Gerdau Ameristeel

Gerdau Ameristeel Employer Reviews

Good company with great people.
Electrical Engineer (Current Employee), Knoxville, TNJanuary 17, 2015
Pros: good company with great people.
Cons: pay raises are small
- Implemented project to become the first of TVA’s 400+ eligible customers to implement electronic curtailment shutdown. Article appeared in Knoxville News Sentinel. System shuts down the steel mill in less than 5 minutes. Contract savings: $175k/mo.
- Implemented Peak Power limiter. Electrical savings up to $51k/mo.
- Designed and implemented quick connect system on 69MVA transformer allowing 300+ control wires to be connected/disconnected in < 10 minutes. Benchmark allows for quickest transformer changeout corporate wide.
- Designed and implemented water-cooled boxes housing wireless thermocouples mounted on furnace walls.
- Letters of Commendation (4)
- Employee of the Month: December 2009
Steel Mill
Roll Shop (Current Employee), Petersburg, VAJanuary 15, 2015
This is a good company to work for. A typical day there is do your job, be on time, and do the right things at all times. What I have learned there will be apart of my everyday life. My coworkers are very interesting people to be around at work. The most enjoyable part of my day is knowing that I have done what is expected of me, and sent out a quality product to be used in the rolling mill.
great people management suspect
crane operator/ finishing B operator (Former Employee), rose city, txJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: good people
Cons: management sucks
the work was hard in the beginning. hot as well but u get used to getting burned from molten steel. co workers cool, some can be hard to get along with but that's everywhere. hardest part of the job was working on deck in the middle of summer while you running rebar that comes off the cooling deck red. its still hot as fire and you have to trim the end sections off depending on inspection. very bad day.
Good Place to work.
Human Resources Manager (Current Employee), Midlothian, TXJanuary 4, 2015
Strong culture and safe work environment. The corporate structure is a bit convoluted. Major improvements could be made if this structure was minimized.
office work
Master Data (Former Employee), Tampa, FLJanuary 3, 2015
Pros: 40 hours a week, holidays off, vacation
Cons: job security
everything you can expect from a standard office job. 8-5 job. you spend most of your day emailing and working in data entry systems.
No support
electrician (Former Employee), Beaumont TxJanuary 1, 2015
Pros: good pay and benefits.
Cons: closed minded leadership.horrible union representation.
There is no support from company or union.
If the company wants you out, the union steps aside and is of no benefit.
No matter how hard you work, if a foreman gets a personal dislike for you, you are done.
Leadership is permitted to allow personal feeling towards you dictate your status, no matter how exemplary your performance is.
Union reps step aside so they can have your position.
Safety is secondary.
Good compensation, great people
Manager (Former Employee), Petersburg, VADecember 16, 2014
Pros: great profit sharing
Cons: too many corporate initiatives that detract from work
Too and way too much time in meetings and doing things not directly related to your job
Gerdau is a good company to work for
Senior Operator, Offline (Former Employee), Petersburg, VADecember 10, 2014
Pros: plenty of time off good benifits good employees
Cons: working out side. cold, hot .dusty.
Work 12hr rotating shifts. I learned quite a few skills crane saw mill operations load railcars load over the road trucks to many to list Gerdau is very safety oriented. employees are work well together throwing 70lb dunnage most of the shift was the hardest part of the job working with a team oriented employees was the most enjoyable part of the job.
OK
SAP IDM and Security Administrator (Current Employee), Tampa, FLDecember 9, 2014
Good experience to work in health care.. old application.. legacy systems.
my daily job at work
Laborer/Equipment Operator (Current Employee), Roanoke, VADecember 8, 2014
typical day go work talk to co workers see what jobs need to be done for day then would have strech time, everyday learned something new from saftey to metals to a new way load truck, management was good at first but then seem like they pick the people they like the most then ride others hard, was sad thet where like that but that how the yard manger was faras coworkers got along fine with them enjoyed working with them,hardest part about job when you would work the best you could and they always want more from you the most i enjoyed the most was working with most coworkers the benefits they offer and the job i do knowing i did best i new how
Good team environment
Utility Operator (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNDecember 1, 2014
Pros: good helpful team members, great friends
Cons: heat & long days
Everybody who is there is helpful for the most part. They'll show you how do anything or help you. From the newest member to the most experienced they'll jump right in when help is needed. If you don't like heat tho I suggest you stay in the warehouse cause it stays well above 100 in the summer.
Unique place to work
Strand Operator (Former Employee), Sand Springs, OKNovember 30, 2014
Pros: working on airplanes.
Cons: unpredictable future.
Odd culture that causes paranoia among different races. Working on planes is the best thing about it.
Enjoyed my 10-year tenure very much
Buyer/Expeditor (Former Employee), Petersburg, VANovember 19, 2014
Pros: excellent pay and benefits
Cons: none come to mind
Gained a lot of experience, enjoyed my co-workers and was impressed with the amount of community enjoyment that was afforded
Unsafe and unethical business practices
Ironworker (Former Employee), Aberdeen WANovember 13, 2014
Pros: non
Cons: everything about the place. go back to california and stay there.
Worst job I have ever had. Manager never came out of his office. All the foreman where a bunch of young kids that where smart mouthed and never really told you what they expected of you. VERY unprofessional work environment. They also took advantage of break times and didn't give you state mandated breaks. One ten minute break in the morning and a lunch in a 8 hour day? I don't think so.
Great Company
Shear Operator (Former Employee), Joliet, ILNovember 3, 2014
Gerdau was a great company to be a part of and was very happy during my time there. I was given the opportunity to cross-train and learn every aspect of my job.
If you're tough, you'll survive
Melt Shop Operations Hand (Former Employee), Sand Springs, OKOctober 9, 2014
Pros: great benefits, high wages, frewquent overtime
Cons: high noise, high heat, dirty work and hazardous materials
Gerdau Ameristeel is not for the faint of heart. This is a steel melting operation, and the product is at over 20,000°F when during each pour (called a "tap"). Steel smelting is among the top five most hazardous job fields in the United States, and Gerdau does a credible job of ensuring the safety of employees. If you are willing to put in the sweat, lift the loads, and continue showing up, they will reward you with steady work, frequent overtime, and excellent wages and benefits.
Pros and Cons of the Job
Innovation and Management II (Current Employee), 28269October 5, 2014
Pros:
Good work/life balance
Great benefits
Bonus program
Co-workers

