GiftCards.com Employee Reviews

Work here. You will love it.
SENIOR UX/UI DESIGNER (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 6, 2016
Very Awesome Place to work. Nice people, good management. I am very pleased to be apart of this company. You will not be disappointed.
Pros
Good People. Nice benefits
Terrible Management and Extremely High Turn Over Rate
IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 14, 2014
Most of the positive reviews about this company are being spoon-feed to potential candidates from management and are not honest reviews of this company.

If you want an honest review look at the negative ones, they are an accurate portrait of what you will be dealing with at this company. For smaller company the turn over rate is astronomical, and career longevity and advancement is non-existent.

At this company professionalism is nonexistent from the CEO to the Executives.
Pros
Free Beer Friday
Cons
Dictatorship management, Micromanagement, Revolving door of people, Unprofessional, Poor work environment and unhappy employees.
Making people smile
Prefer not to say (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 7, 2013
The hardest part of my job is the work load - seems it doesn't die down much. I have learned alot about leading and building business. People, Strategy and Execution. Getting the right people in the right seats - and trying to hire A players...mediocre people do not like higher performers, so challenge is to have more A players and to help the B's become A's (if thats possible). And enabling Communication at all levels to happen.
Pros
great benefits, involved in great product, teamwork
Cons
work load, thin profit margins
Redefining gift giving
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 7, 2013
An environment that fosters creativity, drive, and collaboration. Each day brings new opportunities and you have the extraordinary ability to alter course instantly to accomplish the goals at hand. When your redefining the space the challenge is there is no map. Your plotting your course and moving in that direction each hour of each day. Going where companies haven't gone before provides many lessons (good\bad).
Pros
Great team collaboration
Cons
No map
Great work environment and great leadership
Financial (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 7, 2013
GiftCards is a great place to work if you are innovative and like a fast paced environment. This company is always working on new products and services and this makes it an exciting place to work. The company supports a Team approach a solicits ideas and comments from all the employees. Communication is a big plus with the company and we have many business and product updates to keep everyone in the loop. Department meetings are very open and invite employees providing feedback that is taken seriously and even reviewed by the CEO and all the executives.

GREAT PLACE TO WORK....
Pros
Saleries, Benefits, PTO alll
Poor training & mgmt
Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh Pa.March 20, 2013
Horrible management. Changed sales approach of new product launch weekly. The sales Mgr. had no idea how to sell the product that was supposedly his idea. Started withe 48 new outside sales reps in Sept. 2012 with a 2 day training period. Were down to 7 by Jan. 2013. Sales Mgr. also cannot respond to in depth or troublesome questions in person. He had to think about it & email you his version of what he thought you should have asked. Product may work, but only with a new leader.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
everything else
Passionate and hardworking people, inspiring and fast-paced environment, caring and personable management
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 12, 2014
GiftCards.com is an exciting place to work. Co-workers are passionate and determined; management is approachable and vocal to all employees, practicing an overall transparency across the company.

The mission is to create happiness and smiles for customers and employees. As GiftCards.com is in it's early stages, the environment is fast-paced and demanding. This may create a lessened work-life balance for some, but in many ways, these team members have an unwavering devotion toward the company. Thus, they are willing to contribute off-hours.

Overall, GiftCards.com is a great place to work. I am blessed to be employed here and to work with such amazing team members.
If you want to be under the CEO thumb the entire time, then work here.
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 20, 2014
Management is a dictatorship. CEO is way to involved in every project. You will not have an opinion here. If you disagree with management you will loose every time. This is not a team environment. Constantly changing directions and coming up with new projects. GiftCards.com needs to go back to square one and focus on one product and do it really well. Right now they have way to many products and all of this are broken/not finished. They have changed so many benefits, and tell you so many lies to get you in the door. This place is not worth it, and never will be.
Pros
Beer Friday
Cons
Not treated like a professional, CEO is way to involved in every project, he should come up with an idea and let his professionals that he hired handle it.
Innovative, challenging and dynamic workplace
Technology (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 12, 2014
As a small company competing against much larger corporations, the day-to-day direction can shift rapidly and frequently. It comes with the territory when trying to gain more ground against massive competitors. If you can keep up with the dynamic pace, you'll find a challenging and rewarding workplace. While the internal advancement opportunities are few, the personal growth you'll experience is second to none -- you'll learn and do more here on a weekly basis than anywhere else. Most of the people are nice and hardworking.
Pros
Challenging and rewarding work, innovative company, charity donations, profit sharing, free breakfast
Cons
Understaffed in some key areas, poor on-boarding for new hires, policy changes and terrible handling of changes
Senior Developer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 13, 2014
Great teammates and really friendly environment. The executive staff isn't afraid to try new methods to benefit both the employees and the company.

We have an agile development environment that we're refining every week.
Pros
Encouraging environment and dedication to moving the infrastructure forward
Cons
Still lots of legacy code to maintain, though it's being phased out
Horribly Unstable
Prefer not to say (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 15, 2012
It was the worst environment I'd ever worked in. The management staff is so unstable, the company takes a different direction weekly, the employees are miserable. I hated it there. They forced us to take a survey and submit it to become one the "best places to work" in Pittsburgh, but it was a fallacy.
Pros
occasional free lunches
Cons
bad environment
Changing how Gift Cards works
Dedicated Employee (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 5, 2013
This company, like any company trying to change an industry, has great days and no so great days. But on average their are more great days than anything else!

Completely changing how Gift Cards work....breaking new ground.
Pros
Forward looking, Ground Breaking
Cons
Lots to do, not enough hours to do it all
Fast pace; rewarding, feeling of being part of something.
Creative Director (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 12, 2014
Definitely a high pace company with a feeling of accomplishment. Company is in full thrust forward mode and takes advantage of it's ability to change focus to forge ahead in the industry.

