Georgia Southern University Employee Reviews

An excercise in pateince
Custodial Floor Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAJanuary 11, 2017
Generally fine from day to day, but during special projects things would be highly disorganized and extremely stressful. Coworkers tended to complain a lot, souring the experience. Eventually it became a chore to simply complete the day's activities due to over-complication of procedures. Upper management paid little heed to the concerns of the staff beneath them. My direct supervisor did her best to ease the burden and maintain a positive attitude, but even she was generally exasperated with the upper management. Overall, not an experience I remember fondly.
Pros
Short commute, sufficient pay to meet all my needs, some friendly faces
Cons
Disorganization, stressful working conditions, pervasive negativity from most coworkers
Productive and a Fun work place
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaJanuary 10, 2017
Georgia Southern was a very fun and productive place to work. My co-workers where very interesting,because some of them where students and came from different countries.What I've learned about this job how to manage my time. The hardest part of this job is when the college had visitors touring the school. Then they all came to the cafeteria. And we had to serve them. But management team made sure that it was well organized and ran smoothly. The most enjoyable part of this job was meeting the different diversity type of people that I meet and gladly served.
Pros
Variety of Food
Cons
Short of Staff
Community Leader (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GADecember 30, 2016
They will spend a lot of time training you. Everyone is nice. I worked as a Community Assistant, a Community Leader, and a Student-Athlete Mentor and Tutor.
A day at work
Student Officer (Current Employee) –  Statesboro, GADecember 16, 2016
A typical day work consisted of running the cash register and interacting with customers on a daily basis. The management at this job could have been better. The most enjoyable part of the job is being in your own space and not having someone over your shoulder all of the time.
Great Place to work.
Desk Assistant (Current Employee) –  Statesboro, GADecember 15, 2016
I love working at the Russell Union. It is a fun and energetic place to be and I have some of the best coordinators to work with. Getting hours and balancing that with my school work is great. The school does a good job to make sure that academics come first not the other way around.
fun and productive
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GADecember 12, 2016
Great staff and facility. Some of the best people I've worked with. Hardest part is closing but there are many pros to being apart of Georgia Southern's staff.
Pros
free kunch work with your schedule great people
Cons
only 20 hours if youre a student
Mostly the same as Chick Fil-A's
Gus Mart Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GANovember 30, 2016
As stated before with the previous establishment, Chick Fil-A, this was another job on Georgia Southern's campus and had a similarly professional and friendly, yet very active atmosphere.
Pros
long breaks, friendly staff, friendly management
Cons
no room for advancement, low pay
Nice place for students
Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Statesboro, GANovember 17, 2016
working with data (collecting, cleaning, analysing, reporting)
using Excel, R, SAS, various survey generation platforms.
Working with different departments within university to come up with data-driven decisions.
Productive and student oriented
Visiting Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Statesboro, GANovember 7, 2016
It is a student oriented university. All faculty members are very dedicated to their work and work together for the overall progress of students. The work environment is very productive and pressure free.
They expect a lot and give little in return.
Director/Manager (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAOctober 14, 2016
The university was undergoing a period of tremendous change both in leadership and taking on new initiatives. It never really grasped the necessary planning an resources necessary to operate a for profit public business. Our department refused to to follow through on proposed initiatives to partner with the business college and collaborate with their small business startup team, mostly out of obstinance. A year after leaving the $6 million dollar center sits almost empty on a daily basis.
Pros
Great idea that could have become a model for universities nationwide.
Cons
Lowballing financial and resource requirements has turned the facility into a white elephant.
Great environment for someone wanting to work in collegiate athletics
Athletic Ticket Office Event Staff (Current Employee) –  Statesboro, GAOctober 4, 2016
I learned what goes on behind the scenes of a football game. I was shown the different jobs associated with the Georgia Southern University ticket office and how it encompasses the skills of marketing, customer service, and communication. Management was great and very helpful. The most enjoyable part was being able to ensure the guests/fans have a remarkable experience at our stadium.
Fine
Supplemental Instructor (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GASeptember 27, 2016
I went in for about an hour and reinforced concepts. Learned how to teach with patience. Management was helpful in explaining job requirements. Hardest part was preparing for lessons.
fairly good place to work great benefits and fulltime work one of the things that are bad are the hours i work from 6:00 pm to 2:00 am
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Statesboro, GASeptember 27, 2016
not having enough help i have learned to be a leader and a great team player the management is pretty good most of my coworkers are pretty good the hardest part of the job to me is cleaning classrooms and bathrooms the most enjoyable part of the night is when i get to go home
Pros
my supervisor and foreman are good
Cons
not enough help most of the time
Fantastic place to get hands on research done.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Statesboro, GASeptember 16, 2016
As a graduate student, most of your time is spent working on your thesis research. Your fellow graduate students are very friendly and helpful. The faculty is very approachable compared to other larger universities. The engineering department staff is friendly and extremely helpful.
Challenging and fast-paced work environment
Community Leader (Resident Assistant) (Current Employee) –  Statesboro, GASeptember 6, 2016
Georgia Southern University provides an atmosphere which encourages educational and personal growth. The hardest part of the job is work- life balance. However, it is the most rewarding job I have ever experienced. The best part of the job is all of the different people and personalities that come with it.
exciting and challenging
Community Leader (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAAugust 19, 2016
Great school to attend felt as if i was right at home and i would have not chose any place better to attend.I would definitly recommend this school to others
Athlete Services Tutor
Athlete Services (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAJuly 21, 2016
Ability to schedule when you want to work
Knowledgeable supervisors
Learned to work with different personalities
Your check depended on the amount of appointments set
Pros
Working with athletes
Cons
Productive and laid back atmosphere
Research assistant (Former Employee) –  Brannen HallJuly 20, 2016
Typically at work I would come in and greet each person I saw. I would get to work until I needed a break. Every was always friendly and willing to socialize when not in the midst of work.
Pros
Nice people, slower atmosphere
Cons
Difficulty with administration at time.
internship, fun, learning experience
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAJuly 7, 2016
My internship was a great learning experience after college. I worked a half a day but learned a lot in the process.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
no pay
Engaging, fun environment.
Tele-Counselor (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAJuly 5, 2016
A typical work day was 4 hours long, starting at 5:00. Our office's objective was to call prospective Georgia Southern Students and inform them of opportunities to learn more about our school and encourage them to apply before the deadlines. Our supervisors were helpful, and the team was very close. This helped me learn how to manage my time and make sacrifices for work, so that could deliver an exemplarily product to my manager and office.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Short breaks