Girl Scouts of the USA Employee Reviews

Fun workplace
Western Washington -Retail Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Bremerton, WANovember 1, 2016
I have been active in the Girl Scouts for over 7 years when my daughter joined as a Daisy. Being a part of the organization I have made a lot of new friends that I consider family. Working in the store I enjoy helping people find the things they needs, whether they are brand new to Girl Scouts or just moving up to the next level. Being a SAHM for so many years I have enjoyed getting back into the workplace and being with adults.
Pros
The people
Cons
benefits, only work one day a week
Very good job working with young girls who were being molded into young women
Camp ranger (Former Employee) –  Grenada,msNovember 11, 2016
Girl Scouts was a very unique experience for me. When I was hired in December of 2006 there was no one to teach me or tell me exactly what my job was so I had a few trial and error moments.
Pros
Good benefits, great staff, and CEO was great
Cons
Changing too fast and not about girls more about bottom line
Good place to work.
Business Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 26, 2017
Working here has its benefits, the pay is not competitive but the benefits are good. Your coworkers are friendly and the management goes the extra mile to help you out.
Great work life balance especially for employees that have children
Internal Recruitment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Greensburg, PADecember 19, 2016
Great place to work although there is not a lot of advancement opportunities. Membership has been on the decline over the last 10 years. We do not get compensated for if we outperform our goals. I have learned how a non-profit works and have experienced an operational reorganization just last year. The hardest part of the job is working hard to obtain my overall performance goals, and not get a monetary increase for my performance. The most enjoyable part of the job is my supervisor who encourages us to think outside of the box and always asks for your input into our processes and everyday work.
Pros
great work life balance; lots of vacation time
Cons
no monetary increase in pay for outstanding performance
regional management does not listen to local feet on the ground employees
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXJuly 29, 2016
supervisor for this position has extremely bad habit of not listening to her team members. this supervisor adds job requirements that are NOT in job description at will. this supervisor micro manages this team. this supervisor's ability to listen to her team concerning recruitment in this area of Texas is zero. this job is for someone who likes to be a puppet
Pros
decent pay and benefits
Cons
fort worth supervisor demands too much time from personal family time outside office hours
Good People
Development Database Analyst - Consultant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 26, 2017
Nice people. Good cause. If you want to work for a non-profit, then your heart should be in it. Compensation should not be your motivator.
Great Job
Retail Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 26, 2016
I loved my job itself. The customers were amazing. I liked my coworkers. But I was not a fan of my boss. I learned a lot while I was working there.
Pros
Customers, Benefits, Holiday Time
Cons
Pay, Management
Review of gsmists
Senior Director of Program & Community Development (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 29, 2016
Position description hired for no longer applies with the new Interim CEO. She has a different management style and direction which has impacted our management retention at GSMISTS.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Benefits package is "adequate"
Dont work here
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 22, 2016
If you arent hourly, the pay isnt worth it for the time you put in. Have fun getting a 12 cent raise after all of your hard work. The problem is with upper management. I've had a director who makes you do her school work for her masters program. She has called employees stupid and wishes they had enough money to fire them. HR does nothing. Insperity is useless. Have fun doing other peoples jobs for no increase in pay. They MAY give you a lovely $10 gift card for your extra hard work.
Pros
Awesome PTO-180 hours a year, holidays off, great christmas vacation
Cons
directors are hard to get ahold of due to constant meetings, overworked and overpaid, controlling, loud and annoying volunteers
Family atmostphere
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 7, 2016
the work culture and environment is excellent and the challenging and innovative work keeps everyday interesting and exciting. Directors are not micromanagers and you directly have an impact on the members you serve.
Cons
salary

Want to know more about Girl Scouts of the USA?

