Gill Industries Employee Reviews in United States

not recommended
Operator (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 14, 2016
GRSS was a great company to work for great management and workers, everyone was generally happy, Gill bought them out and they took all the good the company had and threw it out the window, they lost so many good hard working people. but they did not care they want to run it there way and that's it. we had 2 shifts during week and a weekend shift, some ding dong thought it would be great idea to eliminate weekend shift and add a 3rd shift, says we will have more family time, bull, we still work 6-7 days a week and I see my family less, due to the fact I was forced to go to 3rd, on top of that you don't know if your working the weekend until Thursday every week, so you cant make plans for the weekend until then. if you have questions about anything to HR they never answer it, they beat around the bush or just lie to your face. I learned if you are a hard working individual do not apply at Gill. overall I do not recommend this company to any one.
Pros
are none
Cons
Eerything
not a job would recamend
Press Operator (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 14, 2016
no supervision lack of quality,nobody is held accountable for there job duties, they over look the people that do not have the experience to do the job
Pros
christmas dinner
Cons
no supervision
It is a good starting place for factory work
Line Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 3, 2015
Gill Industries is a very good place to start a job or if you are in between jobs.
Not a good place for advancement for the average factory worker.

Over all it is a decent place to earn a paycheck.
Pros
four day work week
Cons
Not as employee minded as they could be
Hard working
Senior buyer (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 4, 2016
Denso was a great company to work for they put you through tons of training and you have to be willing to put in long hours to make sure the work is done.
Interesting Place to Work at
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 26, 2015
Gill Industries is a great place to work at, there are many opportunities for advancement. Unfortunately when it comes to the people out on the shop floor there are plenty of promotion, but minimal to no compensation increase. Because of this, most people that gain skills and become valuable end up leaving the company. As a whole there is a lot of potential to contribute and grow as an individual, however the compensation does not reflect the new found skills.
Pros
Company Events, Job Security, Opportunities
Cons
Long hours, Low Compensation, High Turnover
Terrible.
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Trenton, GAMarch 31, 2015
Gill Industries will work you overtime Fridays and Saturdays. They'll fire you if you get hurt. And second shift never does their jobs, they use whats left of first shifts parts and then go home early and get paid in full while first shift will work 10 hours a day, from 5am to 3:30pm. The HR workers need to be replaced because they have no clue what they're doing and they jump on a dime to feel like they're needed and will fire people over something another employee says without asking the person they're firing for their side of the story.
Pros
Hour lunch break
Cons
Safety hazards, rate of firing/quitting, they can never keep employees
Fun Place to work
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 12, 2015
My day will start by turning on machines, getting the machines warmed up, do my quality checks. then starting to run machine.

Ive learned how to put together an headrest for a car.
My co-workers is the best part of my day
Forklift Driver/Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYNovember 11, 2014
communication between shift could be a lot better management I'm not they just purchased the company from GR Springs. Most of my co-workers are great to get along with, the hardest part of my job is the start of the shift when there are two or three change overs or when we run out of knockdowns or skids. The best part of my job is when I have rough few hours and I look around and it all works out and I don't leave the next shift in a bad way.
great job if you love to travel
Driver/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 20, 2015
start out the day driving from lafayette to baton rouge pick up few workers set up to clean asbestos from different places learned how to demo worksites management was great and coworkers were great also
Pros
got to travel
Cons
no promotion
I would not recomend this company
CNC Dept Quality Inspector (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJune 17, 2014
The company is not a trustworthy place to work. I find it hard to say what i learned when the design department was told not to teach me anything. The managers created a dismal view of the company by lying to your face discriminating against you and changing the name of the tool and die plant so they could close it down with out notice. All For the name of profit for the owners. they would hand out anonymous papers to fill out so they would get a opinion of the employees but would only use the positive reviews it came to a point that the employees who had something negative to say about the company did not fill out employee surveys
Cons
skilled labor was treatted the same as unskilled labor
Relaxed environment
Production Operator (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 19, 2014
This job is very versatile, in that if you don't want to work very hard you don't have to, but if you do there is room for improvement. Most lines are very easy and simple. The hardest part of the job is training new co-workers, sometimes it's very difficult to teach something that's very familiar to you but very new to them. The most enjoyable part of the job is if you are an extrovert, there are plenty of friendly people to talk to. If you are an introvert, there's lots of time to keep to yourself and stay in your own imagination. Over the amount of time I've worked here, I've learned basic machine maintenance and basic tools to perform quality inspections.
Poor culture & management
Materials (Former Employee) –  Trenton, GAJune 20, 2012
The culture at Gill Georgia is poor to say the least. Management is run through a bully mentality. The people are treated as objects or commodities, not as individuals that can help contribute to the success of the organization. The typical day consists of reacting to situations and putting out fires instead of planning and being proactive. There is quite a bit of potential for good things to happen there. Good people work at the Georgia facility...people who care for each other and want to do good & what is right. However, until substantial changes occur within upper management...stay away!
Challenging and Fast Pace at times.
Scheduler/Planner (Current Employee) –  Trenton, GAAugust 18, 2012
Gill has become a more team-oriented environment over the last 15 months. Staff shortages although frustrating at times has allowed me to expand my knowledge of the business and the functions within all departments. Staff shortages have prompted me to take initiative to become more involved with each new problem, which in turn has increased my knowledge and understanding of the manufacturing goals at hand.

The hardest part of this position has been over come by the company realizing more team play was needed in order to help resolve root cause problems. I have great team players within not only the materials and purchasing departments, but all departments at this time.
Cons
health and dental insurance
Nice people and Good hours.
Production Operator (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MichiganApril 8, 2014
Work from 5:30am-4pm
make sure welders are set to go, wait for lead person to tell us what is in the schedule for that day. Co-workers are fun to work with.
When you ask the team leader or supervisor about something you want to take care of they take forever to respond or do anything. When we don't have any quality problems and at the end of the day we provide to our customers with a top quality product.
Fast Paced. Easy going. Nice people.
Machine Operator/Assembler (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIOctober 17, 2014
A day at Gill was pretty simple. Unless your machine broke you stood at one machine, with multiple stations that you would rotate from after breaks, and just put the same pieces in over and over. I learned how to quality check parts, and pack them properly in a box. The management wasn't the best, but only because they weren't around to be found when you needed them for over rides on your machine, but other then that it wasn't terrible. The coworkers were fantastic, and they always knew how to make a new person welcome. Training was easy and they always helped when needed. The hardest part of the job was when you had high numbers to make and your machine was passing parts that were bad, or it just wouldn't run all together. The most enjoyable part of working at gill was probably the overtime, on Fridays they would allow you to listen to music as long as it wasn't in a headphone.
Pros
pay. hours. people.
Cons
attendince policy. managment.
Best place I have ever worked
Senior CMM Programmer/ Quality Engineer (Former Employee) –  Michigan and GeorgiaMarch 10, 2013
The team and leadership at this company was some of the finest people I have ever had the pleasure of working with. True class acts.
good work place
Assembly Line, Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIDecember 16, 2014
i liked working there but, the pay was too litle. i really liked the people i worked with and the hours
Awful
Assembly Technician (Former Employee) –  Trenton, GADecember 6, 2013
This was the worst place I had ever worked. I do not reccomend it to anyone.
benefits
Cons
everything else
Great Job
Machine Weld Operator (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 10, 2013
It is a great place to work, the benefits are great and the hours are decent.
Automotive
GENERAL ACCOUNTING MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 2, 2013
Automotive was going down so I looked for a different position.

2.9