Girl Scouts of the USA Employee Reviews

Dont work here
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 22, 2016
If you arent hourly, the pay isnt worth it for the time you put in. Have fun getting a 12 cent raise after all of your hard work. The problem is with upper management. I've had a director who makes you do her school work for her masters program. She has called employees stupid and wishes they had enough money to fire them. HR does nothing. Insperity is useless. Have fun doing other peoples jobs for no increase in pay. They MAY give you a lovely $10 gift card for your extra hard work.
Pros
Awesome PTO-180 hours a year, holidays off, great christmas vacation
Cons
directors are hard to get ahold of due to constant meetings, overworked and overpaid, controlling, loud and annoying volunteers
Not what you think
Membership Representative (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 14, 2016
The environment is toxic, I've never seen such turnover or poor morale. Extremely low pay (they don't give raises), the expectation to work several nights per week meeting with troop leaders, the requirement to attend meetings and events in other regions with no comp time off, and an egomaniacle "CEO" who is one of the most difficult people that I've encountered in my entire life and career. I couldn't wait to get out!
Pros
Cookies
Cons
Everything else!
Enjoyable Volunteer Work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAMarch 24, 2016
Volunteer work is always a must with the girlscouts. It's fun and helps raise funds for you and your troops. Downside is standing long hours and walking door to door, and can be abit discouraging if someone deny your troop.
Passionate people, troubled management
Outdoor and STEM Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJanuary 19, 2016
This was an incredibly rewarding company to work for, although at the time I was with this organization the management was under turmoil, which made managing programs difficult. Training program for new employees needed work. Expect to work evenings and weekends, but with comp time. Great vacation benefits.
Pros
Vacation time
Cons
Low matching for retirement plan
Rewarding career and positive mission
Director (Current Employee) –  Macedonia, OHNovember 9, 2015
Work days can be long for certain positions.
CEO is supportive of professional development and advancement from within.
Generous holidays and PTO. Compensation is good for a nonprofit. Great mission that drives the day to day operations and strategic direction.
The Member Engagement Specialist is a newer position that combines customer service and sales, in the sense that adults are often needed to fill troop volunteer roles and that takes some convincing.
Pros
Advancement from within, PTO and holidays, mission
Cons
Small number of paid staff, reliance on volunteers
Hard work where you get paid the most in the experience, rather than actual income.
Membership Development Executive (Current Employee) –  College Station, TXOctober 14, 2015
It is definitely a stepping stone kind of job for someone who might not be sure what they want to make a career out of yet. If you have been in the work force for a great deal of time already, I would not recommend taking on this position as you can easily get to the point where you feel a bit stuck. Everyone who works in this particular company are all very talented and very brilliant...which in many cases has proven to be a set back because sometimes to complete one task, there are too many people included in the mix. Overall not a bad job, but not the kind you want to make a career out of unless you genuinely like working way more than you get paid in the long run of things.
Pros
Fantastic benefits.
Cons
No possibility of a pay raise.
Great atmosphere and environment, it's Girl Scouts!
Outreach Leader (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 20, 2015
Girl Scouts Heart of Central California was one of my most pleasurable employments by far in life. The work environment was always filled with positive energy, and implementing programs for young adolescent girls to succeed in life was a rewarding experience in its own. My typical work day consisted of ensuring the provision of age appropriate activities by coordinating and assigning activities to meet the developmental needs and interests of participants. Maintaining all paperwork and records be submitted by specific deadlines. To empower and motivate girls to become strong, independent leaders.
Pros
Free Girl Scout cookies
Cons
no benefits
Half the Staff had to Leave Before Management Noticed a Problem
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Mahomet, ILAugust 13, 2016
My co-counselors and assistant director were the best team I have ever worked beside. However, management is not willing to help their employees until the camp is absolutely desperate. For example when three employees step down from their roles within two weeks. The returning staff were given special treatment. They could consistently show up late and disappear during the day without repercussions whereas, if a new staff member was 8 minutes late they would have to scrub toilets. The Girl Scouts organization at least in central Illinois, fails to embody the girl scout law.
Pros
Meet cool people, Girl Scout cookies, S'mores, Opportunity to make a difference in girls lives, Room and Board
Cons
Stressful environment, Favoritism, Bug bites, No wifi in staff lodge
Terrible interview experience
Membership and Community Development Manager (Former Employee) –  AlabamaJune 22, 2016
This was definitely the most unprofessional experience I've ever had interviewing with a company. After each interview, it took them weeks to let me know if I've made it to the next part of the process. I first had a phone interview with the Director (sometime in March), then an in-person interview, then another phone interview (with another Director who called me at 8pm one night) and then a month later, I was emailed (out of the blue) to do a Skype interview the same exact day. I told her it was a little short notice because of my work schedule and she told me she would contact me in a few weeks after her PTO. This was May 19th. Almost a month later (June 22nd), I have yet to hear from her. Typical. I have pretty much given up on this position and hate that I wasted my time interviewing with them.
Benefitial experience in a comfortable atmosphere
Resident Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 15, 2016
