GEORGIA MILITARY COLLEGE

GEORGIA MILITARY COLLEGE Employer Reviews

Review of Dept Chair Position
Department Chair of Criminal Justice (Current Employee), Fairburn, GAJune 18, 2014
Pros: regular professional development, great benefits, enjoyable hours
On a typical day at work, I teach three classes during the morning and early afternoon, and then begin advising and mentoring in the late afternoon. I usually grade papers and such at night from home. I have learned a lot in this position by managing eight departments as well as by being an advisor for my students.

The hardest part of the job is probably – more... getting students to have an open mind when discussing controversial topics. On the other hand, by far the best part of the job is seeing the light in students eyes once they do actually 'get' whatever it is we are talking about. Seeing students go from defiant to actually defending the position they were originally against is incredibly fulfilling. – less
Great work environment.
Work Study Student/Librarian Assistant (Former Employee), Valdosta, GAMay 19, 2014
Pros: i was able to meet new people.
Cons: short breaks and was not paid enough.
It has a very laid back atmosphere. The employees were welcoming and I was able to work independently without constant supervision from my supervisor.
Student- friendly Workplace
Tutor (Former Employee), Madison, GAMay 10, 2014
Pros: valuable life experiences.
Cons: healthcare, benefits
As an employee of GMC, you get the chance to get to get to know and build valuable connections with mostly all the students and faculty. As a tutor, I help a wide variety of people with different ways of learning. The students and co-workers are always so kind, even when Math gets frustrating. The hardest part of the job is having a problem you cannot – more... solve for a student. The most enjoyable part of the job is the sheer joy I get from knowing I help someone understand and solve a problem. – less
Great Job
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Valdosta, GAMay 8, 2014
The only reason I left this job: I moved to Tacoma, Washington. This was the best job I ever had. I was a computer lab monitor and did some exit exams for server courses.
Invigorating Experience
Senior Adjunct Professor (Former Employee), Madison, GAFebruary 1, 2014
I was adjunct so I was only part-time at a satellite campus. I was able to grow my skills in the field of productivity software. Management was very supportive and informative. I enjoyed my fellow adjunct professors both professionally and personally. The hardest part of the job was juggling a 50 hour fulltime position with a 6 hour parttime position – more... both with extensive work outside of the classroom. I enjoyed the close knit campus and the accessibilty of knowing students on a first name basis. – less
Good Place to work
Assistant Athletic Trainer (Former Employee), Milledgeville, GaOctober 29, 2013
Pros: great people
Cons: long days
Good place to work. Good facilities, and staff. Building new athletic facility. State of the art athletic training room.
Unprofessional, Often Hostile Work Environment
Administrative (Former Employee), Warner Robins, GAOctober 28, 2013
Pros: co-workers make for a great team.
Cons: workplace bullying & micro-management provides for a hostile work environment.
On the outside GMC's WR campus appears to be a great place to work. The students are wonderful to work with but the workplace bullying by management is appalling. Not only is the behavior unprofessional but it is demeaning. It is an extremely micromanaged setting with little freedom to make the most basic functional decisions.
Love it
Receptionist (Current Employee), Columbus, GAAugust 26, 2013
Pros: easy and fun
A typical day is answering phones, running errands, and greeting customers. Co-workers are nice and fun.
It was a good job
Grounds Crew Member (Former Employee), Milledgeville, GAAugust 22, 2013
I enjoyed working on the landscape crew. Part of that was setting up for special events like blood drives in the gym or football games or graduation. It was just not landscaping.
Interesting place to work. Learned many things about school admissions.
Admissions Assistant (Current Employee), Martinez, GAJuly 31, 2013
Counseled undergraduate students for educational and professional goals. Reviewed and processed applications. Assisted in organizing recruitment and admission events.
Math Tutoring was fun
Math Tutor (Former Employee), Columbus, GAJuly 17, 2013
Students would walk in and you would make sure to log them into the computer before starting to assist them with math problems they have. I learned different techniques to help people learn in a method that best suits them. My co-workers were friendly and they also assisted me when I had problems. The hardest part of the job is finding an easy method – more... that they would understand to help them in math; however, the most enjoyable part was accomplishing that goal. Seeing them understand the material is exciting. – less
Collegues very pleasant
ACADEMIC LABORATORY ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Milledgeville, GAJuly 14, 2013
The position was extremely pleasant and informative in the technical arena but beyond the position management imported too much politics from other departments into the workspace.
Brief teaching experience at the community college level
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee), Martinez, GAJuly 11, 2013
Pros: personal fulfillment in achieving something i had never done before
Cons: i took on too much at once. grading papers was never fun.
After I obtained my dual masters degrees, I was eager to see if I could apply this education to some other area. I actually took this teaching job and another one at the same time, while I worked full time as the Director for Clinical Research. I am not sure what I was thinking (perhaps that I am Wonder Woman!), but I would work all day full time, leave – more... that job and teach 3-4 nights a week at one or the other school. I did this for about a year and a half.

I learned very quickly not to bite of more than you can chew! However, once I commit to something, I am determined to make it happen. I managed ALL these jobs and responsibilites without ever missing a deadline, but it left my personal and home life lacking. This is not good balance and not wise to work that much.

I had a wonderful boss that was very understanding of my work situation. I was helping them and they were offering me a new experience. It was mutually beneficial.

The people at the college were very helpful at any time I needed it. Having never been an adjunct professor, there were always questions I had about small things that seem obvious but were not. I always had others around me willing to help.

The hardest part of my job was making sure I didn't miss anything that was required of me by the college. Being unfamiliar with this type of employment, I tried very hard to remain compliant on all levels. The most enjoyable part of my job was watching students learn as I shared what I know with them. I also found it very rewarding to help students succeed. How rewarding! – less
enjoyed running errons and helping others
Assistant (Former Employee), Milledgeville, GAJuly 8, 2013
Pros: enjoyed working
Great experience, friendly staff. My duties were running errons, shredding paper work, or what was needed at the time.
I love GMC
Tutor (Current Employee), Fairburn, GAMarch 7, 2013
Pros: flexibility, learning, fun
I love my job as a tutor at GMC. I help people learn everyday. Tutoring is fun because I learn things about students that I wouldn't have known before. My boss is also a professor and he is a good person. I have never had a disagreement with him. I love that I can spend my time helping traditional and non traditional students learn and experience GMC's – more... core values of Duty, Honor and Country. – less
Fast pace workplace
Night Clerk (Former Employee), Warner Robins, GADecember 14, 2012
The place is great, the mangament is very friendly, the dutites are not that difficult to do, and the location is great
Stay to yourself is always best
Communications (Current Employee), Milledgeville, GANovember 5, 2012
Sit in front a computer for 8 hours a day, interact with a lot of the students, nothing really hard about the position, most enjoyable about the position was the paid time off.
Work Related
Bookstore Clerk (Former Employee), Augusta, GaJune 30, 2012
Pros: staying busy, no weekends
Cons: low pay
Stocking books, helping students with books for their classes.