GiGi's Cupcakes Employee Reviews in United States

sucks you up and spits you out
Manager (Former Employee) –  Carrollwood, FLDecember 16, 2015
Cupcakes are fun but depending on the owner of the franchise it can become a drag.
there is no job security and a ton of gossip. no professionalism and absolutely no regard for your personal life. it is expected that you "EAT SLEEP AND BREATHE GIGIS" (laughable) You are not allowed to have a personal life at all if you are in management (so plan for that).
There is so much turn over (more than normal for the food industry) because the employee knows that now one cares about them.
Pros
free cupcake
Cons
No breaks, No healthcare, no time off accrued absolutely time off, no benefits (non, nada, zip, zero) Unless you call a free cupcake a benefits.
Disorganized Management
Cashier/ Decorator (Current Employee) –  Trussville, ALApril 30, 2016
I love working for GiGis but I can't stand the fact that our store runs out of things and are never supplied with the products we need to function as a great bakery. The management is responsible for placing orders and filling them and does not do a good job at it. The owners sold and didn't tell anyone until after the new owners took over which to me was unprofessional. I love my co workers they are like family and we stick together and support each other. The hardest part of the job is not knowing your schedule until the day before and not getting enough hours. Not getting any Saturdays off and having to work closing every time I work. I have 2 kids and it just isn't working. Enjoyable thing is seeing customers faces when they come in for the first time and see our beautiful cupcakes.
Pros
Co Workers
Cons
Scheduling
Great part-time job
Baker/Decorator (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCMarch 20, 2016
Great place to work part time. Loved the bakery experience, but there is little room for advancement. Good for after school job but not if you're looking for a career.
Pros
Free cupcakes
Cons
Not a career
terrible
CAKE DECORATOR (Former Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARMay 10, 2016
This was not a good place to work. The owners were nice and took care of their employees, but the manager was unqualified and bad at her job. She would be getting 60 plus hours a week an the rest of the employees would barely be getting 15-20.
fun and loved the work
Assistant Baker/Event Set (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 6, 2016
I loved working at GIGi's it was a wonderful place to learn a lot. I would make frostings, fillings, and decorate all cupcakes. The management had trouble with communication.
Corp Trainer (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNJanuary 19, 2016
I enjoyed working for Gigi's Franchising LLC. Traveling all the time is the only reason I left. Training owners and mangers to run a successful business was very rewarding. The hours were great but very long at times during new store openings.
Pros
people, growth
Cons
travel
funnest place I have ever worked
Cupcake decorator (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJanuary 20, 2016
Gigi's cupcakes was the best job I have ever had. I worked with wonderful people and worked in a very fun and friendly environment. Decorated cupcakes, made sure prep work was done, and helped customers.
Not for people who want an actual career in cupcake biz.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 30, 2015
Suzanne Rogers DOES NOT know how to run a business. She overscheduled people, underpaid the ones who deserved more and who had actual experience, and any left over cupcakes she'd give to her friends instead of donating them to local shelters or police stations. She'd donate every once in awhile to the local fire station, but only because her friend's husband works there. She also 'hand delivered' them, so who knows if they actually made it there. My job was awesome, I got to help people pick out cupcakes, give recommendations, and sometimes help decorate cupcakes. The hours were inconsistent, so it was super hard to go to school or plan personal events or outings because she'd change my hours every week, and my days off every week were always different. I'm honestly surprised this place hasn't closed yet.
Pros
free cupcakes, helping customers with flavors, working events
Cons
inconsistent hours, no work/life balance, unreliable team
It was a great environment and work schedule
Baker (Former Employee) –  Ahwatukee, AZDecember 2, 2015
It was a fun place to work, everyone made it feel like family. I also like how they trained you to succeed in the job. Also the cupcakes were pretty good on top of it.
Great co-worker camaraderie, vague ownership
Management/ Decorator (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJuly 2, 2012
Early morning productions, store opening, and front-end responsibilities. Became a more productive leader and learned to handle different responsibilities including people management.

Owner/management more concerned with revenue rather than working conditions. A lot of demand with very little compensation.

Tough working conditions left little to no motivation for employees. A lot of demands and not very well paid.

