Girl Scouts of the USA Employee Reviews in United States

Dont work here
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 22, 2016
If you arent hourly, the pay isnt worth it for the time you put in. Have fun getting a 12 cent raise after all of your hard work. The problem is with upper management. I've had a director who makes you do her school work for her masters program. She has called employees stupid and wishes they had enough money to fire them. HR does nothing. Insperity is useless. Have fun doing other peoples jobs for no increase in pay. They MAY give you a lovely $10 gift card for your extra hard work.
Pros
Awesome PTO-180 hours a year, holidays off, great christmas vacation
Cons
directors are hard to get ahold of due to constant meetings, overworked and overpaid, controlling, loud and annoying volunteers
Not what you think
Membership Representative (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 14, 2016
The environment is toxic, I've never seen such turnover or poor morale. Extremely low pay (they don't give raises), the expectation to work several nights per week meeting with troop leaders, the requirement to attend meetings and events in other regions with no comp time off, and an egomaniacle "CEO" who is one of the most difficult people that I've encountered in my entire life and career. I couldn't wait to get out!
Pros
Cookies
Cons
Everything else!
Enjoyable Volunteer Work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAMarch 24, 2016
Volunteer work is always a must with the girlscouts. It's fun and helps raise funds for you and your troops. Downside is standing long hours and walking door to door, and can be abit discouraging if someone deny your troop.
Program Management
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  North Haven, CT and Hartford, CTJanuary 29, 2016
I have been a Program Manager at Girl Scouts of Connecticut since 2007 and have worked for the organization since 2002. There is no typical day at work. What I mean by that is that the work environment is constantly changing and in working in Youth Development that's a plus. I love working with my co-workers and we are an extremely solid team with each of us bringing special skills to the table which makes Youth Programming excellent. My direct manager by far is one of the most organized, thoughtful, and efficient managers I have ever come across. I think that the main reason I have stayed at Girl Scouts for so many years is directly related to her.
I think while constant change is a good thing, I think it is the hardest part of my job. We are also lacking manpower so, achieving high ranking goals, is often difficult with little to no time.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with children. It is a unique opportunity to be on the ground seeing those "aha" moments. It makes the job much more bearable at times! My co-workers are fabulous also so the department support makes the day to day more successful.
Pros
Good Department Team
Cons
low salary, little movement both lateral and advanced, budget cuts, and little to no raises (none in the last three years)
Passionate people, troubled management
Outdoor and STEM Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 19, 2016
This was an incredibly rewarding company to work for, although at the time I was with this organization the management was under turmoil, which made managing programs difficult. Training program for new employees needed work. Expect to work evenings and weekends, but with comp time. Great vacation benefits.
Pros
Vacation time
Cons
Low matching for retirement plan
Rewarding career and positive mission
Director (Current Employee) –  Macedonia, OHNovember 9, 2015
Work days can be long for certain positions.
CEO is supportive of professional development and advancement from within.
Generous holidays and PTO. Compensation is good for a nonprofit. Great mission that drives the day to day operations and strategic direction.
The Member Engagement Specialist is a newer position that combines customer service and sales, in the sense that adults are often needed to fill troop volunteer roles and that takes some convincing.
Pros
Advancement from within, PTO and holidays, mission
Cons
Small number of paid staff, reliance on volunteers
Hard work where you get paid the most in the experience, rather than actual income.
Membership Development Executive (Current Employee) –  College Station, TXOctober 14, 2015
It is definitely a stepping stone kind of job for someone who might not be sure what they want to make a career out of yet. If you have been in the work force for a great deal of time already, I would not recommend taking on this position as you can easily get to the point where you feel a bit stuck. Everyone who works in this particular company are all very talented and very brilliant...which in many cases has proven to be a set back because sometimes to complete one task, there are too many people included in the mix. Overall not a bad job, but not the kind you want to make a career out of unless you genuinely like working way more than you get paid in the long run of things.
Pros
Fantastic benefits.
Cons
No possibility of a pay raise.
Great atmosphere and environment, it's Girl Scouts!
Outreach Leader (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 20, 2015
Girl Scouts Heart of Central California was one of my most pleasurable employments by far in life. The work environment was always filled with positive energy, and implementing programs for young adolescent girls to succeed in life was a rewarding experience in its own. My typical work day consisted of ensuring the provision of age appropriate activities by coordinating and assigning activities to meet the developmental needs and interests of participants. Maintaining all paperwork and records be submitted by specific deadlines. To empower and motivate girls to become strong, independent leaders.
Pros
Free Girl Scout cookies
Cons
no benefits
challenging but rewarding
Field Executive (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXSeptember 1, 2015
During school was in session have meetings at school campuses to recruit girl scouts and girl scout volunteers. Be available to volunteers for whatever they needed. Keep volunteers abreast of any changes in policies and upcoming events.
Pros
working with volunteers, ability to work independently
Cons
Too many politics within organization, priority is the money the girls raise during the cookie sales. The girls are secondary
great first job for friendly college students
Unit Leader (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMarch 24, 2016
My time spent at Green Forest camp will be some of the best memories of college for me. Not only was the atmosphere very friendly and accommodating to new staff, but I had a lot of opportunities for advancement and learned critical scheduling/time management skills, as well as basic food prep, team-building skills, and CPR and First Aid certified (twice trained in three years of employment)

Want to know more about Girl Scouts of the USA?

