Girl Scouts of the USA Employee Reviews in United States

regional management does not listen to local feet on the ground employees
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXJuly 29, 2016
supervisor for this position has extremely bad habit of not listening to her team members. this supervisor adds job requirements that are NOT in job description at will. this supervisor micro manages this team. this supervisor's ability to listen to her team concerning recruitment in this area of Texas is zero. this job is for someone who likes to be a puppet
Pros
decent pay and benefits
Cons
fort worth supervisor demands too much time from personal family time outside office hours
A great Summer Job!
Resident Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJune 1, 2016
This job was one of the funnest I've had. I was a resident camp counselor, meaning that I stayed at the camp from Sunday afternoon until Friday evening, leaving only Saturday off. It was a lot of fun, although we lived in platform tents without electricity. A typical day consists of waking up around 7am, attending a flag ceremony, followed by breakfast. After breakfast the campers were assigned by group to many different activities depending on the running program for the week. They would meet again for lunch and supper, then for a closing flag ceremony. Lights out was 10pm.
Pros
A lot of fun, free 'room' and meals while there, great group of people to work with
Cons
Pay was poor for a seasonal job, no healthcare offered.
Half the Staff had to Leave Before Management Noticed a Problem
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Mahomet, ILAugust 13, 2016
My co-counselors and assistant director were the best team I have ever worked beside. However, management is not willing to help their employees until the camp is absolutely desperate. For example when three employees step down from their roles within two weeks. The returning staff were given special treatment. They could consistently show up late and disappear during the day without repercussions whereas, if a new staff member was 8 minutes late they would have to scrub toilets. The Girl Scouts organization at least in central Illinois, fails to embody the girl scout law.
Pros
Meet cool people, Girl Scout cookies, S'mores, Opportunity to make a difference in girls lives, Room and Board
Cons
Stressful environment, Favoritism, Bug bites, No wifi in staff lodge
Amazing place to grow confidence, courage, and character
Lead Counselor (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, CAAugust 3, 2016
Being a camp counselor is the most rewarding job I have ever had. The community that is built here has provided me with more self-confidence, courage, and belief in myself than any other experience I've had. The practical and interpersonal skills I've gained will carry me forward through many different kinds of work opportunities.
customer service
CUSTOMER CARE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 20, 2016
customer service.
Answer incoming calls and email requests; engage in problem-solving while providing solutions
Maintain contents of the organization’s solutions library by working cross-functionally with all the departments to provide accurate and up-to-date information
Developed highly empathetic customer relationships and earned a reputation for delivering exceptional customer service
Consistently improve customer satisfaction through expert resolution of conflicts, issues and concerns
Cross-trained and provided back-up for other Customer Care Specialists when needed
Fun place to work
Girl Scout Program (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 8, 2016
My job would start in the afternoon after school. I had a group of girls that together we did crafts, games, and group activities. I learned how to manage and supervise a small group of children.
The management was always very nice and accommodating. Most of my co-workers went to school and lived on campus with me. Consequently, most of my co-workers were actually my friends outside of work.
The hardest part of the job was that many of the girls were inner city kids that had families with low incomes. This made it difficult for management to plan activities and events. The most enjoyable part of the job was just having fun with the girls by getting involved with all their many activities.
Pros
Having co-workers who were good friends.
Cons
Not always having the money to do all the activities we wanted.
Very good way to learn how to deal with other people
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMay 16, 2016
the girl scouts of kentuckiana has given me the experience needed to talk and fully conquer my goals in the future. it wast really a job more like a fun environment to show my skills working with kids. A typical day induced getting campers off the bus es and making sure they get to all the activities scheduled for the day.
Pros
working with people i admire
Cons
parents who didnt agree with the programs
Terrible interview experience
Membership and Community Development Manager (Former Employee) –  AlabamaJune 22, 2016
This was definitely the most unprofessional experience I've ever had interviewing with a company. After each interview, it took them weeks to let me know if I've made it to the next part of the process. I first had a phone interview with the Director (sometime in March), then an in-person interview, then another phone interview (with another Director who called me at 8pm one night) and then a month later, I was emailed (out of the blue) to do a Skype interview the same exact day. I told her it was a little short notice because of my work schedule and she told me she would contact me in a few weeks after her PTO. This was May 19th. Almost a month later (June 22nd), I have yet to hear from her. Typical. I have pretty much given up on this position and hate that I wasted my time interviewing with them.
