Girl Scouts of the USA Employee Reviews

Good
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Harrisville, NYSeptember 19, 2017
Working as a camp counselor for the girl scouts was a great summer experience and job. It allowed you to learn how to manage a group of people and your time wisely.
Girl Scouts Needs to Modernize
Intern (Former Employee) –  Riverdale, NJSeptember 19, 2017
Girl Scouts has a wonderful mission. However, There is a disconnect with modern life. It can no longer rely on a model where stay-at-home moms volunteer to lead each troop.
In General
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 18, 2017
I love working with GS and always have been. Ever since I have bridged to an adult, I can now do more than I could have done with the troops and the girls. I am now the Teen Representative for my Older Girl Scout Committee for my service unit because I wanted a committee for older girls.
Pros
working with other girls, flexible
Cons
not everyone can agree, schdules are crazy
Fun workplace
Community Engagement Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 16, 2017
I enjoyed working at Gssjc very much, the opportunities to expand knowledge and also to network are endless, but having a life balance is difficult as a Community Engagement Manager.
Pros
great vacation package
Cons
difficult to balance life for the hours required on this position
Working at camp is the most stressful job but extremely rewarding!
Equine Director (Current Employee) –  Boone, IASeptember 15, 2017
You wake up, wake the campers up and get them ready for the day. You take them to flag and then sing songs(camp sing) until breakfast is ready. Have breakfast and then do chores. After chores you do what ever you had planned for morning activities. Then it's time for camp sing and lunch. After lunch is down time to relax and then you do what ever you had planned for afternoon activities. Then is camp sing and dinner. After dinner there are various activities throughout the week. Then you get the campers ready for bed and you go around giving them goodnights. Then you debrief the day with your unit leader and unit councilors. Go to bed and do it all again the next day.
I've learned so many things at camp, I don't know where to begin.
You become family and they stay that way.
Hardest thing is the emotional stress, like homesick campers.
Most enjoyable part is seeing the campers grow every year they come back and having fun with them each summer.
Pros
Housing and meals provided and a different work environment everyday
Wonderful volunteer experience
Troop Founder/Leader (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCSeptember 15, 2017
This was a wonderful volunteer experience. Having two girls it was great being able to provide experiences for them,and the other girls involved, that were focused towards empowering girls and developing strong self esteem and sense of self.
Pros
Opportunity to help develop strong women
Cons
Don't care about their employees
District Director (Former Employee) –  North DakotaSeptember 12, 2017
The leadership team has one goal to make themselves as much money as possible. They have unrealistic expectations tthat they set for the staff to achieve. They say to do thisngs one way and then tell the volunteers another.
Pros
Office job
Cons
Pay, Leadership team
Everyone loves the Girl Scouts
Event Planner (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MISeptember 11, 2017
First of all this is a volunteer experience. I found it professionally fulfilling. Everyone loves the Girl SAcouts. The businesses I approached for donations for the Annua Bake-Off Gala gave without hesitation; and the actual Gals was well attended.
Amazing
Unit Counsellor (Former Employee) –  TennesseeSeptember 11, 2017
I worked as a unit counsellor at a Camp in Tennessee. I had the most amazing summer! My colleagues were so welcoming and helpful, and my camp director was great fun. Overall, it was hard work but I had an amazing time.
Membership Director/Marketing and Recruitment
Membership Director/Marketing and Recruitment (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CASeptember 8, 2017
Membership Director/Marketing and Recruitment.
Led promotional and education programs including marketing collateral required to promote Girl Scouts in the Central Valley.
Increased membership locally and nationally by developing workshops and leading training to work directly with outreach programs and volunteers. Strategically placed volunteers to optimize activity outcomes.
Implemented Memoranda of Understanding with local schools and non-profits to support operational partnerships and grants.
Led staffing and employee engagement for 15 employees and over 35 volunteers.
Worked with the Fund Development Director on education and training curriculum. Collaborated in development strategies, training program materials and grants.
Pros
Working with the volunteers and the comunity
Cons
Lots of weekends
I have had a great experience volunteering.
Leader (Current Employee) –  Williston, VTSeptember 8, 2017
I continue to lead this small group of girls. We have done many community service projects and planned and participated in educational activities to earn badges. We are currently fundraising for a trip to Rome.
The work day was never the same
Information Technology Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLSeptember 7, 2017
The work environment was always in a state of change - at times it was extremely busy, and at other times it was very slow. There was always something interesting to do to assist others.
Great place to volunteer
Cadette Girl DScout (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CASeptember 6, 2017
I enjoyed my experiences with Girl Scouts, both as a scout (Silver Award Recipient) and as a volunteer (assisting at day camps, selling cookies, etc).
I would recommend scouting to all girls.
A bad place to work
Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 6, 2017
Dysfunctional management, lack of growth and development, unrealistic expectations and leadership that clearly doesn't understand the work involved from direct reports.
Liked the job, but management made life miserable
Membership Manager/Outreach Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 3, 2017
Organization was great at first, but when the nationwide restructuring plan went into effect, the org. went downhill. The volunteers and girl membership dropped and the pressure put on the employees was terrible. The pensions were frozen, and constant changes were made to attempt to improve the membership, but to no avail. Camps were being sold, to the distress of the volunteers and the girl scouts. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the volunteers and girl scouts. Seeing the girls that stayed earn their Silver and Gold awards was awesome! Everyone that had been employed there at the start of the restructuring had found other employment by the end of 2015.
Pros
Flfexibility
Cons
Management - from the CEO down to middle management
Awesome place to work. Lots of life lessons and experiences
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  TexasSeptember 3, 2017
I loved working at Girl scouts in Texas. Being responsible for a group of young girls and giving them opportunities to learn things and have fun is amazing. The work days are long but very rewarding. Hardest part of the job was the long nights staying up with the sleepless girls. The best part of the job was watching the girls leave at the end of their week and seeing how far they have come and what they have accomplished.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Laid back, business casual, decent staff
MVP Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Traverse City, MISeptember 1, 2017
If you want to work non profit this may be for you. Chance to work with girls of all ages. Not too much room for advancement and the raises are not great.
Pros
Good vacation time and sick time
I loved working at camp
Camp Counselor (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Gilbertsville, PAAugust 31, 2017
Camp was a great place to work and I would recommend the experience to anyone who likes camping and kids! It was a great opportunity to help kids grow and learn as well as learning a few things myself.
Best staff and strong management
Program Director, Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Big Rock, ILAugust 30, 2017
A typical day at work was exhausting but fun. The staff and management was fun, reliable, and relentlessly supportive. It is a 22hr/day job with 2 hr breaks and you need to enjoy working with children. But if you like children, learning new things, and the outdoors it's a great place to work.
Fantastic Mission but work load is excessive
Membership Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mableton, GAAugust 29, 2017
I loved working here for so long. The organization went through a sustainability restructure without giving extensive thought to the effect on the enormous volunteer structure. This alienated many volunteers and increased the workload more than it was already.
Pros
Mission, vision, culture, people
Cons
amount of overtime, non loyal management