Georgia Southern University Employee Reviews

Fun workplace
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAJanuary 29, 2015
Laid back workplace, very involved with the campus and students.
Come in at 10:00 a.m. to open the store and set up, serve customers, I would have a 30 minute to an hour break (depending on how many hours I worked that day), start pre-cleaning a half hour before closing.
Pros
Work life balance was great, they worked my schedule around my classes
Cons
Management not all on the same page
Very Productive and Fun loving workplace
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Statesboro, GAJanuary 4, 2016
Extremely good atmosphere for students, productive and job loving people. Good to work with this organization. The staff is very supportive and helpful. There is a lot opportunity to learn and apply your abilities. In nutshell - good !
Pros
Supporting Staff
Cons
Hot Climate
Perfect employer for full time students
University Store Receiving Specialist (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAOctober 9, 2014
I worked in the receiving department of the University Store for Georgia Southern University for 2 years. As a part-time employee I received and recorded all items and documentation delivered to the establishment. This ranged from student textbooks to school apparel and novelties. I also shipped out returns and accounted for supplies and material in the store's inventory.

While on campus, when I wasn't in class, I would be working at the University Store. This created a healthy balance for myself.

The best part about this job was that it was a low-stress job that consistently provided for me throughout my continued education. The management worked in unison to provide fair opportunities for their employees. They gave responsibility to those who worked for it, and gave everyone a chance to succeed.
Pros
Worked around student class schedule
STATISTICAL CONSULTANT AND TEACHING ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Statesboro, GAJanuary 23, 2016
I enjoyed working as a teaching assistant at Georgia Southern University. I also liked helping students by clarifying their confusions and assisting professors with their research.
Visiting Professor (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GASeptember 11, 2013
- A typical day at work encompassed reviewing lesson plans, scheduling, making copies, working up documents and rubrics, teaching classes, grading, accessing student and lesson success, and meeting with superiors.
- I learned classroom management skills and became better and multi-tasking.
- Management was supportive and expectations were very clear.
- Co-workers were friendly and gave wonderful advice.
- The hardest part of the job was addressing individual student needs simultaneously in a large classroom environment. The difficulty encountered made me far more efficient at multitasking and planning for group instruction.
- The most enjoyable part of the job included individual interactions with students and witnessing student growth.
Dietetic internship
Dietetic Intern (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GANovember 12, 2015
I enjoyed my experience as an Intern at Georgia Southern. I got the opportunity to work in various settings and with many different personality types. I am confident and ready to start a career in this field.
Great workplace and fantastic faculty
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Statesboro, GAApril 28, 2015
Georgia Southern has a great small scale feel. Through my years of tutoring and time as a GA, I can honestly say that I would do it over again if I had to. The money isn't great, but it's very good to live in Statesboro.

I learned a lot about how to communicate with adults, and instruct them through physics and mathematics concepts. The management was very great, and always helpful if time was needed off.

The worst part about tutoring is sometimes being the only tutor capable of answering certain questions.
Pros
management, hours
Graduate Assistant
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAAugust 5, 2015
Worked 20 hours per week which was a requirement for the position while enrolled for MBA courses. I enjoyed having the freedom to work on projects related to my degree and expanding my horizons. Overall, I enjoyed my work but departmental problems with faculty and staff sometimes made things uncomfortable.
Pros
Great opportunities to advance educational experience.
Cons
In house politics could make working environment uncomfortable.
Awesome culture
Auditor III (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAOctober 26, 2015
GSU is a great place to work. The campus is amazing and the job was fulfilling. I was encouraged and allowed to receive continuation education classes and attend conferences. I was taught new ways of organizing and completing audits which helped me in my report writing. My manager was of solid character and was a source of support.
Pros
College campus, friendly people
Cons
The office building was a temporary building with cramped offices.
Civilized workplace
Dining Services/ Custodian (Former Employee) –  Statesboro,GaJune 5, 2014
Work was easy just long hours.
Learned how important it is to have a good appearance.
Management needs a lot of work because the chain of command is off.
The most enjoyable part about working there u eat free.
Pros
Eat Free
Cons
Chain of Command
GSU in Statesboro as a doctoral fellow
Doctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GASeptember 6, 2012
A doctoral fellowship at GSU is about being offered the opportunity to work on your studies and your dissertation in a scholarly enclave, protected from the stress of an outside job. To take advantage of it properly, one must give over everything to one's studies. This precious gift of a doctoral fellowship is easily wasted with all the tempting social aspects a university campus and town offers. At GSU my particular professors were more than helpful, willing to share, and were supportive. The only person who can mess you up, is you. This is a progressive college of education.
Pros
support, scholarship, access to well known scholars, research materials, technology, opportunities to present your papers
Cons
intra-rival politics among profs, prof rivalry w/students, prof take intellec prop of students w/o credit.
Lab Prep
Laboratory Associate (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAMarch 26, 2015
This job was light work. This was originally a work study job that I was fortunately able to obtain. On average it was a five to eight hour work week. Typical day of work was cleaning the used supplies and restocking the materials need for the next class. Where you would set up for classes' labs. Management was nice. I did not have any coworkers. There was were no challenges with the job. Completion and know that the classes went smoothly because all of the need material was present in the classes was rewarding
Pros
Self-paced
Cons
Not many work hours
Great
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAJanuary 13, 2016
Great University that I learned a lot in. The college of engineering is growing rapidly and getting great exposure to several different areas.
Nursing School
Observe Nurses (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAJanuary 20, 2016
helpful teachers
Teamwork among students
Heavy learning content

