Georgia Southern University

Georgia Southern University Employer Reviews

Consistent
LOCKSMITH (Former Employee), Statesboro, GAMarch 17, 2013
Pros: great boss
Cons: no benefits
Building, installing, repairing and swapping locksets.
I need better job security.
My Bosses were great.
Worked harder than people thought they did.
Morning still trying to waking up.
Making work fun by creating tasks for efficiency.
Productive and fun place to wrok.
Graduate Teaching Assistant Chemistry Department (Current Employee), Statesboro, GAFebruary 1, 2013
Pros: good communication and practical learning experiences
Cons: i would like to be at more more often.
As a graduate assistant my day is not too taxing. My hours are built around the class schedule of the professors I assist and the students come to class ready to learn. I enjoy what I do and I will cherish every memory made here.
Productive and Creative Environment
Lead Designer (Former Employee), Statesboro, GAJanuary 28, 2013
This position exceeded my expectations. I was able to work with a great fellow designer and oversee wonderful undergraduates.
-I was able to overhaul our marketing departments file management system and streamline it for future marketing employees.
-The hardest part of this job was leaving.
-The most enjoyable part was the creative freedom my employer – more... provided. – less
Great Job
Food Service Worker (Current Employee), Statesboro, GAJanuary 20, 2013
I got work and begin working with food and doing inventory. I occasionally have to do cleaning such as dishes and countertops. I also work with customers such as working
Not all Bad
Student Worker (Former Employee), Statesboro, GAJanuary 2, 2013
Pros: work around class schedule
Cons: getting assistance when required
hours varied by day/ class schedule. They would try to work around your schedule. I learned how to use Oracle. Mostly worked alone due to everyone being so busy. The hardest part was getting assistance when needed.
Great place to work if you work directly with the students
Educational Program Specialist (Former Employee), Statesboro, GADecember 13, 2012
Students make the job more enjoyable. Networking is how you get ahead. No true chance for advancement or increase in pay.
EXCELLENT organization to work for.
ADMINISTRATIVE SECRETARY (Former Employee), Statesboro, GADecember 6, 2012
GSU Is very supportive of learning, growing and developing as an individual as well as an employee. I could not have asked for a better work 'family'. It was rare to have issues with a co-worker. Had it not been for me wanting a better school system I would have stayed.
A reliable, enjoyable dining establishment
Food Service Worker/Cashier (Former Employee), Statesboro, GaSeptember 27, 2012
Lunch hours are usally the highlight of the day. Hundreds of students across campus come to eat at some of the best dining establishments on Georgia Southern campus. There are a variety of food choices and different payment options. Employees strive to give the best customer service on campus. Management is always on standby; willing and eager to help. – more... The best part of the job experience was meeting new people and being a part of a team that prepares some of the best food in the 'boro. – less
Productive and Fun Working environment
Information Technology Specialist (Former Employee), Statesboro, GASeptember 14, 2012
Pros: bonus, incentives
Cons: shorts breaks
The Most enjoyable part of a day would be obtaining a goal that was once set for our particular organization.
An very large atmosphere. We service over 5,000 freshman
Administrative Technical Coordinator (Current Employee), Statesboro, GASeptember 10, 2012
Pros: if you are a full time benefitted employee, you will be able to receive free tuition if you wish to continue your education.
Cons: this a very bureaucratic system that is in place at gsu, many different departments that tend to hamper decisions.
During my employment I have witnesses a profound growth in the University. The past two years have been seen and average of 5,000 incoming freshmen per year. During my employment, the university has added two residence halls to now total seven halls.

A typical day at work for me is overseeing the Internet service of all of the residence halls. I manage – more... an office of three student workers. Our job is to respond to customer complaints regarding Internet connectivity. We are to the first line of defense when students have issues regarding their connectivity. We are to make sure they have the proper authentication software and antivirus software. If their is a problem with the network, we are to verify the problem and report it to the network/telecommunication department.

We are also responsible for the servicing of eight different professional departments, We maintain their workstations, printers, and other network enabled devices. This is a very large university and we are constantly working to keep up with the troubleshooting demand.

I have learned a lot about teamwork, management, and changing and evolving of technology and how it effects our daily lives.

