Ghirardelli Chocolate Company Employee Reviews

This is a stressful company to work.
confectionist (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CASeptember 21, 2017
You only get 4 days off a month the union won't back you up you have to stay for 15 years in order to get a pension. The managers will not have your back. And falsely make reports about you if they don't like you. Cant sleep with you or your color of skin The employees will smile in your face but have a hidden motives. It's a highschool environment. You will get anxiety. Everyone is in your business because they work so much they have nothing else to do. Only positive is they hire undocumented immigrants.
Pros
You get candy
Cons
The managers and HR dislike ppl of color.
Productive work place
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 4, 2017
Great Job to have. Plenty of opportunity to move up in any role. Managers help you reach your potential. A place that you would want to go to work at everyday
Poor management
Chocolateer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 24, 2017
Employees are expendable. Management did not care about the working relationship between each other. There was no respect and no privacy. Nothing is confidential when one speaks to management. Just make the ice cream pretty within 4 minutes. Be aware of the working conditions. You are responsible for much more than just preparing ice cream. The body is constantly repeating its movement: scooping, lifting, slipping. The duties are not worth the minimum wage and management will not help to ease the stress on employees.
Pros
free meals
Cons
management, co workers, working environment
Fun and easy place to work
Chocolatier (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 10, 2017
It was one of the best experinces I've ever had. Understandable management,amazing staff. We've been making ice-cream desserts,coffee drinks and smoothies. It was super fun and delicious to work there.
Pros
free food, big breaks
Overall Great
Chocolatier (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 26, 2017
Overall a great place to work and with great pay. The hours are kind of lengthy for an ice cream/ chocolate shop. Lead positions were always favorited and very stagnant to just working the cash register.
A nice and friendly place to work, and your co workers are very friendly, some times very busy though.
Supervisor Cashier/ Stocking (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 13, 2017
It's a very nice place to work, your co workers are very nice and the work there is very easy and productive, can get very crowded sometimes due to the busy seasons, but a very nice atmosphere and place to be.
Pros
Free ice cream, benefits, and many other things.
Cons
Not enough help in certain departments sometimes.
I liked this place better than all of my jobs so far.
Chocolatier (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 13, 2017
I did like this place better than most of the jobs I've held so far since I've started working. Since it was my first job it made it more exciting for me. Everyone was friendly, for the most part and got a long. I did have my fair share of bad days but there were still a lot of good days too.
Pros
A lot of f\very friendly people.
Cons
The manager had an anger problem.
Fast pace work environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 30, 2017
Loved working here. Fast Paced meeting new people and able to work with many people from all over the world. Who does not like chocolate?

Excellent place to work .
Pros
Fast pace with many chances to advance.
Cons
San Francisco too expensive to live
Fun place to work but little chance to advance
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  San Leandro, CAApril 29, 2017
Culture is great, a lot of new people coming in with positive mindset. A lot of turnover lately. Smaller company so not a lot of advancement opportunity, but fun to work at nevertheless. Decent pay - but not great. Overall, I'd recommend as a stepping stone.
Pros
Lots of chocolate and food
Cons
Career advancement is slim
Busy place but decent place to work.
Chocolatier (Current Employee) –  Simpsonville, KYApril 17, 2017
On a typical day I will mainly stock items, greet guest, and work the register. But on weekends when its a lot busier, I will do all that plus jump back an fourth to the fountain where we make the drinks or ice cream.
The most enjoyable part of the job is talking to all the guest and doing everything I can to make their time in Ghirardelli is enjoyable.
The hardest part would have to be when its super busy on the weekends and trying to remain calm all while trying to do several different jobs and trying to make sure everyone's orders are correct.
Pros
good pay, free sundaes.
Cons
things are constantly changing

Want to know more about Ghirardelli Chocolate Company?

Ask a question
Good benefits
Handyman Services (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 16, 2017
Worst company I ever worked for. Managers quit faster than hourly employees. Expected to take on management responsibilities without compensation and when it is brought I was told my position in the company was not critical to the operation so if you want to find another job we won't stop you. I was told I was part of the management team but in reality it was their way to get around the union rules on paying an hourly rate.
Pros
Great people and benifit
Cons
No leadership from management or corporate
Fast Paced with lots of fun and action
Fountain Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 10, 2017
Ghirardelli is seasonal. Its very busy in the summer and around holidays, its big crowds but the work done there is amazing. Its never been so fun being percice with a fast paced work environment. The management team is wonderful. They are enthusiastic, down to earth but focused on the jobs title. We are located in San Francisco so our staff is very diverse. The hardest part to my job as a Supervisor, is getting people to show up on time more consistantly. The most enjoyable part is the relationship employees have with one another and the Beautiful view Ghiradelli Square has on the beach.
Pros
50% off any Item ; One free sundae for clocked in staff
Cons
Very crowded during Summer
Friendly
Quality Assurance/Contract Manufacture Technician (Current Employee) –  San Leandro, CAFebruary 27, 2017
This is a fast working pace company that run 27/4 and you will never run out of things to do. People on the floor are friendly and easy to work with. However, management are hard to deal with and hard to please.
Pros
Lots of OT
Cons
Bad management teams
Good
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Downtown San DiegoJanuary 28, 2017
Cashiering , greeting, busser , keep workarea clean put menus away restock the bags of the managers ask the cashiers sometimes to go to the back to get ice cream
Working with a great team to provide great customer service skills.
Dishwasher/Busser (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 17, 2017
Washing dishes, stocking, cleaning tables, greeting and serving customers. I've learned how keep a Restaurant looking great. I've learned how to work as a team. The hardest part of the job was closing. We have to all work together and fast to get out at a good time. My most enjoyable part of the job is making people smile when they come inside. They leave out smiling and always return with a smile bigger than before.
Pros
free ice cream
Cons
short breaks
Enjoyable Work Environment
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Milpitas, CADecember 18, 2016
I enjoyed my time working for Ghirardelli. I worked with great people. Even though sometimes work may have been tough due to certain customers, my co workers always made me feel better! They were like family! It was definitely a great retail work experience!
Fun working place
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Lathrop, CANovember 30, 2016
Management had a lot of favorites, only cared about people if you where a favorite. Fun environment, great coworkers. Pay sucked for everything you did.
Good Company
Sales Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CANovember 13, 2016
Everyday is different, find a department and leader that can improve your career. Work life balance is great and so are benefits.
great place
Cashier/Retail (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 3, 2016
In the summer,holidays or weekends it becomes very busy which make you move with a sense or urgency. I love moving at a fast pace so it makes it fun for me. working here i have learned that team work plays a huge part without a team things become a harder. The management is great and coworkers are cool. The hardest part of the job is when people call off or don't work as hard.
Fast paced work place, with easy enough work but too many social distractions
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Monterey, CASeptember 28, 2016
It was a decent work place, the work was fairly straight forward and usually employees caught on quickly when they were new hires, but as more time passed almost every employee came into work before every shift complaining and were almost always negative about doing any kind of work they did't "feel like" doing.
Pros
Simple work, close distance to travel to
Cons
Too many distractions, unmotivated staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ghirardelli Chocolate Company. Our community is ready to answer.

Ghirardelli Chocolate Company Reviews by Location