Giant Eagle, Inc. Employee Reviews

too political
Distribution Supervisor, OK Grocery Company (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 16, 2017
very poor upper management
said one thing did another
had to know someone to advance

money invested back into company
strong union
easy job for money
It was a good place to work
Giant Eagle Produce Dept. (Former Employee) –  Willoughby Hills, OHOctober 16, 2017
I enjoyed my time at the company. I had only left to move on to work inside my degree field. My typical day was filled with interacting with people that were shopping. In my typical work day I started at 3 a.m. and worked to 11 a.m.
Pros
Union coverage
Cons
Lack of overtime
Friendly work enviroment
Pharmacy Technician/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 15, 2017
While working at Giant Eagle the staff was always friendly & answering any questions or problems you may have. Working in the pharmacy I was always learning something new.
Your basic low paying job
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 14, 2017
nothing special about this company. Very low pay and it's actually below a lot of other companies. Understaffed and no room for advancement. Poor management staff at location
Pros
non
Cons
pay was low, no benefits
I loved it there
GROCERY CLERK (Former Employee) –  Wadsworth, OHOctober 14, 2017
typical work day was fun, it was never the same. Always doing something else. i learned how to talk to customers. Management was awesome most of the time, hardest part of my job was dealing with the rude costumers, but i also loved dealing with them. i made so many friends at giant Eagle, the customers when i see them out and about they always ask me why I'm not there anymore, ask me if i miss it? I miss the fast pace Giant Eagle
Horrible work environment
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHOctober 14, 2017
Working at a gas station isn't supposed to be glamorous, but it isn't supposed to be degrading. Management constantly belittled and changed schedules out of spite. it was extremely unprofessional.
Care less about employees
Gourmet Chef/ Sushi Chef/Seafood & Bakery Lead (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 13, 2017
They don't care about employees anymore. Poor pay, lack of workers, lack of training. Managers never seemed to give enough for employees to stay. Overall worked way too hard for my amount of pay. I made less as a manager than I did as a gourmet chef.
Pros
Guarenteed breaks and lunches
food prep
Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Willoughby, OHOctober 13, 2017
Good fast pace enviroment, help issues at times. They were always flexable in scheduling. Other employees good to work wiyh. busy store, did lots of chicken, put stock away, rotated stock.
Pros
discounts pay insurance
Giant Eagle is going down hill and they don't care
Clerk/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 13, 2017
This company is slowly going down hill. Moral is at an all time low. Managers are stressed out and working longer hours and days. The store won't hire more people. They keep saying no one is applying. The rumor going around is Giant Eagle will be going out of business within the next 2 yrs.. A once proud company is no more
Cons
bad moral, low pay, understaffed
Needs better management and a better pay scale
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 12, 2017
Very understaffed store. They apparently do that to keep labor dollars low. Starting pay was only a few cents above minimum wage. Employees only get around 23 hrs a week.

Poor management. The only time you would see them is when they yelled at employees. Most of the other employees seemed to be miserable and unhappy that the work at Giant Eagle
Pros
paid weekly (Small check) for the work
Cons
low pay, low hours and horrible management
Nice place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAOctober 12, 2017
I enjoyed working at Giant Eagle, Inc. because the customers were extremely nice. You would get your repeat customers that cme in every day for something and always go through your line and chat.
Pros
Nice group of people
Cons
No set schedule
High paced work enviroment with constant customer interface
Senior Manager/Leader (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 11, 2017
Constant customer interaction
Team building
Mentoring team members daily
Daily, weekly, and seasonal merchandising
Financial accountability

I enjoy the daily demands in delivering great customer service to my guests by having the product they need, the quality they come to expect, and the speed and service to be the best in our industry.

It can be difficult due to all the intense competition to gain customer loyalty. It is also difficult when we are perceived as a high priced grocery chain, and for that people expect your best everyday!
Pros
Good own brands discounts on food
Cons
Long hours and overall difficult work schedule
It's the luck of the draw and about your perspective
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAOctober 11, 2017
The management is overall very good. Of course there have been exceptions, but Giant Eagle teaches people how to be effective managers, but could focus a bit more on people skills. On a typical work day you know the daily tasks you must complete and those are usually fine. There is an emphasis on teamwork and being a part of a team. The hardest part of the job is handling customers. Most of the time it's fine, ,but there are always a few that will give you trouble and usually this is the most stressful thing. Just like with customers coworkers are the luck of the draw. Some are great and buy in to the team mentality while others can be lazy or rude, etc. At the end of the day its all about perspective you have to believe what you're doing is important and push yourself to make a customers day. To me if I can make a customer happy I've done my job well and can feel good about it I'd say this is the most rewarding/enjoyable part of the job. The company also sometimes provides samples and/or food for holidays or when new products are available and provide many resources. It's a good first job or for something part-time, but working full-time hours can get to be rather exhausting.
Pros
holiday meals
Cons
some employees
Good temporary job.
Pharmaceutical Technician (Former Employee) –  Warren, OHOctober 10, 2017
Company didn’t take care of long term employees. Benefits were good. Managers weren’t all friendly. They did work around my schedule requests fairly. Too much favoritism.
fun workplace
Assistant manager in produce (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 10, 2017
Giant Eagle had great management and team members. A relaxed workplace. Great pay and benefits. Most enjoyable part was growing as a team and getting to know everyone.
Not the Best for Students
Overnight Stocker (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 10, 2017
Being an employee of Giant Eagle since High School has shown me that I wouldn't want to make a career or anything long term out of it. Although I have been there for almost 6 years now; meeting great people, built good relationships, I still feel as if the job would hold you back if you're truly wanting to advance. Some of the things they do to deter you from advancing is very discouraging, and no matter the amount of years you have worked hard for them, they will still let you go without empathy. Also one of my main issues with the job was how inconsistent the hours would be from week to week. One week you may be working 40 hours then the next you may only have 16. That isn't beneficial to someone who is young, trying to save money, as well as be independent enough to handle their own load of bills. If a young adult can barely survive off of this system then I'm sure an adult with growing children couldn't either. If you want consistent hours, you have to work Full-Time, and once you do that you are basically bonded to that agreement, rewarding you with off days that clash with your availability.
You can't make a living off of this paycheck
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAOctober 10, 2017
Very low pay, Always understaffed, Only received 22Hrs a week. Very immature co-workers. Mangers don't interact with workers. No perks from company to work there
Pros
n/a
Cons
very low wage, low hours
High school/ College Job
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ravenna, OHOctober 9, 2017
I worked at Giant Eagle for over 8 years, through high school and college. The pay is very low, and the raises don't amount to much. In 8 years, I went from minimum of $7 something to $10.85 when I left. There isn't much room for advancement, unless you want management. Hours are pretty flexible, but weekends are usually required. This particular store has a terrible working environment for the employees. It never felt as if many managers cared about those under them- they were only interested in cutting hours and working less people harder.
A typical day at work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Rochester, PAOctober 8, 2017
Clock in,get on a selected register,check-out customers CONSTANTLY,receive two fifteen minute breaks during the day and clock-out. The only rewarding part of this job is the customer service.
Pros
My co-workers are all friendly and a 10% discount on Giant Eagle products.
Cons
Overworked and underpaid, not allowed to have anything to drink until break.
It is a good place to work will many challenges.
Team Leader/Manager/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 7, 2017
This is a great place to begin your career and remain with the
company your entire career.
There is a commitment of responsibility and expectations of availability beyond the store location and hours.
Pros
Benefits are thorough and generous
Cons
Turnover

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Giant Eagle, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.