Girl Scouts of the USA Employee Reviews in United States

Fun workplace
Camp Counselor, Horse Staff (Former Employee) –  Defiance, OHJuly 25, 2016
Enjoyed participating the activities and working with children and animals. Helped young children grow and make friends.
Fun Place to be
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Braddock Heights, MDJuly 22, 2016
I loved being a girl scout. Everything we did was enjoyable and if I could go back and do it all over again I would. Helping the public was fun and going on trips together to bond was great too.
Great place to work if you love the wilderness
Unit Leader (Former Employee) –  Millinocket, MEJuly 22, 2016
During my time at Camp Natarswi, I made several great friends and spent time in the outdoors. It's a fun place to be, and the community feeling is a key part of one's experience.
Family atmostphere
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 7, 2016
the work culture and environment is excellent and the challenging and innovative work keeps everyday interesting and exciting. Directors are not micromanagers and you directly have an impact on the members you serve.
Cons
salary
Hard, Stressful, exhausting, and fun work
GENERAL COUNSELOR (SEASONAL) (Former Employee) –  Gilbertsville, PAJuly 5, 2016
I worked at an overnight camp and it was great. However, I was ridiculously stressed and exhausted and my bosses were horrific.
Membership
Membership Representative (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MSJuly 5, 2016
Long hours, management does not have a clue about what you do, while ignoring any comments and or concerns you bring to them. overall, work here long enough to gain experience and get out!
Pros
great pay
Cons
long hours, lack of managerial support
Typical Non-profit
Latina Initiative Specialist (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 30, 2016
I truly believe in the vision of Girl Scouts but just as with all non-profits we have too much work and would love to focus more on the girls getting the best experience and less on trying different things out every year. Also, working with all women can be challenging.
Nice to work here
Members Specialist (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CA 92618June 28, 2016
The company allows for Flex scheduling an has good benefits. Overall fun environment with a cooperative attitude. This office strives to be inclusive in all desicions made.
Pros
Birthday - Holiday celebrations
Cons
Long hours for a few months out of the year.
Meaningful work with serious impact
Senior Director of Membership (Former Employee) –  Alameda, CAJune 24, 2016
I live a life based on personal mission and require my work to have meaning and value. Girl Scouts of Northern California provides that. Building girls of courage, confidence, and character who make the better place is a worthy cause everyday.

I had growth and leadership opportunities at every turn, receiving promotions nearly every year. I participated in strategic planning, organization development, implementation of Salesforce, and was in charge of the 100th anniversary event serving 25,000 participants.

I loved the collaboration and partnership of staff and volunteers working together for common solutions. The job requires great communication and collaboration skills, dedication, and follow through. I learned how to be a better listener and to provide information and services people really need.

Management was transparent and collaborative. It was inspiring to work for a place focused on a mission we could all believe in.

Coworkers were fun, funny, hard working, and totally dedicated. They live and breathe the mission.

Work-life balance is hard in non-profits. There is more work than all of us can do combined.

The best part of working for Girl Scouts is witnessing the personal growth in girls and adult volunteers, and professional development of staff. Everyone grows through Girl Scouts and it's a pleasure to be a part of that expansion of human potential.
Pros
Mission-driven work
Cons
Low pay, long hours
I did not work form Girl Scouts of the USA, I worked for Girl Scouts of Utah
Membership Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Ogden, UTJune 24, 2016
GSUSA and GS of Utah are similar but not the same thing. Local council's operate with guidelines from GSUSA, but can tailor things to fit our individual council's needs, therefore, I cannot answer accurately as they are two different entities.
Terrible interview experience
Membership and Community Development Manager (Former Employee) –  AlabamaJune 22, 2016
This was definitely the most unprofessional experience I've ever had interviewing with a company. After each interview, it took them weeks to let me know if I've made it to the next part of the process. I first had a phone interview with the Director (sometime in March), then an in-person interview, then another phone interview (with another Director who called me at 8pm one night) and then a month later, I was emailed (out of the blue) to do a Skype interview the same exact day. I told her it was a little short notice because of my work schedule and she told me she would contact me in a few weeks after her PTO. This was May 19th. Almost a month later (June 22nd), I have yet to hear from her. Typical. I have pretty much given up on this position and hate that I wasted my time interviewing with them.
Nice atmosphere, room for advancement
Lead Cashier / Accounting Associate (Former Employee) –  Miquon, Pa.June 20, 2016
Process all checks, credit cards and cash received and posted to the correct General Ledger Account. Assist Accounts Payable entering invoices expense reports, filling vendor invoices and mailing of checks.
Pros
Good benefit package
Super Fun workplace
Resident Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  West Bend, WIJune 19, 2016
I loved working with the girls! It's always fun to help them around camp and to help them with there activities. And getting to know all the other camp counselors was a blast as well.
Fun place to work
Camp Aide (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, VAJune 13, 2016
great place to work for young girls. i really enjoyed my time there, highly recommend it. hours were just a little rough at first.
review
co leader (Current Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLJune 13, 2016
it a exciting to help the girls and parent to get involve in our troop and it opportitute to work with girls
Pros
reward
Cons
a hr
A very good volunteering experience
Assistant Troop Leader - Greater Houston Area (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 8, 2016
The job is volunteer based. There is no pay with the job and it should be convenient to your own needs. The most enjoyable part is the cookie sales.
Fun place to work
Girl Scout Program (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 8, 2016
My job would start in the afternoon after school. I had a group of girls that together we did crafts, games, and group activities. I learned how to manage and supervise a small group of children.
The management was always very nice and accommodating. Most of my co-workers went to school and lived on campus with me. Consequently, most of my co-workers were actually my friends outside of work.
The hardest part of the job was that many of the girls were inner city kids that had families with low incomes. This made it difficult for management to plan activities and events. The most enjoyable part of the job was just having fun with the girls by getting involved with all their many activities.
Pros
Having co-workers who were good friends.
Cons
Not always having the money to do all the activities we wanted.
A great Summer Job!
Resident Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILJune 1, 2016
This job was one of the funnest I've had. I was a resident camp counselor, meaning that I stayed at the camp from Sunday afternoon until Friday evening, leaving only Saturday off. It was a lot of fun, although we lived in platform tents without electricity. A typical day consists of waking up around 7am, attending a flag ceremony, followed by breakfast. After breakfast the campers were assigned by group to many different activities depending on the running program for the week. They would meet again for lunch and supper, then for a closing flag ceremony. Lights out was 10pm.
Pros
A lot of fun, free 'room' and meals while there, great group of people to work with
Cons
Pay was poor for a seasonal job, no healthcare offered.
lots of fun
Camp counselor (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, KSMay 24, 2016
We always had fun at work with all the campers and we would spend time getting to know our co workers as well. Sure we were outside and it was hot but it was a summer camp.
gave a lot of personal skills.
volunteer (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 23, 2016
girl scouts is something i recommend for every child. it taught me the value of helping others and gave me life and survival skills.

Girl Scouts of the USA Reviews by Location