Georgia Highlands College Employee Reviews

Most enjoyable part of the job
Clinical Instructor (Former Employee) –  Rome, GAMay 3, 2017
Most enjoyable part of this job was helping students grow in the nursing field. I enjoyed sharing learning experiences with them and encouraging them to expand their critical thinking skills.
My job
Assistant Women Basketball Coach (Current Employee) –  Rome, GAApril 16, 2017
Great!! My job consist of recruiting players for the upcoming season for the Women's Basketball Team. I was required to do 100% of the recruiting, do all of the skill development for each player, I was the strength and conditioning coach, I worked with developing the post players, I was over the housing for the players.
Pros
Meeting new people.
Cons
A lot of time away from your family.
Orientation Staff (Former Employee) –  Rome, GAMarch 19, 2017
Enjoying your co-workers is an important necessity when helping others. Here you truly feel loved and feel like you are making a difference in others lives.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
low pay
Great Place
Professor (Current Employee) –  Rome GeorgiaMarch 19, 2017
Great educational institution to work for because of the students are harding working, the faculty are engaged in their work, and administration is very conscious of the needs of everyone.
Loved being helpful to all the kids
Financial Services Accountant (Former Employee) –  Rome, GAMarch 13, 2017
Good place to work, lacked strong management in the business office. Learned a lot about the process of enrolling and working your way through a two year college experience.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Goverment regulations limit common sense actions to help students
Very rewarding
Adjunct Professor/Accounting (Current Employee) –  Rome, GAFebruary 25, 2017
It is very rewarding to teach in the classroom setting. It is wonderful to reach people and help them learn about accounting.
Pros
Teaching
Cons
N/a
English, Writing, and Spanish Tutor (Current Employee) –  Rome, GAFebruary 20, 2017
Excellent educational institution where skills and abilities are appreciated and achievements are recognized by those in leadership positions. This institution of higher learning is an excellent organization with which to be involved.
Great school
ENGLISH TUTOR/STUDENT ORIENTATION LEADER (Former Employee) –  Rome, GAFebruary 7, 2017
I loved working here while attending school. Great people! I sat in a tutoring center and waited on students to come in and need assistance.
Pros
Works around class load, great people
Cons
low pay
GHC great stepping stone.
Part-time Tutor, English (Current Employee) –  Cartersville, GAJanuary 3, 2017
GHC has been a wonderful opportunity to not only be a student but reach out to students in need of English help. It has been a pleasure to work in an institution of great diversity. I too have learned to grow and mature with my educational growth.
Pros
Friendly Atomosphere
You will be replaced when they find someone cheaper.
a body (Former Employee) –  all of themSeptember 14, 2016
co-workers are great when you can find people that will let you into their circle. Overall great people do work there, but if you speak your mind or not in the many circles that are there you won't last long. Their pay scale is 10 years behind and if you ask for a raise they act like you are ungrateful that you have a job. They talk behind your back and when you talk to them they act like they are your best friend. They don't care about employee's but will talk about family. There is no room to move up unless you are buddy's are a family member of the department that you are trying to go to.
Pros
Great Teachers, some great coworkers, two week vacation at the end of each year.
Cons
Pay, advancement
It was nice to work for Georgia Highlands College.
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Cartersville, GASeptember 11, 2016
I used to tutor at GHC. I had to come up with different strategies to teach the students so they can easily able to remember the material. It's always good to spread the knowledge.
out of business
Student Work Study (Former Employee) –  Cartersville, GASeptember 1, 2016
I love helping ppl to find movies. I wish there were places like Block Busters to watch older movies. one of my favorite jobs expect i never like to up sale and work on the weekends and holidays.
Home Town School
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Rome, GAJuly 6, 2016
Great for first time college students. Low tuition for families. Very close for surrounding communities. GHC has a great athletics program for their school. The coaches are mentors also for each player.
Nice Institution for Learning and Committment to Learning
Campus Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Rome, GAMay 3, 2016
Georgia Highlands College is a nice college institution for learning, but working here is totally different. I clock in, patrol on foot, in the golf cart, or in the Campus Safety Truck and report my patrols on our online reporting system called CLERK (Computerized Law Enforcement Record Keeping). I learned to be responsible for myself and my job duties. Part time employees are not treated the same as full time employees in that part time employees are not fully trained for their jobs. Most of my co-workers were o.k., some were edgy, but that goes with the territory on the job. There wasn't really a hard part of the job, it was really pretty easy. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know a lot of new people.
Growing, but room left to grow
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GAJanuary 6, 2016
Things are changing, but it remains unclear whether for the better or worse. There is great potential for positive growth though and I am optimistic about this.
Too much patronage, not enough merit.
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Rome, GASeptember 16, 2015
I worked at the college for eight years. The only salary increases were given to the administration. Faculty was asked to take furloughs and cut costs, while the administration gave themselves annual raises and bonuses. The work load was fair and enjoyable, but the lack of benefits and compensation took the joy away. Too much red tape to bring about changes.
Pros
I loved teaching and being in the classroom. Great colleagues to work with me.
Cons
Administration was extremely adversarial to the faculty, Furloughs plus no raises plus decreased benefits equals bad place to work.
Productive and fun work place.
Assistant Coach (Current Employee) –  Rome, GASeptember 4, 2015
Learned from some very good coaches and everyone I worked with was extremely helpful. Other workers within the school helped the athletic programs and were a big factor in our success.
Fun Work Place
ORIENTATION LEADER (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GAAugust 14, 2015
Orientation Leaders are student role models who serve a vital role in the transition of our first-year students from high school to college as well as helping new transfer students adjust. Orientation leaders are dedicated students who possess strong leadership and communication skills, a desire to be part of a team, and pride in Georgia highlands college. Manger was the best
Pros
Meeting new students, Pay was great.
Cons
Seasonal
Customer Service
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Cartersville, GAMay 11, 2015
Work at the front desk
Greet all students and visitors upon entry.
Answer all incoming phone calls promptly.
Direct callers to various locations as needed.
Log in-house call tickets for all incoming calls and walk-up activity.
Input data into school system Banner.
Scan documents for processing.
Call students for missing documents.
Email students for various reasons including missing documents.
Help students with questions regarding Financial aid.
Help students with questions regarding transcripts.

Hardest part of the job is when you disappoint a student with information they did not want to hear.

Most enjoyable is when a student is so excited when you tell him/her that they are admitted or got the financial aid they applied for. The big thank you and smile is worth all the extra effort.

Co-workers are some of the best; we all had each others backs and was willing to help each other.
Pros
Free education
Cons
had to adhere to state govenment budgets.
Wonderful school
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  multiple locationsJanuary 6, 2015
A great option for students who want the core courses and the university experience without paying university prices for the first two years. Student centered, teacher supported.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Georgia Highlands College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5