Ask a question
Enjoyed working there
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vernon Hills, ILNovember 9, 2015
One hour lunch break. Consistent hours every week. Close to home. Work day was from 8am-5pm. Friendly employees who were eager to help if needed. Employees who were reliable.
Pros
Consistent hours every week. Good benefits.
fullfuilling to work with the girls and volunteers
Product Sales Manager-Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 28, 2015
My co-workers were awesome. Great collaboration and work ethic, Loved working with the product team.

Cookie sale is a huge responsibility, all hands on deck for that 6 weeks.
Pros
healthcare benefits
Cons
little work life balance
accounts payable
Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 23, 2015
There is a big difference in the culture of Girl Scouts there is a culture unlike other places I have worked at. I have changed my way of thinking about how the management team works with in this organization.
Pros
Benefits, PTO Structure
Cons
Managment
Terrible interview experience
Membership and Community Development Manager (Former Employee) –  AlabamaJune 22, 2016
This was definitely the most unprofessional experience I've ever had interviewing with a company. After each interview, it took them weeks to let me know if I've made it to the next part of the process. I first had a phone interview with the Director (sometime in March), then an in-person interview, then another phone interview (with another Director who called me at 8pm one night) and then a month later, I was emailed (out of the blue) to do a Skype interview the same exact day. I told her it was a little short notice because of my work schedule and she told me she would contact me in a few weeks after her PTO. This was May 19th. Almost a month later (June 22nd), I have yet to hear from her. Typical. I have pretty much given up on this position and hate that I wasted my time interviewing with them.
Fun place to work
Girl Scout Program (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 8, 2016
My job would start in the afternoon after school. I had a group of girls that together we did crafts, games, and group activities. I learned how to manage and supervise a small group of children.
The management was always very nice and accommodating. Most of my co-workers went to school and lived on campus with me. Consequently, most of my co-workers were actually my friends outside of work.
The hardest part of the job was that many of the girls were inner city kids that had families with low incomes. This made it difficult for management to plan activities and events. The most enjoyable part of the job was just having fun with the girls by getting involved with all their many activities.
Pros
Having co-workers who were good friends.
Cons
Not always having the money to do all the activities we wanted.
Extremely Stressful Work place
Community Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCFebruary 9, 2016
Job description was changed after 2 and half years. Morning, meetings, phone calls, and emails. Afternoon out of office meetings, and recruitment's or programs. 3 evenings a month meetings. 2 Saturdays a month meetings. Special Events through out the month. I learned a great deal about Volunteer Development and Engagement. My co-workers were all wonderful to work with and truly great people. The hardest part of the job was the constant mirco-management that came along with the new job description and the constant stress and bulling from the CEO, causing tension in the office. The most enjoyable part of the job was working directly with the Volunteers and the Girls.
Pros
new challenges every day
Cons
unprofessional conduct of the upper management and C suite
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Kinnelon, NJFebruary 17, 2016
A typical day at Lake Rickabear Day Camp consists of arriving at 8 am, completing morning waterfront chore duties and starting at 9 am teaching swim lessons. Each swim lesson is 30 minutes long with girls ages ranging from 5 years to 16 years. Swim lessons run from 9am-2pm with a 1 hour lunch break.Then, the lake opens for free swim for 2 hours where girls have to opportunity to swim with their friends. Then the guards clean up the beach and lock up waterfront equipment, then complete an afternoon chore.
Pros
Working with great kids, great staff and being outside and active all day
Cons
Many duties outside of guarding and teaching, disorganized management, and pay below minimum wage.
A great Summer Job!
Resident Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJune 1, 2016
This job was one of the funnest I've had. I was a resident camp counselor, meaning that I stayed at the camp from Sunday afternoon until Friday evening, leaving only Saturday off. It was a lot of fun, although we lived in platform tents without electricity. A typical day consists of waking up around 7am, attending a flag ceremony, followed by breakfast. After breakfast the campers were assigned by group to many different activities depending on the running program for the week. They would meet again for lunch and supper, then for a closing flag ceremony. Lights out was 10pm.
Pros
A lot of fun, free 'room' and meals while there, great group of people to work with
Cons
Pay was poor for a seasonal job, no healthcare offered.
Great place to work at
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 15, 2015
I have learned so much from working here. There is always something to do even on slow days so I am never bored. Everybody is so professional and friendly. Great benefits as well
Pros
friendly coworkers, frequent parties, great benefits
Favorites here
Office, Retail & Product Sales Manager for Wyoming (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYFebruary 25, 2016
Promotions for only those in town of corporate office
Awesome yearly staff retreat
Ceo had little experience in field
Cfo drank herself out of job
Pros
STAFF RETREAT, FLEX TIME, ALL SUPERVISORS IN MT, WORKED ALONE 80% OF TIME
Cons
LOW PAY, NO INSURANCE, COMPANY CAR

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Girl Scouts of the USA. Our community is ready to answer.

Girl Scouts of the USA Reviews by Location