Gettysburg College Employee Reviews

A great Academic Organization
Senior Learning Media Specialist (Former Employee) –  Gettysburg, PANovember 11, 2017
A great College with a strong Academic reputation that sits in the middle of Historic Gettysburg, PA.
The campus provides a rich Academic environment, with a small-town feel.
Central to Washington and Baltimore too !
Teacher's assistant for computer science
Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gettysburg, PAAugust 18, 2017
It is easy money for a college student in the major. I sat through the lower level classes and held office hours once a week for the students to receive assistance on homework or studying.
Excellent Adjunct Opportunties
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Gettysburg, PAJune 19, 2017
Gettysburg College is a highly selective liberal arts college. Great small town atmosphere, intimate class sizes, engaged students. Great compensation for adjuncts. At 4 classes they offer health benefits.
Pros
small class sizes, engaged students
Cons
few opportunities
Great place to work as a Track Coach
Assistant Track and Field Coach (Current Employee) –  Gettysburg, PAMay 24, 2017
As a coach most days Monday through Friday I will work 2 to 3 hours depending on what practice consists of that days. Weekends during the season become the majority of your hours where you may be working anywhere from 10-16 hours that day. Weekends are taken up with this job but I find it very enjoyable and am willing to trade my weekend to work. Everyone I work with is very nice and understanding. Great benefit of access to their pool and fitness center.
A way to express a creative spirit while getting paid
Woodshop worker (Current Employee) –  Gettysburg, PAMarch 12, 2017
I worked with wood and power tools every day. I learned how to construct stages for theater productions out of wood. I learned how to properly and safely use power tools. The workplace culture and management was relaxed. The hardest part of the job was learning everything and not getting paid until much later. The most enjoyable part was sawing wood.
Good place to begin career
Peer Learning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gettysburg, PAJanuary 19, 2017
I was here as a student. It was a good college. Very small, which can be a good or a bad thing depending on perspective. Excellent professors. College offers many opportunities to learn what you are interested in
Great support staff workers but no recognition
Employee (Current Employee) –  Gettysburg, PANovember 20, 2016
I have worked multiple positions within different departments on campus but most of the issues that arise with the college is within the operational decisions made by the committees. Votes on employees wages are left to a group that does not work with the staff or understand how the day to day operations run. Limited room for advancement and minimal employee evaluations are afforded so it is hard to show what you are worth. On a positive note the employees are great. They pour a lot into their work and always present an amazing experience for the members of the campus.
Pros
Friendly staff, good work/life balance, and good educational benifits
Cons
Wages, Rarely any evaluations for your work which leaves little room for advancement
Wonderful Supportive Work Environment
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Gettysburg, PAAugust 27, 2016
I loved working in the English Department at Gettysburg College. My colleagues were supportive. They treated me as a full member of the department and invested in me as a professor and a writer.
Great student work experience
Intramural Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Gettysburg, PADecember 27, 2015
- fun, easy job with great work experience
- allows ability to balance schoolwork and work duties
- Great people to work with
- Flexible hours
Great environment, Led by great Professor
Research assistant (Former Employee) –  Gettysburg, PAJune 15, 2015
I learned a lot about how to run an experiment and how to communicate with the people who were participating in them. We set our on times to work, and the best part of the job was spending time with the various dogs that came in. My Co-worker was my best friend.

Want to know more about Gettysburg College?

