Gerdau Ameristeel

Gerdau Ameristeel Employer Reviews

Very Productive place
Fabricator (Former Employee), Decatur, ILJuly 9, 2014
Met alot of great people. Incentive check each month. Benefits second to none
Loader
Loader (Current Employee), Lancaster, scJune 28, 2014
Pros: great pay and good money
Cons: risk of getting hurt and long hours of unventilated work.
Alot of racism and company not an equal opportunity employer. The company should be put under investigation because there are alot of concerns about only certain people becoming employed with this company.
Good Long Term Employment
Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Midlothian, TXJune 22, 2014
Pros: great benefits!
Cons: some of the forklifts are old and the process to replace them is taking a while, they are hard to keep running.
A typical day consisted of loading trucks for me. It was mostly a independent job. You don't really work with others unless you need help. Your co-workers are half good and half bad. Some are good about cleaning up after themselves. Others leave a mess for you to clean up. Hardest part of the job is the stress. When you are loading and look at the truck – more... line, and see it full, you know it's going to be stressful trying to get the trucks out. I enjoyed how I worked alone and they made it to where we are practically our own boss. Management is pretty good and they have a long term mindset. It is a perfect company if you are looking for a career. A lot of the guys I met while working there had been there anywhere from 5-35+ years. – less
Demanding and ever changing
COHC and Coordinator (Current Employee), Petersburg, VaJune 17, 2014
Pros: compensation
Cons: shift work
12 hour Swing Shifts
Good Benefits
Global Company
Always changing
A growing up and learning experience.
Senior Operator (Current Employee), Petersburg, VAJune 1, 2014
Pros: timely advancement in pay scale.
Cons: political interference with job.
Uniform patrol in high crime rated areas of city. Traffic enforcement through Radar operations and DUI check points. Protective service details for Presidential, Vice Presidential and visiting dignitaries. SWAT & Counter Terrorism team activities. Firearms and Tactics Instructor.
A very productive place to work at
Inspection Coordinator (Former Employee), Joliet, ILMay 28, 2014
Pros: free lunches, bonuses, overtime
Cons: cold in the winter, hot in the summer and always dirty
After many years working at the plant, I met some of the best people I could ever want to met. The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be responsibility that I had as a coordinator.
Gerdau
Melt shop multi-craft maintenance (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNMay 21, 2014
Good company to work for. They have made it possible to advance and the culture is advanced.
good money when things are good.
Loader/ crane operator (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNMay 17, 2014
Pros: pay and benefits
Cons: people thats been there too long
when I started there the pay was excellent and I moved up quickly but, as the economy got worse so did the job and people you work with, a lot of back stabbing and cut thought because the over time dried up and management was a main reason. Favoritism and nepotism is rampant and they will make you wanna punch them in the face some times.
Used to be great company
Environmental (Former Employee), Petersburg, VAMay 14, 2014
Focus is lost and steel is no longer made by committed employees......
good experience
Protective Services Safety Officer (Current Employee), petersburg va.May 12, 2014
Pros: wages
Cons: shift work
good experience in a industrial atmosphere working emergency medical, fire ,haz mat, and security in Petersburg va.
Ideal Place to Work
Yard Helper (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLApril 26, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: time clock policy
Excellent company to work for. Benefits and pay are the best you can find. The concern for safety is over the top. I would recommend this company to anyone seeking a job.
Second time I worked for this company
Laborer, Machine Operator (Former Employee), Perth Amboy, NJApril 17, 2014
Pros: good pay, already knew the job
Cons: laid off again
Worked with hydraulic machinery, fork lifts, inspected, re-worked coiled steel. I worked there from 1987-1999 with perfect attendance but was laid off. When I got the opportunity to go back I took it. That only lasted two years until layoff again.
Don't do it!!!!!!
laborer (Former Employee), Rancho CucamongaApril 15, 2014
If you are applying to the Rancho plant...DON'T DO IT!!!!
Management and some employees are liars.
The union protects the wrong people. If you walk around the west end of the building you may smell someone smoking weed. This review is only pertaining to the Rancho Cucamonga plant.
Don't get sucked in by the promise of getting top pay after probationary – more... period is over. – less
Busy, scary but a fun place to work.
Payroll Accountant (Former Employee), Sayreville, NJApril 14, 2014
Pros: meeting vendors
Cons: having to wear safety boots.
A typical day was very busy. I learned about how steel was made and the names of various kinds of steel produced and what clients used it for.
Management was all there if you needed them. Co-workers were always willing to lend a hand. The most enjoyable part even though it was scary was to see how steel was made from the beginning to the end.
Great career builder
Check Temp. Of Hot Steel, Put (Former Employee), Perth Amboy, NJApril 14, 2014
Pros: union
Cons: hours where 12hr a day
I learn so much things but they had a lay off.
I would had been there till now had there was no shut down
High Employee Safety Awareness
Manager of 32 EHS Field Safety Professionals (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNApril 9, 2014
Strong Work Ethic
Strong Safety Culture
Highly trained and skilled Management Teams
Excellent Management Support
Good place
Project Coordinator/ DOT Lister (Current Employee), Lawrenceville, GAMarch 20, 2014
 Coordinate DOT large-scale projects, for the Federal Highway Administration, bridges, highways, and culverts.
 Create CAD drawings, detail, and calculate reinforcement bars and materials for commercial buildings, airports, and hospitals, including Martin Army Hospital, AT&T, FedEx, McDonalds, Dollar General and water treatment plants.
Overall, not a bad place.
Heavy machine operator (Current Employee), Petersburg, VAMarch 13, 2014
Pros: ability to move around with in company.
Cons: poor pay and poor advancement.
All in all, it is definitely a learn as you go company, as the training is concerned and you learn to repair as you make mistakes. Pay isn't anywhere near as high as should be for being qualified not only on mobile equipment, but also over head cranes and driving/switching locomotives and the hours are short. Better than most jobs in the area, but compensation – more... needs improvement. – less
Production
Technician (Former Employee), Vidor, TXMarch 11, 2014
Great to place to work, Was shut down due to economy in 2009. Five minutes from my house. It was a union based job so room for advancement was small.
Productive and fun place to work
Buyer (Contractor) (Former Employee), Midlothain, TXMarch 11, 2014
Steel Mill. Very busy place to work. Procurement of many different commodities everything from electrical to fabrication parts to keep the plants up and running.

1 2 3 4 5

About Gerdau Ameristeel

Gerdau Ameristeel puts its stamp on the steel business in the US. The company is one of the largest minimill steelmakers in North – Read more