Gerdau Ameristeel Employee Reviews

Very good people to work for
Steel Bar Shaker/ Welder (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 12, 2015
I would come in and proceed to my work station. If I was on the shear line which cuts steel to correct lengths of shop orders. I would roll out the amount that the shear operator would ask for. I also ran a Lenton machine which would put threads on the end of the steel bars. This was a pretty slow process, also very boring at times so it was definitely an easy job. As a welder with this company I worked with a machine that welds the 2 ends of steel bars together. We would place the steel bar ends onto the machine in the slots and step on a foot pedal which would the weld. I worked in all the 3 stations and was very efficient in each.
Pros
hour lunch reward for good safety, Catered meals on Saturdays, good co-workers
Cons
Lots of one position standing
Experience
Quality Assurance Manager (Former Employee) –  Monroe, MISeptember 3, 2015
The experience was phenomenal, many aspects of managerial training and application of new equipment to enhance safety, quality and productivity over the 11 year period with Gerdau.
Hard work, long days, hectic schedule, dangerous, good pay
Melt Shop Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CASeptember 1, 2015
No life outside of work, the company owns you. Company does not even want to comply with basic Labor law mandates, and attempts to punish you for exerting your worker's rights. Absolutely no opportunities for advancement.
Good place to work, there is a lot of team work between departments
Improvement Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Jackson, TNAugust 28, 2015
Making improvements to processes, and making sure they give stable results. Lots of dealings with customers and trucking companies, along with visits to customers with problems to resolve. Daily walk of the warehouse, checking on any changes that may have occurred, during the night shift operation. This is the most safety conscious employer I have ever know, and they know how to promote safety. The logistics department, where I work just celebrated four years with no lost time accidents, which is a great accomplishment for a steel mill environment. The teamwork from one department to another is very good, each department treating the next department as their customer. Hardest part of the job is dealing with drivers that are not happy with our method of loading the material on their trailers. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with all the employees. You learn a lot from employees if you will just allow yourself to step back and listen.
Pros
Some travel, great employees, managing employees
Cons
Dealing with drivers/ dealing with some difficult employees
Gerdau Ameristeel
general helper (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KentuckyAugust 24, 2015
Physically demanding career with opportunities for advancement. Long hours in the spring to fall, which being the busiest time of year for the company. This can be a very dangerous place if one does not have proper training. Management and operators did great job training new team members. Had a problem with the lack of effort on management side with one coworker. Threatening and harassment went on for two months with management never taking a step to help the situation. Human Resources never once responded to the plea and although there are many results on paper, their are problems behind the red tape. Accidents or near misses happen often and go unreported.
Pros
always guaranteed 40+ hours a week
Cons
short breaks, accidents go unreported, harrasment and threatening behavior
Very demanding company
Electrical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Perth Amboy, NJAugust 21, 2015
Disinterested in anything other than the bottom line. Politics at every level above hourly. Fellow workers always looking to blame others for their mistakes or failures.
Pros
Compensation and benefits
Cons
Pressure and being on call 24/7
Good Work-Life Balance
Engineer in Midlothian TX (Current Employee) –  Midlothian, TXAugust 1, 2015
Good mix of experience. The hardest part of my job is to fulfill business process in order to actually accomplish work. Most enjoyable part of my job is the work experience. I would say management should focus on making steel as opposed to micromanaging.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Internal Buisness Processes
Lots of experience /good people to work for
Guide Setter / Roll Builder (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILJuly 27, 2015
Great place to work learn and utilize my technical skills. Lots of opportunity to grow with company . Management worked side by side with us . everyone worked as a team. The hardest part of the job was the heat in the summer and the cold in the winter. The best part of the job was producing great product every day.
Pros
Lots of overtime/long hrs
Cons
Great Benefits
good job
Operator (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJuly 19, 2015
good management
good people
low pay in my opinion for having a wife 3 kids and the only one working.
benefits are going down hill though
Pros
people, laid back, and fun
Cons
benefits going down hill, and pay not good enough
Benefits were great.
Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 16, 2015
A nice place to work at the beginning and then things changed overnite. The work place became a place to work and the family atmosphere was removed. It stopped being people friendly and the employee's stop caring about each other. Very community oriented to all thatt is in need of help.
Pros
Community oriented at times
Not the best
Bender helper (Former Employee) –  Muskogee, OKJuly 4, 2015
People are friendly but management thinks it's ok to be cussed at constantly. Health insurance is good pay is average. Lots of back breaking work and constantly in a rush to get things done.
Pros
Free lunch once a month, insurance
Cons
Moral, pay, and the way they treat their employees
Great work place with gym
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 30, 2015
I absolutely loved working here. I wish I still did but unfortunately I had to leave the company. Great work place, great people, and great company atmosphere.
Pros
Company events, laid back atmosphere
Cons
Management can be unbalanced
Constructive work environment with laughs, and caring people.
Bender Operator (Current Employee) –  Muncie, INJune 28, 2015
A Typical Work Day
Stepping through the threshold of the front door I make my way to the time clock. After clocking in I step out back where I smoke a cigarette, and prepare for the day ahead. When the other employee's show up for work I cut up, and have a couple laughs with them talking about what they did the day before, or after work. While insuring that they are not in need for anything. We try to take care of one another, even though sometimes the job gets stressful.

