Gerdau Ameristeel Employee Reviews

Great place to work...if it doesnt close
Mechanical Drafter Designer (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCFebruary 6, 2017
I LOVED my job here. Slow at times, but WONDERFUL co-workers. We were like family. Just got laid off due to lack of funds. Company has been going downhill since i started 3 years ago. It is not a company to work for if you want a secure job. A lot of plants are closing or laying off employees. But overall the work environment and the flexability was AMAZING. Sad to go but with all the cuts in bonus and OT, I am happy to find a more stable company on their way up not down.
Pros
flexability
Cons
going downhill
Good Working Experience
Steel Worker (Former Employee) –  Sayreville, NJJanuary 9, 2017
Management was helpful, 12 hours work days with swing every other week. Co-workers were like family socialized off hours.
Knowiwng I did the best job possible without any injury and reach the compnay goals were the best self gradification on the job.
Pros
Salary, Comradary, and my work ethic knowing I produced the best job.
Cons
Long hours, few days off and swiing shifts.
Very unstable
Master Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNNovember 7, 2016
To many management personal. They know what they want just don't know how to get there. No one in management has ever done the work so they don't know what or who it takes to get the job done. They are young and have no work ethics ,when it's lunch they leave ,when it's 4 o'clock they leave no mtater status of the shop.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Working for people that cant do there job holding back workers
Management is terrible, employees just there for a paycheck
Senior Operator (Former Employee) –  Dinwiddie, VASeptember 17, 2016
Worked there for entirely too long. Management cares more about patting themselves on the back and trying to lay blame for others mistakes. "If I make someone else look bad, I look better"

Safety is a joke. Just depends on who's watching. Rules are bent depending on how much they like you.

Kept trying to do the same/more work with less people, and of course didn't want to pay you more money to do more work.

Kept cutting hours bonuses, somehow I made LESS money, despite getting small raises yearly.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
management, hours, pay
Generally poorly managed
Reliability and Maintenance Leader (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MISeptember 20, 2016
Up until recently, I enjoyed coming to work, I was involved with reliability aspects of operation.
A little over a year ago, I was maintenance representative learning SAP, which has now been cancelled.
I am presently performing numerous functions, that do not relate to reliability. Now due to slowing of business contractors are being let go.
Pros
Well paid
Cons
Poor leadership
jaroy gaines
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLNovember 29, 2016
good pay good work enviroment and good work ethic but you gone work the best but do to heavily lift of steel coil you can have long term injures but besides that it good job with good pay and investment in the business for retirement in the long run.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
heavily lifting
Great work place, many skills aquired.
production control expeditor (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MIJanuary 2, 2017
The company gives emoplyees input in environment. The benifits are great. The skills given increase on a regular bases in all areas worked. Advancements.
Pros
Benifits, work advancement
Cons
Very fulfilling place to work, room for advancement!
Routine Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Wilton, IAAugust 4, 2016
By far my favorite job thus far in my career. The culture is very open and honest and management wanted to help you advance your career. Coworkers work respectfully as a cohesive team and no discrimination witnessed. The hardest part of the job is sometimes long hours, but flexibility is allowed for comp time. Also summers in a melt shop are very hot, but I would go back in a minute if I could!
Pros
Ability to travel & attend trainings
Left a bad taste in my mouth
Master Control Operator (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, TXNovember 8, 2016
Gerdau Ameristeel buyout of TXI/CHAPARRAL STEEL, took place in September of 2008. It was like fools gold to me, they came in and announce that there would be changes and they did, it went from bad to the worse.
Cons
Friendly work enviroment
Room for advancement, great culture, good people to work with
HRIS Administrator (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLFebruary 10, 2017
Nice place to work, but too far from home to travel each day. Very friendly staff. Offers annual pay increases and insurance incentives.
Pros
Good healthcare
Cons
Short staffed

Want to know more about Gerdau Ameristeel?

Ask a question
good benefits,decent salary,safety minded
Raw Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Calvert City, KYSeptember 16, 2016
Seems Gerdau was more interested in how the business was run then running the business. being hourly seems like the managers didn't listen aswell as they could have.
Pros
Safety was the #1 priority, good vaction time
Cons
benefits could have been better, Ins, personal time off
Not a good company to work for.
Mill Operator (Former Employee) –  Calvert City, KYFebruary 8, 2017
Worst managed business I have ever worked with. Management shut down a mill making over a million dollars a month to try to save one mill that was consistently loosing money.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No job security
Getting worse by the day
Melt shop (Current Employee) –  Sayreville, NJJuly 23, 2016
The only thing keeping me sane are my coworkers. They have recently change our incentive program causing myself and others a decrease in pay by about $20,000 per year. With that, they changed our benefits which now cost more. A $75 copay to see the doctor is ridiculous to me when the year prior was $20. The management as a whole went from family oriented to dog eat dog. The CEO in Brazil was recently arrested for embezzlement and tax evasion so I cannot trust it here anymore
Pros
my fellow coworkers
Cons
hot, dusty, dirty
Good company to work for
Nozzle Technician/Refractoryman (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXNovember 7, 2016
I have been at Gerdau for 11 years. It has been the most helpful company I have worked for so far. I have been through several management classes and been on several company trips to learn about our industry.
Over 15 years of experience.
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 1, 2016
Scheduled payment runs, emails with a ticket system using SAP, Lawson and AS400.
I got along with my co-workers very well.
The hardest part of my job is getting the external buyers to communicate with the AP Department.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the outside events Gerdau sponsored.
Pros
Birthday parking space in the covered garage.
Cons
No overtime.
Productive team and great training
Detailer/Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAJanuary 4, 2017
They trained me really well and have a very knowledgeable staff that are always willing to help and take time out of their busy schedule to assist on my projects.
its an alright place to work in the past, but schedule and hours are an issue now
scrapyard operator (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 3, 2016
this was a great company at one time, but over the past 5 years its been a decline in hours, schedule has changed multiple times, not allowing consistence in being able to juggle family life
Good Experience
Safety Specialist (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNDecember 6, 2016
Structured company with set hierarchy. Is willing to put money into their young professionals to grow them and set them on a path to succeed internally. Tough time for the American steel market.
good group of people and works well will each other.
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Cartersville, GAOctober 7, 2016
complete work orders , make repair to equipment and build spare parts. weld or fab equipment, or make repair to building and grounds
Pros
self directed and good managers
Cons
extreme heat and dirty enviroment
hot dirty production environment
Forging Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, SCJanuary 17, 2017
good stable place to work, hot, dirty production environment, limited promotion opportunities, good set of production employees, good management team in place

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gerdau Ameristeel. Our community is ready to answer.