Ghirardelli Chocolate Company

Ghirardelli Chocolate Company Employee Reviews

The worst company I have ever worked for
Chocolateer (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJune 16, 2015
Pros: Leaving
I gave up after six months living in the hellmouth. It was like prison. So much cattiness going on with the managers and it wasn't long before people realized the company is incredibly disrespectful to their employees. Shifts were changed 10 min ahead. Always working overtime. Forcing employees to do humiliating tasks while the managers stand around and giggle like children. We would get yelled at if we were chatting even while the store was completely empty. The managers made sure to send you on and off shift at their convenience. Everything was done with a passive aggressive smile. It doesn't matter if the managers are screaming at you in front of customers, or talking badly about their employees in Spanish, you better smile... even while you're fantasizing about throwing sundae glassware at their face. I was unemployed for months after I quit and I never regretted the decision once.
Good
Sales / Customer Support (Former Employee), Lathrop, CAMay 11, 2015
Answering outgoing and incoming calls, respond to emails, placed orders, shipping out samples, UPS, FedEx and USPS shipping labels, company trade shows, Printing ribbon for special customer orders. The only new thing I learned at this company were the company trade show experience. Management is not the greatest. Co-workers were great, friendly and very helpful. There wasn't anything hard, everything was easy. The best part were the holiday seasons, It was so busy but I loved it, its always their busiest time of the year.
Employee (Current Employee), Orlando, FLMay 6, 2015
You get disney benefits and a 401k after your first year of work, can be stressful at times with large crowds but overall nice to work
Taking a product national
Director of Sales (Former Employee), Chicago, San Fransisco, PortlandMarch 19, 2015
Pros: creativity and support
Cons: new product
Ghirardelli was a company based in San Francisco (San Leandro) and wanted to go national. I was sent to Chicago to create a national program and success of these goals. My typical workday include finding the right accounts to focus my time, hire brokers, and create all the sales pitches, programs, and policies.
Management taught me the chocolate business and the need to create programs that had distribution and ROI as the main components.
The hardest part of the job was to get into the needed buyers to present our skus. In the Specialty/Food service business was also a challenge.
Best part of all my responsibilities at Ghirardelli was seeing the growth. This happened by Face to Face meetings/presentations.
Great Experience
Billing & Trade Funds Specialist (Former Employee), San Leandro, CAMarch 18, 2015
Great place to work for. Many areas for higher learning and career growth. The work environment and culture of the company was pleasant.
Formal environment, but people were genuine
Operations Controller (Former Employee), San Leandro, CAMarch 9, 2015
Pros: culture was easy to work in
Cons: none i can remember
Chocolate was fun to learn about and process interesting. Leadership communicated well. On boarding was made very easy by co-employees.
Great Company / Great Brand!
National Account Manager (Current Employee), NationalFebruary 15, 2015
Overall, and exciting place to work! It is a growing company with a great brand name and great product as well. The work is demanding, but rewarding. The company is - at times - growing faster than the production facility can accommodate.
Do NOT Work For the ONTARIO Location
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Ontario, CaliforniaFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: free chocolate
Cons: everything else
It may seem like a cute and easy job in a chocolate store but NO, it's BAD. I had so much anxiety working there. New employee's are left to fend for themselves and try to figure everything out. NONE of the management even train the new staff, the sales associates do! The sales associates basically do everything except for the paperwork, which some of us actually know how to do. ALL of the management sit in the back and do NOTHING unless it's search the internet, be on their phones, eat, or talk to one another. Oh yes, and they also leave the sale associates in the store alone for hours while they go shopping or eat. If you question any of the management, you get fired. If you try to contact head quarters, you get fired. You're basically set up for failure with this company. They say they have your back, but they're really just getting ready to stab it.
The manager is NEVER there, other supervisors must pickup her slack because she's always hungover and worrying about her love life. And when she does come to work, she ALWAYS comes in later than she says she'll be there and again just sits in the back.
Don't work here, you barely get any money and you have a miserable time making it.
company that's focused on production more than well being of employees
Production Associate/Machine Operator (Current Employee), san leandro,├žaFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: management, only 4 days off a month, have to wait until june to get vacation every year
If you have no life and all you want to do is work and only get 4 days off a month this is the perfect job for you.Oh yea and if you plan to work here forever how does making 20 bucks an hour for the rest of your life sound? no growth within this company, terrible management/scheduling, you won't find out if you have a weekend off until friday every single week. If you are able to say more than 3 words to management/supervisors(not all) without them walking away and ignoring you then that is a miracle.
great enviroment
Server (Former Employee), Miami Beach, FLJanuary 31, 2015
come in get ice cream out of the freezer rotate the ice cream in the freezer once shipment arrives then once we open the restaurant serve customers maintain the restaurant clean
Moments of Time-filled Rage
Cashier/Fountain/Supervisor/Cash-out/Trainer (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAJanuary 1, 2015
Cons: wages don't match inflation
A typical day at work can range from angry mobs of people asking when their ice creams will arrive, to an almost deserted desert place.
It is exactly that a coin toss.

What you get out of this is a cultured filled ride within turbulent days and the power of ice cream with chocolate.

