Girl Scouts of the USA Employee Reviews

The horse directors "Cowboy" & "Wolfy"
Wrangler / Trail guide (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CASeptember 16, 2016
These two individuals whom I had the pleasure of working with, are outstanding people. They are understanding, caring, and they love the girls and put all their effort into making their week memorable and learning fun... I would not trade the experience of working with these two for anything..
And I loved all the horses and had a blast guiding the trails for these young ladies.. I fell in love with one horse in particular, "Babs" she is a great horse, and I would not hesitate on putting a beginner rider up on this beautiful mare..
Pros
Getting to know all the staff and girls, and riding
Cons
Very long hrs
Benefitial experience in a comfortable atmosphere
Resident Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 15, 2016
Working as a resident camp counselor for Girl Scouts was a trying but rewarding experience. Dealing with the various emotional or physical issues of the children kept me on my toes. I gained experience in matters of teamwork and being a leader. Naturally, it was a very casual workplace environment, so my co-workers and I got along well as friends. Personally, I enjoyed the chance to get creative and invent activities for the children. Whenever I was unsure of anything, I could go to my supervisor for consult.
Pros
Plenty of food, casual environment, fun activites
Cons
Long days, relatively short breaks
Always on your feet
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Maineville, OHSeptember 12, 2016
I love working for Girl Scouts. You learn so many new things while being there. Attending the camp over the summer really opened my eyes to see how much the girls you watch look up to you. Every minute you spend with them is an impact on their lives as well as your own. I also had a blast meeting and hanging out with international staff and learning about their cultures. The food at camp wasn't always the greatest and having to move my stuff all over the place wasn't that awesome, but the memories and all the steps I got on my fitbit was well worth every minute.
Pros
Hanging out with new people from around the world
Cons
Too much drama
Great mix between corporate and creative industries
Fund Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  TexasSeptember 8, 2016
This was my favorite position that I have had. I had great relationships with all of my co-workers, and a really great relationship with my boss. We were all a team working towards the same goals for the company. It was a true team environment and I would love to find a similar situation now.
Pros
Great office location and fun afterhours work events.
Cons
No overtime, with some long hours.
regional management does not listen to local feet on the ground employees
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXJuly 29, 2016
supervisor for this position has extremely bad habit of not listening to her team members. this supervisor adds job requirements that are NOT in job description at will. this supervisor micro manages this team. this supervisor's ability to listen to her team concerning recruitment in this area of Texas is zero. this job is for someone who likes to be a puppet
Pros
decent pay and benefits
Cons
fort worth supervisor demands too much time from personal family time outside office hours
Half the Staff had to Leave Before Management Noticed a Problem
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Mahomet, ILAugust 13, 2016
My co-counselors and assistant director were the best team I have ever worked beside. However, management is not willing to help their employees until the camp is absolutely desperate. For example when three employees step down from their roles within two weeks. The returning staff were given special treatment. They could consistently show up late and disappear during the day without repercussions whereas, if a new staff member was 8 minutes late they would have to scrub toilets. The Girl Scouts organization at least in central Illinois, fails to embody the girl scout law.
Pros
Meet cool people, Girl Scout cookies, S'mores, Opportunity to make a difference in girls lives, Room and Board
Cons
Stressful environment, Favoritism, Bug bites, No wifi in staff lodge
Amazing place to grow confidence, courage, and character
Lead Counselor (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, CAAugust 3, 2016
Being a camp counselor is the most rewarding job I have ever had. The community that is built here has provided me with more self-confidence, courage, and belief in myself than any other experience I've had. The practical and interpersonal skills I've gained will carry me forward through many different kinds of work opportunities.
A great Summer Job!
Resident Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJune 1, 2016
This job was one of the funnest I've had. I was a resident camp counselor, meaning that I stayed at the camp from Sunday afternoon until Friday evening, leaving only Saturday off. It was a lot of fun, although we lived in platform tents without electricity. A typical day consists of waking up around 7am, attending a flag ceremony, followed by breakfast. After breakfast the campers were assigned by group to many different activities depending on the running program for the week. They would meet again for lunch and supper, then for a closing flag ceremony. Lights out was 10pm.
Pros
A lot of fun, free 'room' and meals while there, great group of people to work with
Cons
Pay was poor for a seasonal job, no healthcare offered.
Terrible interview experience
Membership and Community Development Manager (Former Employee) –  AlabamaJune 22, 2016
This was definitely the most unprofessional experience I've ever had interviewing with a company. After each interview, it took them weeks to let me know if I've made it to the next part of the process. I first had a phone interview with the Director (sometime in March), then an in-person interview, then another phone interview (with another Director who called me at 8pm one night) and then a month later, I was emailed (out of the blue) to do a Skype interview the same exact day. I told her it was a little short notice because of my work schedule and she told me she would contact me in a few weeks after her PTO. This was May 19th. Almost a month later (June 22nd), I have yet to hear from her. Typical. I have pretty much given up on this position and hate that I wasted my time interviewing with them.
