Gettysburg College

Gettysburg College Employee Reviews

great job, easy
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Gettysburg, PAJune 11, 2015
As an administrative assistant. I was responsible for assisting the administrator. I really enjoyed my job and it was not stressful at all. My boss was very nice and she worked around my class schedule.
its good if you have kids going into college
Dining services (Current Employee), Gettysburg, PaMarch 12, 2015
Pros: free classes, good health insurance
Cons: pay dependent on where you work. management dependent on where you work
a typical regular low grade paying job is not really worth anyone's time here if you don't have kids within two years of getting ready to go to college. Why two years? Because you need two years of full time work to be able to take all the of the benefits Gettysburg college currently offers.
This job doesn't give you much of a raise and dependent on where you work you may not ever see the raise you – more... deserve. Some people you will notice work much much harder than others. You may seem over worked while someone next to you can go eat ice cream.
The hardest part of this job is knowing where you stand. If you work hard or the hardest of most everyone, chances are you are going to feel burnt out pretty quickly. Management could use some adjustments and the way things are overseen (as in asking full time employee's what things could be changed to have a positive effect on the work environment.) There are circles of bias, there are circles where some can do no wrong and others can do everything wrong. There are circles that some will not do nearly as much as others.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the benefits that each part of the college has to offer. If you are a full time house keeper your looking at early hours, food industry you looking at free meal or two a work shift. If you work on a computer you never have to lift anything super heavy with pretty much office hours of 8-4 or 5. What does everyone enjoy? The holidays, the amount of sick, vacation and holidays off are definitely a lot more valuable than the pay.
If you have kids going into college well then this story takes a whole different turn. You should do it. this college will give you more than a substantial amount of money to let you or your kids go to college. However, you or your kids must keep a certain GPA for each class. So just be sure its what you need. And its kind of hard to take classes if you work full time because most of the management teams will give you grief for trying to take classes if it clashes with your schedule. – less
job security
maintenance (Former Employee), maitenanceNovember 1, 2014
Pros: ? ? ? met a few nice people
Cons: no future, no benefits, poor pay
Training for assigned Job practically non existent. Current employees do Not want to Train a new employee because they are not compensated for the extra work and time involved.. Their favorite response is '" not my Job '" .or " not what I was hired to do " Employee " turn over " is often and schedule is erratic. Casual / Part Time means you can be fired at any time , for no reason or warning. If you like to gossip about your fellow employees and stab your management in the back because you think you can do a better Job than they do. You'll fit right in.
Close community allowing personal growth and exploration
Re-entry Mentor (Former Employee), Gettysburg, PAJuly 7, 2014
- I met with assigned mentees to discuss their time abroad and difficulties with returning to college. I provided advise on the re-entry experience.
- I developed skills important to working with other people, including listening and offering relevant information
ok
Dishwasher (Former Employee), gettysburg, PAJuly 4, 2014
on raise in 3 years because part-time. Didn't know when you were to work the next week until Friday night.
Fun and caring work place
Officer (Current Employee), Gettysburg, PAJanuary 30, 2014
Everyday is different which makes this job exciting. The management is will to work with you on getting training and giving you time off you need it. The community as a whole is great.
Teacher's Assistant
Peer Learning Assistant (Current Employee), Gettysburg, PAJanuary 24, 2014
I teach 4 labs in Microeconomic theory through the use of either problem sets or class discussions on practical applications of Microeconomics in public policy. I also make myself available outside of the lab to answer any questions the students may have.
Great learning environment and open to schedule changes
Costume Shop Assistant (Former Employee), Gettysburg, PAMay 22, 2013
Gettysburg College provides several different job opportunities to its students and the theater is one of the best, most interesting places to work. Everyone in the theater is friendly and is treated like family. A day in the costume shop usually consists of either helping the head of the shop or the costume designer with any projects they need done or continuing a project started the day before. Even if you lack sewing skills, the head and the designers are very understanding and open to teaching their employees new techniques. Work can get hectic towards the opening of the show but seeing your work on stage is well worth it.
I did not like it
house keeper (Former Employee), Gettysburg PAMarch 8, 2013
Pros: my kids could have gone to college free or almost free
Cons: everything else
The management was horrible. The job was gross, I liked my co-workers. The college kids were disgusting they way they lived. I did not like working here.
Productive and flexible workplace
Academic Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Gettysburg, PAJanuary 9, 2013
Pros: great benefits
Cons: pay does not meet the average pay for the level of responsibility
Gettysburg College provides flexibility where needed for professional training, education, or personal matters. It is a pleasent work envirnment overall. People are very cordial. Students are generally respectful.

The hardset part would be the inabililty to advace into areas outside of your current position.

I love working with the students as well as faculty with training events.
PA best place to work...
Office of Admissions, Admissions Assistant (Former Employee), Gettysburg, PASeptember 19, 2012
Stands true to all reviews. Supportive offices, teaching administrators, very expandable positions.
Productive and educational work environment in the Scene Shop
Scene Shop employee (Current Employee), Gettysburg, PAFebruary 21, 2012
I worked there for only a week or two and was well prepared to handle any number of tasks assigned to me, either alone or with other workers. I was even able to supervise and instruct others in a number of tasks.