Constantly growing and expanding with new concepts and ways to better the companies position in the industry. I feel the next couple of years being the determining factor for successful or becoming a major player in the industry. Great management with a great focus.
I have had the pleasure of being part of this company through the lows and highs...
In my opinion GiftCards.com is in the best position to advance in the Gift Card industry during my tenure here and is poised to make a major move in the industry!
Pros
Profit Sharing, Charity Program, Company Sponsored Events, Friday Social Hour, Small Groups, Gym Membership.
Cons
Time lines and changing of focus. Although a necessity for a growing company it is a con
Great Place to Work
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 13, 2014
Just about every day that I come into the office, I feel like I'm the dumbest person here (but not in a bad way!) The people who work here are so talented and intelligent that I can literally learn something new from them each day. This has made me a better employee and more rounded individual.

The company consists of about 100 employees and despite any hierarchy that exists on paper, each employee is accessible and approachable (including directors and executives.) Once per week, "small group" meetings are conducted during which time employees can offer up recent "highs" "lows" and offer suggestions on how to improve the workplace. Beer Fridays happen each week and offer an opportunity for anyone inclined to socialize with coworkers in different departments.
Pros
Start-up feel, Accessible management and executives, Great benefits, Weekly "small group" meetings that act as an employee suggestion forum
Cons
Company direction can change quickly, Employees need to be flexible and manage expectations accordingly
High Stress with no reward
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh PAMarch 25, 2014
I advise steering far clear of this company. Despite how hard you work, this company thrives on making employees fear for their jobs. For example, there is extreme pressure from the CEO and executive team to work large amounts of overtime. To monitor this, you are required to fingerprint in and out of the building, and logs of your time are recorded and can be used against you in your reviews. Company priorities shift daily, and you can spend countless hours working on a project, only to have the CEO change the deliverables, wasting countless hours. This is due to the CEO insisting on being constantly involved in every project, but will frequently change things deep into development, causing major overhauls, regularly. In summary, this job comes with a high level of stress, but results in very little reward.

Also, the positive reviews on on this site are being requested of current employees by the CEO. Read both the positive and negative reviews, and decide for yourself which to believe.
Pros
Beer Friday
Cons
Constant micro-management, shifting company priorities, high turnover rate
Stimulating, high-growth environment driven by intelligence, integrity and drive.
Prefer not to say (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 9, 2013
Work includes a wide variety of activities across my field of responsibility, including venturing into new technologies and methodologies.
Constant learning from company CEO and peers within industry and various business disciplines.
Highly skilled and experienced management brings a lot to the table in execution and strategic direction.
A true team-work environment, without egos, everybody pushing towards the same shared vision. Dual top-bottom and bottom-up feedback allows all employees to provide valuable input and make a difference.
Hardest part of the job is the hours, requiring long hours and weekend work to support company's high growth, which is highly gratifying and professionally rewarding.
The best part of the job is working alongside a great team at all levels of the organization, sharing a vision, and accomplishing goals. A fun environment and highly gratifying.
Pros
Unusual and innovative benefits: profit sharing, unlimited time off, company contributes to employees' charities, etc.
Exciting Opportunities / Great Market
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 20, 2014
This is one of the best companies I've worked for, and I have been in the Fortune 100s as well as the small startups. The environment is faced pace and dynamic, but you get quite a bit more responsibility than you would in a bigger company where you would be silo'ed within your role.

One of the best attributes that this company attracts is the level of talent on the teams. We have a rigorous hiring cycle, which unfortunately does lead to longer hiring cycles, but the people that come out of this are at the top of their game.

Some of the negative comments posted about this company refer to switching directions too rapidly, but in my experience this is a strength with smaller company against some of their bigger competitors. It may be that the reasons for the switch in priorities may not always be communicated well, though I haven't seen this with my interactions.

If you're attracted to a dynamic, face-pace environment with good responsibilities and a management team that recognizes talent within the organization, then this is a great company to work for!
Pros
Beer Fridays, Quarterly Company Outings w/ Families, Donations To Your Charities
Love it here!
Product (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 31, 2014
Leaving my previous job of 8 years in a very large company was the best thing that I've ever done for myself. I can honestly say that I am, again, happy to come to work.

From my perspective, the environment is great; it fosters creativity, innovation, and camaraderie. Sure, directions change quickly but that's the beauty of a sharp, nimble company. They must be on the bleeding edge of their industry to stay relevant. To anyone who has worked in a large company that is slow to adopt technology, slow to implement new tools, and stifling with the paperwork and process, you will find this to be a refreshing change of pace.

I question the negative reviews reference scanning in/out daily. Every company that I've worked for has this in place for both security purposes and to support cases for those cheating the system. Not once has anyone asked me to work overtime or questioned my work habits, nor have I been concerned that they would.

I question the CEO's involvement in projects as a negative. Is that not the mark of a leader who cares to protect his investment? I don't recall many of my past leaders staying hands-off of my projects considering their motivations were driven by personal performance goals, promotions, and incentive programs. At least here, the motivation is driven by doing what he thinks is right for the company.

I am posting this not because I was asked, but because I wanted to tell another positive story. I am someone who has been successful in small, mid-size, and large Fortune 500 companies and I found exactly what I was looking for at
  more... GiftCards.com.  less
Pros
Company culture, innovation, excellent benefits, fast-paced, talented people, fun environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GiftCards.com. Our community is ready to answer.

GiftCards.com Reviews by Location