Fun place to work
Girl Scout Program (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 8, 2016
My job would start in the afternoon after school. I had a group of girls that together we did crafts, games, and group activities. I learned how to manage and supervise a small group of children.
The management was always very nice and accommodating. Most of my co-workers went to school and lived on campus with me. Consequently, most of my co-workers were actually my friends outside of work.
The hardest part of the job was that many of the girls were inner city kids that had families with low incomes. This made it difficult for management to plan activities and events. The most enjoyable part of the job was just having fun with the girls by getting involved with all their many activities.
Pros
Having co-workers who were good friends.
Cons
Not always having the money to do all the activities we wanted.
customer service
CUSTOMER CARE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 20, 2016
customer service.
Answer incoming calls and email requests; engage in problem-solving while providing solutions
Maintain contents of the organization’s solutions library by working cross-functionally with all the departments to provide accurate and up-to-date information
Developed highly empathetic customer relationships and earned a reputation for delivering exceptional customer service
Consistently improve customer satisfaction through expert resolution of conflicts, issues and concerns
Cross-trained and provided back-up for other Customer Care Specialists when needed
Very good way to learn how to deal with other people
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMay 16, 2016
the girl scouts of kentuckiana has given me the experience needed to talk and fully conquer my goals in the future. it wast really a job more like a fun environment to show my skills working with kids. A typical day induced getting campers off the bus es and making sure they get to all the activities scheduled for the day.
Pros
working with people i admire
Cons
parents who didnt agree with the programs
Productive and challenging work plaace, It was fun
Camp Counselor/Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Holmes, NYMay 16, 2016
I learned a lot about managing a kitchen writing a menu ordering food in large quantities taking inventory it was a lot of fun and challenging at the same time. The hardest part were the short breaks. Working a 6am to 11pm shift was pretty difficult but manageable because of teamwork and the support of coworkers.
Pros
Free food, Days off, Good coworkers
Cons
Short Breaks
Wonderful Organization
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 11, 2016
I'm a big believer in values, in which Girl Scouts Builds Girls of Courage, Confidence and Character who makes the world a better place. The opportunities in which they offer through programing for our merging leaders of tomorrow are truly amazing.
Pros
Support through projects
Cons
N/A
Trifecta of Americorps, Girlscouts and Public School AVID program
Americorps AVID Tutor (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAApril 24, 2016
I worked at a public school, so everyday was an adventure. I learned how to push students to discover answers, not give them answers; I learned to negotiate multiple organizations simutaniously; and I learned to do all this with a genuine smile. Somedays were difficult, as you can imagine at a middle school, but not because of staff. The first year I struggled to understand what my GS supervisor required of me, but once I understood, things became more comfortable. Taking intercity girls to the Girl Scouts Environmental Summit was the highlight of my time there.
Pros
Kids
Cons
pay
Great experience
Leader (Former Employee) –  Sumner, IASeptember 21, 2016
I worked with girls to help build self-esteem, to help them and encourage them. It was rewarding and full-filling. You gain a lot of information and understanding on how to build girls up. It was stressful at times spending time with little girls that are young and wild, but very rewarding.
I did not work form Girl Scouts of the USA, I worked for Girl Scouts of Utah
Membership Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Ogden, UTJune 24, 2016
GSUSA and GS of Utah are similar but not the same thing. Local council's operate with guidelines from GSUSA, but can tailor things to fit our individual council's needs, therefore, I cannot answer accurately as they are two different entities.
Fun close group to work with
Membership Recruitment Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 12, 2016
I have had many experiences with Girl Scouts over the course of many years as a professional and as a volunteer. It is always ran by people who are friendly, helpful, considerate and caring. They live the fundamentals of the Girl Scout Law everyday.
Great way to learn more about Girl Scouts
Public Relations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 6, 2016
After 13 years in Girl Scouts it was great to learn more about the behind the scenes besides badges and camp outs! Working with local troop leaders in the area for events was a great way to continue being involved and help the community.
A diverse work place that encourages learning and leadership.
Administrative Assistant for Product Sales (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 19, 2016
Through my wok with the Girl Scouts I have learned how to work in a diverse environment and different settings. I was able to further my interpersonal and organizational skills. Furthermore, i have been able to work on furthering my leadership skills as well.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Girl Scouts of the USA. Our community is ready to answer.

Girl Scouts of the USA Reviews by Location