Georgia Southern University Employee Reviews

An very large atmosphere. We service over 5,000 freshman
Administrative Technical Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Statesboro, GASeptember 10, 2012
During my employment I have witnesses a profound growth in the University. The past two years have been seen and average of 5,000 incoming freshmen per year. During my employment, the university has added two residence halls to now total seven halls.

A typical day at work for me is overseeing the Internet service of all of the residence halls. I manage an office of three student workers. Our job is to respond to customer complaints regarding Internet connectivity. We are to the first line of defense when students have issues regarding their connectivity. We are to make sure they have the proper authentication software and antivirus software. If their is a problem with the network, we are to verify the problem and report it to the network/telecommunication department.

We are also responsible for the servicing of eight different professional departments, We maintain their workstations, printers, and other network enabled devices. This is a very large university and we are constantly working to keep up with the troubleshooting demand.

I have learned a lot about teamwork, management, and changing and evolving of technology and how it effects our daily lives.

I have also learned that working for a large university has a major disadvantage when multiple technology departments have to be involved which troubleshooting a single work order. Each department has its own rules and regulations that hamper the ability for a work order to be completed in a timely manner. That in turn tends to leave a bad impression on our department.

The hardest part about my job is when we received a
  more... work order from a student or staff member. The work order will include us involving another department in resolving the issue. As stated earlier, each department has its own standards of daily operations and it makes it difficult for us because we are the middle man between the customer and the department and that reflects a since of incompetence on our part.

The most enjoyable pare about my job is when I complete a work order and feel and since of gratitude from the customer. It is always a great feeling when you have helped another person resolve their situation and allow them to resume their job duties. It's also rewarding to help out a student when they are having Internet connection issues. Once their issue issue is resolved, they are allowed to continue with their studies.
Pros
if you are a full time benefitted employee, you will be able to receive free tuition if you wish to continue your education.
Cons
this a very bureaucratic system that is in place at gsu, many different departments that tend to hamper decisions.
Productive and great place to work
Cleaning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAAugust 18, 2014
I was fortunate to work in two different departments in the University Housing Department of Georgia Southern University, I began the summer working as a cleaning assistant and ended the summer working as a member of the linen crew which allowed me to work more closely with various other departments of the University Housing department. A typical day at work starts at eight a.m in freshman dorms. Depending on where I was assigned for the week I would either deep clean the dorm or make a linen sets for parents of new-coming freshman. To be frank, some days on the job were difficult but my co-workers and I learned how to deal with whatever challenges came our way. The hardest part of the job was coming into contact with rooms that were disagreeable in appearance, but the most enjoyable part of the job were being able to form friendships with co-workers and having friends to help you get through the rough times and the bad days that we encountered. Overall, I enjoyed working for Georgia Southern University and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.
Fun and Enjoyable Experience
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Statesboro, GAMay 22, 2015
I would have to say that this, by far, was the most rewarding experience I've had to date in my career. I typically would be scheduled at manageable shifts and learned effective time management. A lot of valuable human interaction was gained in the form of working with students and helping as much as possible. I also received a lot of communication with faculty and staff members to help make the learning environment an enjoyable one.

On the job, I was able to observe and learn how to work with different types of people based on their personality. With that gained knowledge and observance, I effectively learned how to make the work environment better for myself and hopefully everyone else.

Overall it was a very fun and enjoyable experience that I would love another opportunity to do if I further my education.
Pros
Hands on lab experience, effective communication, very comfortable environment, management worked very well, flexible hours, amazing students
Cons
Low stipend salary, co-workers at times, little to no insurance, work experience limited
Steady work place takes a long time to advance.
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAOctober 9, 2014
Assign and supervise staff.
Make major decisions promptly and effectively.
Train staff to adhere to proper safety guidelines per regulations and ensure regulations are followed once training is completed.
Attend meetings to discuss the most efficient processes for completing multiple tasks at an event.
Transport equipment in company vehicles such as box trucks, vans, and trucks to and from events.
Pick up orders from warehouse turn in documents that correspond with orders to management. Sign for truck orders and stock deliveries in stockroom.
Performed maintenance on company equipment which included disassembling, cleaning, diagnosing and fixing all problems when appropriate, and collaborating with mechanical technicians on major repairs.
Hardest part of the job is other employees not taking responsibilty for mistakes, which envokes new policies for everyone to follow.
Pros
work life, work environment
Cons
slow advancement
Fast paced environment with an enormous team of caring individuals
Student Financial Aid Asst. II (Current Employee) –  Statesboro, GaApril 24, 2014
I verify incoming documents from the parents and students of the Georgia Southern University and award them as needed.

I also am efficient in adjusting the student loans by either reducing or adding additional funds to their budget as needed.

