GHD Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
An okay company
Controls Design Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cazenovia, NYSeptember 5, 2017
GHD is a quiet place with hardworking people who work consistent hours and do their job. It is a quiet place where billable work is everything. If there isn't enough billable work, people start getting scared of being laid off.
Great Work Environment
Environmental Technician (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 17, 2017
Great Work Environment and compensation. Benefits are great. Tons for work but you're never home. Management is supportive. Staff works well with each other, everyone helps out where they can.
Good small office atmosphere
engineer (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAAugust 14, 2017
Small office working primarily for local industrial facilities, good work environment, flexible with time off, good client relationships which tends to lead to a low staff turnover rate.
Pros
steady work
Good career but moved on for better opportunities
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 1, 2017
Some days I was so busy putting together memorandums with my boss and engineers to where we would work fourteen hour shifts. After leaving GHD and going to Rexel, I regret my decision, because GHD is an overall good company to work for. Some days,, when there weren't any Emergency Responses or PO's to prepare for clients I would walk to other teams to see if the needed my assistance. The hardest part of the job was when they was no work, the most enjoyable would be formatting documents, I am a Microsoft expert so even people in our Arkansas office would send me documents to format before sending to the client.
Pros
Positive Atmosphere
Cons
Not challenging enough
productive workplace
Internship Student (Former Employee) –  长沙市July 27, 2017
Although I just have a short-term internship in GHD, I think this is a very good company. This is such a good atmosphere, the colleagues here taught me a lot and let me have an excellent experience.
unable to say
Staff Geologist (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJune 3, 2017
GHD, Inc. merged with Conestroga Rovers & Associates shortly before I left; I cannot report accurately what working for new management was like, however a mass exodus of my colleagues did occur
Good place to start
Environmental Technician (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAMay 11, 2017
I had a unique position where I was located at a client's jobsite about an hour away from the office. So it is difficult to comment on the company. But what little I saw, I enjoyed.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tamuning, GUApril 16, 2017
A typical day would start with emails, mail, and finding out what errands need to be done. I've learned how to work with invoices, set up meetings, and my communication skills have strengthened. Management was very kind, patient, and understanding. Whenever I needed help they made time and assisted me with whatever needed to be done. The hardest part of the job was just picking up where somewhere left off without any training what so ever, but it was ok I'm a fast learner I pick things up easily. The most enjoyable part of the job was that my coworkers welcomed me with open arms and made it an easy adjustment to including me into their team.
Good company to work for
Senior Electrical/Instrumentation designer (Former Employee) –  Port Allen, LAApril 5, 2017
I can't really say anything negative about them. They have great benefits, and the pay is on par with the industry standard. Management is good and work with you too find solutions.
Pros
great company
Cons
Good place to gain experience
Environmental Scientist (Former Employee) –  ArizonaMarch 10, 2017
Provides broad range of various types of projects.

Good place to gain experience.

Vacation and sick time were comparable to industry standards.

Good benefits.
Streamlined and competitive consulting firm
Environmental Scientist I (Current Employee) –  LouisianaMay 19, 2016
A very competitive and high paced consulting firm. Management at this company depends highly on your immediate supervisor and principle in charge. High work load with overtime expected, but not much compensation for efforts. Can create a career, but must be entirely dedicated to the company. A very good place for gaining a wide range of experience in industrial remediation and management.
Unstable Work Environment and unprofessional culture
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 11, 2016
GHD is the kind of company where what you know or what you studied doesn't matter as much as who's group you are in. Routine sights at the company would include prank calls, rough-housing in the kitchen, people calling out their credit card information over speakerphone, massive layoffs with no warning (even of pregnant women and people returning from medical leave). This is supplemented by a general malaise onset by cut-throat principals with a reputation for firing people on a whim or if they're having a bad day. You are not in control of your destiny as your performance is based 100% on how billable your work is, yet groups and individuals hoard work whether or not they or anyone else in their group has the appropriate qualifications or knowledge to responsibly contribute to it. This leads to an unfair level of office competition which skews the analysis on how actually valuable or knowledgeable employees are. Due to these systemic deficiencies, the client base is not given the highest standard of care. Therefore, GHD's entire business model is invalidated.
Pros
A paycheck and benefits
Cons
Everything else
Management needs major improvement
Employee (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MIApril 20, 2016
Some managers don't know there employees jobs and barely know there own. Before merger it was more family oriented, now completely corporate. Don't trust them and don't expect advancement if you are a woman. Used to get good bonuses at holiday time went from $700 down to $150. Also they no longer give pay increase at the beginning of the year. If you are admin staff you are at the bottom of the barrel. I think it's a good company but mergers aren't always good for employees of the company that is overtaken.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Some bad managers, no job security even at a high level of management
Good group of guys to work with.
Equipment operator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TX 77040April 8, 2016
Very safe oriented company. Get to travel a lot. Always going to new jobs with little to no down time. All the guys work as a team. Always looking out for each other and helping when someone needs help.
Fast pace place to gain a lot of experience
Environmental Engineer (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 22, 2016
Great place to get a lot of various experience in a short amount of time
Field work is abundant
plenty of opportunities to improve technical writing on reporting
Travel
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Many PlacesMarch 16, 2016
If you like to travel this this is a good place learn and earn and travel. You work hard. Always something to accomplish. If you enjoy being out doors you will endure all the whether challenges of this job.
Pros
Lots of overtime
Cons
Cut pay when it rains
Good Company
Quality Systems Representative/Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARFebruary 25, 2016
Good company to work for overall. There are areas however that are lacking, advancement, job work/life balance and comradery.
Pros
Good beneifts and pay
Cons
Job work/life balance, advancement opportunities
Since Merger Work Culture has declined
Prefer not to say (Current Employee) –  New YorkFebruary 20, 2016
After the Merger became official it brought about a change in work ethic that former company prided itself in. Work/family life balance declined as you are expected to work longer hours and be available after hours for phone calls. Procedures and processes that changed did not account for former company's client base and project management/billing. No longer can adequately keep up with work even though amount of work has not changed. Emphasis is one Revenue and forecasting and NOT on the client. Commitment to Health & Safety is a concern as it doesn't seem to be as strong as former company. Former company prided itself on being client oriented and cared about work/family balance. Management is quick to fault and slow to provide the tools needed to get a job done.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Long work hours
Big change after the merger
Project Chemist (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 22, 2015
I was originally employed by CRA and we underwent a merger with GHD, Inc. The company culture totally changed after the merger went into effect. The management was too spread out geographically and there was no direction as to corporate priorities after the merger. I should not have had to deal with a direct supervisor on the opposite side of the country and who had never been a supervisor prior to getting me as a direct report (classic mistake of someone promoted on seniority alone).
Pros
I enjoyed the company of the staff in our small regional office, but they were all in other work/task units.
Cons
Clueless senior management, No work/life balance, No clear direction for the unit, especially after the merger. Too flat a corporate structure, No hope of advancement, Too focused on hours billed rather than quality of work
Review Summary
ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  NYSeptember 2, 2015
Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GHD. Our community is ready to answer.