Gerdau Ameristeel Employee Reviews in United States

Great coworkers bad managment
Crane Helper (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 11, 2016
Long hours hot dirty work most of your coworkers were great to work with but management where not the best most were incompetent. Pay was usually good but you had to work a lot of long shifts due to not enough employees to do all the work.
Pros
benefits pay and over time
Cons
management long hours
Very good company to work for. very family minded. Cares about employees.
Senior Storeroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sand Springs, OKMay 18, 2016
The plant manager knew each employee by name (more than 300 employees). Company cared about your need and desires as an employee. Very good work enviornment.
Very demanding company
Electrical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Perth Amboy, NJAugust 21, 2015
Disinterested in anything other than the bottom line. Politics at every level above hourly. Fellow workers always looking to blame others for their mistakes or failures.
Pros
Compensation and benefits
Cons
Pressure and being on call 24/7
Gerdau
Laborer (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNOctober 5, 2015
You can make good money, but the management and the job security is among the worst that I have ever seen. It is a dirty job, but most of it is really easy to do.
Lots of experience /good people to work for
Guide Setter / Roll Builder (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILJuly 27, 2015
Great place to work learn and utilize my technical skills. Lots of opportunity to grow with company . Management worked side by side with us . everyone worked as a team. The hardest part of the job was the heat in the summer and the cold in the winter. The best part of the job was producing great product every day.
Pros
Lots of overtime/long hrs
Cons
Great Benefits
Good company to work for
Crane Operator (Current Employee) –  Midlothian, TXMay 26, 2016
Good company to work for just too far from home. The most enjoyable part of the job is my co-workers.the hardest part of the job was trying to get my crane repaired.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Too far from home
great pace to work
Payroll/Administrative (Current Employee) –  Midlothian, TXJuly 8, 2016
No complaints, great place to work. Constantly changing with the times. Very professional place to work and very secure place to work.
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Sayreville, NJJune 30, 2016
Very productive company. I was on a temporary assignment so I did not get to work here very long. But for the time that I was there it was not bad.
Finishing Floorman
Floor Man/ Stand-Alone Buffering Operator (Current Employee) –  Jackson,MISeptember 17, 2015
Not very good pay.do to the new two tier wage. The benefits are not very good,They are very expensive for what you get.With high deductibles.An only a 3% 401k match. Also the top pay for a Finishing floor man is 15.50 an hr, top pay in finishing is 19.29 an hr apposed to the old contact wage. where it was 26.00 an hr for a floor man, 28.00 for a finishing bar polisher. So if your fine with working next to someone who makes 10 or more dollars then you do. Than i guess its the job for you. But you work every single weekend except one a month.
Pros
Cons
Low pay, Benefits
Great place to work but not if you need family time
Fab crane operator (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 2, 2016
Great place to work. Always on your feet. 1st shift hours are great while 2nd shift suck. Good food during safety meetings
Pros
great people and environment
Cons
more time of day at work and leaves maybe 4 hours max with family
Aggresive Steel Producer based in Brazil
Melt Shop Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Perth Amboy, NJApril 19, 2016
At the time a rapidly expanding company based in Brazil. Purchased old mills and redirected to meet market demands. Most were unable to compete with modern foreign facilities.
hot repetitive
Material handler (Former Employee) –  Sand Springs, OKMay 4, 2016
Long days in extreme heat standing over hot rail road spikes and you load them in buckets or barrels to be loaded on a train or semi.
Pros
hours and great pay
Cons
standing in one spot
calm
Set-up Operator (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 24, 2016
I feel it is important to have a safe and enjoyable work are always stay safe and have a plan to get out of any unsafe work being performed.
Good Long Term Employment
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Midlothian, TXJune 22, 2014
A typical day consisted of loading trucks for me. It was mostly a independent job. You don't really work with others unless you need help. Your co-workers are half good and half bad. Some are good about cleaning up after themselves. Others leave a mess for you to clean up. Hardest part of the job is the stress. When you are loading and look at the truck line, and see it full, you know it's going to be stressful trying to get the trucks out. I enjoyed how I worked alone and they made it to where we are practically our own boss. Management is pretty good and they have a long term mindset. It is a perfect company if you are looking for a career. A lot of the guys I met while working there had been there anywhere from 5-35+ years.
Pros
great benefits!
Cons
some of the forklifts are old and the process to replace them is taking a while, they are hard to keep running.
Decent place to work
STEEL PRODUCTION WORKER (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAJanuary 31, 2016
A typical day consist of me inspecting the product. However, on occasions when a department was short staffed, I was called in to filled that role of the absent staff member. Overall, the co-workers were good people to work with. I enjoyed my job there.
Pros
Good paying job with bonuses
Cons
Very dangerous
Learned alot here.
REFRACTORY SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJanuary 31, 2016
I have learned alot in the 8 years that I have been employed at Gerdau. As always; there are always lessons to be learned. I have gained alot of knowledge about brick laying and refractories, as well as several ceritfications.
Good company with great people.
Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNJanuary 17, 2015
- Implemented project to become the first of TVA’s 400+ eligible customers to implement electronic curtailment shutdown. Article appeared in Knoxville News Sentinel. System shuts down the steel mill in less than 5 minutes. Contract savings: $175k/mo.
- Implemented Peak Power limiter. Electrical savings up to $51k/mo.
- Designed and implemented quick connect system on 69MVA transformer allowing 300+ control wires to be connected/disconnected in < 10 minutes. Benchmark allows for quickest transformer changeout corporate wide.
- Designed and implemented water-cooled boxes housing wireless thermocouples mounted on furnace walls.
- Letters of Commendation (4)
- Employee of the Month: December 2009
Pros
good company with great people.
Cons
pay raises are small
Great work environment, plant is now closed
Production and Shipping Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sand Springs, OK 74063February 6, 2016
This was a nice place to work, however, the steel mill shut down in 2009 and all employees lost their jobs. The work was fast paced, and work crews were self directed. The injury rate was high.
Fun, High stress work environment
Detailer Associate (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 3, 2015
Management is great, work load is high and expectations are high. There are many things they want you to do in little amounts of time but the job is easy going other than that.
good job
Operator (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJuly 19, 2015
good management
good people
low pay in my opinion for having a wife 3 kids and the only one working.
benefits are going down hill though
Pros
people, laid back, and fun
Cons
benefits going down hill, and pay not good enough