Helped make connections to material taught and our experiences in the hospital
Loved this internship
Athletics Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAOctober 30, 2015
I enjoyed working for my alma mater and gaining experience in the sport business field. Great culture and a great staff to work around. I never felt like I was at work. I enjoyed every minute of this job.
Productive, busy atmosphere with a warm staff.
Administrative Assistant, Office of the Provost (Former Employee) –  Statesboro GeorgiaSeptember 17, 2014
Although intimidating at first, I grew to love working for Georgia Southern . The staff in the Provost Office were very warm and inviting from the beginning of my experience. I was able to learn how to work in a top-bottom management system. The hardest part of the job were the times when there were multiple deadlines coinciding with one another. The most enjoyable part of the job, for me, was the calm and relief that followed completing a tedious project.
Pros
Free lunches, flexible work schedule
Cons
Pay
Fantastic place to work,
Server (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAFebruary 21, 2015
Working at GSU is a dreams. To be frank everything is explained, clear and precise. A person's job and expectations are clear and easy to understand without a whole bunch of this or that. The people one works with are professional and helpful and not just the management. A person is placed to their strengths and even listened to when they have an idea to improve within an area. Additionally showing an interest in other areas in encouraged. I loved working there.
Cons
Not much movment.
A reliable, enjoyable dining establishment
Food Service Worker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GaSeptember 27, 2012
Lunch hours are usally the highlight of the day. Hundreds of students across campus come to eat at some of the best dining establishments on Georgia Southern campus. There are a variety of food choices and different payment options. Employees strive to give the best customer service on campus. Management is always on standby; willing and eager to help. The best part of the job experience was meeting new people and being a part of a team that prepares some of the best food in the 'boro.
Productive workplace where everyone was friendly and helpful.
Ticket Officer (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GADecember 30, 2014
A typical day at work started and ended with handing out tickets all over the Georgia Southern campus. We wrote tickets for all types of traffic violations and booted individuals that needed to pay their tickets. I learned a lot about how to deal with all types of people. I learned control in all situations and how to handle every person n a calm productive way. Everyone that I worked with looks out for one another and ensured that no officer was in a situation they couldn't get out of. The hardest and most enjoyable part of this job is just enforcing the rules. Without rules there is chaos and although many people didn't appreciate what I did which made the job difficult, I felt as if i was doing a service for the individuals that were doing the right but the rules of the parking office.
Division I Athletics
Athletic Director's Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAFebruary 17, 2015
Working at GSU was a wonderful experience. I learned so much about running and operating a division I program in the NCAA. As an athlete at Georgia Southern for five years you don't see what happens behind the scenes to make your experience what it is. By being our AD's personal assistant I got to experience what it was like and how things work. I assisted in the planning of meetings and events. I also worked extensively with computers and Microsoft programs that I had not previously had the chance to do. I loved working behind the scenes because I knew it was benefiting the athletes at our wonderful university and that made my job very enjoyable.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Georgia Southern University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4