Georgia Highlands College Employee Reviews in United States

Nice Institution for Learning and Committment to Learning
Campus Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Rome, GAMay 3, 2016
Georgia Highlands College is a nice college institution for learning, but working here is totally different. I clock in, patrol on foot, in the golf cart, or in the Campus Safety Truck and report my patrols on our online reporting system called CLERK (Computerized Law Enforcement Record Keeping). I learned to be responsible for myself and my job duties. Part time employees are not treated the same as full time employees in that part time employees are not fully trained for their jobs. Most of my co-workers were o.k., some were edgy, but that goes with the territory on the job. There wasn't really a hard part of the job, it was really pretty easy. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know a lot of new people.
Growing, but room left to grow
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GAJanuary 6, 2016
Things are changing, but it remains unclear whether for the better or worse. There is great potential for positive growth though and I am optimistic about this.
Too much patronage, not enough merit.
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Rome, GASeptember 16, 2015
I worked at the college for eight years. The only salary increases were given to the administration. Faculty was asked to take furloughs and cut costs, while the administration gave themselves annual raises and bonuses. The work load was fair and enjoyable, but the lack of benefits and compensation took the joy away. Too much red tape to bring about changes.
Pros
I loved teaching and being in the classroom. Great colleagues to work with me.
Cons
Administration was extremely adversarial to the faculty, Furloughs plus no raises plus decreased benefits equals bad place to work.
Productive and fun work place.
Assistant Coach (Current Employee) –  Rome, GASeptember 4, 2015
Learned from some very good coaches and everyone I worked with was extremely helpful. Other workers within the school helped the athletic programs and were a big factor in our success.
Fun Work Place
ORIENTATION LEADER (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GAAugust 14, 2015
Orientation Leaders are student role models who serve a vital role in the transition of our first-year students from high school to college as well as helping new transfer students adjust. Orientation leaders are dedicated students who possess strong leadership and communication skills, a desire to be part of a team, and pride in Georgia highlands college. Manger was the best
Pros
Meeting new students, Pay was great.
Cons
Seasonal
Customer Service
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Cartersville, GAMay 11, 2015
Work at the front desk
Greet all students and visitors upon entry.
Answer all incoming phone calls promptly.
Direct callers to various locations as needed.
Log in-house call tickets for all incoming calls and walk-up activity.
Input data into school system Banner.
Scan documents for processing.
Call students for missing documents.
Email students for various reasons including missing documents.
Help students with questions regarding Financial aid.
Help students with questions regarding transcripts.

Hardest part of the job is when you disappoint a student with information they did not want to hear.

Most enjoyable is when a student is so excited when you tell him/her that they are admitted or got the financial aid they applied for. The big thank you and smile is worth all the extra effort.

Co-workers are some of the best; we all had each others backs and was willing to help each other.
Pros
Free education
Cons
had to adhere to state govenment budgets.
Wonderful school
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  multiple locationsJanuary 6, 2015
A great option for students who want the core courses and the university experience without paying university prices for the first two years. Student centered, teacher supported.
Community College that helped model me into a leader
Foundation Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  5175 Cedartown HwyJune 21, 2014
If not in class I was working. i worked close to where I studied. I always enjoyed the up beat work environment. I dealt with customers who were just like me; students.
Good learning enviroment and encouraging administration/professors
STUDENT COORDINATOR, STUDENT SUPPORT SERVICES (Former Employee) –  Rome, GAMay 29, 2014
The education process and the administration help to make the experience fantastic. They were very helpful and encouraging to their students. My position with Student Support Services consisted in helping with Disability Students along with WIA/TRAA students with any learning needs and assistance they might require, such as test proctoring, reading, scribing, or monitoring as needed. Also assisting in other general office/clerical duties needed.
Great School
Dental Hygiene Student (Former Employee) –  Rome, GAMay 18, 2014
This school well prepares you to enter into the job field. They teach you everything necessary to build a resume in hopes to help us all find a great job.
Nice people & facility to work with
Instructor of Biology (temporary) (Former Employee) –  Cartersville, GAMay 23, 2013
This was a very nice place to work with my own (shared) office, a provided laptop, and modern facilities. The only downside was that this was a temporary position that was somewhat remote. Furthermore, mandatory department meetings necessitated a drive of another 30 minutes beyond that of reaching the regular work location.
Pros
great colleagues, modern facility
Cons
remote location, low salary
Productive workplace
Test Proctor (Current Employee) –  Douglasville, GAFebruary 10, 2013
Co-workers are friendly.
The most enjoyable part about this job is that its none stressful, a great place to be employed.
Enjoyable place to work.
Assistant Director, Associate Professor of Nursing (Former Employee) –  Rome, GAOctober 30, 2012
Worked with some very nice faculty who supported each other and worked well together. Enjoyed the culture of the college and working with other disciplines. Management supported faculty. Peer group was very helpful and supportive. The hardest part of this job was traveling between campuses and communication.
Cons
travel between community campuses
Georgia Highlands is a great place to work.
Part time Instructor (Current Employee) –  Rome, Cartersville and Marietta campus in GeorgiaApril 16, 2012
I love the part time teaching position, the work is rewarding and the people are great. I am in charge of the class structure.

The hard part is to motivate the students to come to class and do the work, then dealing with the failures.

Enjoyable part is to see the students learn a new skill that will help them in the rest of their college classes.
Pros
work a few months then i get a few month off.
Cons
part time pay is not that great, for the hours you put in.
Productive Work Place
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Cartersville, GAMarch 15, 2012
GHC is a great employer for the basic necessities. The system of payment is frustrating at first, but the managers are pleasant. The work environment is extremely pleasant.

4.4