Fun to do. Working with the general public and repeat customers is nice. Building a reputation within the community.
Pros
small work force, semi-flexible hours.
Cons
no health benefits. hard labor working conditions with very little breaks.
Very productive work place
cashier (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLDecember 2, 2015
Supportive workplace , was flexible with my previous school schedule . Do your job and be reliable and keep a great greeting smile on your face.
Prepare to be overworked!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALFebruary 2, 2013
At first the job was fun - then the work week kicks in and the work/life balance goes out the window.

For being a franchise, it's ultimately about the bottom line between sales/labor ratio. To maintain this (to avoid higher taxes on the owners end) worked more than 65+ hours a week. When questioning the work, was told it's the "nature" of the food industry. Previously working in the food industry, managers always have 2 days off.

Oh and might I add - no benefits, no sick time.

Learned what NOT to seek for future jobs!
Pros
creativity, customers, it's a new fad!
Cons
no work/life balance; 10+ hours each day; money hungry owners.
Great learning experience
Manager/Decorator (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJuly 21, 2015
This job has taught me time management, attention to detail, great customer service skills, the importance of team work, and more. Gigi's Cupcakes is a good place to gain work experience.
Not horrible, not wonderful
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 21, 2015
Overall, there have been about 4 managers in the past year, which is frustrating because there isn't any sense of consistency. The current manager is nice, but expects a lot of you while she doesn't do much.
The compensation is nice for the work and the people that work there are very nice. There are a lot of physical demands and can be exhausting sometimes.
High School Job
customer service (Former Employee) –  Norcross, GAJanuary 24, 2015
I worked here when I was a Senior in high school. It was fun and good at the time. I got hired to do back of the house stuff but ended up only ever working front of the house and I was never told that it had been switched. I look back now and see that yes the cupcakes are very very good but the store was not ran well and needs a lot of improvements.
Pros
free cupcake
Cons
no breaks, lied to about everything, management was not good
Productive and fun loving place to work
Lead Cashier\ FOH & BOH (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 1, 2013
I enjoy working at Gigi's Cupcakes, it is a very family like atmosphere and they really value customer service. There's always new flavors and fun and exciting promotions going on, which I really like and enjoy. I get along fantastically with my coworkers, and even though sometimes there are differences between people, we always seem to work it out easily. Decorating and customer service are my favorite part of the job. It is a busy bakery, with work always to be done, but as long as you're motivated and on top of it, it is a really great place to work.
Pros
great working atmosphere, positive energy
Cons
few breaks
Good experience
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Blue Springs, MOJune 29, 2015
Not the most structured workplace. Very unorganized and inconsistent with hours. Might be just this location. Overall good experience.
Lots of responsibility
Keyholder/Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJune 20, 2014
Decorate cupcakes, help customers, clean the store, count the drawer and bank.

I learned how to decorate cupcakes and decorate for banquets and weddings.

The management was easy going

Co-workers were fun

Hardest part of the job was the continuous routine

Most enjoyable part was the free lunches on occasions.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
long, routine hours
The joys of working with cupcakes
Front Desk (Current Employee) –  Madison, ALDecember 17, 2013
Every day you come in and take your place at the front desk. You learn about all the different kinds of cupcakes, how its made, what icing it has, and the way it is decorated. The managers, store owners, give you a little bit of a detail of how things are going. But you have a crew leader, your manager, who is there with you 90% of the time. Everyone is very nice and easy to work with. The hardest part about the job is when it gets really busy and you run out of boxes, honestly that is the hardest thing because you have to take more time to make one by one for each customer. You also do not really get a break. You just sit down and eat, hopefully no one will come in so you can enjoy yourself for a minute. The most enjoyable part about the job is the people. Everyone is so nice and comforting.
Pros
nice people, free cupcake, 50% off discount
Cons
no breaks really, hours go down.
Fun
Servers (Former Employee) –  Manchester,TnFebruary 16, 2015
Working at Waffle House was such an amazing experience. I absolutely love customer service and waitressing. Waffle House has known too be one of the hardest waitressing jobs in the business, having to bust your own tables , take and call out your own orders, and still maintain great service and a smile. This was a life changing experience I loved and enjoyed very much, would do it all over again !