Giant Eagle, Inc. Employee Reviews

Found 1,436 reviews matching the search
Low to average pay for a physically demanding and busy job
Stockperson (Former Employee) –  Gibsonia, PAJanuary 18, 2017
A typical work day began by locating stocked carts and moving them out to the areas that needed to be stocked. After all products were stocked, the next task with to engage in product "facing" work. I.e., straightening stock on shelves, ensuring the product's brand and name were easily visible to the consumer. Throughout both of these time consuming activities, you might receive regular interruptions from customers looking for certain products. So you would have to stop working and tell or show them where those items were located.

I learned how to budget my time. I.e., organizing like or closely shelved products together; stocking misplaced items in areas where I was ask to help a customer find some product. Inevitably, there would be some product misplaced on my cart that needed to go several aisles away from were I was first stocking.

The management was fairly good. There were several managers and they all worked hard, sometimes doing the tasks of others. They were easy to approach with questions and would fairly compliment our work on occasion.

My coworkers were fine. Some were more hard working than others, but all were pleasant and I enjoyed working with them.

The most difficult part of the job was when you were pressed for time to get the products on the shelves due to a late shipment, or short staff. It was also a bit frustrating that the work could be "back breaking," and yearly raises were very meager, while other stores pay significantly higher hourly wages for the same type of work.

The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the customers.
  more... I.e., recommending products based on their needs and helping them locate the products as simply as possible.  less
Pros
They are almost always hiring.
Cons
Low hourly wages
Average
Meat/Seafood market manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 18, 2017
I have nothing bad to say about Giant Eagle. Average typical day , always low on help,most experience I received came from past companies.Most management is very raw and weak. Have some very good talented team members.Hardest part of job is doing something with nothing hard to complete job when you are understaffed .Most important part is the happy customers and developing the team members to their top potential .
Pros
Cons
Advacement
Friendly work environments
Sales Clerk at Deli department (Current Employee) –  Westerville, OHJanuary 18, 2017
Customer services, cleaning equipment and tools.
part time position, mostly evening hours. I can set how many hours I want to work but this job is really physically demanding.
Fun workplace
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 17, 2017
Over my time at this job, I was able to complete tasks efficiently and in a timely manner. I've also made multiple positive relationships with co-workers. However, the managing staff did not show much interest in making sure a reasonable amount of employees were on the clock at one time. As a result, a large portion of work was often distributed between few employees at any one time.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Short breaks, short staffing
Collaborative working environment
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 16, 2017
The most enjoyable part of my job was the wonderful dedicated co-workers. The most challenging part of working at Giant Eagle was the favoritism and long work hours.
Pros
401K match, weekly pay period
Cons
Work life balance, career advancement opportunties, politics
pharmacy
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Uniontown, PAJanuary 16, 2017
the work itself isn't bad, its the customers that make the job hard. you have to bite your tongue a lot and be nice no matter what, whether your right or wrong. They teach you and help you with whatever you need, but there isn't really advancement opportunities.
Pros
fun
Cons
no advencement
Its a grocery store
Maintenance Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 16, 2017
Cleaned the restrooms at beginning and end of shift while also making sure the storefront was clean. Occasionally bagged groceries when store was busy.
Gian Eagle
Eagle's Nest Attendant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDJanuary 16, 2017
This is a Great company. it is filled with a good staff. it is a nice place to shop and also to work. Flexible hours and work time given for employees.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
healthcare
Tough
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 14, 2017
It was very tough had times. But you had to do what you were , I thought times I was gonna leave . It really thought me things. I was with the company for 5 years , So learned any almost all the different areas of the store inside and out.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Shorts breas
Terrible place
Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  PittsburghJanuary 14, 2017
Terrible place to be a part of. Lack of hours & usually fluctuates every week. Bad benefits, the pay is terrible. Management is horrible. Employees around can be rude sometimes.
Company's main interest is in making money, no consideration for employees
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Elyria, OHJanuary 13, 2017
Company cuts hours, expects one employee to do work of three employees. Never recognized for job well done. Lose one or more benefits each contract yr
Pros
decent benefits, what's left of them
Cons
too many hours on feet
Its a Good Enivorment
Bagger (Former Employee) –  White Oak, PAJanuary 12, 2017
Giant Eagle Is a good place and good environment to work for.
All the employees are friendly and kind. They support you and do there best to help you.
Pros
Friendly Co Workers. Discounts.
Cons
Not enough hours
Not good
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Broadview Heights, OHJanuary 12, 2017
You never know when you will work. Cannot plan something important in your personal life and expect to get the day off. They try to keep you on Part time as long as possible so they wont have to pay benefits. Customers can be VERY rude. But you may find a nice co worker.
Once Great, In Decline
Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 11, 2017
It is a company where you are constantly concerned about your job security. The environment is nearly unbearable unless you have an office. Perhaps the worst aspect of working for Giant Eagle is the nepotism. I know of people in high positions which were hired on golf courses through their parents, family members are quickly promoted and in some cases completely unqualified. There is no goal or plan in place for the future. They currently reduced their budget (of which I have never heard) by 75% to make things more "realistic." The CEO is out of touch on many levels. The overall talent is lacking. Hiring too many millennials who only check their smart phones and talk. Absolutely no faith in administration.
Pros
Decent Benefits & Bonus Structure
Cons
Corporate Environment, NEPOTISM on a grand scale
Semi-productive work environment with poor management
Bakery Sales Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Wexford, PAJanuary 11, 2017
Very reasonable hours with ample vacation time accommodation. Management was unwilling to assist employees under them when needed. Hardest part of job was working alongside employees who put forth very little effort and management who couldn't care less. Most enjoyable part of job was that
Pros
Adequate time off
Cons
Poor management
Declining work environment
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 10, 2017
The work environment and overall vibe at Giant Eagle has declined over the years with several layoffs.The workers are great and deserve better.
It's a fun place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Macedonia, OHJanuary 9, 2017
The management actually seems to care about the employees, and will do what they can to help. Whenever I need time for the family, there is never a problem.
Pros
Discounts on store products and benefits
Cons
Because of the union, Pay increases are not based on performance
It has easy acces but the climb is slow.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  North Royalton, OHJanuary 8, 2017
It is a union job. You have to be really dedicated with this job and the climb up is long. Pay could be sooooooo much better. People tend to use the job for extra cash which is sad because it has much better potential. Need to get rid of so much catering to everything the customer wants. Wastes a lot of money.
Pros
Easy to get
Cons
Bad pay, slow climb up the ladder
Good company to work for
Customer Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  Parma Heights, OHJanuary 8, 2017
It is a great place to work for. Managers are very and understanding. Co-workers are nice and caring. I love the customers and friends. The customers are so funny.
Pros
rasies
Cons
free gift cards
Fun place to work.
Health, Beauty, & Cosmetics Lead (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, OHJanuary 8, 2017
Customer Service is the number one priority. Great co-workers and management had an open door policy. Hardest part of the job was there was more work to be done and no overtime was approved.
Pros
Flexible Work Schedule

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Giant Eagle, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.