GILA RIVER INDIAN COMMUNITY Employee Reviews

You have to work there to understand
Archaeological Field Technician (Former Employee) –  Sacaton, AZAugust 11, 2017
See for yourself, and form your own opinion. Some hate it some love it. Great benefits. Lots of gossip around the office. Not a lot of opportunity for advancement so I left the community after a year.
The staff was unfriendly. I had limited amount of support from supervisor.
Family Counselor (Former Employee) –  Sacaton, AZAugust 3, 2017
A typical day was clocking in. On site if you needed assistance with clients your supervisor was not on site so you had to make your own judgement calls. Home aids were too busy to help. There was lack of tools to order for the counselor on site. No training was available. The most enjoyable part was seein the clients succeed in their milestones and development.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no place to eat at lunch community is too small. Daily drive from Phoenix was long.
Great Benefits
Database Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sacaton, AZJuly 7, 2017
Great Benefits and relaxed work environment. Limited growth within the company. Management Information Systems is large with multiple divisions, security, helpdesk, database, and a data team section,
An honor and privilege to work there
Interim Prog. Manager/Comm.Health Ed. Spclst (Former Employee) –  Laveen, AZJuly 6, 2017
Working for the Gila River Indian Community was a honor an a privilege. I gained a whole new perspective of life in general, while working there. As a Health Education Specialist, I was always in the field providing health outreach to the community and it gave me the opportunity to become enriched in the culture and the people. The Gila River Indian Community is an incredible tribal government to work for. They take care of their employees every step of the way. The Community, the people, the land; are all incredible reasons to work there, the benefits are just a bonus.
Pros
The culture, the people, benefits, ethics
Work environment was friendly
Contract Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sacaton, AZJune 20, 2017
During fixed assets season, entering 20-40 assets per day. Out of season, reviewing contracts, balancing accounts, doing schedules.

I learned the Munis software system, including GL, AP, Contracts, and Fixed Asset modules.

Management depended on position. Some were hands off, some were micro-managing.

Hardest part of the job, was if other people did not get their parts done on a project, you were still expected to make your deadlines.

Solving the puzzles of reconciliations.
Pros
Healthcare, Dental, 401K
Cons
Co-workers who did not take ownership
Head Start is very rewarding
Director of Head Start (Former Employee) –  Sacaton, AZMay 25, 2017
This is a very demanding job that is rewarding for the overall community, the children and the staff. The main roles are management, budgeting and grant compliance.
Very difficult place to work
Child Welfare Worker/CPS Investigator (Former Employee) –  Sacaton, AZMay 24, 2017
I enjoyed my job to a point, the people and families made it difficult to do what I had to do, and it was hard on my work life and personal life. Management was difficult to work with and the people did not seem happy.
Pros
pay
Cons
duties
The hardest part of the job
Detention Officer (Former Employee) –  Sacaton, AZMay 5, 2017
The hardest part of the job for me was having to transition from working with Adult inmates to Juvenile residents. It was becoming to demanding and was very stressful.
Pros
Great pay & benefits.
Cons
Working with violent Juvenile residents
Enjoyed my job
Accounts Payable Technician (Former Employee) –  Sacaton, AZMarch 13, 2017
A typical administrative/Secretary day. It was very hard to work with territorial people. The only thing I enjoyed was meeting new people. And making friends.
Pros
Traveling to other places for the job
Cons
Some people were not very nice
Department of rehab in supervision (corrections)
Detention officer (Former Employee) –  Sacaton, AZFebruary 21, 2017
The officers working the floor are good people and know what they are doing but the management will tell you to do something and if they were wrong on the way to do it you'll be the one in trouble and they are constantly watching you just to see if you mess up there's microphones and cameras in every single spot in the jail but the benefits pay and hours you work are awesome the management needs to be revamped and then it would be a great place to work
Pros
Pay benefits hours you work
Cons
Management favoritism
Gila is a good place to work, if the leadership likes you. Leadership is so unpredictable in thier goals and objectives AND they lack Vision.
HR (Former Employee) –  Sacaton, AZSeptember 24, 2016
Spend your career on making a difference as this job has no rewards.
The people you work with daily have real problems so be sensitive to their culture and respect those who need you.
Pros
Awesome People
Cons
No Vision
Poor training and communications.
Clinical Liaison/Substance Abuse Counselor (Former Employee) –  Sacaton, AZMarch 7, 2016
New management created too much tension and job insecurity. New director minimized communications with staff. The training was exceedingly poor and often childish.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
distance
Elderly Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sacaton, AZSeptember 22, 2015
My family is from this reservation, I am half blood from this community, I believe I have received much from the Community itself as to my role in their lives and the services provided, I believe that the Community provides well for those in need. I believe that more management is necessary for growth to the Community in future of the people.
benefits
Cons
management
Awesome place to work
Employee Benefits Representative (Current Employee) –  Sacaton, AZJuly 24, 2015
I enjoy working for the Gila River Indian Community. Meeting a well diverse group of people, internal and external. My Co-workers keep me going everyday.
Great Place
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Laveen, AZJuly 13, 2015
I work close with the Elders of the community. I would help them with HEAP and EDQLP paper work. I would transport them to different events. I would help plan their trips. I would answer the phone and keep track of folders, key log and mail log.
good place to learn
corrections (Current Employee) –  Sacaton, AZJuly 1, 2015
great pay for area and awesome benefits. Depending what area you get into you may have some chance of advancement. work in the prison and the inmates are a lot calmer, then at normal prisons and they have a smaller population,
great and fun place to work
Secretary II (Former Employee) –  Sacaton, AZJune 9, 2015
maintained great customer service, kept files confidential, made payments on gas cards, kept in constant contact with vendors for Gila River Indian Community
An excellent place to work at.
Domestic Violence Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sacaton, AZMay 27, 2015
A typical for me at work is helping clients who are in need of help. I have learned that it is rewarding when assisting other people. I appreciate the management Team who directs us to go in the direction we should go. My co-workers are team oriented and I am appreciative of them when help is needed and they step in. The hardest part of my job is leaving my work behind. The enjoyable part of my job is assisting people.
Many training opportunities and good people, but there is constantly new management.
Protective Services Worker (Current Employee) –  Sacaton, AZMay 18, 2015
There are plenty of great opportunities for wellness and eating. There is a lot of need for more qualified workers. I LOVE my job but honestly think that the winds of change could outsource and cut our careers short. It was hard to get hired. As with any job there is a fair amount of politics but there are several resources and opportunities to make the best of any situation.
Pros
Free trainings, extra holidays, travel, a cruiser, laptops, cell-phone, and benefits!
Cons
Don't expect to get those breaks if your on salary.
Nice place
Archaeology Technician II (Former Employee) –  below the surface of the earthMay 18, 2015
Exceptionally interesting work. Artifacts recovery for classification only. Preservation and investigation of historical civilization. Chronological and environmental notation give a great perspective on the obviously transient current society.
Pros
interesting