Georgia Gwinnett College Employee Reviews

Easy going
Student Assistant for the Student Center (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAMarch 9, 2017
I was a student assistant so not too much was asked from me, however my main job was providing excellent customer service. One of my most enjoyable jobs.
Great Place to work
Veteran Success Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GANovember 21, 2016
Outstanding college and I am proud to be part of a new way of looking at the college experience for students. From the President on down the college is focused on students.
Student focused work place
Student Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gwinnett County, GAOctober 28, 2016
Georgia Gwinnett College does their absolute best to use students that go to the school and give them experience in the work field while also going about their college careers. They focus on making school the top priority while also teaching them valuable skills they will need for the professional realm.
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Gwinnett County, GAAugust 25, 2016
Management is poor and does not communicate well. There is no job security here. The Turnover rate is high. Some people have came and left within the past six months.
Staff experience (non-faculty): Just awful
Anonymous Mid-level Manager (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAAugust 23, 2016
Been here, in a mid-level staff position, almost three years. This place is totally dysfunctional.

This college operates unlike any other college in the world, which is great if you have no experience and no frame of reference for what is best practice. Leadership is very proud of "business efficiencies" which really just boils down to being severely understaffed. Everything is an emergency because information is not shared in a timely manner and we don't have enough people or resources to respond when we do get information. Politics are terrible. Senior leadership is composed mostly of people with no other leadership experience, and all of them are terrified of being thought of as incompetent so they withhold resources and information as a way to keep control. The president is a micro manager on an extreme scale. He will literally jump in and do everyone else's job and sees it as some kind of bizarre form of "servant leadership". It's really just demoralizing to everyone who has devoted time, training, and forgone other opportunities to work here.

Speaking of opportunity, the only people who get promoted as the people who have been here since the early days - like 2009 and before. If you look at Georgia open records you will see what looks like good salaries for staff members. That is only if you were hired before 2009, when budgets were literally too big for what they needed. If you have been hired since then, you suffer from the shrinking budgets and the shrinking salaries to go with them.

If you have experience in your field but it wasn't gained here, you are
  more... not taken seriously and your expertise is questioned constantly. We hear a lot about the "GGC way", which is used as both a bludgeon to keep down innovation or any challenges to the status quo, and an excuse when we have emergency after emergency without any changes to operations. "That's just the GGC way".

Bottom line: The GGC way is terrible. Demoralizing, penny-pinching, stifling, and ultimately harmful to everyone who is not in an executive position. I pray every day that my job search is successful.
Pros
free parking
Cons
Terrible work environment, demoralizing, low pay, no raises, leadership is largely inexperienced, everything is an emergency
Working in the School of Transitional Studies
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAAugust 15, 2016
My particular department is behind the times as far as 'game changing' goes. We are still doing most things by paper when we should be doing them via online. My supervisor is almost 180 years old and needs to retire. A typical day is pretty laid back unless it's around deadlines. We interact with a lot of non-students and parents on a daily basis. In this department, there is no room for advancement unless someone quits or dies. My coworker and I have both attempted to go to other departments and our supervisor has found a way to block us from leaving. Other than that, this is an up and coming campus and it will be great in about 10 more years.
Pros
staff appreciation days, campus activities
Cons
poor management, no room for advancement
Good Place to work as an adjunct
Adjunct Professor of Political Science (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAAugust 3, 2016
Despite the difficulties of working as an adjunct, GGC is not a bad place to work as one. Very supportive staff and colleagues and better pay than other universities.
College
Student (Former Employee) –  Gwinnett County, GAJuly 13, 2016
Attended College here for about two years. This was a new school and the classes and teachers were very helpful. I learned a lot and gained many credit hours here.
Fun Place to get an education
Student Work (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAJune 2, 2016
I loved my position as a student worker. I love my Financial aid family.
It was a very nice chapter in my life.
I gained a lot of customer service experience in this position.
I learned a lot of how to control my temper when dealing with customers
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Nothing really, everything was p
Great Place to work
Part-Time Faculty (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAMay 1, 2016
Very progressive and growing environment that nurtures young talents fitting them for the future economic and social needs
Great Place for Students
Wellness Programming Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAApril 27, 2016
Flexible Schedules were the best. Week or weekend hours, and supervisors understand that school comes first. The only bad this is the low pay and also you cannot work more than 25 hours in a week
Georgia Gwinnett College
Library Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAMarch 19, 2016
Georgia Gwinnett College and its Library offers the full range of library services which are quite good (mostly due to its hard-working staff), however, the majority of its staff are underpaid, part time, dissatisfied and there is an invisible, undisclosed disconnect between staff and management.

Management is obsessed with their library MLS degrees to a fault and spend most of their time on specialized projects, or they go on constant conventions/trips that remove them from day-to-day much-needed structured management. Turnover is high, training is poor, favoritism rampant and job satisfaction is low. Job advancement is virtually non-existent.

The staff lives in terror of student complaints which result in endless write-ups, condemnations and threats. This is so pervasive, the Library Security Staff refuses to adequately deal with students who violate rules.

Computer systems in the Information Commons are poorly maintained and the software is barely adequate for students' needs. To compound that, the Library takes a nearly hands-off approach to managing the computers, preferring instead to let the IT department do everything. It often takes months to get some help desk tickets resolved.
Pros
Full range of library services, co-workers are easy to work with
Cons
Underpaid, too many part time positions, no chance for advancement
Engaging workplace with good patrons to talk to
FITNESS ATTENDANT (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAMarch 14, 2016
Engaging workplace where you would engage with the patrons, clean areas where needed, and rack up weights. I learned that teamwork actually makes the dream work. There was nothing in particular that was hard about the job. The most enjoyable was enaging with the students/patrons.
Pros
Works around school schedule, fun enviorment
Cons
supervisors are too lenient
Fun work place for students
ORIENTATION TEAM LEADER (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAMarch 10, 2016
Worked in between classes, they really care about your well being, making sure you will remain successful while attending the college.
Enjoyable company to work for.
Help Desk Administrator (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAJanuary 25, 2016
Review available upon request if needed from the staffing agent. My experience working at Georgia Gwinnett College is a good one. Great team and staff to work for.
Student Oriented, Convenient.
Student Center Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAJanuary 6, 2016
Working at the Student Center was a very rewarding experience. The Supervisors were very helpful and understanding; we were students and had needs outside of work and the managers/supervisors were extremely reasonable in helping us meet these needs. Coworkers were all motivated and customer-oriented.
Pros
Convenient
Cons
Work disruptions due to school scheduling
Very Productive
Audio Visual Technician I (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAJanuary 4, 2016
I manage 8 student workers in my department. Provide them with daily project and I assist with planning and setting up of events that occur on campus.
Great place for students and friendly environment.
Library Technical Assistant-Stacks Manager (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAOctober 21, 2015
Besides working at night, I enjoy the positive atmosphere. The students are great and the administration cares about its employees. I am growing everyday and I have opportunities here that I have not had before.
Pros
Great Atmosphere
Cons
Cost of living too high in area. Not commensurate to salary.
Regents Test Proctor (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville,GAOctober 19, 2015
Support staff is great and my manager works around my part-time schedule. The job is flexible and offers opportunities to work with different exams.
Good work life balance with little pay
Enrollment Management (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GASeptember 28, 2015
Staff was friendly and helpful. There are many opportunities for advancement. The pay could be higher, but otherwise the environment was pleasant.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Georgia Gwinnett College. Our community is ready to answer.

Georgia Gwinnett College Reviews by Location