Gerdau Ameristeel

Gerdau Ameristeel Employer Reviews

Poor management drove 100 year old mill to close.
Utility Laborer (Former Employee), Joliet, ILJanuary 15, 2014
Pros: none really
Cons: shut down
Typically driven to get blood from a turnip on a daily basis. Poor maintenance on necessary equipment prevented production from excelling.
A cubicle farm from heaven.
SALES AND MARKETING ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee), Tampa, FLJanuary 14, 2014
I really grew in experience in my administrative skill area. I had 60 people working under me.
Great company to work for with great employees
Staff Accountant (Former Employee), Nashville, TNJanuary 7, 2014
Pros: excellent pay, benefits and work environment
Cons: none.
My day consisted of supervising 4 employees in the accounting department. I not only supervised the employees but jumped in each day to help out in any way possible. My job was to also produce the financial statements.
It is an environment that promotes employee passion and engagement for growth within the organization.
Accounts Specialist (Current Employee), Tampa, FLJanuary 2, 2014
My Daily routine consists of processing the critical vendors for the 80+ locations to ensure there are no interruptions of production. Within my department my co-workers all pitch in and there is a great sense of team work. The company is global yet being so big the owners continue to make the office environment that promotes a family feel and a sense of security of employment.
Excellent procedures and systems.
Routine Facilitator II (Former Employee), Rancho Cucamonga, CAJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: systems, processes, benefits.
Cons: working hours.
Awesome company. Very structured and invested a lot in developing tools for constantly improving procedures and safety. Communication needs to be improved but overall a great company.
Low work demand & Fun place
Refit Mechanic / Utility Operator (Former Employee), Vidor, TXDecember 19, 2013
Inventory Intake
enter data into computers
maintain office/shop supplies
parts runner & delivery driver
Mechanic Assistant
Great place to work,productive fast pace
Cell support specialist (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCDecember 6, 2013
production driven operation with early start times
Learned how to be a Manager
The management team is great
co-workers are supportive
Tundage Worker/ Slide Gate Technician
Technician (Former Employee), Vidor, TXNovember 22, 2013
Pros: excellent work schedule. decent salary and lots of overtime. five minutes from house
Cons: in house union, making it hard get promoted. promotions made by seniority
This was the job i was going to retire from. I loved what i did. I was a tech for the company. I was in charge of slide gates at the bottom of furnace ladles that controlled the outflow of liquid steel. My job was to monitor controls and prevent malfunctions. Also do any maintenance or rebuilding of addles, slide gates, and tundishes.

Due to the instability of the economy at the time, unfortunately they had to shut down the mill and go back to Brazil where their company was based out of.
My Gerdau Career
Shipper (Former Employee), Beaumont, TXNovember 22, 2013
I became crane certified, management was fair, my co-workers were hard working and my job was fairly easy.
The company has great employies and pay well with bonuses but with new changes they are implimenting they make them globaly and do not take individual
millwirght (Former Employee), Petersburg, VAOctober 26, 2013
Pros: gerdau has good bonuse prog, paid lunches, fair benifits
Cons: you never know when you will get off, make global changes at drop of a hat, always on call, lack of man power
we would have line out and safety contact for the day and based on production and work needing addressing we would plan our day. we never new when one part of the mill would be running at one time. The melt shop could turn around at any time or the mill could change over at any time. We then would split into crews or as one group depending on what needed to be done.
We never new when we would get off if a crane was down you don't leave and always on call seven days a week I would average 3,000 3,300 hours a year
I was able to make use of my mechanics skill set.
Roll SHOP-Guide Repairman (Former Employee), Perth Amboy, NJSeptember 28, 2013
Pros: full time
Cons: n/a
The work experience was a good one. Salary was good, workplace was comfortable as it could be.
Operator (Current Employee), Beaumont, TXSeptember 15, 2013
Pros: i like the shift i work
Cons: hot and dirty
A typical day a work is to start out with a safe topic and to know what is expected of me.I have learned new machinery,My manageme nt respect and are always beside me.My coworkers are easy to get along with the hardest part of my job can very physical but its ok cause i need the exercise any way.I enjoy when the day is over that I have produced my goals for my employer
production
Process Operator-Inspection (Current Employee), beaumont txSeptember 2, 2013
Pros: 4 on 4 off
Cons: 4on 4 off
Its the steel Business . its hot hard and tough. learn how to make steel.
Excellent place to work!!!
SALES AND MARKETING ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee), Tampa, FLJuly 24, 2013
Pros: all pro!
Cons: no con!
I gained a lot of experience through this company. I loved it.
Fast-paced work environment.
Estimator (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALJuly 5, 2013
Management is global. Gerdau has many locations throughout the world.
I am looking for new and challenging job opportunities
Master Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), Knoxville, TNJuly 2, 2013
Responsible for repairing and maintaining the reliability of a variety of machine in the steel making process. Examples are the following but not limited too: 110 ton 250v DC Overhead crane, 45 MVA Transformer, 13,800 Volt Switch gear, Static Var and Capacitor banks, Complex Hydraulic systems, SLC 505 processors / limited in control logics, Carbon & Oxygen injection system, Evacuation System, and Equipment cooling system. Other responsibilities are ordering parts and maintaining equipment records, and while continuing to make improvements to the equipment to improve overall dependability.
Worked for 2 Vice Presidents
Executive Assistant to 2 VP's (Former Employee), Tampa, FLJuly 1, 2013
Learned a lot at this position about reporting and the importance of confidentially.
Was a good place to work if you candle it.
Shipper Checker Loader (Former Employee), Louisville, KYJune 10, 2013
Pros: every major holiday off w/pay.
Cons: long hours during peak season
Hard, honest work. I learned to operate an overhead crane, operate a shear, and move 40ft.- 65ft. trailers using and yard tractor.
good job
shop fabricator (Former Employee), Duluth, GAMay 28, 2013
Working at this company was great. The hours were great, great benefits. I really enjoyed my time with the company.
leadership at this mill is in dire need of change
Various (Former Employee), KnoxvilleMay 17, 2013
This company is good but the Knoxville Mill leadership is terrible. Lots of secrets and down talking to employees. They try to portray a great working environment but leadership will be the one that stops you from doing anything to achieve your goals.

About Gerdau Ameristeel

Gerdau Ameristeel puts its stamp on the steel business in the US. The company is one of the largest minimill steelmakers in North – Read more