Girl Scouts of the USA Employee Reviews

All positions impacted as GSUSA works to bridge gap between a dysfunctional culture & its outstanding values, award winning GS Leadership Experience.
Internal Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 3, 2013
I worked with an outstanding team and knowledgeable colleagues at National and the councils to build capacity and support the second century of Girl Scouting. No two days are the same, which attracted me to the position. I learned that the rate of change in the youth services field requires communication and change management to be accelerated, strengthened and ongoing to keep up with and perhaps even get ahead of the curve.

I usually found the change management process tedious, incomplete, poorly integrated and very frustrating. Talented individuals face a constant uphill battle with a dysfunctional culture that waters down the Movement's superb values. Inefficiencies multiply from inadequate leadership, management, communication, funding and technology. The October 1 launch of a new customer-focused, project-based transformation is designed to yield the desired changes in culture and ways of work necessary to support our girls with the award winning Girl Scout Leadership Experience program and materials for another century.

The best part of any job at Girl Scouts is seeing the many ways our GIRLS impact our world.
Pros
know how to develop award winning programs and resource materials even if late to the party.
Cons
need to build effective collaboration with council staff, volunteers, alumni and funders for more timely communication, consensus, changes and funding.
Building courage, character, and confidence
Lead troop meetings at various schools (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 28, 2014
Each day I go to a different school and work with different girls who wouldn't normally have the opportunity to Girl Scouts, I lead activities in order to help girls earn badges and learn about the world around them at the same time. I've learned that all girls are different and they all need a certain amount of attention, I've also learned a lot about my ability to have an impact on a girls life. These meetings aren't conducted in front of my manager typically. It gives me freedom to learn and grow with each group of girls so it's more fitting to the environment. My co-workers are there to provide help if I need it, but we don't often work together. The hardest part of the job is starting it because you have to learn as you go so you can cater to the girls needs. The most gratifying part of this job is watching the girls grow and knowing that you are helping to shape the person they become, and being someone they admire, and trust.
Pros
everything
Cons
no benefits
Great place for training girls.
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Merrillville, INOctober 29, 2012
A typical day required opening the office and insuring my staff was in place. I learned how to interact with all level of children and their parents. For the most part, working as a Supervisor and working with management was very satisfying. I worked well with my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was satisfying the needs of the Girl Scout Leaders. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning all the different types of activities that were involved in girl scouting.
Pros
participating in major company meetings proved to be very valuable.
Cons
with all that is involved with girl scouting procedures, at times, it seemed as though we wouldn't accomplish all that was needed; but, we always accomplish everything.
A very passionate and mission delivery oriented work structure
Manager of Strategic Analysis (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 7, 2014
A typical day involves extracting data based on internal needs and determining the best way to make that readily available to staff to incorporate into decision making as it pertains to program implementation and our strategic initiatives,
The hardest part is getting data into the hands of our staff and users across the country with limited resources. However, the best part is when I can make data readily available and more self-sufficient in getting data they need and/or being able to predict data/information requirements to provide that to our users quickly.
Pros
passionate people
Cons
little room for advancenent
It was a great learning experience growing up.
Member (Former Employee) –  anaheim, CaFebruary 27, 2013
I learned different objectives from joining in the 1st grade until now. We would hold meetings every week on a certain day and talk about up coming events and create different activities from the younger girls. Being in girl scouts gives a large leadership role because you're asked to do so many things that involve being on your own and in charge of a group of girls including yourself. The hardest part would be maintaining a pace. Once you start going, it's hard to stop at the end of the day. The most enjoyable part is seeing people with large smiles on their faces because you get the satisfaction you put that there.
Pros
meeting new people and making friends
Cons
the cliques
Rewarding Work
Chief Executive Officer (Former Employee) –  NDAugust 14, 2012
Leading a regional nonprofit that serves our youth is both challenging and rewarding. Our organization experienced a total organizational review every four years to benchmark progress and to identify strengths and areas of possible growth. This organization provided me with many learning experiences where I gained skills that I can transfer into other job opportunities.

