
Pros
More technical
Cons
None technical personnel.
Good But Underappreciated Work Environment
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Madison, GAAugust 27, 2017
A typical day consist of inspecting construction work and a lot of paperwork. The Department allows for employees to experience a wide range of construction projects with little experience. However the Department will ask a lot out there good employees with no additional compensation.
Pros
plenty of leave
Cons
under compensated
fast paced
QA Compliance Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 24, 2017
In my role the work is very faced pace with changing priority. It is necessary to have strong project management skills and the ability to set work priority. In addition it is necessary to be a quick learner as laws, policies and procedures are in a constant state of change.
Pros
being a government employee the benefits are at a decent cost
Cons
salary is below market rate for job title and tasks required
Over worked and under paid.
Traffic Operator I (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 11, 2017
Overworked and underpaid. Good benefits. Horrible, horrible management. Very stressful. No work life balance. Calls form the motorist are non stop. Extreme multitasking.
Pros
Money
Cons
Work/Life balance
Excellent
District Contracts Manager (Current Employee) –  Tennille, GAAugust 11, 2017
All around good. Employees were hard working and managers were helpful. This is a great place to work for anyone wanting a steady career. The DOT will always be around.
Multi cultured environment with a lot to learn.
Systems Developer 2 (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 31, 2017
In the time I have worked at my job I have learned a lot and have been given opportunities to apply what I have learned. The job is challenging and I work in many different capacities, such as developer, trainer, administrator, and support specialist. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping others and learning new things. The hardest part of my job is being tasked to solve problems that I didn't create with limited resources and having to seek out resources from difficult people. The most unpleasant part of the job is the management team that I work under and their lack of concern for their people, with a total focus on tasks and output, without consideration of the impact it has on their subordinates.
Pros
Learning many applications and tools.
Cons
Work schedule and the lack of concern from management.
Great Place to work
Utility Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Chamblee, GAJuly 18, 2017
As a former employee of GDOT, I have learn to build relationships with internal and external customers to make sure all utility conflicts are resolved, proper documentations are submitted and all projects are certified on time both Local and GDOT let.
Pros
Lots to Learn and Useful Material, Caring Supervisors
Cons
Work Load and Pay
Job Security
Clerk II (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 17, 2017
About the only thing you can get with this company is job security, but outside of that you should probably consider working for another company. The pay isn't worth the aggravation.
Pros
Lot's of parties for birthday's, retirements, etc...
Cons
Bad pay, managers are petty, co-workers are weird
Ok
Transportation Air and Noise Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 15, 2017
To little work to occupy time. Many times need more work to do to occupy time. HR was really slow in completing paperwork. Supervisors are friendly and helpful.
Georgia Department of Transportation is a good place to work.
EEO Specialist/ADA Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 24, 2017
There are advancement opportunities. The management is very knowledgeable. The job culture is very family oriented.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with other employees.\
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Travel involved