Gill Industries Employee Reviews

Interesting Place to Work at
Team Lead (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIJune 26, 2015
Pros: Company Events, Job Security, Opportunities
Cons: Long hours, Low Compensation, High Turnover
Gill Industries is a great place to work at, there are many opportunities for advancement. Unfortunately when it comes to the people out on the shop floor there are plenty of promotion, but minimal to no compensation increase. Because of this, most people that gain skills and become valuable end up leaving the company. As a whole there is a lot of potential to contribute and grow as an individual, however the compensation does not reflect the new found skills.
great job if you love to travel
Driver/Laborer (Former Employee), Baton Rouge, LAApril 20, 2015
Pros: got to travel
Cons: no promotion
start out the day driving from lafayette to baton rouge pick up few workers set up to clean asbestos from different places learned how to demo worksites management was great and coworkers were great also
Terrible.
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee), Trenton, GAMarch 31, 2015
Pros: Hour lunch break
Cons: Safety hazards, rate of firing/quitting, they can never keep employees
Gill Industries will work you overtime Fridays and Saturdays. They'll fire you if you get hurt. And second shift never does their jobs, they use whats left of first shifts parts and then go home early and get paid in full while first shift will work 10 hours a day, from 5am to 3:30pm. The HR workers need to be replaced because they have no clue what they're doing and they jump on a dime to feel like they're needed and will fire people over something another employee says without asking the person they're firing for their side of the story.
good work place
Assembly Line, Assistant (Current Employee), Grand Rapids, MIDecember 16, 2014
i liked working there but, the pay was too litle. i really liked the people i worked with and the hours
My co-workers is the best part of my day
Forklift Driver/Material Handler (Current Employee), Richmond, KYNovember 11, 2014
communication between shift could be a lot better management I'm not they just purchased the company from GR Springs. Most of my co-workers are great to get along with, the hardest part of my job is the start of the shift when there are two or three change overs or when we run out of knockdowns or skids. The best part of my job is when I have rough few hours and I look around and it all works out and I don't leave the next shift in a bad way.
Fast Paced. Easy going. Nice people.
Machine Operator/Assembler (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIOctober 17, 2014
Pros: pay. hours. people.
Cons: attendince policy. managment.
A day at Gill was pretty simple. Unless your machine broke you stood at one machine, with multiple stations that you would rotate from after breaks, and just put the same pieces in over and over. I learned how to quality check parts, and pack them properly in a box. The management wasn't the best, but only because they weren't around to be found when you needed them for over rides on your machine, but other then that it wasn't terrible. The coworkers were fantastic, and they always knew how to make a new person welcome. Training was easy and they always helped when needed. The hardest part of the job was when you had high numbers to make and your machine was passing parts that were bad, or it just wouldn't run all together. The most enjoyable part of working at gill was probably the overtime, on Fridays they would allow you to listen to music as long as it wasn't in a headphone.
I would not recomend this company
CNC Dept Quality Inspector (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIJune 17, 2014
Cons: skilled labor was treatted the same as unskilled labor
The company is not a trustworthy place to work. I find it hard to say what i learned when the design department was told not to teach me anything. The managers created a dismal view of the company by lying to your face discriminating against you and changing the name of the tool and die plant so they could close it down with out notice. All For the name of profit for the owners. they would hand out anonymous papers to fill out so they would get a opinion of the employees but would only use the positive reviews it came to a point that the employees who had something negative to say about the company did not fill out employee surveys
Nice people and Good hours.
Production Operator (Current Employee), Grand Rapids, MichiganApril 8, 2014
Work from 5:30am-4pm
make sure welders are set to go, wait for lead person to tell us what is in the schedule for that day. Co-workers are fun to work with.
When you ask the team leader or supervisor about something you want to take care of they take forever to respond or do anything. When we don't have any quality problems and at the end of the day we provide to our customers with a top quality product.
Relaxed environment
Production Operator (Current Employee), Grand Rapids, MIMarch 19, 2014
This job is very versatile, in that if you don't want to work very hard you don't have to, but if you do there is room for improvement. Most lines are very easy and simple. The hardest part of the job is training new co-workers, sometimes it's very difficult to teach something that's very familiar to you but very new to them. The most enjoyable part of the job is if you are an extrovert, there are plenty of friendly people to talk to. If you are an introvert, there's lots of time to keep to yourself and stay in your own imagination. Over the amount of time I've worked here, I've learned basic machine maintenance and basic tools to perform quality inspections.
Avoid them at all cost
Machine Operator (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 1, 2014
Cons: benefits suck
After busting my rear through a temp service for 8 months, I finally got hired in. They had promised to hire in after 30-90 days.
In two years I missed 2 days of work (both due to illness) and was never late. I did the best I could, finished as many orders in a week as I could and was constantly begging for more work. Not OT, Just more work. I worked harder than any of the people around me and got treated like dirt, then fired.
If you're a hard worker and try to do the best you can, avoid this place. If you're lazy, unmotivated and like to stand around a broken machine half the day, go apply, they're always hiring.
The "benefits" are laughable. I get a better vision plan through my credit union.
The hardest part of the job was being treated like dirt for working hard. As another person posted, you really don't get 10 minutes for your 10 minute break.
The most enjoyable part of the job? There are a few good, fun people there. Working 5:30-4;00 was kind of nice because you can still go do what you need to after work and you miss the worst traffic.
Management? What management? If you work in assembly you will never see the supervisor unless there is a group of bigwigs coming through, or the quarterly meetings. The supervisors in other areas know more about assembly than he does. At the time I left there were only 2 team leaders on first shift. One was a pretty darn good person, but had too many responsibilities to be a good leader, the other was only good at sucking up to the supervisor.
When they started giving bonuses I was thrilled! Until I realized that we could get (at most) – more... $110, while 2 of my friends (who work manufacturing at other companies in GR) were getting quarterly bonuses of $300-$500 and making $2.50/hr more.
Through the temp service you start at $8.50/ hr. After hire-in it might go up to $8.60. Then a tiny raise every year. I was at $9.50 after 2 years, so if you're after money look somewhere else.

