Girl Scouts of the USA Employee Reviews in United States

Fun
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTMarch 14, 2016
I only worked here for the summer but you enjoy all the activities you plan with the girls and co-workers pitch in when you need them. It's exciting to see the different personalities of the girls
Positive work environment
Unit Leader (Current Employee) –  Morehead, KYMarch 11, 2016
I was able to educate young girls on the importance of our environment and the importance of STEM education. We practiced and taught team building exercises, and outdoor and wilderness survival skills. The most difficult part of working at the camp was the weather, but we were able to think quick and improvise when needed to continue activities. The most enjoyable part of working for the GSA was knowing that I made a positive impact on a child's life.
Pros
Family type community, positive environment
Cons
n/a
Great summer job
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Prescott, AZMarch 10, 2016
Wake up early and file the girls into meals and activities while staying prompt, healthy and upbeat. Every day was a new challenge but working with the team around you was the best way to solve it. The camp staff was amazing all the way around.
Great place to work.
Program Manger (Current Employee) –  Marina del Rey, CAMarch 8, 2016
Great place to work. I enjoy the men and woman I work with. I beleive in the Mission of Girl Souts. I would recommend others work for this organization.
Best job ever had
Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 3, 2016
I really enjoyed every aspect of this job. The staff and the outreach manager are amazing. Wish I could work this job forever.
Loved it
Community Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 2, 2016
Wow where can I start this job has made me a better person in so many ways. I learned responsibility, caring, management, and most important growth. I wouldn't trade this experience for anything.
Giving back to the community, fun place to work in
Community Program Leader (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAMarch 2, 2016
Part of Girlscouts program is reaching out to inner city kids and introducing them about the program. Student workers work in different school sites daily.
Pros
fun place
Cons
not enough hours available
Girls scout US
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTMarch 1, 2016
It had a really good service and all coworkers were good and helpful I really enjoy working there. The management was good
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Short break
Positive Place
Outreach Leader (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 1, 2016
A great diverse working place
Lots of travel
Learn all departments job
Great people
Marketing all the time
Team work environment
fun environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIFebruary 26, 2016
. I was only a volunteer, I was a trainer for the council, I developed programs for all age levels. I was a fun environment all the staff people were nice. working with the kids was very enjoyable watching the different age groups as they learned new experiences
Pros
kids
Cons
should be a paid position you work as many hours as the paid staff does
Favorites here
Office, Retail & Product Sales Manager for Wyoming (Former Employee) –  Casper, WYFebruary 25, 2016
Promotions for only those in town of corporate office
Awesome yearly staff retreat
Ceo had little experience in field
Cfo drank herself out of job
Pros
STAFF RETREAT, FLEX TIME, ALL SUPERVISORS IN MT, WORKED ALONE 80% OF TIME
Cons
LOW PAY, NO INSURANCE, COMPANY CAR
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor
Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Kinnelon, NJFebruary 17, 2016
A typical day at Lake Rickabear Day Camp consists of arriving at 8 am, completing morning waterfront chore duties and starting at 9 am teaching swim lessons. Each swim lesson is 30 minutes long with girls ages ranging from 5 years to 16 years. Swim lessons run from 9am-2pm with a 1 hour lunch break.Then, the lake opens for free swim for 2 hours where girls have to opportunity to swim with their friends. Then the guards clean up the beach and lock up waterfront equipment, then complete an afternoon chore.
Pros
Working with great kids, great staff and being outside and active all day
Cons
Many duties outside of guarding and teaching, disorganized management, and pay below minimum wage.
great source of early experience and opportunities
Girl scout (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaFebruary 16, 2016
As a Girl Scout, there are many opportunities to travel and meet all kinds of great people. Selling cookies promotes positive outcomes for hard work, and prepares one to handle money, customers, and consumer products correctly. Being a member of a Girl Scout troop provides experience and understanding for what it's like working with a team to get goals met.
Pros
Cookie prizes, camp, meeting new people, learning new things
Cons
decisions are decided as a group
Spirited workplace
On Site Camp Nurse (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSFebruary 15, 2016
My day consisted of checking in campers into the medical system and controlling all medication storage and administration. Providing education that centered around camping safety. Administering basic medical care if needed.
Not what you think
Membership Representative (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIFebruary 14, 2016
The environment is toxic, I've never seen such turnover or poor morale. Extremely low pay (they don't give raises), the expectation to work several nights per week meeting with troop leaders, the requirement to attend meetings and events in other regions with no comp time off, and an egomaniacle "CEO" who is one of the most difficult people that I've encountered in my entire life and career. I couldn't wait to get out!
Pros
Cookies
Cons
Everything else!
Extremely Stressful Work place
Community Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCFebruary 9, 2016
Job description was changed after 2 and half years. Morning, meetings, phone calls, and emails. Afternoon out of office meetings, and recruitment's or programs. 3 evenings a month meetings. 2 Saturdays a month meetings. Special Events through out the month. I learned a great deal about Volunteer Development and Engagement. My co-workers were all wonderful to work with and truly great people. The hardest part of the job was the constant mirco-management that came along with the new job description and the constant stress and bulling from the CEO, causing tension in the office. The most enjoyable part of the job was working directly with the Volunteers and the Girls.
Pros
new challenges every day
Cons
unprofessional conduct of the upper management and C suite
Work was mundane and not challenging
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSFebruary 6, 2016
My work was repetitive and my supervisor often took credit for my work and blamed me for her mistakes. In addition I needed more hours than they could provide.
Work for the Mission
VOLUNTEER SERVICES SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma, TXFebruary 5, 2016
Family friendly, limited growth possibilities. Teamwork is encouraged, hours can be long weekends, evenings is a part of your day. Developed valuable skills, strong friendships. Work for the mission and the development of strong girl leadership. Some managers can be difficult but not all.
Great experience
Helpdesk Intern (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 3, 2016
Working with the Helpdesk department was very beneficial. Being able to have real hands-on experience working in an office environment definitely increased my knowledge of troubleshooting and networking.
life lesson
Troop Leader (Former Employee) –  White Lake, MIFebruary 3, 2016
It was fun helping girls learn and work on building confidence, self esteem and leadership skills.

The hardest part of the job for me was trying to create lessons that worked for my specific troop as I had all ages and what can be explained one way to 9+ is not as easy to explain to 5 and 6 year olds.
The best part of the job was when the craft we were doing would "click" with the girls and they could understand why it applied to the lesson we were learning.

Girl Scouts of the USA Reviews by Location