GKN Aerospace

GKN Aerospace United States Employee Reviews

Quality Is not what it should be
Process Engineer III (Former Employee), Hazelwood, MOApril 14, 2015
Not a fun place to work. It was like taking a step back in time. They need to look at there ISO AC9100C and really focus on RCCA
Bad business culture
SR. Manufacturing & process Engineer (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOMarch 13, 2015
Company need to change the culture and ways to do business. there is absolutely no team player environment. Also manager never listen to employer good ideas, especial in my department witch is RCCA.
Fast paced environment with constant change.
Composite Worker (Current Employee), Tallassee, ALMarch 2, 2015
Cons: attendance policy, lack of diversity, communication
Average work day is highly stressful due to inaccurate communication. Through this environment I have learned how to handle conflict, how to communicate with difficult people and how to stay motivated during the hardest of times. This company has given me the opportunity to become the driven person that I am today. While this company lacks diversity and is in need of a more knowledgeable management staff, my co workers and I are determined and strive to be successful. The hardest part of this job is watching my co workers become more disgruntled due to recent changes involving PTO, poor communication and lack of knowledge of the company's current state of business. I enjoy my job because I have worked here for a number of years. I have formed a lot of friendships. We have respect for each other and because of this respect we work together through all of the difficulties to perform our jobs effectively and efficiently. I have gained a lot of trust and knowledge of the business. I have witnessed the company grow from $1 million per month in sales to $25 million per month in sales. This is a great accomplishment for the business as a whole.
Not your typical machinist job
Machinist (Current Employee), Hazelwood, MOFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: learning a new trade
Cons: 7 day work weeks, low pay start out, tier payscales, heavy politics in the work place
A typical work day is pretty good generally, but you work mandatory 7 days a week most of the year! I learned a great deal about machinist operations and the aerospace industry. And management...your typical mismanaged and poorly operated corporate America company. The union pretty much sucks like any other union does at this point in time. Nothing like the old days when unions were mob driven!!! Some of the senior guys are spoiled, over paid and lazy. They also refuse to "pass the torch" of knowledge along to the junior employee's and in addition, treating them with disrespect and/or reverse discrimination. The job is relatively easy, has moments when you follow and idiot who leaves you hanging with bad information. The work is kinda fun in itself.
good company
Forging press operator (Former Employee), Muncie, INFebruary 12, 2015
good company, good people , good place to work. I enjoyed working there and I would work there again if given the chance...
Fast track projects
Facilities Engineer (Former Employee), Garden Grove, CAFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: nice people to work with
Cons: the contract was to short
This was a contract job to get a facility project back on track. It was a lot to accomplish in a very short time. It meant working OT and on over a Christmas shut-down. I know this going into this contract job.
very poor managed
Sr. Manufacture Engineer (Former Employee), El Cajon, CAJanuary 21, 2015
This is a very raciest company. I reported a raciest comment to my manager and HR and nothing was done to that person. The following week I terminated. I've worked their for 2yrs with very good evals and now this. The company has 700 plus employees at the El Cajon location and less then 1% is black and there's many blacks thats qualified for positions there and they just don't hire black.
Excellent growth potentials
Project Manager (Former Employee), Amityville, NYDecember 22, 2014
Pros: working with staff of all levels
Successfully engaged my major strengths to streamline operations and greatly improve profitability. Working with the management and daily manufacturing to improve company profits and winning 15 million of new business was an exciting time for me.
productive and safe work place
CNC Machinist (Former Employee), Amityville, NYDecember 13, 2014
Machine Setup, first hand inspection, Analyze and interpret blueprint, knowledge on G-CODE command to perform minor machine modification, proficient in 3-6 axis machining, Machine Alignments, experience machining titanium and Aluminum materials, proficient in the use of multiple measuring device to inspect parts, good knowledge of different controls, but not limited to Siemens, Fanuc and hydrotel.
Great place for business majors...
Employee (Current Employee), Cromwell, CTDecember 10, 2014
Pros: excellent place to start your career, regardless of education or position, laid back attitude means you can make friends very easily, new engineering development work is fun and exciting
Cons: upper management is a disaster. 4 gm's in as many years, extremely political environment, no advancement, nepotism, favoritism
If you are a recent college grad, it doesn't get much better. The experience you gain here is second to none for the first 1-2 years. The technology here is amazing and really cutting edge. Almost makes you proud to be a part of it.

