Gerdau Ameristeel Employee Reviews in United States

As an Ironworker you really work for the Union - you are a contract employee
Journeyman Iron Worker (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAApril 8, 2016
Benefits and really culture come from the Union
Typical day - hard - you better be ready to work!
Hardest part of the job is the physical work - I did not need to go to the gym to stay in shape.
Most enjoyable and why I did it for so long is when the day is done - your done - no taking work home. You leave it all on the jobsite. The only reason I left is the jobs/builds were further and further away from home and the bay area commute was getting worse and worse. Want to be closer to home where ideally no freeway traffic will be a factor.
Positive Work Environment
Rebar Detailer (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAMarch 23, 2016
If there is one thing I can be guaranteed with Gerdau, it's that they help and guide you as much as they can. This was my first office job, so one could imagine the amount of stress associated with that situation. The managers did not stop helping me until i understood the in's and out's and why things were the way they were with the company.
Great coworkers bad managment
Crane Helper (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 11, 2016
Long hours hot dirty work most of your coworkers were great to work with but management where not the best most were incompetent. Pay was usually good but you had to work a lot of long shifts due to not enough employees to do all the work.
Pros
benefits pay and over time
Cons
management long hours
Gerdau North America vs. Gerdau Global
PLANT MANAGER/SUPERINTENDENT (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 29, 2015
Gerdau North America is still struggling to align with the Gerdau Global. Gerdau Global is a great company to work for. The company is being run by the 5th generation of the family even though they have been public for 40 years of the 115 years in business.
Great compensation and bonus structure, good benefits.

North America structure for Downstream is very thin and work on a regional concept. Unfortunately there have been many RIF's / surprise retirements in the salary ranks. high turnover in the management group. There are several key managers who do not embrace the company culture and have made North America - Downstream a miserable place to work.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
limited resources, work life balance, management structure
Great place to work but not if you need family time
Fab crane operator (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 2, 2016
Great place to work. Always on your feet. 1st shift hours are great while 2nd shift suck. Good food during safety meetings
Pros
great people and environment
Cons
more time of day at work and leaves maybe 4 hours max with family
Decent place to work
STEEL PRODUCTION WORKER (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAJanuary 31, 2016
A typical day consist of me inspecting the product. However, on occasions when a department was short staffed, I was called in to filled that role of the absent staff member. Overall, the co-workers were good people to work with. I enjoyed my job there.
Pros
Good paying job with bonuses
Cons
Very dangerous
Very good company to work for. very family minded. Cares about employees.
Senior Storeroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sand Springs, OKMay 18, 2016
The plant manager knew each employee by name (more than 300 employees). Company cared about your need and desires as an employee. Very good work enviornment.
Brazilians don't care about U.S. workers
Crane Operator (Current Employee) –  Midlothian, TXDecember 30, 2015
Gerdau is a Brazilian company that had a price-fixed market for most of it's history. They have yet to figure out precisely how the U.S. market and labor force work. Morale is very poor in Midlothian. Don't let the Plant Manager blow sunshine up your butt.
Pros
Quitting time
Cons
Took away our bonus to pay their deliquent taxes
Aggresive Steel Producer based in Brazil
Melt Shop Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Perth Amboy, NJApril 19, 2016
At the time a rapidly expanding company based in Brazil. Purchased old mills and redirected to meet market demands. Most were unable to compete with modern foreign facilities.
Good company to work for
Crane Operator (Current Employee) –  Midlothian, TXMay 26, 2016
Good company to work for just too far from home. The most enjoyable part of the job is my co-workers.the hardest part of the job was trying to get my crane repaired.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Too far from home
Good company for day to day work
manager (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 10, 2015
Good company in a difficult global environment. Steel production in the US has been challenged by foreign importers. If you are in the right group, the company can have a team environment. Other groups, are bogged down by corporate initiative, business systems, and meetings.
Pros
Good Company, fair pay, and knowledgeable leaders.
Cons
High turn over, decreasing incentive program, long hours, and negative change to health care plans.
Great work environment, plant is now closed
Production and Shipping Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sand Springs, OK 74063February 6, 2016
This was a nice place to work, however, the steel mill shut down in 2009 and all employees lost their jobs. The work was fast paced, and work crews were self directed. The injury rate was high.
hot repetitive
Material handler (Former Employee) –  Sand Springs, OKMay 4, 2016
Long days in extreme heat standing over hot rail road spikes and you load them in buckets or barrels to be loaded on a train or semi.
Pros
hours and great pay
Cons
standing in one spot
Learned alot here.
REFRACTORY SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJanuary 31, 2016
I have learned alot in the 8 years that I have been employed at Gerdau. As always; there are always lessons to be learned. I have gained alot of knowledge about brick laying and refractories, as well as several ceritfications.
Steel Mill Production at the Shredder Department.
Plant Utility (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 10, 2016
I have been with Gerdau for just over 4 years now and overall it has been a good company to work for. A typical day for me is to get my equipment fired up in line with the rest of the equipment in order to shred steel. We all work as a team, so communication is a big part of the job to ensure production remains at a maximum. I have learned how to operate many machines including mobile equipment, as well as have a better understanding of how the steel industry works. Management is pretty relaxed for the most part and get along well with the employees which helps maintain good morale. Most of the coworkers get along with each other mainly because we have to in order for things to operate smoothly. The hardest part of the job is keeping all of the equipment operational. Since a lot of the equipment is from the 60's and 70's, we often run into issues. The most enjoyable part of my job is learning new things and how to operate new machines. There is a lot you can learn!
Pros
Paid breaks, available OT, very adiment about safety.
Cons
Cannot leave for breaks.
Huge Coorporation
Outside Sales Representitive (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNNovember 5, 2015
Good company to work for all in all but increasingly poor location management.
Large turn over within the past 2 years causing some team members to perform 2-3 persons duties. High stress levels and low moral within the team is also a product of of the large turnover and series of bad hires.
Our great customer service has diminished with sales numbers declining.
No longer sales minded due to the incredible amount of red tape.
It is no longer about sales and customer service, it's all about the paperwork.
Sales team are rarely making sales calls due to the enormous amount paperwork but still expected to hit sales targets.
Pros
Pretty good compensation, paid holidays and vaction, mediacal, dental, dental and life insurance, company truck, company P-Card.
Cons
High stress level, low management support, perfoming 2-3 persons duties.
Going down hill fast
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, TXFebruary 9, 2016
After many years operating in North America, top management has not realized nor accepted the Brazilian mentality / model does not work.
Pros
short commute
Cons
lower compensation, reducing headcount
ok place to work
Full Time (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNFebruary 7, 2016
learned alot about running cranes we work well as a small close group always able to rely on the others to help out with any issues that may pop up through the day
Pros
small group
Cons
no advancement
calm
Set-up Operator (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 24, 2016
I feel it is important to have a safe and enjoyable work are always stay safe and have a plan to get out of any unsafe work being performed.
Finishing Floorman
Floor Man/ Stand-Alone Buffering Operator (Current Employee) –  Jackson,MISeptember 17, 2015
Not very good pay.do to the new two tier wage. The benefits are not very good,They are very expensive for what you get.With high deductibles.An only a 3% 401k match. Also the top pay for a Finishing floor man is 15.50 an hr, top pay in finishing is 19.29 an hr apposed to the old contact wage. where it was 26.00 an hr for a floor man, 28.00 for a finishing bar polisher. So if your fine with working next to someone who makes 10 or more dollars then you do. Than i guess its the job for you. But you work every single weekend except one a month.
Pros
Cons
Low pay, Benefits