I have also learned that working for a large university has a major disadvantage when multiple technology departments have to be involved which troubleshooting a single work order. Each department has its own rules and regulations that hamper the ability for a work order to be completed in a timely manner. That in turn tends to leave a bad impression on our department.

The hardest part about my job is when we received a work order from a student or staff member. The work order will include us involving another department in resolving the issue. As stated earlier, each department has its own standards of daily operations and it makes it difficult for us because we are the middle man between the customer and the department and that reflects a since of incompetence on our part.

The most enjoyable pare about my job is when I complete a work order and feel and since of gratitude from the customer. It is always a great feeling when you have helped another person resolve their situation and allow them to resume their job duties. It's also rewarding to help out a student when they are having Internet connection issues. Once their issue issue is resolved, they are allowed to continue with their studies. – less
GSU in Statesboro as a doctoral fellow
Doctoral Fellow (Former Employee), Statesboro, GASeptember 6, 2012
Pros: support, scholarship, access to well known scholars, research materials, technology, opportunities to present your papers
Cons: intra-rival politics among profs, prof rivalry w/students, prof take intellec prop of students w/o credit.
A doctoral fellowship at GSU is about being offered the opportunity to work on your studies and your dissertation in a scholarly enclave, protected from the stress of an outside job. To take advantage of it properly, one must give over everything to one's studies. This precious gift of a doctoral fellowship is easily wasted with all the tempting social – more... aspects a university campus and town offers. At GSU my particular professors were more than helpful, willing to share, and were supportive. The only person who can mess you up, is you. This is a progressive college of education. – less
Professional work environment
Administrative Secretary (Current Employee), Statesboro, GAAugust 31, 2012
Pros: monday thru friday-no holidays or weekends-great health plan
Cons: distance
Looking to work at a very professional school of higher education. I am very organized, multitasker, very focused. The hardest part of any job would be making everybody happy and the most enjoyable part would be working with a team and everybody enjoying what they do. I enjoy learning new things and working with people who will help me to build on my – more... current skills.

A typical day at work for me would be very organized, and planned from beginning to end. – less

October 4, 2012

I am an alum of GSU and want to start a career working in Higher Ed. Does anyone know if GSU is willing to hire an alum for a job on campus.

easy work schedule and fun people to work with.
A/V Technician (Former Employee), Statesboro, GAAugust 29, 2012
Managed, Setup & Inventory all audio and video equipment.
Maintenance of audio and video equipment. Provide support for
GSU Graduation, Movies, Concerts and other similar events.
Great Place to Work
Graduate Assistant, School of Economic Development (Former Employee), Statesboro, GAAugust 27, 2012
Great Place to work, GSU is a great school w/a wide variety of things to do.
Georgia Southern
Multicultural Student Center, Program Assistant (Former Employee), Statesboro, GAAugust 15, 2012
Pros: free food, friendly work environment
Cons: non-traditional work hours
A work day is usually packed. Everything is focused on the student so if your not meeting with students you are working with other professionals to improve services for students. The work environment was calm and friendly with good job security and ok benefits. How you were regarded as professional depended on a variety of factors , but if you make – more... the effort to make connections you can do well. The hardest part of the job would be the crazy hours worked. Depending on what is going on with students you can work 12-14 hours day or regular eight hours days. Making sure you keep life in balance can become a little challenging. The best part of the job is the friendly and supportive work environment. – less
Very good work environment
Mini Intern (Former Employee), Statesboro, GAAugust 12, 2012
Pros: great education
I learned a lot of knowledge and skills while attending Georgia Southern University.
Typical College Job
Resident Advisor (RA) (Former Employee), Statesboro, GAJune 30, 2012
I had a blast as an RA on campus years ago. The job was fun and my boss was cool. But as with any job it all depends on your co-workers (other students) or your bosses (Also students and sometimes lacking in experience). But It gave me an experience of a lifetime.
Fun environment
Peer Instructor (Former Employee), Statesboro, GAJune 25, 2012
Everyday is something different. The school has a great culture rooted in the community its in.
Good!
Operations Assistant/Desk Attendant (Former Employee), Statesboro, GAJune 21, 2012
Great work place! Management was amazing! Customer friendly hometime grocery store.
Enjoyed my GA with them
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Statesboro, GAJune 19, 2012
Lots of fun. Great professors to work for and very stable environment. The hardest part was not having set hours.