Giant Food Employee Reviews

Fast pace, good energy, hard working
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Havertown, PAOctober 23, 2017
Overnight stockers break pallets down bought in from truck and work on assigned alise until morning,once alise is done, you place ice In freezer, clean up any left over mess then go home
Pros
Overnight, time goes fast
Cons
Short breaks, racing to finish before assigned time to leave
productive
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, PAOctober 22, 2017
was a lot of fun
enjoyed most of the people there
fast pace
the hardest part of the job was putting the chicken away when it was most older people there
Pros
great people
Cons
could use more discounts for employees
Only offered part time help
Front End Cashier (Former Employee) –  Limerick, PAOctober 22, 2017
they only offer part time hours. You are only offered health care after being there for a year. You do not get your breaks on time and have to stay until someone else comes in to there shift. No matter even if you need to leave for an appointment or if your shift is over.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
no consideration for how you work or being deicated.
Worst Place to work at
Grocery Cashier (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAOctober 20, 2017
The boss was very rude. the managers were uncomfortable and touchy. I shouldnt have work there and the management is absolutely terrible. i would not work at giant food in fox mill shopping center
Pros
Cons
everything
Customer Service Representative/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Phoenixville, PAOctober 19, 2017
You are granted to b able to move up within the company as long as you are able to train and be able to push yourself to strive for better. You have to be 100% into your job to enjoy it.
Good for some extra money on the side and that's it.
Stocker/Sales Associate, Health & Beauty Care (Former Employee) –  Ellicott City, MD 21043October 19, 2017
Do you want to put up with horrible hours? No career advancement? Power-hungry bosses? Zero for benefits? A union who is about as interested in you as they are in watching the paint dry? Terrible customers? Theft problems, and that's an understatement?

Then you might like a job at Giant Food.
Pros
What pros?
Cons
There's more career advancement in mowing lawns
Fast paced environment.
Bakery Associate (Current Employee) –  New Cumberland, PAOctober 18, 2017
Overall good company, but has not room for me to advance. Could give their employees a discount and more benefits. Should not make college students come back every 30 days.
worked pt with very little fun
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDOctober 18, 2017
pt hours at night because of a full time job already, pretty much set hours, so a great cast of coworkers who were newer, some senior and some pt .and ft , it didn't matter we all got along and helped each other with grocery lines and finding products for our customers.
Pros
lunches free for meetings, pleasant music to listen while working
Cons
union made it difficult to continue there, I didnt want to leave
Place to work a good part time job
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  PAOctober 18, 2017
Giant hires frequently, there seems to be room to grow and achieve ipward mobility i the company as a whole. A good place to start work. Pay needs to increase and better hezlth insurance would be a good thing for giant to work towards.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Not enough hours or pay
A busy food store
I. Cashier (Former Employee) –  Thorndale, PAOctober 17, 2017
Checking customers out and making sure they have found everything that is needed, keeping area clean and safe. I Personally did not like working at Giant but it was good for a first job in high school. It's a very busy sometimes hectic work environment as a cashier, management can sometimes forget about things or something was going wrong. I learned a good amount working at giant, helped me with my people skills and how to write a check.
Good First Job
Cashier/Front end Lead (Former Employee) –  Halifax, PAOctober 12, 2017
Short hours, and a good place for someone younger like I was to practice and develop working/ customer service skills for your future. There was a lot of good managers for the most part.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Low pay, no benefits, rarely able to be FT.
Steady but lack of hours
MEAT AND SEAFOOD ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Germantown, MD 20874October 11, 2017
It is a great place to work but your hours vary so much that you cannot possibly plan anything financial in life. I also learned that working in constant freezer temperatures are not for someone who gets sick easily.
Pros
Hours vary
Cons
Hours vary
good place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Temple, PAOctober 10, 2017
Giant is a pretty good place to work overall depending on which department you are in. Front end is very high paced and can be very stressful if busy and same for the rest but some of the people could have better attitudes.
fun exciting great wonderful
Produce Associate (Former Employee) –  Lionville, PAOctober 9, 2017
Working at giant was n gret experience for me i made alot of friends and learned som great skills. i dont hav one complaint about giant. the only thing that would make he job not ggood would be manaement, which is different from store to store. as long as you come and doyour job everything wiill be great
The store culture favors staff who have worked for Giant for long time
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Severna Park, MDOctober 9, 2017
Managers play favorites, and could not guarantee hours per week. Union membership was mandatory, but the union didn't really take care of part-time employees.
Pros
Friendly customers
Cons
Unpredictable hours
Enjoyed the coworkers
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Warner Robins, GAOctober 8, 2017
Working there was slow paced. I learned the numbers on fruit and vegetables so I can scan groceries much quicker. Management was rude so that was the hardest part for working there. I enjoyed my coworkers.
Friendly work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bensalem, PA 19020October 6, 2017
While working at Giant, I made a lot of friends that I still keep intouch with even after finding a new job. My coworkers were always the best part of going to work, managers included
Busy
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  West Lawn, PAOctober 5, 2017
Working for Giant was very busy work. You were constantly moving especially around the holidays. The customers were hit or miss, some were very nice others were very nasty.
I worked at two different locations and the management greatly differed from either store. One store was nice the other was absolutely terrible.
All in all it wasn't a bad experience.
Pros
you stayed busy so your day passed quickly
Cons
full time positions are very hard to come by, no holidays or weekends off, you need patience when dealing with the customers
Easy First Job
Flourtown, PA - Cashier (Former Employee) –  Royersford, PAOctober 5, 2017
Giant was my first job. It was very simple cashier gig, but I noticed managers could be mean and careless. They would get angry over small things, such as calling out once or twice and they would randomly cut hours. It was a fun place to work, I loved my employees, but there were a lot of issues with management. They would threaten to make you a janitor if your scanning time wasn't a certain number, and they often would forget to give breaks or schedule somebody to come in at the end of your shift. One of the floor managers wouldn't let me leave at the end of my shift, it was late and my mother was my only ride and I was still in school. He made her wait almost a half hour for me, which was illegal at the time because they have policies against that set up from someone who is under 18. Other than that, it is a great place to work. Not all locations are the same, other stores might be better!
Pros
Long breaks, fun environment
Cons
poor management
Very productive and a fun place to work
Seafood Clerk (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAOctober 4, 2017
A typical day for me was to keep up with the log sheets daily,cleaness,helping out customers,the customers are always right,customer service is a must.The hardest part of the job was cleaning out the drains but eventually i got accustomed.The most enjoyable part was greeting customers on a daily basis.
Pros
Bring your own lunch or buy something from the store to eat
Cons
Short breaks healthcare