If you ignore all the warnings on this site, WATCH YOUR BACK!! There are some truly good, nice people there, but not many. Most of them will stab you in the back if you give them a chance. – less
Awful
Assembly Technician (Former Employee), Trenton, GADecember 6, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: everything else
This was the worst place I had ever worked. I do not reccomend it to anyone.
Great Job
Machine Weld Operator (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIApril 10, 2013
It is a great place to work, the benefits are great and the hours are decent.
Best place I have ever worked
Senior CMM Programmer/ Quality Engineer (Former Employee), Michigan and GeorgiaMarch 10, 2013
The team and leadership at this company was some of the finest people I have ever had the pleasure of working with. True class acts.
Money First. People Second!
Machine Operator (Former Employee), Grand Rapids MIFebruary 2, 2013
Cons: they don't care about anything but money.
Worked there for 8 years! Should of just walked off when I asked why they were hiring femal hispanc woman off the street but not me..a white blue eyed blond hair male...who has been a temp for over 5 months. Not to mention an ex Air Force member so you know I gots the brains! I asked if my work ethic was lacking. I was told I was a very good worker and would be hired soon. It got to the point my teamleader went to HR to talk to them. I even stated that I felt I was being discriminated against. Needless to say I was hired in the next week. HR said they "lost" my paperwork. Gee they were oking my time cards for my temp agency. That HR manager was terminated a month later..hhmmm. They laid off over 75% of work force and kept the low wage ppl. Then tried to cut our wages just before payday...5-10% cut no less. An employee went to talk to a labor attorny about it. Found out they can't cut your wages a day before payday. It's like promising you one wage at hire in then telling you you got a lower one after you start working. They gave back the money they stole from us but the next week they cut our wages again. Bennies are bad! High deductables and poor coverage. Dental covers maybe two visits then you pay the rest. FAST tempo. You are going from the moment the buzzer rings till it rings for lunch. You have to wait for buzzer to ring to leave work station and have to be back BEFORE the buzzer. It is a minute and a half to two minutes to walk to breakroom. So you lose 5 minutes from your 10 min break. And you have to keep working/cleaning until the end of shift buzzer then do your – more... paperwork. 1st hates 2nd and 2nd hates 1st. You never see your supervisor unless you don't get the numbers they think you should. Plant manager/Super is an old man who worked for China/Japan companies..in those countries...who walks around and bullies you to do more work. Kinda odd huh? Unfair point system. If you get 20pts you are gone. You get 3 pts for missing work and have to work a full month to drop 3 pts. Only two maint ppl and one of them(the female) who has no clue what is going on and has a BAD attitude! She has been talked to about it one SEVERAL ocassions! It doesn't matter if the machine just broke. If a part wore out and failed due to time or the fact that they don't do prevent maint on the machines..it is ALWAYS the operators fault...even if you prove otherwise it was YOUR fault. But it's a femal run company. Connect the dots! Also the VP/Owner did NOT start the company...her daddy did and she got it when daddy passed on.
I lost my eyesight in my left eye. Had to fight to see the doctor. Had to go in for several tests since no one knew what was wrong. Was forced to work Fridays..WAS TOLD I HAD TO...so I couldn't see the doc on my "day off" since we work 10 hr days. Fridays off? HA! They denied my PTO so I was forced to go to the doc with points. I was diagnosed with MS! Teamleader didn't listen to me so I went to HR for FMLA paperwork. Was told it would be denied anyways so I just walked out. Got fired for points due to PTO denial. On the day I was fired I told my supervisor the issue..in front of HR as well..he said that sucks and to sign the paper. And they did this at the end of the month so my medical coverage was cancelled the following day. No MS meds for me! I'm sure they did this to save a few bucks since my medical deductable was met after the first MRI and they would have to start coughing up money. I've since started talking to legal council..we might have a pretty good case against em. :D Just stay away from this place. All they care about is how much money they can make. No matter what. Just read the other reviews and you will see a disturbing pattern. – less
Automotive
GENERAL ACCOUNTING MANAGER (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 2, 2013
Automotive was going down so I looked for a different position.
Challenging and Fast Pace at times.
Scheduler/Planner (Current Employee), Trenton, GAAugust 18, 2012
Cons: health and dental insurance
Gill has become a more team-oriented environment over the last 15 months. Staff shortages although frustrating at times has allowed me to expand my knowledge of the business and the functions within all departments. Staff shortages have prompted me to take initiative to become more involved with each new problem, which in turn has increased my knowledge and understanding of the manufacturing goals at hand.

