Gilead Employee Reviews

Great Pay for Motivated/constant workers
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  TexasJuly 28, 2016
As a Retention Supervisor, the pay was great! But I had no life..
You really have to be flexible. Can never really care about the employees and Workflow at the same time.(work usually came first). Loved the Job, but a little more structure would help.
Pros
Great Pay, Flexible hours
Cons
Work/life balance, Support, Personal vehicle
Bad place to work, Great compensation
Supply Chain Specialist (Current Employee) –  Foster City, CAAugust 14, 2016
Gilead does not promote from within. Go for a couple of years and then leave. Employee satisfaction is a bottom priority because they just throw money at you. Not a place to grow, your just a number. HR are poor
Day in day out
Drug-Safety Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAOctober 5, 2016
Pros
paid work
Cons
boring job
Challenging environment
PL/SQL Developer (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 12, 2016
I enjoyed my job. Learned a lot with the help of my co-workers. There are many typical days but managed and delivered projects in time.
Discrimination in Hiring?
Applicant (Former Employee) –  Foster City, CAMay 25, 2016
I have applied numerous times for positions within Gilead never to receive even a phone interview. I suspect discrimination.
Pros
Are there any?
Cons
Too many to list
Money isn't everything!
Theraputic Specialist (Current Employee) –  USADecember 8, 2015
Don't let this be the determining factor for you! I am speaking from experience -from someone who made the move to Gilead primarily due to the increase in salary, and all added perks (employee stock option program, bonus). Gilead has a very different corporate culture and environment vs. other companies. The bar is set extremely high- with even very tenured reps squawking at how unrealistic/unachievable the quotas are. The learning curve is also set extremely high so you better be quick to adapt because if you don't, since the company runs so "lean", you will be left in the dust. If you don't thrive in a high stress environment or are willing to dedicate your life to your job, this is not the right job for you.
Pros
money
Cons
corporate culture/work-family life balance
Very Rigid and Strict Cluture
Storage Engineer (Former Employee) –  Foster CityAugust 11, 2015
Gilead could be very exciting place to work but since all BIO Tech firms has to follow strict guidelines of the FDA can make it very not so fun place to work.

Management extremely critical of others and quick to let go for even not following simple instructions.Management states they do not like to micro managed their employees when they watch literally every move you make.

Fellow peers were great to get along with.

They are good at giving free lunches especially when there is a working lunch.
Pros
Good Free Lunches
Cons
Rigid Work Environment due to FDA guidelines.
Sweatshop reputation warranted
Scientist-Development (Current Employee) –  Foster City, CAAugust 9, 2015
Gilead is a great company with great products. It is easy to be proud of what I do here. The working environment, however, is lacking. The pace is relentless. I check email first thing when I wake up and throughout the evening when I get home. My boss often emails me at 10-11 pm at night. There are so many meetings during the day that sometimes you have to work in the evening just to get things done. When problems arise, I do not feel I have the support of my management. I agree with the review that it is a toxic environment. I have been here 3 years and will not be here much longer.
Pros
Free coffee, good salary
Cons
Inequitable, stressful
Lean Company
research associate (Former Employee) –  Foster City, CAJanuary 16, 2016
Gilead is fast paced and busy workplace, everyone is expected to work hard and work lean. The first 3 years that i was there I was moved to 3 different bosses, 3 reorganization and 1 layoff. It's consistently changing and you need to be able to keep up. It gets really stressful when FDA is there which is true for other company that goes to the same process. As far as my department is concern, I like that even the lower level person can speak with higher management and they listen as they are open to ideas. You learn a lot and you can advance if you are eager and willing to follow the company culture, can play politics and go above and beyond your role, there is no balance in your work/life. When I wake up I find email sent late at night, way early in the morning, weekends and sometimes text messages even while on vacation asking me about work which can be communicated in work hours or when I get back, sometimes be given task with very little time to work on or late in the afternoon expected to be done on that day given no option but to stay late, when again this can wait until the next work day. If you are ready for this kind of work process then this place is for you.
Pros
good benefits, free food, reimburse tuition, on-campus MBA program
Cons
too lean, promotion is slow, politics, no balance in work/life balance
Good Pay Horrible Culture
Finance & Accounting (Former Employee) –  Foster City, CAAugust 20, 2013
Worked at the company for almost 8 years, and didn't how horrible the culture was until I left and started at a normal company. Upper management encourages lying to staff, promotions with in are rare and when it happens is not based on merits but being liked by a small group of upper management. Good people are fired or pushed out on weekly basis. Once you leave, Gilead is known to contact your new employer and bad mouth you.
Pros
Good pay & benefits
Cons
Toxic culture, dishonest
Toxic culture
Director (Former Employee) –  Foster CityNovember 22, 2013
The company fosters managing up and squishing the workers. Great products and scientists, but the management is terrible. If you are not in the right clique, you are toast. The work/life balance is not good as you are expected to be on 24hr call.

Compensation is adequate and with the exponential rise in the stock for now, it worth a look at if you go in with your eyes WiDE open.
Pros
great products
Cons
incompetent, kissing up management
good enviorment
SHIPPING/FORKLIFT OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  San Dimas, CASeptember 19, 2012
a company that can make you feel at home away from home bieng able to work in a safe and outgoing peopole that are serious about their jobs and are respectfull
Pros
paid time off
Cons
short breaks
Not very fair
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  OceansideJanuary 5, 2014
They just don't get it in terms of searching outside of company for fresh talent/skills. NEPOTISM all the time, all they way!
Cons
I would strongly advise you NOT to work here!
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  San Dimas, CAOctober 4, 2014
There is essentially no work-life balance and they can care less about yourself and your family. All they care about is making money. "For the love of money is the root of all evil!" Gilead demands you to work untill they tell you to go home. I'm not joking here, I slept in my car after working back to back 15-20 hour shifts. I have the time card printouts to prove it! Gilead clams this is the best package you can find. well these people haven't worked anywhere else in alot of years, they are inexperienced in what is offered out there now a days. What good is having benifits when you cant even take time off to go to the dentist or doctors because if your not at work your missing deadlines which hold up production which equals loss of money. This place is cancerous and I was out of there before that cancer killed my relationship with my family. You can make money anywhere, this place is not the only place in the world to make a great living in. If you care about your family and your well being look for employment elsewhere. If you just care about making money this is a place for you. But let me tell you all the money in the world cant buy happiness.
Pros
Big Pay Check
Cons
Anything you can think of!
Productive place to work