Gilbane Employee Reviews

Was a diaster from day one
Senior Accounts Payable (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 14, 2017
If you were one of the in group then life was good. If not this company can ruin your life in so many ways. I lost nearly 30 pounds, I did not sleep more than a few hours a night. When I was terminate it was a relief.
Pros
Cons
People have an ax to grind and are very good at it.
Ability to self-manage but understaffed
Manager (Current Employee) –  OhioAugust 4, 2017
Compensation is fairly good compared to the average for the area. The downside is that it's salary work and the company expects a LOT of your time. 55 hour work weeks and more can be expected. Also, older site management are set in their ways and there seems to be no attempt from regional management to change that.
Pros
Very good insurance
Cons
Poor work-life balance, also unanswered management concerns
Fun place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Concord, OHJune 22, 2017
Phones, filing, data entry, shipping and receiving
Working with the engineers and construction foremen
Very high class people
Planning luncheons for engineers
Pros
Trips to our Columbus office for classes and meetings
Gilbane is a great company to work for!
Project Engineer II (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 31, 2017
A typical day includes communication review (emails), team and client meetings, project coordination with designers, contractors, and CM team. Field and Office management. RFQ and Contract management.
Pros
Training and Experienced Managment Staff
Cons
No openings in Michigan
Gilbane Summary
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 17, 2017
Gilbane is a great company to work for. They provide better then average benefits and vacation packages. They invest a lot of money to train employees and provide employees with industry leading technology. Safety Culture is very high.
Pros
Good compensation, benefit and vacation packages
Cons
Hard to get hired
Not recommended
Project Manager-II (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 9, 2017
Gilbane claim they are family company but there is no family life for employee. it is not fun to work for this company due to executive have very unprofessional approach to their team. it is frustrating to work in this kind of environment.
Pros
Cons
no family life, expect to work over the weekend without time off during week days
great job ethics
Carpenter (Current Employee) –  Norton museum of art west Palm Beach floridaFebruary 18, 2017
Great job ethics, out standing safety program,working with management is like working with family,everybody is very respectful and caring an understanig
Overall fun place to work, enjoyed all the people I worked and never ran into any major issues.
Construction Intern II (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 31, 2017
A typical day working for Gilbane on a job site consisted of arriving bright and early to the job site before construction begins. All my managers/coworkers were helpful with new tasks and always willing to lend a hand.
A great company to work for with very good benefits.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Albany, NY & Atlanta GAJanuary 4, 2017
As a Sr PM a typical day can consist of getting involved with a multitude of issues. These issues range from solving daily problems, managing the processes and procedures, dealing with subcontractors, Architects, and owners. Another important facet of daily life is working with co workers who ultimately become like family. The hardest part of the job is knowing that at any time disaster could strike in the form of a safety accident. Safety is paramount and one of my primary focuses daily. One of my main objectives is to insure that all safety protocols are being implemented and enforced. The most enjoyable part is completing projects on time with outstanding quality and on time.
happy
Pipe Welder (Former Employee) –  Manchester, WADecember 22, 2016
good place with a company who seems to have things figured out. except scheduling but what do you expect from a place that has to deal with the government... not much a surprise huh
Great Place
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 13, 2016
Draft Design, Schedules updates, plans, QC, Additional duties included conducting quality control reviews and meetings, interfacing with subcontractors on quality control measures and design revisions, reviewing daily construction progress at each site by evaluating daily construction photographs, maintaining the project labor force, processing subcontractor invoices, and reviewing project submittals for drawing and specification compliance.
new experiences, nice people, team work.
One of the best compannies I have worked
Senior MEP Superintendent (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 16, 2016
My work with Gilbane was very exciting form each project to the next. Your skills are properly match to the work and the co workers you are working with are very familiar with you. Team matrix are being match and attending training is always encouraged. The hardest part of the job is meeting the schedule on very critical high profile projects and at risk projects. I enjoyed mostly the part of the project when is completed on time and on budget.
good people to work around.
Field Office Engineer (Former Employee) –  Spring, TXFebruary 22, 2016
I was on the largest construction project in America. This project took a lot of people to build. They made sure that the project was staffed accordingly.
Pros
You can move departments very easy.
Cons
The company is very big.
Good people to work with and Great benefits.
Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLJanuary 8, 2016
A typical day at work was about getting the job done safely so every worker on the job would go home the same way he/she came to work and that the owner received a top quality project. Management cared about their people like family. The people I worked with are good people and great at their jobs. We all had each others back.
Typical Work day at Gilbane
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 28, 2015
My typical workday was always full of chaos. I was not a good fit with the Gilbane Team because I am organized and like order in the workplace and unfortunately the people I worked with were not knowledgeable of the work flow of the Capital Construction Dept.
As an office manager, and being part of their team, I was constantly interrupted on a day to day bases.
I always had to stop in the middle of a task to do other tasks and had to then pick up where I left off. And once I attempted to pick up where I left off I was then interrupted again. This is expected sometimes in an office environment but interruptions should not be to that magnitude. Half of the time, I don't even think my boss was aware of my tasks/and or duties. The cons were: Having to grammatically correct Payment rejection letters that a co-worker would type and then ask me to mail out on her behalf. She made lots of errors on these letters and rather than to continue pointing out her errors I simply made the corrections before mailing the letters.
I don't approve or disapprove of Gilbane's CEO
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
Read my REVIEW
Great company and stable
Sr. Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 13, 2015
The benefits, pay and most all people are great.
Job security and potential for advancement is good.
The work/life balance could be a lot better.

Some of the upper management don't care about employees or their family life.
Some upper management is great and does care about employees.
Hardest part of job
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 12, 2015
The hardest part of working for Gilbane Building Company was working with team of people who were not very knowledgeable of client policy and general things about in house operations.
Great work environment
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, NJOctober 15, 2015
Gilbane is very proactive re: education and skill development. All employees are encouraged to develop skill sets to their maximum.
Pros
Interesting project and client
Cons
Nothing worth mentioning
Fast Paced, multi-tasking Workplace
Executive Assistant and Purchasing (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 6, 2015
I enjoyed working for Gilbane because of the opportunities it provided to me while working for them. However, many hours of hard work and dedication were not recognized.
Pros
Opportunity to learn new skills
Cons
Many hour of overtime with little compensation.
Teamwork based environment
Administrative Support Level 1 (Current Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CASeptember 9, 2015
A typical day at work for me consists of archiving federal documents using research and reason. I typically have a couple of responsibilities to take care of from helping fellow employees archive there documents to covering the front desk, answering calls, opening mail, recording checks etc. I have learned that teamwork is needed to ensure we all win. I work with some of the most talented individuals who love not only what they do but the people they work with. The best part of my job is knowing I have people I can count on when I need help.
Pros
Company sponsored events

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gilbane. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval