Georgia Gwinnett College Employee Reviews in United States

Georgia Gwinnett College
Library Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAMarch 19, 2016
Georgia Gwinnett College and its Library offers the full range of library services which are quite good (mostly due to its hard-working staff), however, the majority of its staff are underpaid, part time, dissatisfied and there is an invisible, undisclosed disconnect between staff and management.

Management is obsessed with their library MLS degrees to a fault and spend most of their time on specialized projects, or they go on constant conventions/trips that remove them from day-to-day much-needed structured management. Turnover is high, training is poor, favoritism rampant and job satisfaction is low. Job advancement is virtually non-existent.

The staff lives in terror of student complaints which result in endless write-ups, condemnations and threats. This is so pervasive, the Library Security Staff refuses to adequately deal with students who violate rules.

Computer systems in the Information Commons are poorly maintained and the software is barely adequate for students' needs. To compound that, the Library takes a nearly hands-off approach to managing the computers, preferring instead to let the IT department do everything. It often takes months to get some help desk tickets resolved.
Pros
Full range of library services, co-workers are easy to work with
Cons
Underpaid, too many part time positions, no chance for advancement
Engaging workplace with good patrons to talk to
FITNESS ATTENDANT (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAMarch 14, 2016
Engaging workplace where you would engage with the patrons, clean areas where needed, and rack up weights. I learned that teamwork actually makes the dream work. There was nothing in particular that was hard about the job. The most enjoyable was enaging with the students/patrons.
Pros
Works around school schedule, fun enviorment
Cons
supervisors are too lenient
Fun work place for students
ORIENTATION TEAM LEADER (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAMarch 10, 2016
Worked in between classes, they really care about your well being, making sure you will remain successful while attending the college.
Enjoyable company to work for.
Help Desk Administrator (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAJanuary 25, 2016
Review available upon request if needed from the staffing agent. My experience working at Georgia Gwinnett College is a good one. Great team and staff to work for.
Student Oriented, Convenient.
Student Center Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAJanuary 6, 2016
Working at the Student Center was a very rewarding experience. The Supervisors were very helpful and understanding; we were students and had needs outside of work and the managers/supervisors were extremely reasonable in helping us meet these needs. Coworkers were all motivated and customer-oriented.
Pros
Convenient
Cons
Work disruptions due to school scheduling
Very Productive
Audio Visual Technician I (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAJanuary 4, 2016
I manage 8 student workers in my department. Provide them with daily project and I assist with planning and setting up of events that occur on campus.
Great place for students and friendly environment.
Library Technical Assistant-Stacks Manager (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAOctober 21, 2015
Besides working at night, I enjoy the positive atmosphere. The students are great and the administration cares about its employees. I am growing everyday and I have opportunities here that I have not had before.
Pros
Great Atmosphere
Cons
Cost of living too high in area. Not commensurate to salary.
Regents Test Proctor (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville,GAOctober 19, 2015
Support staff is great and my manager works around my part-time schedule. The job is flexible and offers opportunities to work with different exams.
Good work life balance with little pay
Enrollment Management (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GASeptember 28, 2015
Staff was friendly and helpful. There are many opportunities for advancement. The pay could be higher, but otherwise the environment was pleasant.
an Amazing family
Technology Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  GAAugust 8, 2015
The Support Service Helpdesk was my family for the past 2 years. we work together, eat together, laugh together, and argue with each other. But every minute of working for these guys is a joy to me. coming to work doesn't feel like I'm coming into work. It make me feel like I am contributing to a greater cost. The job teaches me management and strong troubleshooting skill. my co-worker are among the best that I have worked with. the hardest part of the job is that there only so much you can accomplish at a low clearance level. I alway wishes I could take a service further then I actually could.
Pros
Great people(both Bosses and Co-worker)
Cons
Sometime you have to deal with some unstable people
working here was fun
Soedxo-Food Service Worker at Quiznos sub shop (Former Employee) –  GAMay 26, 2015
a regular afternoon was nice here.
I learned costumer service skills
how to prep food and clean and work cash registers.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no breaks
It is a wonderful place to work
STUDENT ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  GAMay 18, 2015
I enjoy working here and the department I work in it is a new school and as long as you are willing to put the work in it is going to continue to grow.
work study student (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAApril 22, 2015
I enjoyed working here very much. However, I was in an office with four other people all day. I prefer to be around customers. It was a grant job, so I never had the opportunity for a raise. 15 hours a week max. Great job for a college student to earn extra money.
Great Place to Work
Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAApril 1, 2015
Great place to work, loved the campus setting and the faculty/staff I worked with. Staff salaries are very low. That is one area I would like to see addressed.
Not recommended to work for
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAMarch 31, 2015
It has a beautiful campus, but professionally is not good. In addition, the pay is very low. Since it is an "open access" institution, most of the students expect their teachers to give them the grade. The students in general put a minimum effort to learn. In the upper level courses, for example, some of them turn papers that are not even at the high school level.

The work is highly demanding: teaching four classes with three preparations (or sometimes two) every semester, in addition to participate both in discipline and college-wide committees, plus mentoring (an average of 30 students), and work closely with students on individual projects (including panels and paper presentations at conferences). There is nothing wrong with this huge amount of work; the problem is that the economic compensation (pay) is very law. A high school teacher makes more than any of the teachers in the social sciences at this college (Georgia Gwinnett College).
Pros
Beautiful campus
Cons
Very law compensation for the amount of work. Bad management; students (in general) not committed;
It Was Okay
Peer Writing Tutor (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAFebruary 12, 2015
I worked as a part-time student employee in multiple departments on campus. The jobs were relaxed but disorganized and mismanaged. The environment felt more business than academy, calling students "guests" or "customers" was not encouraging.
Call Center Environment
Customer Care Agent (Current Employee) –  GADecember 2, 2014
Some semesters are better than others. My co-workers and I get along great.
Easy going great environment for college students
Library Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAOctober 30, 2014
Working at Georgia Gwinnett College was a great during my college years. I was able to work in library, meet people from all around my college, and also have time to study.
Great professors in the Biology Department
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  GAJuly 23, 2014
Mostly I enjoyed my stay here at GGC, it was conveniently located and I appreciated the upper level biology instructors quite a bit.
It is a wonderful place to work
STUDENT ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  GAMarch 23, 2014
I really enjoy working here. Great caring people to with and for also very professional.