Georgia Gwinnett College Employee Reviews

Good college going through growing pains
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GADecember 16, 2017
Georgia Gwinnett College provides access to targeted baccalaureate level degrees that meet the economic development needs of the growing and diverse population of the northeast Atlanta metropolitan region.
Orientation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAOctober 24, 2017
The environment in which I worked was amazing. I had an amazing manager who cared about all of her workers. I enjoyed working in a friendly and stress-free environment.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Competitive
Decent dining hall job
Dining hall cashier (Former Employee) –  Gwinnett County, GASeptember 7, 2017
Just typical job for college students. Management can be fickle. It was not always clear what they wanted. They went through lots of managerial changes in just the few months I was there.

I went in and displayed the food, prepared the coffee, mopped the floors, and checked the cash register as preparation. Afterwards, I just tended the register, when the doors are open. Periodically, I had to go and check on the waffle station and desserts, which were across the hall. I'm hounded at by the manager if I didn't do it in a timely fashion, even if customers were coming in. If I did leave the cash register, then people would occasionally try and sneak in. Just be wary of that when working here.

By nightfall, I had to take down all the machines for cleaning, and the food would need to go into storage. From there, I had to mop the floors, clean the area, then log various things (temperature, money, etc.).

Overall, it was a fairly normal job. Nothing stood out as particularly egregious, other than the awkward multitasking.
Pros
Free lunch and dinner
Enjoyable place to work.
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Gwinnett County, GAAugust 28, 2017
Nice campus and a pleasant place to work. Enjoyable staff and job is not stressful or hard to do. Comfortable atmosphere with really good employees.
Pros
Nice campus
Cons
Part time employees are treated differently then full time employees
Great Job
Student Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAAugust 17, 2017
To be a college student and have a non-stressful job for income on campus is great! Georgia Gwinnett college offers many job opportunities to earn a great income for the work asked of the student.
Not as intimidating as it may seem
Criminal Justice Club Treasurer (Current Employee) –  Gwinnett County, GAJune 22, 2017
It is not a job, more so a duty to fulfill for those with the future of America's government and criminal justice system in mind. No one is paid for their involvement. It just helps everyone make connections and gain experience in their possible future career field.
Pros
Experience and necessary connections.
Cons
Scheduled meetings sometimes interfered with life events.
Awesome!
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Gwinnett County, GAMay 18, 2017
Great little college that really cares about its students. Class sizes are small. Colleagues are very supportive. Overall a great place to work. Constantly changing is the only negative.
Very flexible hours for a college student
Career Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAMay 5, 2017
Working for Georgia was a wonderful experience. It gave me the office experience that I needed and also allowed me to focus on school in the process. I have never worked for anyone who cared about my academics as much as I do. If not more !
Great accessible college
Internship Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Gwinnett County, GAMay 2, 2017
Excellent place for students that work while going to school. Wonderful to have a place that caters to first generation students. A great establishment in Gwinnett
Pros
accessible
Convenient
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAMarch 16, 2017
They made sure to keep you busy with something to do. The hardest part about the job was not being able to answer a question from a student when nobody was around to send them to. Other than that, overall a great experience.
Easy going
Student Assistant for the Student Center (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAMarch 9, 2017
I was a student assistant so not too much was asked from me, however my main job was providing excellent customer service. One of my most enjoyable jobs.
Great Place to work
Veteran Success Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GANovember 21, 2016
Outstanding college and I am proud to be part of a new way of looking at the college experience for students. From the President on down the college is focused on students.
Student focused work place
Student Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gwinnett County, GAOctober 28, 2016
Georgia Gwinnett College does their absolute best to use students that go to the school and give them experience in the work field while also going about their college careers. They focus on making school the top priority while also teaching them valuable skills they will need for the professional realm.
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Gwinnett County, GAAugust 25, 2016
Management is poor and does not communicate well. There is no job security here. The Turnover rate is high. Some people have came and left within the past six months.
Staff experience (non-faculty): Just awful
Anonymous Mid-level Manager (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAAugust 23, 2016
Been here, in a mid-level staff position, almost three years. This place is totally dysfunctional.

This college operates unlike any other college in the world, which is great if you have no experience and no frame of reference for what is best practice. Leadership is very proud of "business efficiencies" which really just boils down to being severely understaffed. Everything is an emergency because information is not shared in a timely manner and we don't have enough people or resources to respond when we do get information. Politics are terrible. Senior leadership is composed mostly of people with no other leadership experience, and all of them are terrified of being thought of as incompetent so they withhold resources and information as a way to keep control. The president is a micro manager on an extreme scale. He will literally jump in and do everyone else's job and sees it as some kind of bizarre form of "servant leadership". It's really just demoralizing to everyone who has devoted time, training, and forgone other opportunities to work here.

Speaking of opportunity, the only people who get promoted as the people who have been here since the early days - like 2009 and before. If you look at Georgia open records you will see what looks like good salaries for staff members. That is only if you were hired before 2009, when budgets were literally too big for what they needed. If you have been hired since then, you suffer from the shrinking budgets and the shrinking salaries to go with them.

If you have experience in your field but it wasn't gained here, you are
  more... not taken seriously and your expertise is questioned constantly. We hear a lot about the "GGC way", which is used as both a bludgeon to keep down innovation or any challenges to the status quo, and an excuse when we have emergency after emergency without any changes to operations. "That's just the GGC way".

Bottom line: The GGC way is terrible. Demoralizing, penny-pinching, stifling, and ultimately harmful to everyone who is not in an executive position. I pray every day that my job search is successful.
Pros
free parking
Cons
Terrible work environment, demoralizing, low pay, no raises, leadership is largely inexperienced, everything is an emergency
Working in the School of Transitional Studies
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAAugust 15, 2016
My particular department is behind the times as far as 'game changing' goes. We are still doing most things by paper when we should be doing them via online. My supervisor is almost 180 years old and needs to retire. A typical day is pretty laid back unless it's around deadlines. We interact with a lot of non-students and parents on a daily basis. In this department, there is no room for advancement unless someone quits or dies. My coworker and I have both attempted to go to other departments and our supervisor has found a way to block us from leaving. Other than that, this is an up and coming campus and it will be great in about 10 more years.
Pros
staff appreciation days, campus activities
Cons
poor management, no room for advancement
Good Place to work as an adjunct
Adjunct Professor of Political Science (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAAugust 3, 2016
Despite the difficulties of working as an adjunct, GGC is not a bad place to work as one. Very supportive staff and colleagues and better pay than other universities.
College
Student (Former Employee) –  Gwinnett County, GAJuly 13, 2016
Attended College here for about two years. This was a new school and the classes and teachers were very helpful. I learned a lot and gained many credit hours here.
Fun Place to get an education
Student Work (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAJune 2, 2016
I loved my position as a student worker. I love my Financial aid family.
It was a very nice chapter in my life.
I gained a lot of customer service experience in this position.
I learned a lot of how to control my temper when dealing with customers
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Nothing really, everything was p
Great Place to work
Part-Time Faculty (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAMay 1, 2016
Very progressive and growing environment that nurtures young talents fitting them for the future economic and social needs