Georgia Southern University

Georgia Southern University Employer Reviews

Great atmosphere
Clinical Practicum, Student Athletic Trainer (Former Employee), Statesboro, GAJuly 17, 2013
The athletic program is constantly growing, providing a great basis for years to come.
Worked for a wonderful Department at GSU
Admin Secretary (Former Employee), Statesboro, GAJuly 8, 2013
Pros: job was challenging and rewarding
Cons: location. was not a fan of living in statesboro
I was the office manager of the Department of Finance and Economics with a faculty load of 28. I loved my Department, it could be demanding at times. I would answer phones, create schedules for semesters and register them in Banner, file paperwork, register students for classes. I enjoyed every minute. I like to stay busy and I worked with a great staff.
Productive work place
Public Relations (Current Employee), Statesboro, GAJuly 8, 2013
Pros: great leadership
Cons: worked for free as an intern
Positive work environment with great feedback. I was fortunate enough to gain an internship running the social media department for the Office of Career Services at Georgia Southern University.
Graduate School Job
Field Director, Crew Chief and Lab Supervisor (Former Employee), Statesboro, GAJune 25, 2013
This was an important education experience. I learned how to manage crews, teach orienteering and work as a mentor to undergraduate students. No compensation or benefits were given, because I was student employee. Fortunately the school provided affordable healthcare when needed. This was a grant funded job, so once the job was complete I was no longer – more... employed. I really enjoyed doing this, and I learned a lot about myself and how to manage volunteers and co-workers. – less
Georgia Southern University
Custodial Lead (Former Employee), Statesboro, GaJune 20, 2013
One of the best places in Statesboro,GA to work. The compensation is fair in comparison to the price of living. It requires hard work because of the employees that have been tere for a while but it's a great place to work.
Exciting environment to work in and to meet new people
Physical Plant-Custodian (Former Employee), Statesboro, GAJune 3, 2013
I maintain the cleaning of my assign buildings which was pretty easy to do. I learned about different chemicals and what to use for certain situations. I pretty much was my own manager and love to work with other co-workers. There wasn't anything hard about the job i just enjoyed meeting new people.
Good experience
Custodian- Team Leader (Former Employee), Statesboro, GAMay 27, 2013
This was a summer cleaning program that cleaned out dorm rooms and buildings. Management was good and was very helpful.
Fun place to work
Office of Educational Opportunity, America Reads (Current Employee), Statesboro, GAMay 20, 2013
Normal day for a college student working and taking classes
fun place to work
Intramural Referee (Former Employee), Statesboro, GAApril 10, 2013
this was a great job for the time being. it got me thru high school and some of college.
Consistent
LOCKSMITH (Former Employee), Statesboro, GAMarch 17, 2013
Pros: great boss
Cons: no benefits
Building, installing, repairing and swapping locksets.
I need better job security.
My Bosses were great.
Worked harder than people thought they did.
Morning still trying to waking up.
Making work fun by creating tasks for efficiency.
Productive and fun place to wrok.
Graduate Teaching Assistant Chemistry Department (Current Employee), Statesboro, GAFebruary 1, 2013
Pros: good communication and practical learning experiences
Cons: i would like to be at more more often.
As a graduate assistant my day is not too taxing. My hours are built around the class schedule of the professors I assist and the students come to class ready to learn. I enjoy what I do and I will cherish every memory made here.
Productive and Creative Environment
Lead Designer (Former Employee), Statesboro, GAJanuary 28, 2013
This position exceeded my expectations. I was able to work with a great fellow designer and oversee wonderful undergraduates.
-I was able to overhaul our marketing departments file management system and streamline it for future marketing employees.
-The hardest part of this job was leaving.
-The most enjoyable part was the creative freedom my employer – more... provided. – less
Great Job
Food Service Worker (Current Employee), Statesboro, GAJanuary 20, 2013
I got work and begin working with food and doing inventory. I occasionally have to do cleaning such as dishes and countertops. I also work with customers such as working
Not all Bad
Student Worker (Former Employee), Statesboro, GAJanuary 2, 2013
Pros: work around class schedule
Cons: getting assistance when required
hours varied by day/ class schedule. They would try to work around your schedule. I learned how to use Oracle. Mostly worked alone due to everyone being so busy. The hardest part was getting assistance when needed.
Great place to work if you work directly with the students
Educational Program Specialist (Former Employee), Statesboro, GADecember 13, 2012
Students make the job more enjoyable. Networking is how you get ahead. No true chance for advancement or increase in pay.
EXCELLENT organization to work for.
ADMINISTRATIVE SECRETARY (Former Employee), Statesboro, GADecember 6, 2012
GSU Is very supportive of learning, growing and developing as an individual as well as an employee. I could not have asked for a better work 'family'. It was rare to have issues with a co-worker. Had it not been for me wanting a better school system I would have stayed.
A reliable, enjoyable dining establishment
Food Service Worker/Cashier (Former Employee), Statesboro, GaSeptember 27, 2012
Lunch hours are usally the highlight of the day. Hundreds of students across campus come to eat at some of the best dining establishments on Georgia Southern campus. There are a variety of food choices and different payment options. Employees strive to give the best customer service on campus. Management is always on standby; willing and eager to help. – more... The best part of the job experience was meeting new people and being a part of a team that prepares some of the best food in the 'boro. – less
Productive and Fun Working environment
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee), Statesboro, GASeptember 14, 2012
Pros: bonus, incentives
Cons: shorts breaks
The Most enjoyable part of a day would be obtaining a goal that was once set for our particular organization.
An very large atmosphere. We service over 5,000 freshman
Administrative Technical Coordinator (Current Employee), Statesboro, GASeptember 10, 2012
Pros: if you are a full time benefitted employee, you will be able to receive free tuition if you wish to continue your education.
Cons: this a very bureaucratic system that is in place at gsu, many different departments that tend to hamper decisions.
During my employment I have witnesses a profound growth in the University. The past two years have been seen and average of 5,000 incoming freshmen per year. During my employment, the university has added two residence halls to now total seven halls.

