Gerdau Ameristeel

Gerdau Ameristeel Employer Reviews

High Employee Safety Awareness
Manager of 32 EHS Field Safety Professionals (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNApril 9, 2014
Strong Work Ethic
Strong Safety Culture
Highly trained and skilled Management Teams
Excellent Management Support
Good place
Project Coordinator/ DOT Lister (Current Employee), Lawrenceville, GAMarch 20, 2014
 Coordinate DOT large-scale projects, for the Federal Highway Administration, bridges, highways, and culverts.
 Create CAD drawings, detail, and calculate reinforcement bars and materials for commercial buildings, airports, and hospitals, including Martin Army Hospital, AT&T, FedEx, McDonalds, Dollar General and water treatment plants.
Overall, not a bad place.
Heavy machine operator (Current Employee), Petersburg, VAMarch 13, 2014
Pros: ability to move around with in company.
Cons: poor pay and poor advancement.
All in all, it is definitely a learn as you go company, as the training is concerned and you learn to repair as you make mistakes. Pay isn't anywhere near as high as should be for being qualified not only on mobile equipment, but also over head cranes and driving/switching locomotives and the hours are short. Better than most jobs in the area, but compensation – more... needs improvement. – less
Production
Technician (Former Employee), Vidor, TXMarch 11, 2014
Great to place to work, Was shut down due to economy in 2009. Five minutes from my house. It was a union based job so room for advancement was small.
Productive and fun place to work
Buyer (Contractor) (Former Employee), Midlothain, TXMarch 11, 2014
Steel Mill. Very busy place to work. Procurement of many different commodities everything from electrical to fabrication parts to keep the plants up and running.
Many departments working together as a team.
Counter Sales (Former Employee), Belvidere, ILMarch 3, 2014
Managed a counter sales position, selling concrete products. Pre, during and post construction. Consisting of concrete forming, rebar, chemicals, safety and decorative.
Customers consisted of departments internally, contractors, walk-in and telephone.
Coordinated deliveries with transportation department.
Acted as purchasing agent
productive work place
Machine Operator (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNFebruary 27, 2014
Pros: good benefit
Cons: bad commucation
Come to work early to get inform what going on with the other employee and start my task of checking off my equipment to do my job at task.
Challenging & Fun
Plant Superintendent (Current Employee), Dallas, TXFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: safety, good people, great culture, benefits
Cons: pay is a little low for what my job entails, being so far from home
Everyday is a fun and exciting day. Recently, we just concluded a 2.25 million dollar expansion at my facility that brought several challenges each and everyday. These range from ensuring that the contractors we used met our safety requirements as well as stayed safe while on our facility to recruiting and hiring in another 20 employees to work in various – more... departments that report to me. Once the above was completed, then we were challenged with training our new hires to our culture, our safety programs and finally our production processes and practices. This is one of the most rewarding parts of my job in looking where we started this facility in 2009 and where we have now been able to bring it. We are still faced with many challenges ahead of us but have laid down some great groundwork. The most important job that one can do as a manager is to make sure that everyone of his employee's goes home at night in the same shape if not better than when that employee started off that day. I can proudly say that we have not had a LTA since we opened these doors and have gone over 3 years no pushing on 4 without an OSHA recordable.

All this and we still lead our Region in 80% of our KPI's as well as put ourselves up there with the best in the company. – less
Empty promises
Operator (Current Employee), Knoxville, TNFebruary 15, 2014
Pros: fair pay for unskilled labor, safety is important
Cons: certain benefits unattainable, lack of internal opportunity.
Certain benefits are made very difficult to receive even when employee is well qualified. There is a lack of internal opportunity due to repressive tactics of shop upper management.
Decent employer
Project Manager Engineer IV (Former Employee), Midlothian, TXFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: good pay and challenging
Cons: not an eeo friendly work place
High paced manufacturing environment that helped me develop my people management, capital project management, and engineering proficiencies.
Excellent working environment
Sr. SAP SD Consultant (Current Employee), Tampa, FLJanuary 20, 2014
All of the co workers and Managers are very cooperative. My role at Gerdau: Analyzed existing business processes and recommended fixes and enhancements.
Drafted functional specifications, participate in design and execution of unit and system testing.
Busy
highway detailer (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOJanuary 20, 2014
This was a ok place to work. When I started I was a receptionist 2 weeks later I was hired as highway detailer
Poor management drove 100 year old mill to close.
Utility Laborer (Former Employee), Joliet, ILJanuary 15, 2014
Pros: none really
Cons: shut down
Typically driven to get blood from a turnip on a daily basis. Poor maintenance on necessary equipment prevented production from excelling.
A cubicle farm from heaven.
SALES AND MARKETING ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee), Tampa, FLJanuary 14, 2014
I really grew in experience in my administrative skill area. I had 60 people working under me.
Great company to work for with great employees
Staff Accountant (Former Employee), Nashville, TNJanuary 7, 2014
Pros: excellent pay, benefits and work environment
Cons: none.
My day consisted of supervising 4 employees in the accounting department. I not only supervised the employees but jumped in each day to help out in any way possible. My job was to also produce the financial statements.
It is an environment that promotes employee passion and engagement for growth within the organization.
Accounts Specialist (Current Employee), Tampa, FLJanuary 2, 2014
My Daily routine consists of processing the critical vendors for the 80+ locations to ensure there are no interruptions of production. Within my department my co-workers all pitch in and there is a great sense of team work. The company is global yet being so big the owners continue to make the office environment that promotes a family feel and a sense – more... of security of employment. – less
Excellent procedures and systems.
Routine Facilitator II (Former Employee), Rancho Cucamonga, CAJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: systems, processes, benefits.
Cons: working hours.
Awesome company. Very structured and invested a lot in developing tools for constantly improving procedures and safety. Communication needs to be improved but overall a great company.
Low work demand & Fun place
Refit Mechanic / Utility Operator (Former Employee), Vidor, TXDecember 19, 2013
Inventory Intake
enter data into computers
maintain office/shop supplies
parts runner & delivery driver
Mechanic Assistant
Great place to work,productive fast pace
Cell support specialist (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCDecember 6, 2013
production driven operation with early start times
Learned how to be a Manager
The management team is great
co-workers are supportive
Tundage Worker/ Slide Gate Technician
Technician (Former Employee), Vidor, TXNovember 22, 2013
Pros: excellent work schedule. decent salary and lots of overtime. five minutes from house
Cons: in house union, making it hard get promoted. promotions made by seniority
This was the job i was going to retire from. I loved what i did. I was a tech for the company. I was in charge of slide gates at the bottom of furnace ladles that controlled the outflow of liquid steel. My job was to monitor controls and prevent malfunctions. Also do any maintenance or rebuilding of addles, slide gates, and tundishes.

Due to the instability – more... of the economy at the time, unfortunately they had to shut down the mill and go back to Brazil where their company was based out of. – less

1 2 3 4 5

About Gerdau Ameristeel

Gerdau Ameristeel puts its stamp on the steel business in the US. The company is one of the largest minimill steelmakers in North – Read more