Germanna Community College Employee Reviews

Not bad as an Adjunct but could be better
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJune 29, 2017
Work is unpredictable from semester to semester. Communications are poor with ongoing issues which directly affect classroom curriculum. Labs are pretty much unproductive and dwell on a lot of unimportant issues.

Having said that the environment is very independent and not micromanaged.
Pros
Independent
Cons
A lot is lost do to poor communication with Adjuncts
Fun, Enjoy people,
Safety and Security Manager (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJune 24, 2017
Nice people at Germanna Community College. I have currently returned to Germanna in the capacity of a Security Officer. The Officers here are really nice people.
Pros
People
Cons
Benefits no insurance for part time officers
A good place to work
INSTITUTIONAL RESEARCH ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAApril 25, 2017
Germanna Community College is a great place to start your first real career. The people are caring and flexible. Time off is adequate,however, salaries are low for the area.
Not Culturally Diverse
Communication Studies Department Chair (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAMarch 13, 2017
The faculty and ideological practices of the institution are monolithic and lack diversity. There is a gap between being able to provide students with what they need and pandering to the demographic to keep students complacent with their educational expectations.
Productive and accommodating work environment
Veterans Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAFebruary 22, 2017
Maintain all inclusive office environment to help veterans and/or their dependents utilize educational benefits and provide any relevant assistance with VA related inquiries.
Pros
Flexible hours and weekends off
Cons
No advancement and limited contract
Great environment and work conditions; Lacks continuity and permanency.
Counseling (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAFebruary 20, 2017
Great place to work, allows for autonomy, and independence; Lay offs and budget cuts detract from the wonderful environment and coworkers. The workplace culture is very much focused on education and trainings. The management is respectful and caring. A typical day is demanding, but manageable.
Pros
Work conditions & co-workers
Cons
Continuous budget cut talk;
School was great to work at
Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Spotsylvania, VAJanuary 11, 2017
Attend school. Everyone was pleasent to work around. Would recommend anyone to attend the school. The school had a great rating of attenance and completion of most degrees.
Fun workplace
Business Office work study (Former Employee) –  Locust Grove, VAJanuary 8, 2017
I worked with very nice people here! I loved that job, it always kept me busy and I loved to do all the organizing! The fact that I had my own cubicle was also awesome.
Pros
flexible hours
productive small workplace easygoing
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VANovember 2, 2016
Work was not difficult customers were not always agreeable management was great required attention to detail some long hours had to be worked when classes started
Pros
flexiable schedualing and great staff
Cons
occasionally long hours
Great institution to start furthering your education
Full-time College Student (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAOctober 14, 2016
Germanna Community College has proven to be an exquisite place to begin furthering your education. The professors are extremely knowledgeable and ensure understanding and achievement of all students. The counseling center also does an excellent job at guiding students through the best path to success.
Pros
small classrooms, flexible schedules
Cons
testing center hours are limited
OK for entry level work
Media Specialist (Current Employee) –  Locust Grove, VAJuly 19, 2016
Some departments do not have room for advancement. Good Old Boys network is in full swing here. Due to budget from state, raises don't happen, even for cost of living.
Nice people
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VA 22408July 10, 2016
Nice people to work with. Flexible and caring. Everyone contributes. Work/life balance is great. Management it good. Learned a lot about working for the state.
Teaching Student
College Professor (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAMay 27, 2016
Taught my IT class, graded papers, I learned time management at another level. Management was supportive when needed. Co workers would answer questions if needed. Getting students to do their homework. Seeing thme pass the class
Pros
Taught Students
Cons
A very amiable environment with friendly faces wherever one goes. (Especially the Locust Grove campus!)
Tutor & GCC 2015 Summer Phonebank Supervisor (Former Employee) –  2130 Germanna Highway, Locust Grove, VA, 22508May 21, 2016
A typical day at work would entail tending to students and managing appointments or constructing spreadsheets (depending on the job) in a quiet environment.

I learned to multi-task between tutoring students and writing evaluations on their learning progress/fabricating spreadsheets while speaking on the telephone (sometimes in conversational Spanish!).
The managers were always very respectful and took the time to not only get to know me professionally, but also personally. This helped strengthen my already well-driven work ethic.

The co-workers at the tutoring center are superb! We collaborate and help each other constantly--definitely a feel-good environment.

The workers at the call-center, however, were difficult to work with. I was the supervisor, and although we had all met our call and report quotas, these workers exhibited negative behavior. I had to address this immediately, as I took action by speaking with them as a group, and one-on-one with two of the team members. I made sure that this behavior was noted as unacceptable, and any continuation of said behavior would be reported to my supervisor.

I would have to say that the most enjoyable part of the job as a tutor was feeling incredibly useful to the community. Students felt comfortable with me, and they were able to excel in their classes.
As a supervisor of the call center, I can say that I enjoyed speaking with students on the phone. I was informative and the team and I collaborated consistently in order to guarantee that the right information was being shared with prospecting students.

Overall,
  more... I gathered a wealth of experience and knowledge from this work place. I learned how to better communicate one-on-one with in-need students, while sharpening my multi-tasking abilities. At the meantime, my supervisor job polished me into a stronger and better leader; I know how to better approach an uncomfortable situation while defusing, or preventing, any negative complications at hand.  less
Pros
flexible lunch hours; great career mobility; professional and personable managers/supervisors
Cons
As a tutor, if there are many appointments, it's difficult to find time to eat lunch (applying to part-time people)
Fun place for students to gain skills
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAMay 20, 2016
Very flexible work schedule. It was a great place to start learning skills for laboratory work. The pay was low and not many hours to be had.
Ideal work environment for those culturally and academically focused
Work Study Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAMay 10, 2016
The community at Germanna Community College is both productive and accommodating. Administration at the college maintains a healthy and forward mentality in all of their workings, while the president of the college strives for and succeeds in creating a healthy working and learning environment for everyone in attendance. Modeling this philosophy, the Dean of Arts and Sciences leads a phenomenal department.

There were no difficult parts of having worked at Germanna Community College as all aspects were essentially compartmentalized due to the standardly workflow and focused demeanor. The most enjoyable part of the job was the streamlined rate of success that the college emanates.
Pros
Productive, healthy, successful
Great location
Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJanuary 26, 2016
It was a great location and near my home. The salary was real low for the work you had to do. My typical day was helping student enroll in classes and printing out transcripts. My co-workers was ok.
work study
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VANovember 14, 2015
It was very helpful, Learned how to deban and destroy old laptops and servers. Cissco routers with xterm and erasing data
working independently to get the work done
Pros
Nice team members
Cons
no work on holidays
Productive and fun-place.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Stafford, VAOctober 16, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them.
Administrative Program Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAMarch 31, 2015
I have enjoyed my time at Germanna Community College, but it is time for me to move on to bigger and better things and seek a full-time position.