A typical day at work for me is overseeing the Internet service of all of the residence halls. I manage – more... an office of three student workers. Our job is to respond to customer complaints regarding Internet connectivity. We are to the first line of defense when students have issues regarding their connectivity. We are to make sure they have the proper authentication software and antivirus software. If their is a problem with the network, we are to verify the problem and report it to the network/telecommunication department.

We are also responsible for the servicing of eight different professional departments, We maintain their workstations, printers, and other network enabled devices. This is a very large university and we are constantly working to keep up with the troubleshooting demand.

I have learned a lot about teamwork, management, and changing and evolving of technology and how it effects our daily lives.

I have also learned that working for a large university has a major disadvantage when multiple technology departments have to be involved which troubleshooting a single work order. Each department has its own rules and regulations that hamper the ability for a work order to be completed in a timely manner. That in turn tends to leave a bad impression on our department.

The hardest part about my job is when we received a work order from a student or staff member. The work order will include us involving another department in resolving the issue. As stated earlier, each department has its own standards of daily operations and it makes it difficult for us because we are the middle man between the customer and the department and that reflects a since of incompetence on our part.

The most enjoyable pare about my job is when I complete a work order and feel and since of gratitude from the customer. It is always a great feeling when you have helped another person resolve their situation and allow them to resume their job duties. It's also rewarding to help out a student when they are having Internet connection issues. Once their issue issue is resolved, they are allowed to continue with their studies. – less
GSU in Statesboro as a doctoral fellow
Doctoral Fellow (Former Employee), Statesboro, GASeptember 6, 2012
Pros: support, scholarship, access to well known scholars, research materials, technology, opportunities to present your papers
Cons: intra-rival politics among profs, prof rivalry w/students, prof take intellec prop of students w/o credit.
A doctoral fellowship at GSU is about being offered the opportunity to work on your studies and your dissertation in a scholarly enclave, protected from the stress of an outside job. To take advantage of it properly, one must give over everything to one's studies. This precious gift of a doctoral fellowship is easily wasted with all the tempting social – more... aspects a university campus and town offers. At GSU my particular professors were more than helpful, willing to share, and were supportive. The only person who can mess you up, is you. This is a progressive college of education. – less