Girl Scouts of the USA Employee Reviews

n/a
Girl Scout Senior (Current Employee) –  Edison, NJNovember 16, 2017
It is a very nice organization. I really like it. It is really fun . I had a good time being apart of the Girl Scout family. Very community based and grounded.
Fun place to help girls become more independent
Unit Counselor/Ropes Facilitator (Former Employee) –  IowaNovember 16, 2017
Working at Girl Scout camp is a great place to make yourself better as a person while helping young girls realize their independence. It is a wonderful place to build relationships with people who will be your friends for life.
Girl Scouts of NorhtEast Ohio
Camp Registration Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Macedonia, OHNovember 16, 2017
Everything is fast paced and very Custom oriented.
Managers are willing to listen to you.
Managers want to see you improve with yearly one-on-one's and goal settings.
Pros
Paid Time Off
Cons
Work Flow Gets Too Heavy, Hectic Days
Fun and fast paced environment
Former Chief Financial Officer (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 14, 2017
Working to help girls develop courage confidence and character. Providing meaningful reporting to the Board on a timely basis. Oversight of IT and Product Sales.
Pros
Making a difference in girl's lives.
Cons
Managing volunteers has its challenges.
Productive and a great learning atmosphere to gain leadership skills
Program Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Mansfield, OHNovember 14, 2017
I love working here, especially having a passion with working with children. It is a relaxed job setting, but a lot of traveling, which I don't mind. I help facilitate programs for elementary girls that are both in Girl Scouts or not. I have gained leadership and communication skills through this opportunity.
Great work
Chief Executive Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 14, 2017
Great work, culture, volunteers, fun part working with girls and boards. Fundraising for girls and women's issues can be challenging. Representing the interests of different communities can be challenging yet exhilarating.
Pros
Community
Cons
Not enough time in the day to do great work
Fun and exciting workplace with free food
Unit Leader (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 13, 2017
Working at a summer camp is a hard job, I'm not going to lie. But working at a GS-TOP camp makes it worth it. At this job, I get to make an impact on girls' lives every day, and help them grow as individuals. It does get stressful at times, but working at a GS-TOP camp is really rewarding, and it is one of the best jobs I've ever had. I have made so many friends and so many memories at this job, and that's what keeps me coming back year after year. The management is amazing and willing to work with your schedule, to an extent, and the people who work here are phenomenal.
Pros
free food, free room and board, free wifi, girl scout cookies
Cons
long days
Outdoor Program Manager
Outdoor Program Manager/ Camp Director (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNNovember 12, 2017
Create new outdoor learning experiences for scouts, forge new relationships with other non-profit seeking same goals, created a camp season of sessions for scouts and parents, recruited and trained staff, worked with state to ensure camp was a safe environment, got American camp association accreditation, fundraised for the camp through grants and united way, and influenced several girls to take healthy risks by using camp tools and girls scout programs
Paid to do one job and did two.
Maintenance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mableton, GANovember 12, 2017
Money that was made through selling cookies by the Girl Scouts WAS NOT distributed to the up keeping of the camps for the girls.It was used to benefit higher up management for pay increase, which I thought was disgusting.Not about the kids any more.
Pros
None maybe coffee
Cons
Pay not good.
Rewarding
Volunteer Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Litchfield and Londonderry, NHNovember 10, 2017
Working for a non-profit organization has it's challenges. It is great environment to set personal as well as team goals that can be achieved with personal rewards with great accomplishments as a team as well as personal. It's a terrific job where you have a great opportunity to work with great diversity, unlimited personal and professional challenges and have a direct impact on a child's happiness.
Pros
Working in a team enviroment and reaching personal and professional goals
Cons
It's a job where your results vary solely on the time you have available to put into it.
Great Volunteer experience
o Troop Leader (Former Employee) –  Baden-WürttembergNovember 9, 2017
Volunteering with Girl Scouts was an amazing experience. I loved helping the girls learn new and exciting things. Growing and learning more about the organization was a huge plus.
