Germanna Community College Employee Reviews

OK for entry level work
Media Specialist (Current Employee) –  Locust Grove, VAJuly 19, 2016
Some departments do not have room for advancement. Good Old Boys network is in full swing here. Due to budget from state, raises don't happen, even for cost of living.
Teaching Student
College Professor (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAMay 27, 2016
Taught my IT class, graded papers, I learned time management at another level. Management was supportive when needed. Co workers would answer questions if needed. Getting students to do their homework. Seeing thme pass the class
Pros
Taught Students
Cons
A very amiable environment with friendly faces wherever one goes. (Especially the Locust Grove campus!)
Tutor & GCC 2015 Summer Phonebank Supervisor (Former Employee) –  2130 Germanna Highway, Locust Grove, VA, 22508May 21, 2016
A typical day at work would entail tending to students and managing appointments or constructing spreadsheets (depending on the job) in a quiet environment.

I learned to multi-task between tutoring students and writing evaluations on their learning progress/fabricating spreadsheets while speaking on the telephone (sometimes in conversational Spanish!).
The managers were always very respectful and took the time to not only get to know me professionally, but also personally. This helped strengthen my already well-driven work ethic.

The co-workers at the tutoring center are superb! We collaborate and help each other constantly--definitely a feel-good environment.

The workers at the call-center, however, were difficult to work with. I was the supervisor, and although we had all met our call and report quotas, these workers exhibited negative behavior. I had to address this immediately, as I took action by speaking with them as a group, and one-on-one with two of the team members. I made sure that this behavior was noted as unacceptable, and any continuation of said behavior would be reported to my supervisor.

I would have to say that the most enjoyable part of the job as a tutor was feeling incredibly useful to the community. Students felt comfortable with me, and they were able to excel in their classes.
As a supervisor of the call center, I can say that I enjoyed speaking with students on the phone. I was informative and the team and I collaborated consistently in order to guarantee that the right information was being shared with prospecting students.

Overall,
  more... I gathered a wealth of experience and knowledge from this work place. I learned how to better communicate one-on-one with in-need students, while sharpening my multi-tasking abilities. At the meantime, my supervisor job polished me into a stronger and better leader; I know how to better approach an uncomfortable situation while defusing, or preventing, any negative complications at hand.  less
Pros
flexible lunch hours; great career mobility; professional and personable managers/supervisors
Cons
As a tutor, if there are many appointments, it's difficult to find time to eat lunch (applying to part-time people)
Fun place for students to gain skills
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAMay 20, 2016
Very flexible work schedule. It was a great place to start learning skills for laboratory work. The pay was low and not many hours to be had.
Ideal work environment for those culturally and academically focused
Work Study Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAMay 10, 2016
The community at Germanna Community College is both productive and accommodating. Administration at the college maintains a healthy and forward mentality in all of their workings, while the president of the college strives for and succeeds in creating a healthy working and learning environment for everyone in attendance. Modeling this philosophy, the Dean of Arts and Sciences leads a phenomenal department.

There were no difficult parts of having worked at Germanna Community College as all aspects were essentially compartmentalized due to the standardly workflow and focused demeanor. The most enjoyable part of the job was the streamlined rate of success that the college emanates.
Pros
Productive, healthy, successful
Great location
Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJanuary 26, 2016
It was a great location and near my home. The salary was real low for the work you had to do. My typical day was helping student enroll in classes and printing out transcripts. My co-workers was ok.
work study
Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VANovember 14, 2015
It was very helpful, Learned how to deban and destroy old laptops and servers. Cissco routers with xterm and erasing data
working independently to get the work done
Pros
Nice team members
Cons
no work on holidays
Productive and fun-place.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Stafford, VAOctober 16, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management.
The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them.
Administrative Program Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAMarch 31, 2015
I have enjoyed my time at Germanna Community College, but it is time for me to move on to bigger and better things and seek a full-time position.
Dedicated to adult education
Special Assistant to the Vice President (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJanuary 26, 2015
I have long believed like Horace Mann that education is the great equalizer. The literature is full of examples of persons who have been able to increase their standard of living and/or overcome poverty and adversity through educational opportunities. Germanna Community College is a place where students can learn new skills, complete a degree or certificate and transfer to a four-year school or into the job market with the skills neccesary to be successful. I enjoy beging a facilitator of learning.
Nice work environment filled with funny, creative, and talented people.
Adjunct English Professor (Web-enhanced) (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJanuary 23, 2015
It nice to work in an environment where one has creative freedom and control. Also, being an adjunct means that I had a lot of flexibility in my schedule. Because I worked in an educational environment, it afforded me the opportunity to bounce ideas off of people with a lot of experience. There was never a shortage of creativity
Pros
close to home, flexible schedule, a lot of independence
Cons
low pay and no benefits
Administrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant / Computer Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VADecember 23, 2014
process online orders
handle all customer issues and concerns
answer the phone
work with all levels of management
process all incoming and outgoing mail
proficient in Microsoft 2013
Pros
flexable schedueling
Cons
not enough hours per week
Wonderful place to be
Laboratory researcheological specialist (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAOctober 15, 2014
I loved working here. It was a great opportunity. My immediate supervisor became my best friend and promoted a great work life balance. I started out as a work study and took the position when I graduated. it was a great opportunity and now I can use that experience professionally.
Pros
great work life balance. wonderful people to work with. great supervisor. great oppertunity
Cons
the president is a little off setting and doesn't remember who the permanent employees are.
Very laid back and excellent for students.
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  FredericksburgJuly 1, 2014
Germanna Community College is a great institution to be on the Adjunct Faculty staff.
Welcoming Local Job Environment
Library Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAApril 29, 2014
This is a growing library program looking for new staff. It's full of good people, eager students, and emerging technologies, but also rooted in tradition. The infrastructure of the school is a bit more spread out than it needs to be. I think if they consolidated their campuses and staff, they could get more done much more quickly without all the red tape and multiple lines of communication. That said, the workforce is welcoming and there is room to grow.
Good School
Student (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VANovember 25, 2013
Lots of options for education. Initially received my Paraprofessional Counseling Certification and completed my Associates Degree
Productive workplace
Financial Aid Advisor (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAFebruary 21, 2013
Seeing students and I have learn how important financial aid is to the process of people furthering their education. It is a fulfilling position and management is an important link in this process. the support and training is always there. They are great in working well with you. The most enjoyable part of this job is knowing that you have helped someone succeed with going toward their dream and your co-workers.
Pros
programs
Stimulating environment, supportive peers
Nursing Instructor - Practical Nursing Program (Former Employee) –  Locust Grove, VAMay 4, 2012
The co-workers were great to work with and students are always stimulating. The hardest part of the job was weak management of campus teaching assignments (not having consistent advance notice r/t teaching responsibilities) so less able to be as fully prepared as may have desired.
Pros
numerous opportunities for professional growth
Cons
travel distance for clinical settings, increasingly incompatible with fuel costs

4.3