Georgia Tech Employee Reviews

Gtri
Sr. Project Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 23, 2017
Great company for researchers, programmers, and developers who are focused on their own research. Very little training if any at all in management, administrative, and contracting processes.
Pros
flexibility, benefits
Cons
lack of training, bureaucracy
Great Research
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 21, 2017
Great Professors always provide options to work on what you love. Gives you good chance to explore various career options. Perfect place to pursue a Phd
Great security and benefits
Academic Advisor II (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 17, 2017
Lots of vacation/sick time and great benefits (pension) but low compensation if you are not a PhD. Also HR rules inhibit your managers ability to give merit based promotions.
Pros
Flexible hours, Lots of vacation time, Pension
Cons
Low compensation for non-academic jobs.
Enjoyed my job
Benefits Counselor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 13, 2017
Great benefits and work life balance. Not a lot of room to move for advancement. You can no beat the time off. High Ed is a great environment.
Its okay
Lead Infant Teacher (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 5, 2017
It's okay. A lot of work . Everyone has their own opining and I dont want to discourage anyone from getting a job. I have learned a lot from this company but im ready to move on.
Pros
flexable
Cons
low pay for required work
The most enjoyable part of the job.
Project CSX Self-Feeding Spike Driver (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 5, 2017
I like work at whole foods and because I always talk to customers every days.Also work at Ga tech Off road help work with team and learn improve my manufacturing skills.
review Summary
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Athens, GAJanuary 26, 2017
Everyday we would have our morning meeting to talk about projects that needed to be completed or projects that were coming up in the near future. Receive maintenance work orders from on campus building managers and complete the task. Learned to work closer with several maintenance techs on staff. Very easy going atmosphere around campus and with management. Hardest part of the day was trying to complete all the tasks that needed to be completed in a eight hour shift as overtime was rarely allowed. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with so many well rounded techs on campus
Pros
Several fun gatherings
Cons
low pay
Productive and exciting workplace.
Hospitality Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 25, 2017
Georgia Tech is a great, family orientated company to work for. The culture runs deep and there is a great sense of competiveness throughout the staff.
Easy Going
Undergraduate Research Assistant - ASDL (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 25, 2017
Typical day was usually independent work. You'd have a computer assigned to you and you'd know your task as described to you. It was up to you to figure out how to accomplish it.
Pros
Worked with school schedule
Cons
Never had any
Miserable grad school experience
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 10, 2017
Not the only one at all who felt this way. Right before I left the GA University Board and the Grad Student Assoc. both issued scathing reviews of the way grad students were treated there. Of course some people had great advisors and experiences but my experience there was 8 years of misery, and about a third to half the grad students I knew there had the same experience. My department - Physics - was just blasted in those reports, even though they acknowledged it was far from the worst.

In my case, my advisor would not let me graduate. The dept. and my committee all agreed that I was ready to (and had been for a year or two), but he would not let me do it. The chair finally stepped in and forced him to let me go.

Fortunately I have heard since then that changes are being made. I can't speak for what things are like now, but if you go to grad school there you had better make very sure you get a good advisor.
Pros
Good student insurance at a decent price
Cons
Virtually no institutional protections for grad students, other students and activities receive priority.
Interning at GT
Intern Student (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 9, 2017
As a highschool student, this internship opportunity opened so many doors into one of the best schools in Georgia. Many networking opportunities with college students and other selected STEM students and I highly recommend you take advantage if given the chance.
Pros
compensation
I enjoyed working with college kids and people around my age.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 30, 2016
The job was iffy to me, only because they didn't have enough staff. Sometimes it's stressful to get called in on everyboff day you had. I never had time to even spend the checks I received.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
Need more employees
Great team for On-Campus Part-Time
Application Developer (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 27, 2016
The work timings are flexible and work is genuine. People around are knowledgeable and work is fun.

The work is near to where my interest lies so I like working there
Great!
Associate Director & Program Manager (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 23, 2016
Georgia Tech Research Institute is a great place to work on interesting programs with extremely bright and motivated people. The only downsides, from my perspective, the fact that you need to start as a contractor and during that period I got an acute bone injection following shoulder surgery and was out of commission for an extended period of time.
Plenty of On-Campus Jobs
Lifeguard, Campus Recreation Center (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 22, 2016
All kinds of opportunities awaits on campus at Georgia Tech.
Lifeguard is a chill yet demanding job. Sitting, standing or walking for hours while full attention is required can be hard at times, but weekly meeting and training make sure that everyone stays aware and at a high skill level to serve the customers.
Great place to go to school for
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 13, 2016
Georgia Tech has great opportunities to learn from, work at and research at. They help out their students a lot to be able to fit into the american college culture, and also to find jobs and prepare for what's out there
Amazing
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 17, 2016
Best place to be. I meet workmates from all five continents. I experienced a high standard research center culture. As a visitor student/professor you will enjoy lab work, meetings with your mates and also get advantage of Atlanta perks. Administrative paper work takes forever, but you can speed up the process if you insist in a proactive way and show urgency.
Pros
Free access to university infraestructure
Cons
Bureaucracy stuff
In the middle of everything
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 17, 2016
I really enjoyed working at Georgia Tech. It was like a small city unto itself. There is a real bus system at Georgia Tech which makes the huge campus easy to navigate.

The campus has a small movie theatre, bowling alley, a high scale restaurant (outside of the fast food joints), and even a venue where famous musical artists play. I only left this job to move closer to family but I would go back in a heart beat!
Great colleagues but low job security
Project and Procurement Lead (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 14, 2016
I've really enjoyed my time at GTRI as I've been fortunate enough to work on a project with smart and creative co-workers.
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Lack of job security
Easy Job, good for stuents
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 9, 2016
Easy job, good for students. One can do homework at work. Work life balance in great. Co-workers are very friendly. Office manage is very nice. A typical day involves easy tasks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Georgia Tech. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3