Productive and challenging work plaace, It was fun
Camp Counselor/Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Holmes, NYMay 16, 2016
I learned a lot about managing a kitchen writing a menu ordering food in large quantities taking inventory it was a lot of fun and challenging at the same time. The hardest part were the short breaks. Working a 6am to 11pm shift was pretty difficult but manageable because of teamwork and the support of coworkers.
Pros
Free food, Days off, Good coworkers
Cons
Short Breaks
Trifecta of Americorps, Girlscouts and Public School AVID program
Americorps AVID Tutor (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAApril 24, 2016
I worked at a public school, so everyday was an adventure. I learned how to push students to discover answers, not give them answers; I learned to negotiate multiple organizations simutaniously; and I learned to do all this with a genuine smile. Somedays were difficult, as you can imagine at a middle school, but not because of staff. The first year I struggled to understand what my GS supervisor required of me, but once I understood, things became more comfortable. Taking intercity girls to the Girl Scouts Environmental Summit was the highlight of my time there.
Pros
Kids
Cons
pay
A diverse work place that encourages learning and leadership.
Administrative Assistant for Product Sales (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 19, 2016
Through my wok with the Girl Scouts I have learned how to work in a diverse environment and different settings. I was able to further my interpersonal and organizational skills. Furthermore, i have been able to work on furthering my leadership skills as well.
I did not work form Girl Scouts of the USA, I worked for Girl Scouts of Utah
Membership Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Ogden, UTJune 24, 2016
GSUSA and GS of Utah are similar but not the same thing. Local council's operate with guidelines from GSUSA, but can tailor things to fit our individual council's needs, therefore, I cannot answer accurately as they are two different entities.
Dont work here
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 22, 2016
If you arent hourly, the pay isnt worth it for the time you put in. Have fun getting a 12 cent raise after all of your hard work. The problem is with upper management. I've had a director who makes you do her school work for her masters program. She has called employees stupid and wishes they had enough money to fire them. HR does nothing. Insperity is useless. Have fun doing other peoples jobs for no increase in pay. They MAY give you a lovely $10 gift card for your extra hard work.
Pros
Awesome PTO-180 hours a year, holidays off, great christmas vacation
Cons
directors are hard to get ahold of due to constant meetings, overworked and overpaid, controlling, loud and annoying volunteers
great first job for friendly college students
Unit Leader (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMarch 24, 2016
My time spent at Green Forest camp will be some of the best memories of college for me. Not only was the atmosphere very friendly and accommodating to new staff, but I had a lot of opportunities for advancement and learned critical scheduling/time management skills, as well as basic food prep, team-building skills, and CPR and First Aid certified (twice trained in three years of employment)
Interesting workplace culture
Camp Counselor/ Unit Leader (Former Employee) –  Mableton, GAMarch 21, 2016
Camp Counselor. Learned a lot about kids with diverse backgrounds. A typical day of work is hectic and you run around after kids all day. You teach three activities per day. You get two hour breaks, but you work all day and are technically still working at night. You are with the kids from sunday evening til saturday morning. Co- workers for the most part are great. I have made life long friends from this job.
Typical Non-profit
Latina Initiative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 30, 2016
I truly believe in the vision of Girl Scouts but just as with all non-profits we have too much work and would love to focus more on the girls getting the best experience and less on trying different things out every year. Also, working with all women can be challenging.
Great way to learn more about Girl Scouts
Public Relations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 6, 2016
After 13 years in Girl Scouts it was great to learn more about the behind the scenes besides badges and camp outs! Working with local troop leaders in the area for events was a great way to continue being involved and help the community.
Positive work environment
Unit Leader (Current Employee) –  Morehead, KYMarch 11, 2016
I was able to educate young girls on the importance of our environment and the importance of STEM education. We practiced and taught team building exercises, and outdoor and wilderness survival skills. The most difficult part of working at the camp was the weather, but we were able to think quick and improvise when needed to continue activities. The most enjoyable part of working for the GSA was knowing that I made a positive impact on a child's life.
Pros
Family type community, positive environment
Cons
n/a
Review of gsmists
Senior Director of Program & Community Development (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 29, 2016
Position description hired for no longer applies with the new Interim CEO. She has a different management style and direction which has impacted our management retention at GSMISTS.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Benefits package is "adequate"
Nice atmosphere, room for advancement
Lead Cashier / Accounting Associate (Former Employee) –  Miquon, Pa.June 20, 2016
Process all checks, credit cards and cash received and posted to the correct General Ledger Account. Assist Accounts Payable entering invoices expense reports, filling vendor invoices and mailing of checks.
Pros
Good benefit package

Girl Scouts of the USA Reviews by Location