Working as a resident camp counselor for Girl Scouts was a trying but rewarding experience. Dealing with the various emotional or physical issues of the children kept me on my toes. I gained experience in matters of teamwork and being a leader. Naturally, it was a very casual workplace environment, so my co-workers and I got along well as friends. Personally, I enjoyed the chance to get creative and invent activities for the children. Whenever I was unsure of anything, I could go to my supervisor for consult.
Pros
Plenty of food, casual environment, fun activites
Cons
Long days, relatively short breaks
Always on your feet
Counselor (Current Employee) –  Maineville, OHSeptember 12, 2016
I love working for Girl Scouts. You learn so many new things while being there. Attending the camp over the summer really opened my eyes to see how much the girls you watch look up to you. Every minute you spend with them is an impact on their lives as well as your own. I also had a blast meeting and hanging out with international staff and learning about their cultures. The food at camp wasn't always the greatest and having to move my stuff all over the place wasn't that awesome, but the memories and all the steps I got on my fitbit was well worth every minute.
Pros
Hanging out with new people from around the world
Cons
Too much drama
Fun place to work
Girl Scout Program (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 8, 2016
My job would start in the afternoon after school. I had a group of girls that together we did crafts, games, and group activities. I learned how to manage and supervise a small group of children.
The management was always very nice and accommodating. Most of my co-workers went to school and lived on campus with me. Consequently, most of my co-workers were actually my friends outside of work.
The hardest part of the job was that many of the girls were inner city kids that had families with low incomes. This made it difficult for management to plan activities and events. The most enjoyable part of the job was just having fun with the girls by getting involved with all their many activities.
Pros
Having co-workers who were good friends.
Cons
Not always having the money to do all the activities we wanted.
The horse directors "Cowboy" & "Wolfy"
Wrangler / Trail guide (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CASeptember 16, 2016
These two individuals whom I had the pleasure of working with, are outstanding people. They are understanding, caring, and they love the girls and put all their effort into making their week memorable and learning fun... I would not trade the experience of working with these two for anything..
And I loved all the horses and had a blast guiding the trails for these young ladies.. I fell in love with one horse in particular, "Babs" she is a great horse, and I would not hesitate on putting a beginner rider up on this beautiful mare..
Pros
Getting to know all the staff and girls, and riding
Cons
Very long hrs
great first job for friendly college students
Unit Leader (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMarch 24, 2016
My time spent at Green Forest camp will be some of the best memories of college for me. Not only was the atmosphere very friendly and accommodating to new staff, but I had a lot of opportunities for advancement and learned critical scheduling/time management skills, as well as basic food prep, team-building skills, and CPR and First Aid certified (twice trained in three years of employment)
A great Summer Job!
Resident Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJune 1, 2016
This job was one of the funnest I've had. I was a resident camp counselor, meaning that I stayed at the camp from Sunday afternoon until Friday evening, leaving only Saturday off. It was a lot of fun, although we lived in platform tents without electricity. A typical day consists of waking up around 7am, attending a flag ceremony, followed by breakfast. After breakfast the campers were assigned by group to many different activities depending on the running program for the week. They would meet again for lunch and supper, then for a closing flag ceremony. Lights out was 10pm.
Pros
A lot of fun, free 'room' and meals while there, great group of people to work with
Cons
Pay was poor for a seasonal job, no healthcare offered.
challenging but rewarding
Field Executive (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXSeptember 1, 2015
During school was in session have meetings at school campuses to recruit girl scouts and girl scout volunteers. Be available to volunteers for whatever they needed. Keep volunteers abreast of any changes in policies and upcoming events.
Pros
working with volunteers, ability to work independently
Cons
Too many politics within organization, priority is the money the girls raise during the cookie sales. The girls are secondary
regional management does not listen to local feet on the ground employees
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXJuly 29, 2016
supervisor for this position has extremely bad habit of not listening to her team members. this supervisor adds job requirements that are NOT in job description at will. this supervisor micro manages this team. this supervisor's ability to listen to her team concerning recruitment in this area of Texas is zero. this job is for someone who likes to be a puppet
Pros
decent pay and benefits
Cons
fort worth supervisor demands too much time from personal family time outside office hours
customer service
CUSTOMER CARE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 20, 2016
customer service.
Answer incoming calls and email requests; engage in problem-solving while providing solutions
Maintain contents of the organization’s solutions library by working cross-functionally with all the departments to provide accurate and up-to-date information
Developed highly empathetic customer relationships and earned a reputation for delivering exceptional customer service
Consistently improve customer satisfaction through expert resolution of conflicts, issues and concerns
Cross-trained and provided back-up for other Customer Care Specialists when needed
Enjoyed working there
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vernon Hills, ILNovember 9, 2015
One hour lunch break. Consistent hours every week. Close to home. Work day was from 8am-5pm. Friendly employees who were eager to help if needed. Employees who were reliable.
Pros
Consistent hours every week. Good benefits.
fullfuilling to work with the girls and volunteers
Product Sales Manager-Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 28, 2015
My co-workers were awesome. Great collaboration and work ethic, Loved working with the product team.

Cookie sale is a huge responsibility, all hands on deck for that 6 weeks.
Pros
healthcare benefits
Cons
little work life balance

Girl Scouts of the USA Reviews by Location