Gibson Guitar Employee Reviews

Take this as your warning
Machinist Operator (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNNovember 14, 2017
Almost 10 years of service and I can honestly say I wish I had a time machine so I could go back and not make this mistake again. It is definitely a job and not at all a career. There have been at least 3 layoffs since i have been employed and countless firings of General Managers and Plant Managers. Think of this company as your last resort.
Benefits
Cons
Everything Else
No advancement
Licensed forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 15, 2017
Same thing every day. No chance for advancement. No one knew what was going on day to day. But if they wanted you for over time they didn't mind requiring it with no notice. Too many legal problems.
Pros
If you like wood working
Cons
Childish management and employees
You will be miserable!!!
Production and other (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNOctober 14, 2014
I worked at the Memphis plant for a while. You will never know when you will have to work Saturday. Usually this is more often than not. They push numbers instead of quality hoping the end result will meet the bottom line numbers. The masses will come back time and again to buy these guitars because of the name on the headstock. I have deep inside 1st hand knowledge proving that these guitars are anything but quality. Glue joints that have no glue, super glue on top of wood glue when the first glue joint didn't hold, truss rods that aren't even close to centered down the neck, should I go on?? I personally saved this division a pocket full of money with major obstacles I showed them how to overcome, (which they hapi;y implemented) and I was never once rewarded, but on the contrary I was harassed by management and given an abundance of lip service, and unfortunately I cannot go into further detail at the moment.
If you need a job because you are hurting for money, than look to this place as a temp solution. Turn over is off the charts!!
Pros
Not Management
Color Prep
Sander (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 1, 2014
a typical day at Gibson is great you come in you get your schedule pill your guitars and begin sanding
Pros
free lunch sometime
Cons
not enough microwaves
Going "Postal"
Final Assembly Worker (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 23, 2014
Definitely the worst job I've ever had, anyone who ways anything else about this company is a corporate patsy paid to say good things about Henry J, the CEO. I worked there just over 3 years, and in that time no one got a raise, COL or otherwise, but the Mgmt always got a big fat bonus. In my last 2 years we worked all but a handful of Saturdays, and even a few Sundays. Most of us floor workers averaged 60 hrs or more per week, over 70 when we worked a Sunday. I very rarely had a day under 11 hours, with no consideration for my personal life, or my physical and mental well being. There was no option to work any less than the "mandatory overtime". Henry J. would do well to remember what this kind of treatment did to postal workers back in the 80's, and the body count that ensued (no, I am not exaggerating). I was personally nearing the psychological breaking point when I had to quit due to health issues resulting from the inhuman expectations and poor treatment every employee receives.

On top of that, everything everywhere in the company revolves around not making the CEO mad. I was told, verbatim, that "We need to REMOVE our thinking from reality", the implication being that the reality would upset the CEO, and that was not acceptable, therefore reality must not be true.

Benefits were ok, with average medical, below average dental and vision, and sort of an employee purchase program, although the average guitar might cost an employee $1500 at discount price, when it costs the company far less than half of that to produce said instrument.

The processes are extremely
  more... archaic, and most have not been updated to prevent employee injury, which is a regular occurence. Also, every position within the company pays in the bottom 10th percentile for that job description. Except, I assume, the CEO.

In all, this company is quite possibly the only place on US soil where you can experience similar working conditions to some Asian sweat shops (or "fine upstanding reputable businesses" as Henry J would call them).
Pros
Birthday cake every month, Christmas party
Cons
Everything else
Okay place to work unless you're at the corporate office
Hourly worker (Former Employee) –  Corp HQ - 309 Plus Park Blv, NashvilleJune 2, 2014
Gibson is a stressful place to work if you're at their corporate office. People are fired on an almost daily basis. They always have empty positions on the management and executive teams. Hourly workers are pressed to take on more and more work as their co-workers are fired. The employees at the corporate office haven't had raises, cost of living or otherwise, in over 3 years. No matching on the 401K or college tuition help even though the company is making plenty of money. The HR department is a joke. No diversity program. Workforce is 95% white between the ages of 30 and 45. Almost no older workers. Almost no African American workers.

If you really want to work for Gibson, go to work at one of the divisions. Don't work at the corporate headquarters.
Pros
It's cool to say you work for Gibson
Cons
Everything else
Line Operator (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 13, 2014
Awesome place to work great pay and Bennie's, job was over good as far as line work go's they took great care of you how ever the layoff's or cut backs keeps me from saying its the best place to work but they come darn close wish I could go back lots of time off good heath care great food as a bonus awesome Christmas bonus
Pros
Pay/Bennie's
Cons
Layoffs
General Labor
POLISHING MACHINE OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Nashville,TnJuly 25, 2013
I enjoyed working for Gibson, it was a new experience and a great opportunity for growth. I learned many life skills, such as life balance, commitment,and hard work. The best part of the job was been able to work with new equipment and different departments. The hardest part was getting use to the change, which I over came. I enjoyed co_workers as well as management it was a great environment.
Pros
communication between staff
Cons
lack of employees
Gibson Guitar
Inspector (Current Employee) –  Nashville, tnDecember 27, 2012
Great company to work for. Enjoy the company, and my work. The only disadvatage is that the company has very little advancement.
My Dream Job
Line Leader (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 26, 2012
Gibson was where I wanted to make my Career however due to some FMLA issues I was not able to stay. I would love the opportunity to come back to work for Gibson and finish my career there.

Want to know more about Gibson Guitar?

Ask a question

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gibson Guitar. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4