Ask a question
great job, easy
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gettysburg, PAJune 11, 2015
As an administrative assistant. I was responsible for assisting the administrator. I really enjoyed my job and it was not stressful at all. My boss was very nice and she worked around my class schedule.
its good if you have kids going into college
Dining services (Current Employee) –  Gettysburg, PaMarch 12, 2015
a typical regular low grade paying job is not really worth anyone's time here if you don't have kids within two years of getting ready to go to college. Why two years? Because you need two years of full time work to be able to take all the of the benefits Gettysburg college currently offers.
This job doesn't give you much of a raise and dependent on where you work you may not ever see the raise you deserve. Some people you will notice work much much harder than others. You may seem over worked while someone next to you can go eat ice cream.
The hardest part of this job is knowing where you stand. If you work hard or the hardest of most everyone, chances are you are going to feel burnt out pretty quickly. Management could use some adjustments and the way things are overseen (as in asking full time employee's what things could be changed to have a positive effect on the work environment.) There are circles of bias, there are circles where some can do no wrong and others can do everything wrong. There are circles that some will not do nearly as much as others.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the benefits that each part of the college has to offer. If you are a full time house keeper your looking at early hours, food industry you looking at free meal or two a work shift. If you work on a computer you never have to lift anything super heavy with pretty much office hours of 8-4 or 5. What does everyone enjoy? The holidays, the amount of sick, vacation and holidays off are definitely a lot more valuable than the pay.
If you have kids going into college well
  more... then this story takes a whole different turn. You should do it. this college will give you more than a substantial amount of money to let you or your kids go to college. However, you or your kids must keep a certain GPA for each class. So just be sure its what you need. And its kind of hard to take classes if you work full time because most of the management teams will give you grief for trying to take classes if it clashes with your schedule.  less
Pros
free classes, good health insurance
Cons
pay dependent on where you work. management dependent on where you work
job security
maintenance (Former Employee) –  maitenanceNovember 1, 2014
Training for assigned Job practically non existent. Current employees do Not want to Train a new employee because they are not compensated for the extra work and time involved.. Their favorite response is '" not my Job '" .or " not what I was hired to do " Employee " turn over " is often and schedule is erratic. Casual / Part Time means you can be fired at any time , for no reason or warning. If you like to gossip about your fellow employees and stab your management in the back because you think you can do a better Job than they do. You'll fit right in.
Pros
? ? ? met a few nice people
Cons
No future, no benefits, poor pay
Close community allowing personal growth and exploration
Re-entry Mentor (Former Employee) –  Gettysburg, PAJuly 7, 2014
- I met with assigned mentees to discuss their time abroad and difficulties with returning to college. I provided advise on the re-entry experience.
- I developed skills important to working with other people, including listening and offering relevant information
ok
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  gettysburg, PAJuly 4, 2014
on raise in 3 years because part-time. Didn't know when you were to work the next week until Friday night.
Fun and caring work place
Officer (Current Employee) –  Gettysburg, PAJanuary 30, 2014
Everyday is different which makes this job exciting. The management is will to work with you on getting training and giving you time off you need it. The community as a whole is great.
Teacher's Assistant
Peer Learning Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gettysburg, PAJanuary 24, 2014
I teach 4 labs in Microeconomic theory through the use of either problem sets or class discussions on practical applications of Microeconomics in public policy. I also make myself available outside of the lab to answer any questions the students may have.
Great learning environment and open to schedule changes
Costume Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gettysburg, PAMay 22, 2013
Gettysburg College provides several different job opportunities to its students and the theater is one of the best, most interesting places to work. Everyone in the theater is friendly and is treated like family. A day in the costume shop usually consists of either helping the head of the shop or the costume designer with any projects they need done or continuing a project started the day before. Even if you lack sewing skills, the head and the designers are very understanding and open to teaching their employees new techniques. Work can get hectic towards the opening of the show but seeing your work on stage is well worth it.
I did not like it
house keeper (Former Employee) –  Gettysburg PAMarch 8, 2013
The management was horrible. The job was gross, I liked my co-workers. The college kids were disgusting they way they lived. I did not like working here.
Pros
my kids could have gone to college free or almost free
Cons
everything else
Productive and flexible workplace
Academic Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gettysburg, PAJanuary 9, 2013
Gettysburg College provides flexibility where needed for professional training, education, or personal matters. It is a pleasent work envirnment overall. People are very cordial. Students are generally respectful.

The hardset part would be the inabililty to advace into areas outside of your current position.

I love working with the students as well as faculty with training events.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
pay does not meet the average pay for the level of responsibility