The hardest part of this position has been over come by the company realizing more team play was needed in order to help resolve root cause problems. I have great team players within not only the materials and purchasing departments, but all departments at this time.
Please heed my warnings
It does not matter (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIJuly 9, 2012
Pros: none!!!
Cons: see review please.
Terribly poor wages for the type work being done compared to similar factories in town. As others said VERY fast paced work, extremely tedious and monotonousness work. Absolutely boring. 10hr days, standing in one spot, supposed to be 4 day / 40hr weeks but you are ALWAYS working 5 day / 50hr weeks. IF you ask to be off for a Friday or two you will be fired. If the manager doesn't like you for whatever unjustified reason, you will be fired. If you do not brown nose the higher up's you will be fired... No matter if your a good, smart, hard worker or not. They have a revolving door mentality... if you wont do it for what we pay we will replace you with someone else who will.

Completely incompetent and clueless management. They seem content with just keeping things running and as is, nothing is done for the sake of improvement on any level, only for the sake of keeping things running as is and no better or worse. Factory is filled with welder smoke and summer days it is always 100F + indoors while the desk jockeys sit in there 72F offices up front just feet from where you are slowly dehydrating to death. Overturn of workers in on a daily / weekly basis not yearly.

Everyone is a temp to start, 90% quit or get fired within a few days to couple of weeks. Very few intelligent / hard workers, but mostly all completely lazy worthless people. Company meetings are just to blow their own horn about how great things are for the company, nothing given back to the workers, no even a complement. If you do ask a question at the meetings concerning anything it will NOT be answered EVER!! So – more... just don't bother, I think that is what they are going for anyhow. Every Christmas there is a raffle where the company owners will personally trick one person out of $100 and laugh like it is a joke! Seriously a few days before Christmas!! To people that need every dollar they can get! Raises are counted by pennies not quarters or dollars, and are ONLY given at set intervals and not for being a hard worker.

1st shift hates 2nd shift and 2nd shift hates 1st, and barley any communication happens between the two. It is like two different companies in the same place. Supervisors and managers sit in their chairs all day messing around on the internet, dating sites, email, and texting and then come out on the floor when the shift is more than half over and ask whats is going on out here? Blah blah... numbers are low... Blah! The people that do stay for lack of other job options have to train all the new temps coming in on a daily to weekly basis, the supervisors do no training at all.

They proudly boast it is a union free company and they can solve their problems internally and also that it is a women owned company, when really they just stole the business from there father when he died.

Oh and a final note, their only other manufacturing plants they have besides one in Georgia(which I hear is eerily similar to the Grand Rapids plant) is in Mexico and China... Hmm what are they known for? Terribly low wages and poor working conditions!!!

*If you seen this review before it is because I posted it on another similar site. I just want to get the word out to others about the poor working conditions at Gill Industries, GR.* – less

February 2, 2013

Everything you have said is true. I am so happy to be free from that place. Hope you are as well.

Poor culture & management
Materials (Former Employee), Trenton, GAJune 20, 2012
The culture at Gill Georgia is poor to say the least. Management is run through a bully mentality. The people are treated as objects or commodities, not as individuals that can help contribute to the success of the organization. The typical day consists of reacting to situations and putting out fires instead of planning and being proactive. There is quite a bit of potential for good things to happen there. Good people work at the Georgia facility...people who care for each other and want to do good & what is right. However, until substantial changes occur within upper management...stay away!