Georgia Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

Laid back work environment
Human Resources Generalist (Current Employee) –  Chamblee, GAFebruary 16, 2017
GDOT offers great work/life balance. The benefits and vacation/sick time accrual are awesome as well. Family oriented.
I saw some cool things
Bus Monitor (Former Employee) –  McDonough, GAFebruary 14, 2017
while i was able to get around a lot and see some cool stuff it just wasn't worth all the gossiping and headaches. some days were fine but when i came down to it at the end of the day you had to make yourself go back.
Pros
saw many different attractions
Cons
the community
I like my job
HR Technician (Current Employee) –  Cartersville, GeorgiaJanuary 25, 2017
I love what I do and the people I come in contact with, I just wish there where more opportunities for advancement. I am in touch with insurance companies, police departments, maintenance crews and they are all great. I love staying busy with paperwork and learning new things as well. I have been here over 10 years and wish I could stay for 20 more, but I need a pay increase.
Pros
Great people to work with.
Cons
no advancement available
Nothing to say
Systems Administrator (remote) (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 23, 2017
This isnt a ideal company for someone who has advance degrees and trying to look for a stable environment that pays well . this company has a lot of Political red tape
A great place to work.
Utility Technician (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, GAJanuary 22, 2017
Gainesville, Georgia District Office. Truly a great place to work.A needed government entity providing much needed assistance to the public. A great deal of interoffice cooperation and many opportunities to learn new skills.
Pros
Good benefit package
Cons
Not a very good salary package
Assistant Foreman (Current Employee) –  Tennille, GAOctober 23, 2016
It is a good place to work starting out but you have to move around there to make good money. I been there for almost 16 years and I have enjoyed it. I am getting older and want something with a little less hard work.
Pros
You will never miss a check " if " you go to work
Cons
but you wont get rich!!
Great workplace
routine maintenance/ sign crew (Former Employee) –  Moreland, GAOctober 19, 2016
A typical day at work is good and enjoyable. I had a great and productive co-worker and management was wonderful. The weather was the hardest part of the job because you're outside working year round. Driving was the most enjoyable part of the job. I got a chance to work and visit different towns and cities of Georgia.
non-productive stressful days
Equipment Operator 1 (Current Employee) –  Reidsville, GASeptember 15, 2016
Typical Day: You never know what you are going to do.

i went from a temporary to permanent and only got a dollar raise then i didn't get a pay raise when i went from maintenance worker to EO1 no pay raise.
Pros
Only work 4 days a week
Cons
10 hours a day
workplace with advanced learning experiences
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  542 west lee street Dawson GA. 39842August 11, 2016
Good work day operating equipment as need and customer service. Loading and unloading materials and repair of small tools.
Pros
Goog work place.
Cons
Weather working in all tapes of weather.
MY opinions
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  DeKalb County, GAApril 28, 2016
It was my pleasure working there.I learned how to drive the heavy equipments and I was able to get my B CDL.It was very challenging but I liked that part of the job.
Great Benefits And Good Pay
Operator II/ Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 25, 2016
Good job with great benefits, however hours are not favorable. Shift changes and made based on seniority. A lot of important work is done pay could be a little more.
Pros
Benefits, PTO
Cons
Short Breaks, No job security, hard to get time off
Experience Varies Between Offices
Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 20, 2016
There is a great deal of turnover in my office specifically. However, the environment changes greatly between offices. Pay has recently been upped for a number of positions to make them more competitive with the private sector.
Will get a lot of experience
IT, Business Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 10, 2016
Hostile Work Environment
Most employees are great
Management Misconduct
Will get plenty of work experience
Can work there comfortably for 2 years
Pros
Layman workers usually great
Cons
Will crush people in an effort to hide their misconduct
Good Job
Equipment Operator 3 (Current Employee) –  Appling, GAMarch 11, 2016
Great job and life balance. Compensation isn't the greatest but sometimes the good out-ways the negative in that aspect.
low morale
Heavy Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Decatur, GAFebruary 23, 2016
working conditions were less than ideal. the benefits of working were plentiful in choice but lacked funding options.
Pros
employee relationships
Cons
working conditions
It was a Decent job
Contruction Inspector (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 26, 2016
Usually my typical day at work would include studying in the morning for what class or course I was going to take in the near future until it was time for work. Then I would do a maintenance check on the equipment to ensure that it was functioning properly and we would go out and do what we were assigned to do that day. I've learned a lot of life's lessons while with GDOT and to deal with each manager according to their personalities and styles of managing. Co-workers were a great ppl to work with and the most enjoyable part of the job. I would say It was no hard part of the job for me, but at the same time, it's not easy either.
Pros
The Benefits package.
Cons
When they cut the yearly raises.
Very informative
Project Manager/ Inspector (Intern) (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAJanuary 26, 2016
I learned a lot as an intern for the GDOT. I was designated as a project manager for my time with them, and I became a more well rounded engineer in the process.
stayed busy and worked independently
HERO Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 18, 2016
enjoyed the job, great coworkers/ employees. very dangerous work. got very busy at times. new management in place now too worried about looking pretty than getting the job done or the employees. just because its a government job doesn't mean its a good place to work at this time.
Pros
work with limited supervision.
Cons
upper management former military and cant let that go.
Good Starter
Inspector Aid/Internship (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAJanuary 11, 2016
Great job coming straight out of college in which will teach a lot about the transportation system. Will give you the basics of what to know for future jobs that work GDOT.
enjoy the work and the client
Right of Way Assistant Acquisition Manager /Agent (Former Employee) –  Chamblee, GADecember 16, 2015
I love the work and the people I manage. Sometime upper management is hard to work with and I feel they preferred to be that way.
Pros
Hour works
Cons
the people take some getting to know

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Georgia Department of Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.

Georgia Department of Transportation Reviews by Location