GKN Aerospace Employee Reviews

A great place to work
Sr. NC Programmer (Former Employee) –  El Cajon, CADecember 14, 2017
I worked at this company for 26 years, and for the most part really enjoyed my experiences there. I would recommend this company to anybody. the project were varied enough to keep me interested.
Challenging business environment
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Hazelwood, MODecember 14, 2017
GKN Aerospace Division faced numerous business and financial challenges beginning around 2009 forward and has recently issued a stock price warning to its shareholders, fired the CEO and others. Moving forward they are set up for success and will hopefully turn around.
The work environment is very challenging, fast-paced and stressful.
Poor management, never able to move up, and low pay for what I was doing.
IT Helpdesk Specialist (Temporary Project) (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 13, 2017
Management didn't seem to know what they were doing the whole time I was there, I was told I could move up to a full time position after 3 Months, they then extended that by another 3 Months and again by another month or two with no end in sight. Since I was contracted I received no benefits, sick days, vacation days, or any days off which when they shut the plant down for a week caused me to lose a week's pay, and I was only being paid $13.00/hr at 30 or under hours a week which puts me under $20,000 a year.
Mismanaged Sinking Ship
Supply Chain Manager (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 12, 2017
What was once a thriving aerospace company known as McDonnell Douglas has declined to a job shop with failing infrastructure and equipment. No funding has been put into the facility and it appears that the location will close.
Pros
Payday
Cons
No future
GKN was a great place to work.
CNC Machinist Lead (Current Employee) –  El Cajon, CADecember 7, 2017
GKN offered all the qualities you would expect from a upper level manufacturing facility. Great operational standards, with quality and safety standards second to none.
Pros
Great work atmosphere
Cons
advancement
Clean, with top notch production machinery with safety features:
Manufacturing engineer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 21, 2017
Great place to work with good people and excellent work enviornment. Provides class room work related education and on the job training and coaching to produce a quicker productive worker........................
Pros
All Good
Cons
All Good
Not a fun place to work
Manufacturing Technician II (Former Employee) –  El Cajon, CANovember 20, 2017
Not a very good place to work bad management don't care about there employees human resources is also useless in this company I recommend not to work here
Pros
Its a pay check
Cons
No room for advancement
Would not recommend to anyone
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 20, 2017
Worked here for less than a year. As soon as I realized what the environment was like I left. There is little to no support so the area supervisor is left feeling like everything is left up to him or her to complete.
Pros
Pay, Insurance, Time off
Cons
Great people to work with but too much overhead and constant change in management structure
OV certified bonding mechanic (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 18, 2017
Great place overall to work . I've been here over 15 years and it's been the best thing in my life other than my 2 kids and my wife . I owe a lot to GKN
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Management, waste and inventory is out of control
layoffs
Machine Repair Mechanic (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MONovember 17, 2017
too many layoffs I worked there for ten months and had been laid off for over 2yrs I do not plan to go back. Benefits are good while employed there worked a lot of 7 day a week so plenty of overtime.
Great benefits, long hours
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Timberlake, NCNovember 7, 2017
GKN was a great place to work but if you had a family, it was very hard to balance any time.
Still, the employees become like family and you knew you could depend on each other
Pros
well paid
Cons
loss of family time
Profit over People
Confidential (Former Employee) –  Garden Grove, CAOctober 28, 2017
Management does not understand the full scope of employee work. High turnover has impacted quality and performance. High focus on profitability but not enough focus on employee development and continuous improvement. Employees do not have adequate tools to do their job. Most employees are overworked and under appreciated.
Place sucks
Cnc Machinist Technician (Former Employee) –  Wellington, KSOctober 26, 2017
I worked there for 11 yrs.no advancement possible.mandatory overtime is often.12 hour shifts are a real drag on home life.u work every other weekend.so if u have kids u can forget about saving vacation
Pros
Clean
Cons
12 hour shifts
Friendly enviornment
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAOctober 25, 2017
Great coworkers, friendly environment, lots of layoffs.
No room to advance, fair pay, massive layoffs after the president of the organization ensures all jobs are safe. Upper management is easy to approach.
Pros
Lots of parking
Cons
No cafeteria
Poor management and low pay
Technician (Current Employee) –  Cromwell, CTOctober 19, 2017
Low pay for technicians. Everyone is hired at same rate regardless of skill set. Hard work goes unoticed all they care about are parts made and part quota keeps increasing.
Pros
Learn a lot
Cons
low pay
Hardest part of the job was working in the rain.
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  El Cajon, CAOctober 19, 2017
I enjoying working at GKN with my Co-worker they made my job easier for me they show me how to do the job the right and I was always looking forward to going to work great time with GKN.
Pros
free lunches my co-workers was good to work with .
Cons
short breaks and lunches.
Was once a wonderful place to work
Senior Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Tallassee, ALOctober 12, 2017
Was once a wonderful place to work with sufficient staff to allow weekends off. Things have become increasingly stressful with more work and less people to perform this work, frequently required/pressured to work long hours & every weekend. Issues/changing requirements with customers increased demands on staff - no end in sight.
Pros
there is always work to do, will not get bored
Cons
Frequently pulled from one task to anotherh to battle the latest fire
Great Company
Heat Treat Technician (Former Employee) –  El Cajon, CAOctober 6, 2017
Great Place To Work and Grow Great Place To Learn Grow Compensation And Benefits Are Great Great Work Place Culture A Enjoyable Job to Have A Very Personally Feeling
Overtime when you want it, and when you don't
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Tallassee, ALSeptember 27, 2017
GKN Aerospace is first and foremost a production facility. They work hard and push hard to move product. New changes in management are promising, but it can feel that they are detached from the employees.

GKN tends to work a lot of overtime. If you are paid hourly, that can be nice. For salary employees, it really stinks.

Several different programs are worked at the facility, which allows for nice cross-training and internal movement when a product line is in a lull. Sometimes though, having multiple managers trying to drive the workload at once causes incredible frustrations.
Pros
Good benefits, friendly people, overtime is there when you want it
Cons
Long hours, lack of communication, overtime is there even when you don't want it
Extremely poor company to work for
Safety Engineer (Former Employee) –  Santa Ana, CASeptember 22, 2017
Management has no clue how to run a business, how to foster employee relationships, or how to manage employees. This resulted in 80% of the employees being laid off including myself.
Pros
Flex Hours - technologically advanced metals work & robotics
Cons
Very poor management leading to the loss of Boeing contract.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GKN Aerospace. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9