Georgia Southern University Employee Reviews in United States

Productive days
Food Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAFebruary 8, 2016
A typical day working at GSU was very productive. I picked up many qualities that shape me into a wonderful person to work alongside. Most of the managers were amazing. The downside of management was it was so many that I did not get to build business-personal relationships with them all. Co-workers were great and we perfected teamwork. The hardest part of the job was closing. The most enjoyable part of the job was working hard together to deliver a wonderful service.
Pros
Food, New Relationships
Cons
Great environment with productive staff.
Senior Community Leader (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAAugust 4, 2015
Fun and diverse environment. Focused on teamwork and staff bonding activities. Communication and leadership skills were key to success. If you did not have those skills before the job, they were developed as you moved through the year.
Pros
Great environment, Opportunities from guest speakers, Improve communicative and leadership skills
Cons
Barely any salary, Difficult time management
Engaging, fun environment.
Tele-Counselor (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAJuly 5, 2016
A typical work day was 4 hours long, starting at 5:00. Our office's objective was to call prospective Georgia Southern Students and inform them of opportunities to learn more about our school and encourage them to apply before the deadlines. Our supervisors were helpful, and the team was very close. This helped me learn how to manage my time and make sacrifices for work, so that could deliver an exemplarily product to my manager and office.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Short breaks
An Ok Temporary Job
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Statesboro, GAOctober 11, 2015
The Dining Commons is an ok place to work, but not the best. The pay is poor compared to the amount of work being done, they are consistent in being understaffed, and they are unorganized.
Pros
Slightly affordable meal plan
Cons
Low pay, no benefits, inconsistent
Fun and Enjoyable Experience
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Statesboro, GAMay 22, 2015
I would have to say that this, by far, was the most rewarding experience I've had to date in my career. I typically would be scheduled at manageable shifts and learned effective time management. A lot of valuable human interaction was gained in the form of working with students and helping as much as possible. I also received a lot of communication with faculty and staff members to help make the learning environment an enjoyable one.

On the job, I was able to observe and learn how to work with different types of people based on their personality. With that gained knowledge and observance, I effectively learned how to make the work environment better for myself and hopefully everyone else.

Overall it was a very fun and enjoyable experience that I would love another opportunity to do if I further my education.
Pros
Hands on lab experience, effective communication, very comfortable environment, management worked very well, flexible hours, amazing students
Cons
Low stipend salary, co-workers at times, little to no insurance, work experience limited
Best job I've ever had
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAMay 14, 2016
Worked 2 days a week teaching 5 sport-based classes to undergraduate students

I learned how to work with others, how to be patient, how to be flexible, how to stay firm on my policies/procedures

Hardest part was leaving

The most enjoyable part was teaching something I love and building connections with my students
Pros
very fun work environment. Did not feel like a job
Productive and laid back atmosphere
Research assistant (Former Employee) –  Brannen HallJuly 20, 2016
Typically at work I would come in and greet each person I saw. I would get to work until I needed a break. Every was always friendly and willing to socialize when not in the midst of work.
Pros
Nice people, slower atmosphere
Cons
Difficulty with administration at time.
Excellent school and work environment
STUDENT ATHLETE TUTOR/MENTOR (Current Employee) –  Statesboro, GAMay 6, 2016
The ASC works with my class schedule and allows me sufficient time to study for courses. Since a GPA of 3.50+ is required, this is beneficial for everyone.
Pros
I get to teach my own way and teach in what I enjoy.
Cons
I am not allowed to contact students directly, meaning that scheduling is done through a third party and harder.
good working environment
Assistant Conference Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAJune 24, 2016
Excellent for working with students who are learning how to make it in the working world. Easy getting along with co-workers and getting to view each others ideas and use them.
Pros
excellent environment
Cons
usually low compensation
Departments under transition
Project Assistant (Current Employee) –  Statesboro, GAMay 15, 2016
Although the university produces wonderful students, the departments are under transition towards progress. Unfortunately it greatly halts the ability to move forward in the department due to constant changes in job description and management.
Cons
High turnover
Athlete Services Tutor
Athlete Services (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAJuly 21, 2016
Ability to schedule when you want to work
Knowledgeable supervisors
Learned to work with different personalities
Your check depended on the amount of appointments set
Pros
Working with athletes
Cons
I don't want to leave a review
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAApril 27, 2016
I don't want to leave a review, but the site is forcing my hand.
I had a wonderful time at Georgia Southern. I don't want to leave, but I have to. I love the professors. The treat me like family- as well as other students too. I proud to say that I will always be a GA Southern Eagle!
Maintain HVAC control equipment and Fire alarm control equipment
Maintenance Worker I (Current Employee) –  Statesboro, GAMarch 24, 2016
Normal day to day operations consist of monitoring building operations on Metasys. Trouble shooting HVAC control equipment, and making necessary repairs. Keeping up with preventative maintenance schedules on both HVAC control equipment and building fire alarm systems.
internship, fun, learning experience
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAJuly 7, 2016
My internship was a great learning experience after college. I worked a half a day but learned a lot in the process.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
no pay
Absolutely fantastic place to work as a student!
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Statesboro, GAApril 14, 2016
Worked in the chemistry department and absolutely loved it! Everyone was super nice and it really helped to get your foot in the door for job experience.
Pros
Fun, You learn a lot, everyone is super nice
Cons
Poor pay, no benifits.
Enjoyable place to work. Campus was employee as well as student friendly always trying to enhance the employees experiences.
University Housing HR Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Statesboro,GAApril 7, 2015
• Handle and maintain Workers Compensation
• Hiring and Termination Processes
• Maintenance of employee files
• Staff recognition and events coordinator
• Assist with additional departmental training and development
• Serve on Student Affairs committee for University employee events
Pros
Great work environment.
Cons
State pay
Georgia Southern
Multicultural Student Center, Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAAugust 15, 2012
A work day is usually packed. Everything is focused on the student so if your not meeting with students you are working with other professionals to improve services for students. The work environment was calm and friendly with good job security and ok benefits. How you were regarded as professional depended on a variety of factors , but if you make the effort to make connections you can do well. The hardest part of the job would be the crazy hours worked. Depending on what is going on with students you can work 12-14 hours day or regular eight hours days. Making sure you keep life in balance can become a little challenging. The best part of the job is the friendly and supportive work environment.
Pros
free food, friendly work environment
Cons
non-traditional work hours
Fast paced environment with an enormous team of caring individuals
Student Financial Aid Asst. II (Current Employee) –  Statesboro, GaApril 24, 2014
I verify incoming documents from the parents and students of the Georgia Southern University and award them as needed.

I also am efficient in adjusting the student loans by either reducing or adding additional funds to their budget as needed.

I answer incoming phone calls and discuss the students financial plan or any other issues involving financial aid.

The most enjoyable part of my day and job as a whole I is defintely the interaction with people. I love working with people and meeting new people I think that in itself is an experience that helps shape and mold ones character.

The hardest part of my job I'd have to say is watching our work study students that we hire go throughout college and watching them leave. We are a close knit family here at Southern I would defintely encourage anyone to apply for a job there.
Cons
no raises, no free parking, expensive health care
Great experience while in college
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAJune 16, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job is to be able to teach my peers about health and how to properly exercise. Also the benefits were good! Who wouldn't want their tuition paid for?!
Frinedly Environment
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Statesboro, GAMarch 18, 2016
As an educational institute, they are very organized about the curriculum. The instructors are down to earth and always ready to help students with their problems.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Georgia Southern University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4