Cons:
Seniority doesn't transfer
Little paid vacation
Dependent on parent company
Unclear career path options
Unknown lateral moves to other departments
very good company
Rebar Designer (Former Employee), york, paOctober 4, 2014
Pros: fun and well built company
Cons: there were no cons.
I would work with microstation and apply hat I learned at yti to complete jobs for customers.
Good benefits, bad management
Rebar Detailer/ Coordinator (Former Employee), Irving, TexasOctober 4, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: bad managment and poor treatment
i was very excited at the beginning with all the things that they told me i will be part of, but they started to hire people with little to no experience and they will want you to tell everything that you know while the other supervisor and manager were just having no trouble working. bad managment and poor business desicions is making good employees to leave the company as i did and the operation manager have no loyalty to his employees. Still a very good opportunity for people starting new on this career, but no chance to grow professionally after you reach the coordinator position.
Great group of employees who were very good at their jobs.
Back-up Site Manager (Former Employee), martinsville, VASeptember 7, 2014
Pros: filled in for site managers that were on vacation or out for town for awhile.
Cons: the enviroment: very hot, cold, dusty, dealing with the weather in general
Checking inventory, daily equipment maint. reports, morning meetings w/ employees discussing job requirements for the day, work closely w/ Site Manager reviewing new projects and how to meet operational goals.

Safety training was a high priority for the company, the training was very helpful in keeping our employees safe.

Immediate management was very good and insightful

I managed 5 equipment operators and field workers and all were very good at what they were required to do.

Keeping up with all the new requirements sent to us from the Corporate Offices in Brazil.

All the employees. We all got along very well, had our disagreements from time to time, worked them out, then moved on and worked as a team to complete the required tasks.

1 2 3 4 5

About Gerdau Ameristeel

Gerdau Ameristeel puts its stamp on the steel business in the US. The company is one of the largest minimill steelmakers in North – Read more