Gerdau Ameristeel

Gerdau Ameristeel Employer Reviews

Nice place for a Steel Mill
Rolling Mill Operator (Former Employee), Beaumont, TXFebruary 14, 2015
This is a great place to work, Its noisy, dirty and a lil dangerous but worth it. The Management and employees are great. I highly recommend.
Fun place to work and good pay and benefits
North America IT Problem Manager (Former Employee), TampaFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: great people to work with
Cons: not enough vacation time off
A very diverse workplace with really great people from all over the world. No two days were ever the same. In the 8 years that I was at Gerdau, I had 5 managers, 18 different desks and 4 different titles. Gerdau has some of the best people working for them and I have learned a lot from them and I always gave 110% because the company was so good to me. The light hearted kidding around, while still working hard and getting the job done was what made me go to work everyday.
Good Place
HUMAN RESOURCES GENERALIST (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNFebruary 5, 2015
Good place to work. Many of the benefits are good. The people are the best part of the whole place.

Unique place to work at different than most places you will work
Gerdau
Welder (Former Employee), Arlington, TNFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: same hours every week
Cons: poor management, low pay
Gerdau is ok. Pay is not very good but relaxed environment. Management is always harassing you and watching you. No benefits because you are hired through a temp service (TBI). It is a good place to start out if you are looking for experience. Just not a somewhere to have a career.
No Support
Sr. Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), Muskogee, OKJanuary 24, 2015
Cons: lack of support
The maintenance tech get little or no support on performing their job functions, average work week was 60 hours plus. Constant battle to get things done. Only one tech to cover the facility consisting of 5 buildings.
Good company with great people.
Electrical Engineer (Current Employee), Knoxville, TNJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: good company with great people.
Cons: pay raises are small
- Implemented project to become the first of TVA’s 400+ eligible customers to implement electronic curtailment shutdown. Article appeared in Knoxville News Sentinel. System shuts down the steel mill in less than 5 minutes. Contract savings: $175k/mo.
- Implemented Peak Power limiter. Electrical savings up to $51k/mo.
- Designed and implemented quick connect system on 69MVA transformer allowing 300+ control wires to be connected/disconnected in < 10 minutes. Benchmark allows for quickest transformer changeout corporate wide.
- Designed and implemented water-cooled boxes housing wireless thermocouples mounted on furnace walls.
- Letters of Commendation (4)
- Employee of the Month: December 2009
Steel Mill
Roll Shop (Current Employee), Petersburg, VAJanuary 15, 2015
This is a good company to work for. A typical day there is do your job, be on time, and do the right things at all times. What I have learned there will be apart of my everyday life. My coworkers are very interesting people to be around at work. The most enjoyable part of my day is knowing that I have done what is expected of me, and sent out a quality product to be used in the rolling mill.
great people management suspect
crane operator/ finishing B operator (Former Employee), rose city, txJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: good people
Cons: management sucks
the work was hard in the beginning. hot as well but u get used to getting burned from molten steel. co workers cool, some can be hard to get along with but that's everywhere. hardest part of the job was working on deck in the middle of summer while you running rebar that comes off the cooling deck red. its still hot as fire and you have to trim the end sections off depending on inspection. very bad day.
Good Place to work.
Human Resources Manager (Current Employee), Midlothian, TXJanuary 4, 2015
Strong culture and safe work environment. The corporate structure is a bit convoluted. Major improvements could be made if this structure was minimized.
office work
Master Data (Former Employee), Tampa, FLJanuary 3, 2015
Pros: 40 hours a week, holidays off, vacation
Cons: job security
everything you can expect from a standard office job. 8-5 job. you spend most of your day emailing and working in data entry systems.
No support
electrician (Former Employee), Beaumont TxJanuary 1, 2015
Pros: good pay and benefits.
Cons: closed minded leadership.horrible union representation.
There is no support from company or union.
If the company wants you out, the union steps aside and is of no benefit.
No matter how hard you work, if a foreman gets a personal dislike for you, you are done.
Leadership is permitted to allow personal feeling towards you dictate your status, no matter how exemplary your performance is.
Union reps step aside so they can have your position.
Safety is secondary.
Good compensation, great people
Manager (Former Employee), Petersburg, VADecember 16, 2014
Pros: great profit sharing
Cons: too many corporate initiatives that detract from work
Too and way too much time in meetings and doing things not directly related to your job
Gerdau is a good company to work for
Senior Operator, Offline (Former Employee), Petersburg, VADecember 10, 2014
Pros: plenty of time off good benifits good employees
Cons: working out side. cold, hot .dusty.
Work 12hr rotating shifts. I learned quite a few skills crane saw mill operations load railcars load over the road trucks to many to list Gerdau is very safety oriented. employees are work well together throwing 70lb dunnage most of the shift was the hardest part of the job working with a team oriented employees was the most enjoyable part of the job.
OK
SAP IDM and Security Administrator (Current Employee), Tampa, FLDecember 9, 2014
Good experience to work in health care.. old application.. legacy systems.
my daily job at work
Laborer/Equipment Operator (Current Employee), Roanoke, VADecember 8, 2014
typical day go work talk to co workers see what jobs need to be done for day then would have strech time, everyday learned something new from saftey to metals to a new way load truck, management was good at first but then seem like they pick the people they like the most then ride others hard, was sad thet where like that but that how the yard manger was faras coworkers got along fine with them enjoyed working with them,hardest part about job when you would work the best you could and they always want more from you the most i enjoyed the most was working with most coworkers the benefits they offer and the job i do knowing i did best i new how
Good team environment
Utility Operator (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNDecember 1, 2014
Pros: good helpful team members, great friends
Cons: heat & long days
Everybody who is there is helpful for the most part. They'll show you how do anything or help you. From the newest member to the most experienced they'll jump right in when help is needed. If you don't like heat tho I suggest you stay in the warehouse cause it stays well above 100 in the summer.
Unique place to work
Strand Operator (Former Employee), Sand Springs, OKNovember 30, 2014
Pros: working on airplanes.
Cons: unpredictable future.
Odd culture that causes paranoia among different races. Working on planes is the best thing about it.
Enjoyed my 10-year tenure very much
Buyer/Expeditor (Former Employee), Petersburg, VANovember 19, 2014
Pros: excellent pay and benefits
Cons: none come to mind
Gained a lot of experience, enjoyed my co-workers and was impressed with the amount of community enjoyment that was afforded
Unsafe and unethical business practices
Ironworker (Former Employee), Aberdeen WANovember 13, 2014
Pros: non
Cons: everything about the place. go back to california and stay there.
Worst job I have ever had. Manager never came out of his office. All the foreman where a bunch of young kids that where smart mouthed and never really told you what they expected of you. VERY unprofessional work environment. They also took advantage of break times and didn't give you state mandated breaks. One ten minute break in the morning and a lunch in a 8 hour day? I don't think so.
Great Company
Shear Operator (Former Employee), Joliet, ILNovember 3, 2014
Gerdau was a great company to be a part of and was very happy during my time there. I was given the opportunity to cross-train and learn every aspect of my job.

1 2 3 4 5

About Gerdau Ameristeel

Gerdau Ameristeel puts its stamp on the steel business in the US. The company is one of the largest minimill steelmakers in North – Read more

Gerdau Ameristeel Salaries