GILA RIVER INDIAN COMMUNITY Employee Reviews

Gila is a good place to work, if the leadership likes you. Leadership is so unpredictable in thier goals and objectives AND they lack Vision.
HR (Former Employee) –  Sacaton, AZSeptember 24, 2016
Spend your career on making a difference as this job has no rewards.
The people you work with daily have real problems so be sensitive to their culture and respect those who need you.
Pros
Awesome People
Cons
No Vision
Elderly Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sacaton, AZSeptember 22, 2015
My family is from this reservation, I am half blood from this community, I believe I have received much from the Community itself as to my role in their lives and the services provided, I believe that the Community provides well for those in need. I believe that more management is necessary for growth to the Community in future of the people.
benefits
Cons
management
Awesome place to work
Employee Benefits Representative (Current Employee) –  Sacaton, AZJuly 24, 2015
I enjoy working for the Gila River Indian Community. Meeting a well diverse group of people, internal and external. My Co-workers keep me going everyday.
Great Place
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Laveen, AZJuly 13, 2015
I work close with the Elders of the community. I would help them with HEAP and EDQLP paper work. I would transport them to different events. I would help plan their trips. I would answer the phone and keep track of folders, key log and mail log.
good place to learn
corrections (Current Employee) –  Sacaton, AZJuly 1, 2015
great pay for area and awesome benefits. Depending what area you get into you may have some chance of advancement. work in the prison and the inmates are a lot calmer, then at normal prisons and they have a smaller population,
great and fun place to work
Secretary II (Former Employee) –  Sacaton, AZJune 9, 2015
maintained great customer service, kept files confidential, made payments on gas cards, kept in constant contact with vendors for Gila River Indian Community
An excellent place to work at.
Domestic Violence Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sacaton, AZMay 27, 2015
A typical for me at work is helping clients who are in need of help. I have learned that it is rewarding when assisting other people. I appreciate the management Team who directs us to go in the direction we should go. My co-workers are team oriented and I am appreciative of them when help is needed and they step in. The hardest part of my job is leaving my work behind. The enjoyable part of my job is assisting people.
Many training opportunities and good people, but there is constantly new management.
Protective Services Worker (Current Employee) –  Sacaton, AZMay 18, 2015
There are plenty of great opportunities for wellness and eating. There is a lot of need for more qualified workers. I LOVE my job but honestly think that the winds of change could outsource and cut our careers short. It was hard to get hired. As with any job there is a fair amount of politics but there are several resources and opportunities to make the best of any situation.
Pros
Free trainings, extra holidays, travel, a cruiser, laptops, cell-phone, and benefits!
Cons
Don't expect to get those breaks if your on salary.
Nice place
Archaeology Technician II (Former Employee) –  below the surface of the earthMay 18, 2015
Exceptionally interesting work. Artifacts recovery for classification only. Preservation and investigation of historical civilization. Chronological and environmental notation give a great perspective on the obviously transient current society.
Pros
interesting
Archaeological physical work and mentally challenging!
Archaeological Field Technician I (Former Employee) –  Sacaton, ArizonaMay 12, 2015
I enjoyed the hard work ethic I learned with the Cultural Resource Management Program. It was fulfilling helping preserve historic and pre-historic artifacts.
Great Place to work.
911 Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Sacaton, AZAugust 22, 2014
Great place to work.Its hard working for a reservation where people are constantly judging you if your not a community member.
Pros
good pay
Cons
short breaks
Procurement Director
Procurement Director (Former Employee) –  Sacaton, AZJune 7, 2014
• Responsible for developing policies, procedures, and objectives for the Gila River Indian Community’s centralized purchasing function in accordance with federal, state, and tribal procurement guidelines; and is responsible for overseeing the administration, management, and operation of the Community’s purchasing, receiving, inventory, warehouse, printing, and postal service functions.
• Design, establish and maintain organizational structure and staffing to effectively accomplish the Community’s goals and objectives.
• Recruit, train, supervise, and evaluate department staff.

• Establish and implement short and long term organizational goals, objectives, processes, and operating procedures; monitor and evaluate operational effectiveness; effect changes required for continuous improvement.

• Oversee the overall operations of centralized procurement activity, including purchasing, receiving, inventory, warehousing, printing and postal services.
Cons
Extremely long commute
good work
Recreation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Coolidge, AZMarch 20, 2014
great place to work.
learned great customer service skills
management needs improvement
helpful co-workers
the long hours worked
working with good people.
Pros
working with good co-workers
Cons
long working hours in recreation department.
Productive and fun place to work at
Court Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sacaton, AZFebruary 6, 2014
This place was very fun and from the start it seemed hard. Along the line I get use to working under pressure with different types of court cases and also creating court related forms and entering data into their court related software for each case, open of closed.
Pros
Holiday and birthday luncheons
Cons
Time punching in and out was always a factor
Training Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sacaton, AZFebruary 4, 2014
Very friendly atmosphere, great opportunities, great benefits.
good job good people to work with
Youth Development Specialist II (Former Employee) –  sacaton , azJanuary 5, 2014
worked in a diverse environment many ideas worked in helping and nurturing children who have been separated from their families.
Pros
working 8 hrs a day
Cons
working shift works graveyards
Dynamic working environment
Senior Gaming Internal Auditor (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZOctober 21, 2013
We conduct over 50 compliance audits per year to ensure we comply with our Tribal minimum internal control standards and the State Gaming Office. It's challenging turning over these audits as it requires efficient time management skills. I thoroughly enjoy working in this industry and have learned a tremendous amount of the Indian Gaming Industry. One of the most challenging areas our office has experienced is to maintain effective working relationships with the casino management, the regulatory office, and the community council.
Pros
Competitive wages and benefit plan
Cons
Opportunity for advancement in my field
Productive enviroment
Maintenance/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Sacaton, AZMay 21, 2013
very good company nice people and community members. always hard working to improve service seeking further results
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
workmanship
Job has allowed me to gain growth, knowledge and experience.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Land Use Planning & Zoning Sacaton, AZ.April 9, 2013
This position has allowed me numerous amount of growth in project managing being delegated to oversee the day to day operations of the department. The experience to manage, develop and create processes for the department in regards to records management, inventory management and being a supervisor. I have had the pleasure of supervising a excellent support staff with excellent customer service. Managing the budget year to year and being in charge of all vehicles maintenance and designing a file structure for seven sections within the department. Having the opportunity to gain knowledge in regards to surveys and survey equipment. One the best part of my job was working with a supervisor that had faith and trust in my knowledge and dedication. Gaining knowledge in land acquisitions and creating a incoming/outgoint database with laser fiche scanning that has enhance and organize the tracking of all incoming/outgoing requests and documents. Learning about land uses within Tribal government.
i enjoyed it
Special Youth Development Specialist 1 (Former Employee) –  Sacaton, AZMarch 27, 2013
i liked working here i learned alot as a person and also as a parent, they worked with my schedule always received good comments on my work ethic and jugments
Pros
benefits, stability, good pay
Cons
no communicaton

4.4