Gilead Sciences Employee Reviews in United States

Toxic Culture
Quality Specialist 3 (Current Employee) –  Foster City, CAApril 27, 2016
The people and policies reflect a culture that is toxic to professionals. Asking questions is prohibited and career advancement is at the expense of personal dignity
Pros
good food
Cons
employees
Oracle EBS Consultant
Oracle Apps SCM/OPM System Analyst (Current Employee) –  CAApril 18, 2016
Oracle EBS Functional and Technical.Good Job Culture.Participated in all Design phases of this project.
Learned more anout OPM and had adapted to different project reuirements,
We have a team size of 5 with developers and Functional consultants.
The harderst part of the job is to meet the complex req's which are solely in OPM .
The most enjoyable part of the job is despite stringent deadline we could meet all the req's and development with minor issues during Golive.
Incredibly talented team & great work environment!
UI/UX Designer (Former Employee) –  Foster City, CAApril 6, 2016
I was originally brought on as a Front-End Developer, however after working with management and assessing user needs based on UX analysis methods it was clearly evident that the current UI wasn't addressing the complex user needs. Gradually my position transitioned to redesigning the UI and conducting UX design research to gather data.

Overall my experience was great! I had the opportunity to work with and learn from talented and seasoned developers. A typical day would consist of brief in depth meetings to assess daily workloads & how to implement and leverage technologies such as Angular JS, JAVA, javascript libraries, UI design sprints and timelines.
Pros
Company subsidized gourmet food!
Cons
Contract position
No career mobility
Biology, Senior Scientist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAMarch 24, 2016
Gilead Sciences does not encourage career mobility, if you stay in one division, you have little chance to move to other division, no matter you are good or not, no matter your skills fit in other division or not.
fast paced environment
Clinical Trial Manager (Current Employee) –  Foster City, CAFebruary 23, 2016
fast paced environment, high expectations, not enough work life balance, no WFH policy, different rules for different folks, not enough focus on employee development from managers due to pace of organization (managers themselves are swamped, and don't always know or have patience to understand employee's needs), not always objective, emphasis how one's image is portrayed to the team rather than collaborative approach of working together towards common goal, significant turn-over within organization
Cons
work life balance
80 hour weeks
Java Lead Developer (Former Employee) –  Foster City, CANovember 18, 2015
Good pay but required burnout. People were good to work with. Housing was expensive. Weather was good. Silicon valley is good to put on resume.
Great work environment
Contractor, Finance - Biometrics (Former Employee) –  Foster City, CAOctober 30, 2015
Overall good work environment and company culture. Growing company with many opportunities. The company has a deep organizational structure that may inhabit fat paced problem solving and solution implementation. The people i worked with are very knowledgeable about the jobs and are easy to work with.
Pros
company culture to develop employees
Cons
very deep organizational structure that hinders fast paced problem solving.
Great IT Team
IT Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Foster City, CAOctober 20, 2015
Was in a corporate environment with 3,500 end users. Had nice happy hour Fridays with food so we could meet other employees on a social environment.
Awesome Company and Products - Little Development
Associate Manager (Current Employee) –  Foster City, CASeptember 22, 2015
Overall, I love working at Gilead. I love the people. I love the products. I love the work they do in emerging markets and indigent domestic markets.

Advancement is gradual and consistent with an established companies.
Pros
People - food - products
Cons
Bay Area requires higher pay.
Simply too much
Director (Former Employee) –  Foster City, CAAugust 24, 2015
Great products, great pipeline, too much hard driving toward the goals. There needs to be a more grown-up approach to drug development because the scale of a start-up can't apply to a mature company.
Fast paced environment
Stability Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Foster City, CAAugust 16, 2015
A typical day at work includes last minute projects and deadlines. Must work quickly and efficiently to complete all necessary work.
Great Company
Associate Manager (Current Employee) –  Foster City, CAAugust 16, 2015
Very Hectic at work due to number of projects one has to deal everyday. Multi-tasking is required. So much to learn from cross functional teams. The Location is the best.
Great company
Oncology Therapeutic Specialist (Current Employee) –  DCAugust 8, 2015
Great Company to work for, excellent pay, benefits, work life balance, management, small territory, company car, coworkers, travel, products are superior, etc.
Excellent place to work. Great work, people and opportunities
Manufacturing Technician II (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, caAugust 6, 2015
In downstream purification, Weigh/Dispense Chemicals for Purification of Cell derived products by Chromatography processes: Pro A, SPHP, Capto Q, UFDF. Typical process takes three weeks. Excellent management team. Great workers and working environment. Company treats employees very well.
A generous company
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 22, 2015
They take care of the sales force for sure. I enjoy working for this company. I work with great people. I am not sure what else to say.
Very busy and long hours.
Sr. Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Dimas, CAJuly 13, 2015
Gilead is a very busy company. New construction, projects and manufacturing. Very good training opportunities. Community involvement is important.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
on call on weekends
Outstanding Company - Difficult to Work for
Therapeutic Specialty Representative (Current Employee) –  Beverly Hills, CaJuly 10, 2015
Depending on the division your in makes a difference in the job culture you are subjected to. IHD is the red headed step child of the organization and is treated poorly. Minimal support for Managed Care Contracting.
Pros
Great Pipeline, Stock Plan, Good Salary
Cons
Intense Culture, Long Hours, High Sales Goals that are challenging to say the least
I would strongly advise you NOT to work here!
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  San Dimas, CAJune 17, 2015
There is essentially no work-life balance and they can care less about your well being and your family. All they care about is making money. "For the love of money is the root of all evil!" Gilead demands you to work untill they tell you to go home. I'm not joking here, I slept in my car after working back to back 15-20 hour shifts. I have the many time card printouts to prove it! Gilead clams this is the best package you can find. Well these people haven't worked anywhere else in alot of years, they are inexperienced in what is offered out there now a days. What good is having benefits when you cant even take time off to go to the dentist or doctors because if your not at work your missing deadlines which hold up production which equals loss of money. This place is cancerous and I was out of there before that cancer killed my relationship with my family. You can make money anywhere, this place is not the only place in the world to make a great living in. If you care about your family and your well being look for employment elsewhere. If you just care about making money this is a place for you. But let me tell you all the money in the world cant buy happiness.
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
Anything you can think of
Good Company, has it's flaws
QA (Current Employee) –  Foster City, CAJune 9, 2015
The benefits and stock options here are great but the company culture and work life balance are pretty bad. Most employees are doing the work of 3 people and it is impossible to work just a normal 8 hours day. The workload is not only heavy but very demanding as alot of the work is very urgent.

The political nature of this company doesn't allow for quick progress unless a manager personally likes you. Promotions aren't based off of what you know or the work you put in, but instead on if that manager wants you to be promoted or likes you enough to do it.
Pros
rapidly growing company, good benefits
Cons
no work life balance, poor management
great work environment.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Foster City, CAJune 4, 2015
Gilead is a great company to work for. It has very compassionate and positive people working there. The folks I supported were top notch and treated others with respect and understanding.
Pros
great cafe
Cons
lack of advancement