Girl Scouts of the USA Employee Reviews in United States

A great Summer Job!
Resident Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJune 1, 2016
This job was one of the funnest I've had. I was a resident camp counselor, meaning that I stayed at the camp from Sunday afternoon until Friday evening, leaving only Saturday off. It was a lot of fun, although we lived in platform tents without electricity. A typical day consists of waking up around 7am, attending a flag ceremony, followed by breakfast. After breakfast the campers were assigned by group to many different activities depending on the running program for the week. They would meet again for lunch and supper, then for a closing flag ceremony. Lights out was 10pm.
Pros
A lot of fun, free 'room' and meals while there, great group of people to work with
Cons
Pay was poor for a seasonal job, no healthcare offered.
customer service
CUSTOMER CARE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 20, 2016
customer service.
Answer incoming calls and email requests; engage in problem-solving while providing solutions
Maintain contents of the organization’s solutions library by working cross-functionally with all the departments to provide accurate and up-to-date information
Developed highly empathetic customer relationships and earned a reputation for delivering exceptional customer service
Consistently improve customer satisfaction through expert resolution of conflicts, issues and concerns
Cross-trained and provided back-up for other Customer Care Specialists when needed
Very good way to learn how to deal with other people
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMay 16, 2016
the girl scouts of kentuckiana has given me the experience needed to talk and fully conquer my goals in the future. it wast really a job more like a fun environment to show my skills working with kids. A typical day induced getting campers off the bus es and making sure they get to all the activities scheduled for the day.
Pros
working with people i admire
Cons
parents who didnt agree with the programs
Productive and challenging work plaace, It was fun
Camp Counselor/Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Holmes, NYMay 16, 2016
I learned a lot about managing a kitchen writing a menu ordering food in large quantities taking inventory it was a lot of fun and challenging at the same time. The hardest part were the short breaks. Working a 6am to 11pm shift was pretty difficult but manageable because of teamwork and the support of coworkers.
Pros
Free food, Days off, Good coworkers
Cons
Short Breaks
Fun place to work
Girl Scout Program (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 8, 2016
My job would start in the afternoon after school. I had a group of girls that together we did crafts, games, and group activities. I learned how to manage and supervise a small group of children.
The management was always very nice and accommodating. Most of my co-workers went to school and lived on campus with me. Consequently, most of my co-workers were actually my friends outside of work.
The hardest part of the job was that many of the girls were inner city kids that had families with low incomes. This made it difficult for management to plan activities and events. The most enjoyable part of the job was just having fun with the girls by getting involved with all their many activities.
Pros
Having co-workers who were good friends.
Cons
Not always having the money to do all the activities we wanted.
Trifecta of Americorps, Girlscouts and Public School AVID program
Americorps AVID Tutor (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAApril 24, 2016
I worked at a public school, so everyday was an adventure. I learned how to push students to discover answers, not give them answers; I learned to negotiate multiple organizations simutaniously; and I learned to do all this with a genuine smile. Somedays were difficult, as you can imagine at a middle school, but not because of staff. The first year I struggled to understand what my GS supervisor required of me, but once I understood, things became more comfortable. Taking intercity girls to the Girl Scouts Environmental Summit was the highlight of my time there.
Pros
Kids
Cons
pay
Terrible interview experience
Membership and Community Development Manager (Former Employee) –  AlabamaJune 22, 2016
This was definitely the most unprofessional experience I've ever had interviewing with a company. After each interview, it took them weeks to let me know if I've made it to the next part of the process. I first had a phone interview with the Director (sometime in March), then an in-person interview, then another phone interview (with another Director who called me at 8pm one night) and then a month later, I was emailed (out of the blue) to do a Skype interview the same exact day. I told her it was a little short notice because of my work schedule and she told me she would contact me in a few weeks after her PTO. This was May 19th. Almost a month later (June 22nd), I have yet to hear from her. Typical. I have pretty much given up on this position and hate that I wasted my time interviewing with them.
Dont work here
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 22, 2016
If you arent hourly, the pay isnt worth it for the time you put in. Have fun getting a 12 cent raise after all of your hard work. The problem is with upper management. I've had a director who makes you do her school work for her masters program. She has called employees stupid and wishes they had enough money to fire them. HR does nothing. Insperity is useless. Have fun doing other peoples jobs for no increase in pay. They MAY give you a lovely $10 gift card for your extra hard work.
Pros
Awesome PTO-180 hours a year, holidays off, great christmas vacation
Cons
directors are hard to get ahold of due to constant meetings, overworked and overpaid, controlling, loud and annoying volunteers
A diverse work place that encourages learning and leadership.