Was a good place to work
Community Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INNovember 8, 2017
My job was like being a salesperson so I had a lot of contact with alot of people and enjoyed my job. It wasnt a job for everyone but I did enjoy it and worked evenings as well
Pros
met alot of nice people
Cons
evening meetings
An average internship for Bachelor-level degrees
Intern (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 7, 2017
I would highly recommend this internship for those who enjoy working with young girls and young women and who firmly believe in the importance of instilling female empowerment at early ages in order to produce the leaders of tomorrow. I would recommend this internship for those who are interested in making change at the micro-level and enjoy a slow-paced work environment. I would not recommend this internship to individuals who enjoy macro-level work, including; research, policy implementation, theory application, and grant writing to fund programs and/or community organization. A typical day for me included checking my email at the beginning of the day to figure out my daily assignments,, sitting in on meetings pertaining to the Girl Scout Curriculum, gathering supplies to prepare for Girl Scout meetings, and planning activities by implementing the Girl Scout curriculum and then teaching and leading those activities.

The Girl Scouts of Central Indiana practicum site was considered a "non-traditional" practicum site by the Indiana School of Social Work at Indiana University- Purdue University of Indianapolis (IUPUI), and this made for the most difficult part of my practicum. The "non-traditional" title given to this practicum site became more clear as my practicum progressed, because I found myself having a hard time relating what I was learning in the classroom to my responsibilities at the practicum site. For example, my internship started in January which is when cookie sales dominate every department and facet of the Girl Scout organization. For the first two months
  more... of my internship I was helping with these sales by packaging cookies, setting up tables and supplies for cookie sale orientations, vacuuming up the cookies crumbs after the orientations, and completing inventory and entering cookie sale data into Excel. This was not in any way related to social work and my interest in research and policy within the social work field, and thus; the hardest part of my job became my interest in the work itself.
The largest connection to the social work field came when I was assigned to lead my own Girl Scout groups using the Girl Scout curriculum to design my lesson plans. Planning these group activities and lessons through the implementation of the Girl Scout curriculum was my favorite party of the practicum because it gave me a chance to work independently and bring together my knowledge of behavioral sciences, social work theory, and creativity and apply it to create a fun and relevant activity that got the girls excited about leadership and advocacy.
Pros
Individual office space, room for independent work and teamwork and creativity
Cons
assignment of random tasks, completing small tasks within a larger project without seeing the final outcome
would not recommend to anyone
would rather not say (Former Employee) –  Cicero, NYNovember 6, 2017
I worked for the NYPENN council for many many years and was thrown out like trash when the new management came on board, with the intention of revamping the whole organization... which meant that they "eliminated" many established and hard working staff members who dedicated their lives to G.S.s
Pros
great volunteers
Cons
new management was horrible
Good experience
Embassador (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXNovember 4, 2017
I learned new things all the time and loving helping out the community. We are always doing something new and we learn how to do new things all the time.
Fun social environment
Cadet (Former Employee) –  Ventura, CANovember 3, 2017
Works on social skills, creative skills, group work, community service. Gain a lot of different experiences. Meet a lot of people. Do a lot of different things.
Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARNovember 3, 2017
Former Girl Scout Leader Assistant. I love every minute of it. The troop participated in what every activity was able. The hardest part was when we had to let the troop go.
Pros
Learning
Frustration with rate of change
Project Coordinator and Administrator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 3, 2017
Got benefits and decent salary, but could not get management moving when I needed them and i was working on a company wide project that we could not get buyin for-- I could only speak to middle and lower levels, which is where the analysis needed to be done, but the higher ups needed to make a concerted effort to push the project forward
Builds strong girls!
Director of Program (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 31, 2017
Great organization! GIrl Scouts builds girls of courage, confidence and character who make the world a better place. We inspire girls to be Go-Getters, Innovators, Risk Takers and Leaders!
management like revolving door
VOLUNTEER & COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT (Current Employee) –  Secaucus, NJOctober 20, 2017
Price of membership is going up but services are lacking!!!! requirements are becoming more stringent. No wonder girls want to join boy scouts!!!!1!!