Ask a question
Nice to work here
Members Specialist (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CA 92618June 28, 2016
The company allows for Flex scheduling an has good benefits. Overall fun environment with a cooperative attitude. This office strives to be inclusive in all desicions made.
Pros
Birthday - Holiday celebrations
Cons
Long hours for a few months out of the year.
Revolving door
Retail Shop Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 23, 2016
Fun to work with the leaders/volunteers and to make a difference for girls. I learned that women in power in the workplace have issues a lot of times. Management is very rigid and corporate. I think they forget who they are and what they are there for. There are some wonderful people there, but they won't stay. They will either move on when they grow tired of the drama, or they get cut like a lot of us have. The hardest part was the low pay and the drama (extremely high amount of turnover) if you aren't in the club, you will be let go. The best part is working with people who volunteer their time to help girls. Too bad the machine doesn't treat their employees with half the respect they preach and pretend to authenticate.
Not as good as it sounds
Unit Leader (Former Employee) –  Papillion, NEOctober 16, 2016
I enjoyed working with the kids, however that was the only positive. Coworkers were moody and emotional, management literally said "quit, you gotta do what you gotta do". Do not care about their employee satisfaction at all. Disorganized and over worked. I was not paid fully for working an 11 hour shift. They think their girl-to-counselor ratio is a suggestion. I had almost 30 girls to myself. The only positive is seeing the girls' faces and getting to be outside. It is fulltime so that was nice but I was not getting paid enough. Would not do this again. I have a feeling it was just my location though (NE). Other counselors (IA) had different experiences.
Pros
the children, fulltime hours
Cons
little pay, bad management and coworkers, overworked, too stressful
Fun place to work
Wrangler (Former Employee) –  OklahomaDecember 9, 2016
Before it became Girl Scouts of the USA being a girl scout and working for them was an opportunity never to forget. I had the opportunity to meet with girls from all over the world and learn about their culture. My favorite part about camp was being around the horses. As a little girl i grew up on a horse ranch out in Redland, OK. So it never felt like i was away from home. I got along with a lot of my co- workers. I loved my job so much that none of it was hard except for when summer was over and we had to go back to our normal lives. Every bit of the job was more then enjoyable. I would never trade my experience for anything.
New Adventures
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GADecember 14, 2016
While working for the Girl Scouts of Historic Georgia I was able to learn about different cultures of the campers that came to the summer camp. I started as a camp counselor and when the office and other offices decided to merge together a lot of people were laid off including myself.
Pros
Travel between other camps
Cons
Job security was low
Not what you think
Membership Representative (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 14, 2016
The environment is toxic, I've never seen such turnover or poor morale. Extremely low pay (they don't give raises), the expectation to work several nights per week meeting with troop leaders, the requirement to attend meetings and events in other regions with no comp time off, and an egomaniacle "CEO" who is one of the most difficult people that I've encountered in my entire life and career. I couldn't wait to get out!
Pros
Cookies
Cons
Everything else!
Half the Staff had to Leave Before Management Noticed a Problem
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Mahomet, ILAugust 13, 2016
My co-counselors and assistant director were the best team I have ever worked beside. However, management is not willing to help their employees until the camp is absolutely desperate. For example when three employees step down from their roles within two weeks. The returning staff were given special treatment. They could consistently show up late and disappear during the day without repercussions whereas, if a new staff member was 8 minutes late they would have to scrub toilets. The Girl Scouts organization at least in central Illinois, fails to embody the girl scout law.
Pros
Meet cool people, Girl Scout cookies, S'mores, Opportunity to make a difference in girls lives, Room and Board
Cons
Stressful environment, Favoritism, Bug bites, No wifi in staff lodge
Enjoyable Volunteer Work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAMarch 24, 2016
Volunteer work is always a must with the girlscouts. It's fun and helps raise funds for you and your troops. Downside is standing long hours and walking door to door, and can be abit discouraging if someone deny your troop.
Great mix between corporate and creative industries
Fund Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  TexasSeptember 8, 2016
This was my favorite position that I have had. I had great relationships with all of my co-workers, and a really great relationship with my boss. We were all a team working towards the same goals for the company. It was a true team environment and I would love to find a similar situation now.
Pros
Great office location and fun afterhours work events.
Cons
No overtime, with some long hours.
loved working their 10 years ago
Telecommunications Administrator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 16, 2017
enjoyable place to work for and great team members learned my position that I now have from GS CIO was great and recognized her staff for promotions. we were like a big family that has gone now from what I hear.
Pros
team members
Cons
there were no cons at that time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Girl Scouts of the USA. Our community is ready to answer.

Girl Scouts of the USA Reviews by Location