I answer incoming phone calls and discuss the students financial plan or any other issues involving financial aid.

The most enjoyable part of my day and job as a whole I is defintely the interaction with people. I love working with people and meeting new people I think that in itself is an experience that helps shape and mold ones character.

The hardest part of my job I'd have to say is watching our work study students that we hire go throughout college and watching them leave. We are a close knit family here at Southern I would defintely encourage anyone to apply for a job there.
Cons
no raises, no free parking, expensive health care
Perfect employer for full time students
University Store Receiving Specialist (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAOctober 9, 2014
I worked in the receiving department of the University Store for Georgia Southern University for 2 years. As a part-time employee I received and recorded all items and documentation delivered to the establishment. This ranged from student textbooks to school apparel and novelties. I also shipped out returns and accounted for supplies and material in the store's inventory.

While on campus, when I wasn't in class, I would be working at the University Store. This created a healthy balance for myself.

The best part about this job was that it was a low-stress job that consistently provided for me throughout my continued education. The management worked in unison to provide fair opportunities for their employees. They gave responsibility to those who worked for it, and gave everyone a chance to succeed.
Pros
worked around student class schedule
Productive workplace where everyone was friendly and helpful.
Ticket Officer (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GADecember 30, 2014
A typical day at work started and ended with handing out tickets all over the Georgia Southern campus. We wrote tickets for all types of traffic violations and booted individuals that needed to pay their tickets. I learned a lot about how to deal with all types of people. I learned control in all situations and how to handle every person n a calm productive way. Everyone that I worked with looks out for one another and ensured that no officer was in a situation they couldn't get out of. The hardest and most enjoyable part of this job is just enforcing the rules. Without rules there is chaos and although many people didn't appreciate what I did which made the job difficult, I felt as if i was doing a service for the individuals that were doing the right but the rules of the parking office.
GSU in Statesboro as a doctoral fellow
Doctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GASeptember 6, 2012
A doctoral fellowship at GSU is about being offered the opportunity to work on your studies and your dissertation in a scholarly enclave, protected from the stress of an outside job. To take advantage of it properly, one must give over everything to one's studies. This precious gift of a doctoral fellowship is easily wasted with all the tempting social aspects a university campus and town offers. At GSU my particular professors were more than helpful, willing to share, and were supportive. The only person who can mess you up, is you. This is a progressive college of education.
Pros
support, scholarship, access to well known scholars, research materials, technology, opportunities to present your papers
Cons
intra-rival politics among profs, prof rivalry w/students, prof take intellec prop of students w/o credit.
Georgia Southern
Multicultural Student Center, Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAAugust 15, 2012
A work day is usually packed. Everything is focused on the student so if your not meeting with students you are working with other professionals to improve services for students. The work environment was calm and friendly with good job security and ok benefits. How you were regarded as professional depended on a variety of factors , but if you make the effort to make connections you can do well. The hardest part of the job would be the crazy hours worked. Depending on what is going on with students you can work 12-14 hours day or regular eight hours days. Making sure you keep life in balance can become a little challenging. The best part of the job is the friendly and supportive work environment.
Pros
free food, friendly work environment
Cons
non-traditional work hours
Good job for a student in college who doesn't have too many financial responsibilities and doesn't mind some hard work
Housing Facilities, Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Statesboro, GAJuly 5, 2015
Overall a good place to gain experience different areas of expertise. They pay is good for a college student especially with the relatively low cost of living in Statesboro, GA. Management can be very overbearing and controlling. Management do not really listen to the student workers opinions. Student workers are forced to go to meetings that don't really apply to them. Student workers also aren't given any recognition for their good work. Student workers were allowed to take advantage of the appreciation lunches provided for the staff from time to time.
Pros
Free Lunches from time to time
Cons
Management can be a bit overbearing sometimes
Research work in mechatronics
Research Assistant - Mechatronics (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAMay 13, 2014
This work was voluntarily carried out to research the capabilities of a mobile phone integrated with the increasingly popular Arduino MCUs. Typical prototyping work was independently carried out, and would result in late hours after class sifting through lines of codes or with a multimeter checking for correct wiring. I was overseen by a professor, who urged me to keep relevant logs and a record of all software versions to ensure stability. The work had a steep learning curve and much of the material, such as developing in Java, was new and had never been formally learned. The work was very rewarding, opening up mechatronic system application ideas that I would like to pursue as a hobby or for industrial applications.
Visiting Professor (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GASeptember 11, 2013
- A typical day at work encompassed reviewing lesson plans, scheduling, making copies, working up documents and rubrics, teaching classes, grading, accessing student and lesson success, and meeting with superiors.
- I learned classroom management skills and became better and multi-tasking.
- Management was supportive and expectations were very clear.
- Co-workers were friendly and gave wonderful advice.
- The hardest part of the job was addressing individual student needs simultaneously in a large classroom environment. The difficulty encountered made me far more efficient at multitasking and planning for group instruction.
- The most enjoyable part of the job included individual interactions with students and witnessing student growth.
Very relaxed tutoring environment.
MATHEMATICS TUTOR/TEACHING ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Statesboro, GAJune 26, 2014
A typical day at work consists of me sitting in a computer lab of about 100 computers and students come in for help with mathematical concepts. I am required to know everything from College Algebra through Calculus 2, but I also know Intro Statistics & Calculus 3. I have learned many ways to bring others to a complete understanding. My coworkers & I work together if we are presented with a topic we may not be 100% sure of, but we all have the goal of helping the students. All of my coworkers are undergraduate & graduate students. I enjoyed seeing the smile on the student's face one the lightbulb went off in their head.
Pros
relaxed environment for learning.
Cons
limited hours
Division I Athletics
Athletic Director's Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAFebruary 17, 2015
Working at GSU was a wonderful experience. I learned so much about running and operating a division I program in the NCAA. As an athlete at Georgia Southern for five years you don't see what happens behind the scenes to make your experience what it is. By being our AD's personal assistant I got to experience what it was like and how things work. I assisted in the planning of meetings and events. I also worked extensively with computers and Microsoft programs that I had not previously had the chance to do. I loved working behind the scenes because I knew it was benefiting the athletes at our wonderful university and that made my job very enjoyable.
Comfortable Working Environment
Community Leader and Community Assistant (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAOctober 13, 2015
Living around my residents helped in the overall community environment.
Being a leader for residents at the Residence Hall
Creating an environment where residents feel safe and at home
Ensuring the well-being of each student (in a genuine way)
Connecting residents with similar interests through intentional interactions
Enforce University Housing and Student Code of Conduct policies
Be a first responder during emergency situations
Act as a liaison between the residents and University Housing.
On active duty, Complete the rounds to check on residents and complete the duty log
Productive, busy atmosphere with a warm staff.
Administrative Assistant, Office of the Provost (Former Employee) –  Statesboro GeorgiaSeptember 17, 2014
Although intimidating at first, I grew to love working for Georgia Southern . The staff in the Provost Office were very warm and inviting from the beginning of my experience. I was able to learn how to work in a top-bottom management system. The hardest part of the job were the times when there were multiple deadlines coinciding with one another. The most enjoyable part of the job, for me, was the calm and relief that followed completing a tedious project.
Pros
free lunches, flexible work schedule
Cons
pay
Great workplace and fantastic faculty
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Statesboro, GAApril 28, 2015
Georgia Southern has a great small scale feel. Through my years of tutoring and time as a GA, I can honestly say that I would do it over again if I had to. The money isn't great, but it's very good to live in Statesboro.

