Gerdau Ameristeel

Gerdau Ameristeel Employer Reviews

Pros and Cons of the Job
Innovation and Management II (Current Employee), 28269October 5, 2014
Pros:
Good work/life balance
Great benefits
Bonus program
Co-workers

Cons:
Seniority doesn't transfer
Little paid vacation
Dependent on parent company
Unclear career path options
Unknown lateral moves to other departments
very good company
Rebar Designer (Former Employee), york, paOctober 4, 2014
Pros: fun and well built company
Cons: there were no cons.
I would work with microstation and apply hat I learned at yti to complete jobs for customers.
Good benefits, bad management
Rebar Detailer/ Coordinator (Former Employee), Irving, TexasOctober 4, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: bad managment and poor treatment
i was very excited at the beginning with all the things that they told me i will be part of, but they started to hire people with little to no experience and they will want you to tell everything that you know while the other supervisor and manager were just having no trouble working. bad managment and poor business desicions is making good employees to leave the company as i did and the operation manager have no loyalty to his employees. Still a very good opportunity for people starting new on this career, but no chance to grow professionally after you reach the coordinator position.
Great group of employees who were very good at their jobs.
Back-up Site Manager (Former Employee), martinsville, VASeptember 7, 2014
Pros: filled in for site managers that were on vacation or out for town for awhile.
Cons: the enviroment: very hot, cold, dusty, dealing with the weather in general
Checking inventory, daily equipment maint. reports, morning meetings w/ employees discussing job requirements for the day, work closely w/ Site Manager reviewing new projects and how to meet operational goals.

Safety training was a high priority for the company, the training was very helpful in keeping our employees safe.

Immediate management was very good and insightful

I managed 5 equipment operators and field workers and all were very good at what they were required to do.

Keeping up with all the new requirements sent to us from the Corporate Offices in Brazil.

All the employees. We all got along very well, had our disagreements from time to time, worked them out, then moved on and worked as a team to complete the required tasks.
Petersburg site is a joke
Production Worker (Former Employee), Petersburg, VAAugust 31, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: little to no breaks and everyday wondering if you will have a job
Petersburg management is a joke and HR dept is for management. You are just a number to them.
no advancements
Senior Operator (Former Employee), Petersburg, VAAugust 27, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: everything
bad management......lots of favoritism in departments. lots of time off during the month. only work 15 days swing shift.
sell your self to brazil
stand guide builder (Former Employee), Cartersville, GAAugust 23, 2014
Pros: money
Cons: dangerous job
great job for the money, but everyday could be your last if someone makes a mistake. hard hot sweaty long 12 hour days but the money is great. Advancement isn't great takes years to move up and everyone is cutting each other down to move up. It could be called a shark tank environment. cell phones are allow and make it very deadly enviroment. I loved this job and have many friends that work here but it is only for the money. everyday could be your last day isn't an scare tactic you except it and learn to live with your choice or you don't work here. Over 300 near miss a month and thats a guarantee fact.
Nice business to work for if you can handle hard, manual labor for 8-12 hours a day.
Rebar Fabricator (Current Employee), Decatur, ILAugust 18, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: long hours
Gerdau is a nice business to work for if you can handle hard, manual labor for 8-12 hours a day. They offer great benefits.
Goal Oriented
Foreman (Current Employee), Midlothian, TXAugust 13, 2014
Goal oriented productive environment focused on results driven by safety.
large steel mill in st paul minnesota
set up shop (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNAugust 6, 2014
I started in the bundling pit which is the starting point for most rookie employee's. I then worked my way into the bundling pit and the crane. a position came open in the set up shop so I put a bid on it. my trainer was the best in the set up shop. we proved how good we were by very seldom making mistakes and it became our job to also double check the other shifts mill stand that they set up in order to ensure they were up to specs.
Challenging work place
Quality Control First Inspector (Former Employee), Perth Amboy, NJJuly 30, 2014
Productive and challenging work place. inspection, dangerous, very hot but learned alot
Fast Paced
Scale Clerk (Former Employee), Jackson, MIJuly 27, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: no room for advancement and growth within the company
Working for Gerdau is very fast paced, you are always learning something new. They send you to a lot of meetings and training classes depending on what position your in some are daily some are a few times a month. Most of the co-workers are friendly and willing to help out if needed others are back stabbing especially the supervisors they expect you to do there job to make them look better. Most challenging part of the job is the constant change but for me it was the best part of it.
Poor Management
Logistics Coordinator (Current Employee), King George, VAJuly 13, 2014
Poor management, no advancement opportunities, salary is low, NO work/life balance
Very Productive place
Fabricator (Former Employee), Decatur, ILJuly 9, 2014
Met alot of great people. Incentive check each month. Benefits second to none
Loader
Loader (Current Employee), Lancaster, scJune 28, 2014
Pros: great pay and good money
Cons: risk of getting hurt and long hours of unventilated work.
Alot of racism and company not an equal opportunity employer. The company should be put under investigation because there are alot of concerns about only certain people becoming employed with this company.
Good Long Term Employment
Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Midlothian, TXJune 22, 2014
Pros: great benefits!
Cons: some of the forklifts are old and the process to replace them is taking a while, they are hard to keep running.
A typical day consisted of loading trucks for me. It was mostly a independent job. You don't really work with others unless you need help. Your co-workers are half good and half bad. Some are good about cleaning up after themselves. Others leave a mess for you to clean up. Hardest part of the job is the stress. When you are loading and look at the truck line, and see it full, you know it's going to be stressful trying to get the trucks out. I enjoyed how I worked alone and they made it to where we are practically our own boss. Management is pretty good and they have a long term mindset. It is a perfect company if you are looking for a career. A lot of the guys I met while working there had been there anywhere from 5-35+ years.
Demanding and ever changing
COHC and Coordinator (Current Employee), Petersburg, VaJune 17, 2014
Pros: compensation
Cons: shift work
12 hour Swing Shifts
Good Benefits
Global Company
Always changing
A growing up and learning experience.
Senior Operator (Current Employee), Petersburg, VAJune 1, 2014
Pros: timely advancement in pay scale.
Cons: political interference with job.
Uniform patrol in high crime rated areas of city. Traffic enforcement through Radar operations and DUI check points. Protective service details for Presidential, Vice Presidential and visiting dignitaries. SWAT & Counter Terrorism team activities. Firearms and Tactics Instructor.
A very productive place to work at
Inspection Coordinator (Former Employee), Joliet, ILMay 28, 2014
Pros: free lunches, bonuses, overtime
Cons: cold in the winter, hot in the summer and always dirty
After many years working at the plant, I met some of the best people I could ever want to met. The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be responsibility that I had as a coordinator.
Gerdau
Melt shop multi-craft maintenance (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNMay 21, 2014
Good company to work for. They have made it possible to advance and the culture is advanced.

About Gerdau Ameristeel

Gerdau Ameristeel puts its stamp on the steel business in the US. The company is one of the largest minimill steelmakers in North – Read more