Girl Scouts of the USA Employee Reviews in United States

Trifecta of Americorps, Girlscouts and Public School AVID program
Americorps AVID Tutor (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAApril 24, 2016
I worked at a public school, so everyday was an adventure. I learned how to push students to discover answers, not give them answers; I learned to negotiate multiple organizations simutaniously; and I learned to do all this with a genuine smile. Somedays were difficult, as you can imagine at a middle school, but not because of staff. The first year I struggled to understand what my GS supervisor required of me, but once I understood, things became more comfortable. Taking intercity girls to the Girl Scouts Environmental Summit was the highlight of my time there.
Pros
Kids
Cons
pay
Great!
Brownie Leader Troop (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHApril 23, 2016
Great organization to be a volunteer with. A lot of opportunity and a joy to work with. Love to watch the Scouts grow and learn.
Temp position
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 22, 2016
This was a very temporary position so room to grow wasn't available. I did get to learn a few new things which was really cool. It was very repetitive hard work.
Pros
Nice facility
Cons
working out in the very cold and very hot.
Controller tends to yell
Accounting Specialist (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 17, 2016
The Controller has fired or let go and rehired for the position 8 times. I left because of the environment. Most of the people in the office are great. It is the DCO and Controller that are hard to work with.
I thoroughly believe in the Girl Scout mission and experience!
Product Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Lizella, GAApril 12, 2016
I thoroughly believe in the Girl Scout mission and experience! Great entry level job. Work hard, play hard. Always more to do.
Pros
flexible work schedule, great team members
Cons
pay
Love
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaApril 12, 2016
GSUSA is such an amazing organization to volunteer for. They are truly dedicated to help make the world a better place, one Girl Scout at a time.
Pros
working with awesome kids
Cons
paper work
Fun Job, Mediocre Management
Unit Counselor and Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 12, 2016
Most of my coworkers were fun and hardworking which was good considering they were short staffed and hired just about everyone who applied.

We had weekly performance reviews which helped keep counselors on the same page as the camp directors.

It was fun spending time with the campers and getting to plan activities each week. Campers would often write cards for their counselors and it was very rewarding to see how happy they were to be at camp.