I learned a lot about how to communicate with adults, and instruct them through physics and mathematics concepts. The management was very great, and always helpful if time was needed off.

The worst part about tutoring is sometimes being the only tutor capable of answering certain questions.
Pros
management, hours
Professional work environment
Administrative Secretary (Current Employee) –  Statesboro, GAAugust 31, 2012
Looking to work at a very professional school of higher education. I am very organized, multitasker, very focused. The hardest part of any job would be making everybody happy and the most enjoyable part would be working with a team and everybody enjoying what they do. I enjoy learning new things and working with people who will help me to build on my current skills.

A typical day at work for me would be very organized, and planned from beginning to end.
Pros
monday thru friday-no holidays or weekends-great health plan
Cons
distance

Comment – October 4, 2012

I am an alum of GSU and want to start a career working in Higher Ed. Does anyone know if GSU is willing to hire an alum for a job on campus.

Lab Prep
Laboratory Associate (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAMarch 26, 2015
This job was light work. This was originally a work study job that I was fortunately able to obtain. On average it was a five to eight hour work week. Typical day of work was cleaning the used supplies and restocking the materials need for the next class. Where you would set up for classes' labs. Management was nice. I did not have any coworkers. There was were no challenges with the job. Completion and know that the classes went smoothly because all of the need material was present in the classes was rewarding
Pros
Self-paced
Cons
Not many work hours
A reliable, enjoyable dining establishment
Food Service Worker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GaSeptember 27, 2012
Lunch hours are usally the highlight of the day. Hundreds of students across campus come to eat at some of the best dining establishments on Georgia Southern campus. There are a variety of food choices and different payment options. Employees strive to give the best customer service on campus. Management is always on standby; willing and eager to help. The best part of the job experience was meeting new people and being a part of a team that prepares some of the best food in the 'boro.

4.4