Administrative Assistant for Product Sales (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 19, 2016
Through my wok with the Girl Scouts I have learned how to work in a diverse environment and different settings. I was able to further my interpersonal and organizational skills. Furthermore, i have been able to work on furthering my leadership skills as well.
great first job for friendly college students
Unit Leader (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMarch 24, 2016
My time spent at Green Forest camp will be some of the best memories of college for me. Not only was the atmosphere very friendly and accommodating to new staff, but I had a lot of opportunities for advancement and learned critical scheduling/time management skills, as well as basic food prep, team-building skills, and CPR and First Aid certified (twice trained in three years of employment)
Interesting workplace culture
Camp Counselor/ Unit Leader (Former Employee) –  Mableton, GAMarch 21, 2016
Camp Counselor. Learned a lot about kids with diverse backgrounds. A typical day of work is hectic and you run around after kids all day. You teach three activities per day. You get two hour breaks, but you work all day and are technically still working at night. You are with the kids from sunday evening til saturday morning. Co- workers for the most part are great. I have made life long friends from this job.
Positive work environment
Unit Leader (Current Employee) –  Morehead, KYMarch 11, 2016
I was able to educate young girls on the importance of our environment and the importance of STEM education. We practiced and taught team building exercises, and outdoor and wilderness survival skills. The most difficult part of working at the camp was the weather, but we were able to think quick and improvise when needed to continue activities. The most enjoyable part of working for the GSA was knowing that I made a positive impact on a child's life.
Pros
Family type community, positive environment
Cons
n/a
I did not work form Girl Scouts of the USA, I worked for Girl Scouts of Utah
Membership Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Ogden, UTJune 24, 2016
GSUSA and GS of Utah are similar but not the same thing. Local council's operate with guidelines from GSUSA, but can tailor things to fit our individual council's needs, therefore, I cannot answer accurately as they are two different entities.
Typical Non-profit
Latina Initiative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 30, 2016
I truly believe in the vision of Girl Scouts but just as with all non-profits we have too much work and would love to focus more on the girls getting the best experience and less on trying different things out every year. Also, working with all women can be challenging.
great source of early experience and opportunities
Girl scout (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaFebruary 16, 2016
As a Girl Scout, there are many opportunities to travel and meet all kinds of great people. Selling cookies promotes positive outcomes for hard work, and prepares one to handle money, customers, and consumer products correctly. Being a member of a Girl Scout troop provides experience and understanding for what it's like working with a team to get goals met.
Pros
Cookie prizes, camp, meeting new people, learning new things
Cons
decisions are decided as a group
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Kinnelon, NJFebruary 17, 2016
A typical day at Lake Rickabear Day Camp consists of arriving at 8 am, completing morning waterfront chore duties and starting at 9 am teaching swim lessons. Each swim lesson is 30 minutes long with girls ages ranging from 5 years to 16 years. Swim lessons run from 9am-2pm with a 1 hour lunch break.Then, the lake opens for free swim for 2 hours where girls have to opportunity to swim with their friends. Then the guards clean up the beach and lock up waterfront equipment, then complete an afternoon chore.
Pros
Working with great kids, great staff and being outside and active all day
Cons
Many duties outside of guarding and teaching, disorganized management, and pay below minimum wage.
Nice atmosphere, room for advancement
Lead Cashier / Accounting Associate (Former Employee) –  Miquon, Pa.June 20, 2016
Process all checks, credit cards and cash received and posted to the correct General Ledger Account. Assist Accounts Payable entering invoices expense reports, filling vendor invoices and mailing of checks.
Pros
Good benefit package
Not what you think
Membership Representative (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 14, 2016
The environment is toxic, I've never seen such turnover or poor morale. Extremely low pay (they don't give raises), the expectation to work several nights per week meeting with troop leaders, the requirement to attend meetings and events in other regions with no comp time off, and an egomaniacle "CEO" who is one of the most difficult people that I've encountered in my entire life and career. I couldn't wait to get out!
Pros
Cookies
Cons
Everything else!
A job with wonderful kids
Life guard (Former Employee) –  Lees Summit, MOApril 2, 2016
This job was nice because I was able to teach kids about safety around water as well as just being able to interact with them. Sitting by the poolside was also a bonus. Fresh air was the best thing about this job. I love to work outside and as a girl scout life guard, I was able to spend every day outside by the poolside.
life lesson
Troop Leader (Former Employee) –  White Lake, MIFebruary 3, 2016
It was fun helping girls learn and work on building confidence, self esteem and leadership skills.

The hardest part of the job for me was trying to create lessons that worked for my specific troop as I had all ages and what can be explained one way to 9+ is not as easy to explain to 5 and 6 year olds.
The best part of the job was when the craft we were doing would "click" with the girls and they could understand why it applied to the lesson we were learning.

Girl Scouts of the USA Reviews by Location