What I Learned
At Gerdau I have learned to appreciate others, and their hard work, we can not operate as a unite when someone is injured, angry, or just fed up with the job. I have had to step in for others to make sure they don't get fatigued with the jobs we have to produce. Taking care of one another is the most important part of a job. Many hands make a heavy work load light. I have learned the ability to communicate with others under pressure, and make the environment lighter, rather then add to the hostility.

Management caters to the needs of the employee's making sure we have all the equipment necessary to fully function. The management encourages us to produce as much in the time that we have. They work hard to run a productive business, and it starts with us.

Co-Workers
Along with taking care of one another co-workers have to produce material just as I. Sometimes the environment gets stressful do to the production needed to complete a job but they work hard to ensure the safety of one another. We have a bond that is hard to find in other places.

Hardest Part of the Job
  more...
The hardest part of the job is when mistakes are made such as loading material on the wrong trailer, or misplacing steel and trying to meticulously search for a small bundle in a huge stack of steel.
When trailers are loaded wrong it is very time consuming, so now we have to produce the product along with trying to reload a trailer.
Searching though stacks of steel is very difficult in a time sensitive situation. When your being told to get the job done, but the last part of the job is on the bottom of a large stack of rebar.

Most Enjoyable Part of the Job
When driving past a bridge, or even on, you get the sense of accomplishment knowing that you contributed to the making of a strong, sturdy bridge that brings commuters the sense of safety.

This is why the job is so important! Peoples lives are in our hands when producing and distributing rebar. Having strict guidelines to follow allows the public to feel safe the next time a bridge is built, and crossed.
Pros
Insurance, Paid holiday's, Company awards safety
Cons
Short breaks, weather effects productivity, hours conflict with life at home
Detailed
Senior Category Manager - North America (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 27, 2015
Very thorough and detailed analysis necessary before any decisions are made - positive.

Opportunity for self improvement through continued education and learning.
Pros
opportunities
Cons
work life balance and declining industry due to imports
Good Company
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJune 22, 2015
Like most companies today, Have the Safety inplace but more work with th same hours and the same amount of people. Work Harder not Smarter
Great Compensation, Subpar Management
Sales Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJune 16, 2015
The company seems like they are always in transition and continue to reel from poor decisions and SAP implementation. Turnover is very high and leadership is constantly in turmoil. Add in the decline in the industry and the result is very negative morale in the sales team. Compensation, however, is well above average but I don't think it's a reasonable tradeoff with the working conditions.
All about Production- safety is nowhere to be seen- all about numbers.
Mill operator (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, txJune 8, 2015
I've been at this place for seven years.. Worked my way up from utility operator, to mill operator- been in melts shop, and QA and T- no money in M/S and QA- overtime is in a ton I'm rolling mill- but our mill wants ALL YOULL Give/ all effort, and blood, sweat and tears- and your soul if you'll let it. But you can make pretty good, for not having much education- but it's ALL about tons per hour- safety isn't first, and folks in charge don't have a clue; absurdly smart, and absolutely ignorant in real world application to rolling steel-
Pros
... I'll get back with you.
Cons
Union shop.
$8.5B sales company providing steel products / services to the construction and manufacturing industry worldwide.
Plant Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 2, 2015
Great company to work for. I spent a lot of time working for this company and saw it grow from a small company into a well run multi billion dollar corporation. I would recommend this company to anyone for employment.
Pros
Great satisfaction in working there
Cons
None to mention
Multi-national company
Location Manager/Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Martinsville VAJune 2, 2015
Strong financially stable multi-national steel producing and metal recycling company. So large that an individual employee gets lost in the crowd.
Was Stressful at times
Student Intern Animator (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARMay 30, 2015
The Work was very time consuming and we were on a deadline. Co-workers were slacking off, making the job much more difficult.
Pros
Very good pay
Cons
Stress