Management, perhaps the worst part of the job is having to deal with managers who at times seem too stressed and too preoccupied with trying to accomplish unrealistic expectations of how a business day should go.

Co-workers, speaking on the premise of an employee the co-workers are among the best, since most have a "we are all in the same boat" mentality.

The most enjoyable part about the job is interacting with such a wide variety of people from many different backgrounds and learning so much from them. And the ice cream.
Great Culture and Identity that promotes Quality
Manager (Current Employee), Hollywood, CASeptember 23, 2014
Working for a chocolate company is great to start with, but Ghirardelli takes it further and follows its values in quality products and services to the consumer and employees. I enjoyed going to work knowing that I personally loved the product and in a retail environment was given freedom to sell the product in a great atmosphere. As a store manager I had freedom to make decisions that would benefit my store and increase sales. There are corporate guidelines to follow but out in the field you are given the opportunity to to do what you feel is best for the business, which made me feel like I was the owner of my store. The expectations put on managers can be daunting, with long work weeks and sometimes little time for a personal life, but is rewarding in the end when you can put up great results and are given recognition for it.
Sales & Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), San Leandro, CAAugust 8, 2014
Fun place to work and get to sample chocolate everyday. The size of the company was smaller, so give a lot of chance to know or meet most of employees.
Fast paced fun place to work
General Manager (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAJuly 17, 2014
Pros: great benefits, vaccation builds up fast, solid bonus potential
Cons: opened every day in year
If you like fast paced environment, selling and serving premium product this is place for you. Company is growing super fast
Worst Experience of My Life
Soda Fountaineer / Cashier (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAJuly 14, 2014
Pros: absolutely none.
I don't even know where to begin. I have NEVER quit a job before no matter how stressful. This was a first. Having previous experience in bartending and food service, this job sounded like a fun opportunity and a perfect fit. I COULD NOT HAVE BEEN MORE WRONG. Management was completely unprofessional to the point where I felt like I was back in high school being bullied. We were constantly being yelled at, given passive aggressive attitude, and mocked behind our backs. They did not know how to make schedules - constantly being asked to come in later/earlier and then getting sent home after a couple hours because they couldn't figure out how to get customer in the middle of HOLLYWOOD BOULEVARD. It was nearly impossible to predict the number that would show up on our paychecks - and most of the time, we had to call out the management on neglecting to pay us overtime etc. The worst part was the these issues stemmed from CORPORATE who did absolutely nothing about the complaints. And this is only the tip of the iceberg.
Its a relief to read the other employee reviews from other locations with the exact same issues. After 6 months, I walked into work 10 minutes before my shift and quit, explaining that this job makes me a miserable and an angry person and I'm done with it. Didn't even give them two weeks notice because they didn't deserve the satisfaction. Five months later and I regularly run into my Ghirardelli coworkers who did not last much longer on the job after I began the domino effect. Pretty sure they have an ENTIRELY new staff from when I was working a few months ago. I walk by the store regularly and refuse to ever go back in or order anything from this disgusting and abusive company. EVER.
Awesome company to work for and the location is nice.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Miami Beach, FLJune 5, 2014
My day would include assisting customers with their purchases. I would also help on the fountain or help pre-pack chocolate bags for the sales floor. Management was great and my co-workers were also great. My schedule was never a problem. The hardest part of my job would be the constant standing in one spot but once you moved around you didn't have that issue anymore. The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting different people every day, which is something you would expect seeing that we were located on Lincoln road.
good
Greeting, cashier (Former Employee), Lathrop, caMay 27, 2014
I enjoyed the inter action with the guests. I liked most of my co workers.
Needs restructuring of middle management
Lower Management (Former Employee), Bay AreaApril 1, 2014
Pros: brand, amazing, and supportive, corporate office
Cons: favoritism, lack of recognition of hard work, area managers
I really wish I could have given a better review here. Most of the employees and upper management in Corporate Office are AMAZING. However, the area managers are some of the WORST people I have ever worked with. They have been known to lie about, and seek revenge on, those that stand up for what they believe in and want to deliver true results in the stores. There is enough favoritism and corropution in the middle management to make the mafia look like Disney. I miss the overall community that the rest of Ghirardelli offered, and I especially miss working with certain individuals. It is sad, really, as Ghirardelli has so much potential to be on the Fortune 500, but will never make the necessary changes in the corrupted middle management. Also sad as they lose results-driven and very passionate people all the time. I had many "moments of timeless pleasures", and had brought unexpectedly huge results, but my best memory...? Leaving on my last day, with my head held up high, knowing how successful I was (and had the numbers to prove it), and also knowing that they did not deserve me.
Hard work but fun.
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Orlando, FLFebruary 17, 2014
I worked at their downtown Disney location. Always had fun working there. You had to work fast or you would fall behind. The company treated their employees well.
Terrible Management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAFebruary 6, 2014
There's a reason why this place burns through managers month after month. The GM is a glorified secretary and the the area manager has unreal expectations of day to day work. Do some research before you work there.

1 2 3

About Ghirardelli Chocolate Company

The Ghirardelli Chocolate Company is a manufacturer and marketer of premium chocolate products. Incorporated in 1852, Ghirardelli – Read more

Ghirardelli Chocolate Company Salaries