Gibbs & Cox Employee Reviews

Na
Electrical CAD/Designer-Senior (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAFebruary 22, 2017
The job was very intense hard to do and very unpredictable. They showed a lot of favoritism two others in the workforce. The quality of work was pretty good however it was considered working at a sweatshop
Extremely Conservative with an emphasis on government bureaucracy
Senior Principal Naval Architect (Former Employee) –  Crystal City, VAMay 18, 2016
Management in this company lacks the ability to mentor or assign work. A typical day would revolve around soliciting sufficient work to maintain billable hours to project without the use of overhead cost. Senior staff was expected to mentor and provide guidance to the junior staff that was primaraly made up of college graduates with little or no experience. Most co workers were very supportive of each other to maintain a confident flow of product.
As I was on the road or working from home my interaction with the company was very limited and they did not bother to keep me appraised of the developments that were occurring within the company. (An attitude of out of site out of mind which prevailed for numerous employees) The most enjoyable part of the job was the iteraction with my fellow employees and the clients I served.
Pros
Indenpence to work from home.
Cons
Lack of leadership in all aspect from the COE to my manager
Work load not too excessive
Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 9, 2016
All around bad for entry level, due to no training, management provides zero support what so ever. Very difficult to achieve personal growth goals with no structure internally.
Cons
Petty Coworkers, management, no training, little growth
Excellent
Intern (Former Employee) –  VirginiaFebruary 28, 2016
Good Company. Strong company that only does what it is good at. Great work atmosphere and wonderful culture. Excellent choice for ship designing needs.
Multi Task
Cost Accountant / Estimator / Account Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 8, 2016
Marine Architect & Naval Engineering Firm

Worked my way up from assistant to Cost Accountant/Estimator/Account Manager

Responsible for Proposals, Proposal submission, Contracts, reports to upper management
Pros
Cons
Compenstion for work I was performing.
Great long term company
Employee (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAOctober 24, 2014
This is an 85 year old firm and it acts like one in many respects. The management is solid, not forward thinking so there is no 5 year plan, but they are good people. They keep their word and have a sense of integrity and dignity. The only big problem is that the margins are low below 7 percent and the business is inconsistent as it is mostly (not all) defense and government related. If they get over 300-400 employees and have a ton more contracts, I can see them leveling off a bit and doing more to keep people happy.

They offer a 3 percent contribution to your 401k regardless of your contribution, automatically you get it. Plus a 3 percent match on top of that.

The location is great in Arlington and the culture is stiff and lacking. Generally you work in your team Silo and those are your work friends and experience of the shop.

Only folks who love designing ships and working for the Navy should really join this company. They are passionate and amazing at that mission.

Lots of engineers know best thinking going on.
Good work place
Senior Designer (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAMay 26, 2013
Enjoyed working at Gibbs but they ran out of work. I used ship constructor for all 3-D modeling and drawing layouts.
Pros
great experiance
Cons
loss of work
Productive place I liked the environment
Senior Designer (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAAugust 15, 2012
I would like to work there again I like the fact that there was little to no micromanagement and I liked to learn new ideals on how to do design more efficiently.
Pros
i loved the fact that design and engineering worked closely together, and there wasn't much animosity between them, which i believe to be the main cause of the success of the project
Cons
the new electrical design manager had no experience in management, and ran the dept. as if he was still a contractor, causing huge budget issues that led to the layoff of 3/4 of the dept.
Review
Designer Draftsman (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 3, 2012
Gibbs & cox was one of the best engineering firms I've worked for in the late 80's it was a wonderfull experience.
Compensation is good despite the excellerated work schedule. Job security is not good but not bad either
SR Staff CAD Designer (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VAJune 19, 2012
A typical work day would include two meets, review of previsous day work to supply a status of work flow. Manage any previously discussed issues.
Pros
free lunches once a month. free coffee.
Cons
short breaks, no break room. notification of work over the week end comes on short notice.
learned a great deal with older engineering types
Senior Pipe and Machinery Staff Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bath, MEMay 25, 2012
overall good place to work, and i enjoyed there work ethic, and sound belief in doing the job right the first time
Pros
good technology etc.
Cons
to many last minute shift changes
Very productive setting.
Senior Structural Designer (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAApril 12, 2012
Gibbs and Cox was a friendly and productive environment. My job functions included reviewing changes to the Cad design and implementing it into the current drawings under new revisions. At times, due to the work load, I may have 3 or more projects going and all due at accelerated time frames to meet the clients deadline.
I enjoyed the work and keeping busy. Gibbs and Cox is highly recommended.
Pros
friendly staff and flexible hours.
Cons
long days to meet demanding deadlines.
Great company, excellent management
Analyst (Former Employee) –  New YorkFebruary 22, 2012
Great executive management, but poor communication between departments.