After that though, if you do not make the right friends you will be stuck in title and pay. Any one who is not sales or finance should not expect any career advancement, raises, promotions, or recognition. Asking for any of these things is met with resistance by most if not all levels of management. On occasion, these things do happen to engineers or other employees but it is mostly for show and not significant. Training and certification is discouraged. professional development plans are considered on paper, but are never followed through. Ever.

The benefits are OK and the environment has a good focus on safety, but the egos, unethical and inconsistent employee management, and high expectations for low pay are tough to deal with.
Work Environment
QC Inspection (Current Employee), San Diego, CADecember 2, 2014
Pros: learn something new everyday.
Cons: not enough overtime
Worked with many different parts to ensure quality and delivered on time. I worked with Nondestructive Testing (NDT) which involves acid dip, visual, and U.T inspection. Other procedures involved QC Inspection and running CMM machine. I worked with Metabo, IBS , and Collar machines to improve productivity. Once parts were completed, I would setup shipping and packing slips to deliver parts to customers. Worked with computer numeric controlled machinery from setup to operation to produce parts and tools from metal, plastic, or other materials. Used precision machinery that cuts, grinds, and drills into material. Made sure machines are set up properly, working well, and producing quality product.
Management encourages competition among the sites versus collaboration
Director, Supply Chain - Indirect NA (Current Employee), Amityville, NY - 90% travelNovember 25, 2014
this creates a very tough culture to implement change across the organization.
Get great experience in the aerospace field
MRB/ Production Engineer (Current Employee), St. Louis, MONovember 1, 2014
Pros: quality people
Cons: working some weekends, facility needs updates
GKN Aerospace is a fast paced production environment with a lot of experience to offer for young engineers. My experience is in the composites- military side of their business. As an engineer we have a more expanded job responsibility than typical '1 task' type jobs. The hardest part of the job is probably balancing tasks between root cause issues on the manufacturing floor and keeping up with delivery needs. Operations has to push product out the door and it's our job to make sure it is build right. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you have a major impact on product quality and delivering our nation's heroes wings to fly!
great company to work for.alabama site no foward direction,nepotism
working leader (Former Employee), Tallassee, ALOctober 29, 2014
Pros: pays well for area, solid workforce
Cons: management, nepotism, advancement, hr out of touch, morale, motovation
typical day;make sure our team is and has workload for the day.hot parts and current shipsets taking priority.engaging with management to discuss operations.daily estimates,supplies, workload, overtime,paperwork,materials,certs.,safety,6s.,lean, quality and engineering.Hardest part of job;dealing with inept managers,qualified by nepotism. Best part of job;getting it done right can do attitude, world class gleaming parts sent to next stage of the process,job satisfaction!
challenging
Operations (Former Employee), Tallassee, ALOctober 25, 2014
Environment is fast paced and challenging. Typical day requires staying power.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), El Cajon, CaliforniaOctober 3, 2014
• Manage customer accounts (liaison), daily communication by multi-line phone and email, checking status of parts, communication between shop, customer, and management
• Responsible for over $900,000.00 worth of aircraft engine parts while in the facility for repair
• Direct and delegate problems, procedures, processes between the customer and different departments (ie. Receiving, shipping, accounting, team leads and supervisors, engineering, quality, marketing, and upper management)
• Supervise and guide parts for customers from receiving to shipping approximately 20 days later
• Attend daily status meetings in ensure progress during the overhaul process, address equipment malfunctions, expedite parts, and relay information to the customer
• Create pricing sheets, submit for terms, quote customer pricing, approvals and submittals for repair and overhaul of engine products
• Generate and update charts, reports, credits, and pricing of units at the facility
It"s a good place to work
Composit worker (Current Employee), Tallassee, ALOctober 1, 2014
Pros: friendly people
Cons: health care
I move parts through out the plant I pull product from the warehouse to the plant unload truck keep the receiving dock clean
Parts Crib Assistant (Former Employee), Wellington KSSeptember 30, 2014
Pros: pay, management
Awesome entry level income. Very friendly and happy work environment
Challenging work with motivated hourly workers
Engineer (Former Employee), Tallassee, ALSeptember 29, 2014
The most enjoyable part is to watch the hourly associates grow and become aerospace employees with little or no basic background or education.
Great place to work for
Laborer (Former Employee), Wellington, KSSeptember 8, 2014
Pros: good to their employee's, bonses
Cons: was laid off
Worked in the Debur department there. loved the job. Management was good and they were good to their workers. Would have loved to have stayed. Was laid off.

1 2 3 4