The biggest problem was with management. They often had problems with communication. For example, a camper was sick and was sleeping in the office. One of my managers reminded the camp director multiple times that she was there and needed to be woken up to go home on the bus. But no one ever woke her up and the bus left without her. We had to drive her to home and it was extremely unprofessional. Another issue was the maturity of some of the managers. One manager got angry with me after I told a different manger that one of my friends/coworker had violated a certain protocol. The manager was not concerned with the violation but was offended that I would "tattle on my friend".
Pros
Food is taken care of, Get to spend time outside, Planning activities
Cons
Little to no breaks, Lack of communication
Recruitment Manager
Recruitment Manager (Current Employee) –  Dayton, OHApril 5, 2016
It is great to work with young girls and be an advocate for their growth and development, but work life balance is difficult.
A job with wonderful kids
Life guard (Former Employee) –  Lees Summit, MOApril 2, 2016
This job was nice because I was able to teach kids about safety around water as well as just being able to interact with them. Sitting by the poolside was also a bonus. Fresh air was the best thing about this job. I love to work outside and as a girl scout life guard, I was able to spend every day outside by the poolside.
Camp Counsellor
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  wappappello, moMarch 31, 2016
Organize and conduct outdoor activities (zip line, canoeing, horseback riding, swimming marathons)
Prepare special meal menus and cook meals
Assist children with first aid and daily medications.
Spark creativity and imagination by helping children discover new things every day
Run far and fast
Regional Executive (Former Employee) –  Nashville tnMarch 29, 2016
This is the most demoralizing work place I have ever witnessed. I was hired on the pretense that my work week would consist of 36 hours per week with an occasional night or weekend. I was given no training and was simply told here is your key, go check out your office. A typical day at work begins at 8:30am. Regional executive positions are expected to attend each service unit's night meeting once a month and the night service team meetings once a month. Each Regional Executive may have 10-13 service units. Recruitment goals are set so high that it is very difficult to meet those goals. Recruitment consists of going to each school ( over 60 in my region) and making a presentation to the children and send home flyers with information about Girl Scouts and a scheduled date, time, and location for a registration meeting. Some school systems will allow the presentations and some will not. The registration meetings take place either at night or on Saturday. That means an additional 60+ nights or weekends over a recruitment period lasting approximately six months. Registration meetings last approximately 2 1/2 hours each and travel time can be up to two hours each way. Having no help in the office means the office must be open every day unless the RE is at a recruitment presentation, at a membership meting at council. This is the time the RE is returning the 25 voice mails from the day before (while in another county for recruitment), answering this day's calls, placing girls, auditing the 60+ bank accounts (which you are expected to personally sign responsibility for),  more... dealing with management drama, and worrying about the family that you never get to see any more. Leaving home at 5:30 am to be at a school at 8 am that is just over two hours away has you leaving as the rest of the family is beginning to wake. The timing gives the opportunity to be back at the office around noon to place girls, return calls, deal with drama, make new signs, deliver registration paperwork to council (another hour drive), get flyers printed and then leave for your 6 pm registration meeting where you will get home anywhere between 8 pm and 10 pm, depending on drive time. Council really is clueless about what the employees go through. I have my calendar that shows most days are 12 hour days. I have logged work weeks of 72 hours. 60+ hours is a normal week. Think you can handle it? Think you can get it to a reasonable work week? You can; but you will not make your girl goals, adult goals, or your donations goals and therefore you will be fired quickly. I have seen so many young girls try to start a career with this great job with GSMIDTN only to be fired and then have to overcome that on a employment history. It's just sad. In the past year and a half, I have personally seen over 15 people leave their job with all but two being fired. GSMIDTN employs under 40 full time people and the top 6 people never leave. I wish I could say it is a great job where women lift each other up in support and help. It is what I expected from Girl Scouts. I was very, very wrong. Management is very poor, tactless, poor professionalism in manners, dress, and ability. Takes credit for the work of others and will lie, cheat, and steal to impress the CEO. The top three are a real piece of work.  less
Pros
Girl Scout volunteers are great people with giving hearts
Cons
Most employees never make it past the first year and a half.
Productive and fun place but can be chaotic
Executive Assistant to the CDO (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 29, 2016
GSUSA is going through a transition, with consultants working on realigning departments. While I enjoyed working for the CDO, the job changed from an Executive Assistant role to Development Associate.
Pros
Free cookies
Cons
Chaotic structure
Enjoyable Volunteer Work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAMarch 24, 2016
Volunteer work is always a must with the girlscouts. It's fun and helps raise funds for you and your troops. Downside is standing long hours and walking door to door, and can be abit discouraging if someone deny your troop.
great first job for friendly college students
Unit Leader (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMarch 24, 2016
My time spent at Green Forest camp will be some of the best memories of college for me. Not only was the atmosphere very friendly and accommodating to new staff, but I had a lot of opportunities for advancement and learned critical scheduling/time management skills, as well as basic food prep, team-building skills, and CPR and First Aid certified (twice trained in three years of employment)
Dont work here
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 22, 2016
If you arent hourly, the pay isnt worth it for the time you put in. Have fun getting a 12 cent raise after all of your hard work. The problem is with upper management. I've had a director who makes you do her school work for her masters program. She has called employees stupid and wishes they had enough money to fire them. HR does nothing. Insperity is useless. Have fun doing other peoples jobs for no increase in pay. They MAY give you a lovely $10 gift card for your extra hard work.
Pros
Awesome PTO-180 hours a year, holidays off, great christmas vacation
Cons
directors are hard to get ahold of due to constant meetings, overworked and overpaid, controlling, loud and annoying volunteers
Interesting workplace culture
Camp Counselor/ Unit Leader (Former Employee) –  Mableton, GAMarch 21, 2016
Camp Counselor. Learned a lot about kids with diverse backgrounds. A typical day of work is hectic and you run around after kids all day. You teach three activities per day. You get two hour breaks, but you work all day and are technically still working at night. You are with the kids from sunday evening til saturday morning. Co- workers for the most part are great. I have made life long friends from this job.
Used to be fun, a family environment
Girl Scouts Merchandise/Telephone Operator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 20, 2016
The best part was helping customers, the worst part was transition to try to make it corporate. New dress code, new people and divisive people.
Pros
non-profit
Cons
favoritism
Fun
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTMarch 14, 2016
I only worked here for the summer but you enjoy all the activities you plan with the girls and co-workers pitch in when you need them. It's exciting to see the different personalities of the girls
Positive work environment
Unit Leader (Current Employee) –  Morehead, KYMarch 11, 2016
I was able to educate young girls on the importance of our environment and the importance of STEM education. We practiced and taught team building exercises, and outdoor and wilderness survival skills. The most difficult part of working at the camp was the weather, but we were able to think quick and improvise when needed to continue activities. The most enjoyable part of working for the GSA was knowing that I made a positive impact on a child's life.
Pros
Family type community, positive environment
Cons
n/a
Great summer job
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Prescott, AZMarch 10, 2016
Wake up early and file the girls into meals and activities while staying prompt, healthy and upbeat. Every day was a new challenge but working with the team around you was the best way to solve it. The camp staff was amazing all the way around.

Girl Scouts of the USA Reviews by Location