Giant Food Employee Reviews

Found 1,233 reviews matching the search
It is a learning experiance. I deal with all types of personallities
Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Baltimore County, MDDecember 7, 2016
Over all the company is a great compacompalthats values it's employees.other then the revolving door at the top management position. It's a great place for advancement
Pros
Benefits, are great
Cons
Having to deal with new manager, I've been through 3 store managers, since martch
Good Expierence
PM Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Horsham, PADecember 7, 2016
I really enjoyed working and mentoring with a diverse group of coworkers. Each individual is unique and the different approaches to solving problems is very enjoyable.
Pros
good compensation
Great customer service experience
Cashier/ Gas Attendant (Current Employee) –  McConnellsburg, PADecember 5, 2016
I would have to say a typical day at work would be dealing one with each customer providing remarkable customer service. Handling money and doing the daily balance sheet and cash drop sheet.

From this job I have learned a great deal of customer service and provide excellent customer service.

Overall management is okay but I have been with the company almost 4 years now and only making .80 cents more then the people that just started.

Working at giant I have befriended many co-workers and talk to many others. I love getting to know all the new coworkers as well.

The best part of my job I would have to say is working with the customers one on one.

Then I would have to say the worst part of my job is when I get an angry customer and they want to take it out on me. Although they are angry I stay calm and handle it calmly and rationally.
Pros
Customer relations/ experience
Cons
Part time
I really enjoyed working here
STOCK/CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VADecember 3, 2016
I would great customers while entering/exiting the store. I was also responsible for making sure items were available to customers throughout my shift.
Pros
building a bond with the customers that come in regularly
busy
Hbc Lead (Current Employee) –  Plumsteadvlle, PADecember 3, 2016
Always have to be on top of things, Merchandising is the fun part . A lot of keeping up with the holidays and department. Keeping your customers happy and making it a great shopping experience
Interesting, not great for a career.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Bloomsburg, PADecember 1, 2016
Giant is okay to work for if you don't have a lot of responsibility in the company. The second you have responsibilities, it goes haywire. I don't recommend for people who are hoping to get more than 20 hours of scheduled time in a work week. The only positive I can think of is that the minimum wage for the company is $9 an hour. The management doesn't care about anything but getting bonuses for themselves by cutting hours of associates and then complaining about not having enough help. It's okay for an after school job or something like a part time, second job.
Pros
$9 an hour minimum wage
Cons
No guaranteed hours, crazy schedules as they change weekly.
Good Company to work for.
Assist fellow asset protectors (Former Employee) –  Cheverly, MDNovember 30, 2016
A typical day at work consist of monitoring the store for internal and external theft, I learned how to calm hostile situations. Management was supportive and easy to work with. My Co-workers are trustworthy. The hardest part of my job was working a different schedule and time weekly. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing I was help stopping theft.
Can be an interesting place to work
Assistant Floral Manager (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PANovember 30, 2016
Can be a nice place to work if you are not seeking management. Growth is slow moving. I enjoy the team I have built. There are a few bad apples in the management bunch, but there are some good ones too!
Pros
Your able to build nice relationships with the customers
Cons
inconsistant hours, slow moving company
Fun and sociable
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 30, 2016
On my feet all day. I was a very well helped cashier. Assisting out customers with their check out as well as pointing customers in the direction of where their foods were located.
Nice Employees
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Willow Grove, PANovember 28, 2016
Good as a first job during high school or college. People from all walks of life work here. It was a very nice experience as a first job. No complaints.
Pros
good breaks
Cons
so many authorizations
very fun place to work very local
Curtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oxon Hill, MDNovember 28, 2016
I love my co-workers and I love the work enviorment. It is in a shopping center so its helpful for u if u gotta pick somethine up befor u get off.
ok place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burtonsville, MDNovember 28, 2016
it is way to busy. 11 dollars of pay check goes to the union. they pay only be the minimum wage. they are very busy everyday and you ask certain days where you do not want to work.
Pros
very flexabile
Cons
less pay
Overall great company to work for.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cressona, PANovember 27, 2016
I typically enjoyed my job. I liked working with the people/customers. I gained more problem solving skill working with the public.
Pros
Set Schedules
Cons
short breaks
Fun workplace
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Norristown, PANovember 27, 2016
Had to come in and restock my Isles my manager was a good person and my coworkers was nice to work with the most enjoyable part of the job was me getting to work by myself
employment less than average.
Stocker/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VANovember 26, 2016
staff, especially the union, treat one another and customers very poorly.

stockers are the worst.

i've seen two, so far, pick out certain regular customers and note that they're "going to make life hard" for them.

i am not sure what this means.

one doesn't like the way one customer looks. i think the customer suffers blindness and has difficulty shopping. a few have remarked about this person and one claims that they rather the customer shop elsewhere.

concerning, i have mentioned this to my superiors but somehow something must happen and the customer must complain first?

many take too many cigarette breaks and quite a few lift stock for their own use.
Pros
i enjoy where i work
Cons
some of the staff should keep their grievances away from the work place
Satisfactory first employment job
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Beltsville, MDNovember 23, 2016
Management positions and service clerk positions are easy to obtain as well as training for such positions. Relationships with customers bloom as well as work relationships with co-workers and management.
Benefits
Cons
Amount of time given for breaks
Productive environment. Easy
Lot Attendant (Former Employee) –  Gambrills, MDNovember 23, 2016
A typical day at Giant starts with clocking in and getting your water you may need for going outside on hot days.
Things I learned while being a lot attendant is to always ask others if help is needed. Even if it doesn't seem necessary, it doesn't hurt to ask.
My co-workers were very respectful and would always look out for me if anything was needed.
The hardest part of the job is usually on weekends as most shopping is done then.
Expect a lot more carts to be present if working on the weekend.
The most enjoyable part of working while being a lot attendant is seeing the happy customers that always greet you.
Pros
Sometimes free food in break room, flexible schedule
Cons
Finishing the lot early toward clock out time having nothing to do
productive work plave
Front End Supervisor (Checkout-Coach) (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PANovember 22, 2016
I love working here I love the people i work with. its a great company with great benefits for families. Its jus all around a great work environment i enjoy going into work knowing that i wlllm learn something new everyday
Very little opportunity for career development/advancement
Staff Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Pottstown, PANovember 22, 2016
Giant prefers to promote their floating pharmacists to managerial or supervisory positions. In the 8+ years that I worked for the company despite more than 25 available pharmacy manager/regional pharmacy manager positions, only 3 staff pharmacists were promoted.
great environment and fun people
Customer Service Clerk/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Oxon Hill, MDNovember 21, 2016
hot days or cold days during construction was very challenging. it had its ups and downs.
working for apogee retail was cool and laid back. collecting donations throughout the day and taking to an unloading spot.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Giant Food. Our community is ready to answer.