Board members were professional and easy to work with, staff and volunteer support was always strong and our organization regularly met our long range and short term goals.
Pros
working with youth and helping them learn how to succeed in life.
fun experience with horses
equestrian counselor (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 24, 2015
it was fun and an excellent place to learn new skills about horses and what I learned is how to keep girls safe and have a good time on and off horses and manageing was awesome of how they keep their experiences on horses and my co workers are great we help eachother along the way hardest part was a kid falling off a horse a little but also carrying heavy things and their was happyiness all the way around to make sure skills are good for the children and staff for all of use to learn great experiences from the children and good staff
Pros
free meals -breakfast lunch dinner &snacks
I looked forward to seeing the girls. They were always so excited
Executive Field Director (Former Employee) –  Hobbs N.MMarch 3, 2015
There were not to many typical days, but I spent an average amount of time planing events, recruiting adult volunteers, going to my outreach programs at schools, and collaborating with businesses for funding. I had the best boss. She was an asset to Girl Scouts and to all that had the pleasure of working with her . my co- workers were close and always passing ideas around for one another. the most challenging part of the job was recruitment of adult volunteers, and the most rewarding part of my job was seeing the girls happy faces.
building
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Darby, PAJuly 11, 2013
A typical day at volunteering with my girl scouts was we really worked hard to make sure that we served the elderly well when we were caring for them. When we sold cookies , we were committed , it was a fierce competition, because different troops were also selling cookies , plus we were competing against each other.
I learned how to do business , and how to work with others. My fellow volunteers were great. The hardiest part I would have to say is leaving the girl scouts. The most enjoyable part was getting together on different activities.
Pros
free lunches, nice trips
Cons
non
Enjoyable work
Secretary (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 2, 2012
I was secretary to the International Coordinator. I translated Spanish and French correspondence and assisted the Coordinator in the orientation and debriefing of outgoing and returning scouts on international trips. I would occasionally take scouts to the airports for their trips and pick them up on their way back. My co-workers were very easy to work with. Most enjoyable was interacting with all the young scouts and talking with them about their adventures.
Pros
exciting, positive work
Fun with Girl Scouts Inc.
Being A Girl Scout (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 28, 2015
A typical day doing Girl Scouts was having a Yard Sale by the Church and Girl Scout Cookie Selling. I learned the art of communication and the management was great. My other girl scout troupers were fun and they made the experience special for me. The hardest part of the job was going on camping trips and the most enjoyable part of the job was having fun communicating with others and helping our community.
Pros
Free Lunch, Breaks, Laughter
Cons
Camping
This was not a job at all obviously, but seeing as I have not yet had a job this is one of my life experiences.
Cookie Sales (Former Employee) –  San FranciscoNovember 4, 2014
Learned how to sell cookies and other merchandise on he streets,
and how to be a good leader with great compromising skills so that everyone is happy. Learn great team building skills and how to handle "serious" jobs.
**Note, pay no real attention to any of my rating see and none of these experiences have any real dealings with past jobs.
Pros
free lunches, and camping trips.
Being a Girl Scout leader is one of the most rewarding things I have ever done.
Troop Leader (Current Employee) –  King, NCDecember 17, 2014
My position with Girl Scouts includes planning and organizing meetings as well as setting up camping trips and leading the girls and teach them important life skills. The girls have also taught me so many things like to live so much more than I have been. I enjoy leading the girls and making their lives so much better.
Pros
leadership, learning, making goals, making my life so much easier
Positive work experience. Was able to teach children.
Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 9, 2015
Working for Girl Scouts was a wonderful experience. Upon accepting the job offer, there were certain responsibilities that I was not made aware of. Still, I fell in love with the job and was able to work with adults and children. I loved being able to provide assistance to the children. I was happy to make a difference in the community. Management was excellent.
fun place and worked with children
volunteer (Former Employee) –  Lufkin, TXOctober 2, 2014
Helped Children have a fun experience making friends and crafts. I learned how to deal with children with all different abilities and backgrounds. Every one you worked with was nice. The hardest part was trying to help girls who were getting frustrated in an activities The most enjoyable was working with girls and helping them learn and grow every day.
Pros
working with children
Positive Autmosphere with a Fabulous Drive!
Registration & Data Analyst Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 1, 2014
Working at Girl Scouts had so many positives! The inspiration for success floats through the air in the office building! The team members encourage new ideas and allow for those ideas to come to life! The collaboration is breath-taking, which is why GS is so successful today! They truly stand by the Girl Scout Promise!
Pros
positive culture
Great place to teach, work ,and play
Program Provider (Current Employee) –  Colfax, NCDecember 23, 2012
I love it! A typical day at work start with the girls and songs.
I have learned even as an adults some times we eneed to keep our in child live. I love the management.The hardest part of the job is staying away from personal relationships with the families.The most enjoyable part of the job I seeing the differance to can make in a childs life as a positive role model.
Helping out the community
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOMarch 5, 2013
I would go in and help my troop earn badges and with cookie sales both of my daughters were in Girl Scouts and loved it so I joined as a leader.Its great getting to work with kids.learned alot with the Girl Scouts but most of all about helping the community.There wasnt anything hard about it I just enjoy helping the Kids and Community
Pros
helping community and working with kids.
A once in a lifetime experience.
Girl Scout Camp Leader (Former Employee) –  Potawatomi Hills, WIMay 23, 2015
Working for the girl scouts was definitely an experience that I had never had before. I helped watch a troop of young girls, aged about eight years old, through activities and meals. It wad definitely different from babysitting seeing as it was a medium sized group of girls. It was a lot of fun, and loved spending time helping teach these young kids.
Great life lessons learned
Co-Leader (Former Employee) –  Dracut, MANovember 13, 2015
All of my leaders have been very nice and made me feel like a part of the group. I have used what I learned from the girl scouts more than I can even explain. Its a very good place to bond with other girls your age and do fun and exciting things on your journey.
Pros
Spending time with girls like you
Cons
It can be challenging to manage all of your commitments as you grow older

4.5