Gerdau Ameristeel Employee Reviews in United States

Getting worse by the day
Melt shop (Current Employee) –  Sayreville, NJJuly 23, 2016
The only thing keeping me sane are my coworkers. They have recently change our incentive program causing myself and others a decrease in pay by about $20,000 per year. With that, they changed our benefits which now cost more. A $75 copay to see the doctor is ridiculous to me when the year prior was $20. The management as a whole went from family oriented to dog eat dog. The CEO in Brazil was recently arrested for embezzlement and tax evasion so I cannot trust it here anymore
Pros
my fellow coworkers
Cons
hot, dusty, dirty
Loyalty
Stand builder / Crew Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Cartersville, GA 30120July 5, 2016
Long hours, but good pay. In a time when it is hard to get even full- time and benefits you get them here. Just be alert and do the job and every thing will work out good.
Pros
Overtime
Benefits
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Sayreville, NJJune 30, 2016
Very productive company. I was on a temporary assignment so I did not get to work here very long. But for the time that I was there it was not bad.
Great
Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAJune 9, 2016
A day at Gerdau felt like home away from home. The people made me felt as I was family to them. Everyone got along with each other, the communication was excellent. Management took actions on what was right and what was wrong. Safety was the main priority
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Health Care
Good company to work for
Crane Operator (Current Employee) –  Midlothian, TXMay 26, 2016
Good company to work for just too far from home. The most enjoyable part of the job is my co-workers.the hardest part of the job was trying to get my crane repaired.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Too far from home
calm
Set-up Operator (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 24, 2016
I feel it is important to have a safe and enjoyable work are always stay safe and have a plan to get out of any unsafe work being performed.
Very good company to work for. very family minded. Cares about employees.
Senior Storeroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sand Springs, OKMay 18, 2016
The plant manager knew each employee by name (more than 300 employees). Company cared about your need and desires as an employee. Very good work enviornment.
hot repetitive
Material handler (Former Employee) –  Sand Springs, OKMay 4, 2016
Long days in extreme heat standing over hot rail road spikes and you load them in buckets or barrels to be loaded on a train or semi.
Pros
hours and great pay
Cons
standing in one spot
Aggresive Steel Producer based in Brazil
Melt Shop Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Perth Amboy, NJApril 19, 2016
At the time a rapidly expanding company based in Brazil. Purchased old mills and redirected to meet market demands. Most were unable to compete with modern foreign facilities.
Great coworkers bad managment
Crane Helper (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 11, 2016
Long hours hot dirty work most of your coworkers were great to work with but management where not the best most were incompetent. Pay was usually good but you had to work a lot of long shifts due to not enough employees to do all the work.
Pros
benefits pay and over time
Cons
management long hours
As an Ironworker you really work for the Union - you are a contract employee
Journeyman Iron Worker (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAApril 8, 2016
Benefits and really culture come from the Union
Typical day - hard - you better be ready to work!
Hardest part of the job is the physical work - I did not need to go to the gym to stay in shape.
Most enjoyable and why I did it for so long is when the day is done - your done - no taking work home. You leave it all on the jobsite. The only reason I left is the jobs/builds were further and further away from home and the bay area commute was getting worse and worse. Want to be closer to home where ideally no freeway traffic will be a factor.
Great place to work but not if you need family time
Fab crane operator (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 2, 2016
Great place to work. Always on your feet. 1st shift hours are great while 2nd shift suck. Good food during safety meetings
Pros
great people and environment
Cons
more time of day at work and leaves maybe 4 hours max with family
Positive Work Environment
Rebar Detailer (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAMarch 23, 2016
If there is one thing I can be guaranteed with Gerdau, it's that they help and guide you as much as they can. This was my first office job, so one could imagine the amount of stress associated with that situation. The managers did not stop helping me until i understood the in's and out's and why things were the way they were with the company.
Steel Mill Production at the Shredder Department.
Plant Utility (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 10, 2016
I have been with Gerdau for just over 4 years now and overall it has been a good company to work for. A typical day for me is to get my equipment fired up in line with the rest of the equipment in order to shred steel. We all work as a team, so communication is a big part of the job to ensure production remains at a maximum. I have learned how to operate many machines including mobile equipment, as well as have a better understanding of how the steel industry works. Management is pretty relaxed for the most part and get along well with the employees which helps maintain good morale. Most of the coworkers get along with each other mainly because we have to in order for things to operate smoothly. The hardest part of the job is keeping all of the equipment operational. Since a lot of the equipment is from the 60's and 70's, we often run into issues. The most enjoyable part of my job is learning new things and how to operate new machines. There is a lot you can learn!
Pros
Paid breaks, available OT, very adiment about safety.
Cons
Cannot leave for breaks.
Going down hill fast
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, TXFebruary 9, 2016
After many years operating in North America, top management has not realized nor accepted the Brazilian mentality / model does not work.
Pros
short commute
Cons
lower compensation, reducing headcount
ok place to work
Full Time (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNFebruary 7, 2016
learned alot about running cranes we work well as a small close group always able to rely on the others to help out with any issues that may pop up through the day
Pros
small group
Cons
no advancement
Great work environment, plant is now closed
Production and Shipping Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sand Springs, OK 74063February 6, 2016
This was a nice place to work, however, the steel mill shut down in 2009 and all employees lost their jobs. The work was fast paced, and work crews were self directed. The injury rate was high.
Learned alot here.
REFRACTORY SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJanuary 31, 2016
I have learned alot in the 8 years that I have been employed at Gerdau. As always; there are always lessons to be learned. I have gained alot of knowledge about brick laying and refractories, as well as several ceritfications.
Decent place to work
STEEL PRODUCTION WORKER (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAJanuary 31, 2016
A typical day consist of me inspecting the product. However, on occasions when a department was short staffed, I was called in to filled that role of the absent staff member. Overall, the co-workers were good people to work with. I enjoyed my job there.
Pros
Good paying job with bonuses
Cons
Very dangerous
Brazilians don't care about U.S. workers
Crane Operator (Current Employee) –  Midlothian, TXDecember 30, 2015
Gerdau is a Brazilian company that had a price-fixed market for most of it's history. They have yet to figure out precisely how the U.S. market and labor force work. Morale is very poor in Midlothian. Don't let the Plant Manager blow sunshine up your butt.
Pros
Quitting time
Cons
Took away our bonus to pay their deliquent taxes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gerdau Ameristeel. Our community is ready to answer.