Gkn Driveline Employee Reviews

Manufacturing at it's finest with not so great management
CNC Machinist/Tool Room Skilled Support (Current Employee) –  Alamance, NCJuly 21, 2015
The job itself is a very enjoyable job. I get to come in write programs machine parts to conform with the global industry standard for induction hardening with limited to no supervision. Just after a while making the same parts time and time again can start to burn you out. The management in my opinion is poor. If your in the main office then maybe it's not so bad but the company has a hard time communicating with its employees. Not to mention the support roles that aid the manufacturing process tremendously have the least amount of budgeting. Operating on 15 year old machines, limited tooling, and lack of a designated work space for writing programs/designing parts should be factored in to the budgeting more. But I can understand where management is coming from because it is a support role not what really makes them money. However to make money you have to be willing to spend money and the support roles at GKN Driveline are on the last of their priorities. If it wasn't for the long commute and poor management I probably wouldn't be leaving so soon. The pay is pretty fair although the benefits could be better.
Pros
Pay is fairly decent
Cons
Poor management, lack of spending in support roles at the company, Sub par benefits.
Strong company
SMT 1 (Current Employee) –  Mebane, NCSeptember 9, 2014
GKN is a strong company that is the leading supplier of CVJ's to customers worldwide. I work 3rd shift, so the hardest part of the job is trying to be excited about coming into work after being on 3rd shift for 22 years. I enjoy what I do and am (in my opinion) very good at what I do. My coworkers are very easy to get along with and I enjoy working with them. I have learned alot about the machining process in the 22 years I have been here, as I did not have any machining experience when I came here. Management is fairly easy to work with and for the most part are fair. There could be better communication between mangement and the employees on the shop floor. The most enjoyable part of my job is actually doing my job. Figuring out why a machine won't hold size or whatever the problem may be, it's very self satisfying to find the problem, fix it and put the machine back into production.

A typical day for me at work: Come in and get a shift passdown from the previous shift on any problems that occurred with the equipment during their shift. If any change overs need to happen, I do them at the appropriate time and as efficiently as possisble. Check with operators throughout the shift to ensure their equipment and machines are running properly and efficiently producing quality parts.
Pros
good people to work with
Cons
lack of communication between management and employees, and working 3rd shift.
steady work, great schedule
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Newton, NCSeptember 15, 2015
I worked here for 7 months, and knew this was not the place for me.. They do not involve everyone.. The job description says they practice World-Class Manufactuing.. But there is no evidence of team iinvolvement. Machines are in poor mechanical working condition. Operators are not challenged to become involved. Dirty conditions existed, tools were being used that were in need of reconditioned. Cleaning was non existent. Poor compensation... They gave out small raises(.30) yearly to workers until they reached a top pay of $15.50 and some people around our area think this is ggood compared to $10/hr. I've been around Catawba County and I demand better conditions and compensation. Oh one more thing ..I've never worked at a place that didn't give you a break. They do not allow breaks...and they watch your bathroom breaks. We did have a 30 min lunch which was unpaid. This was an 8hr work schedule.
Pros
8hr work day
Cons
no breaks, dirty, saftey issues, management, cleanliness
line worker
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Mebane, NCSeptember 13, 2012
the job I did had very little time to think, but tools often read wrong and to fix (according to my supervisor was to "just hit/knock it back into wack". Was 2 man team, partner was nice/helpful. I was late my first day so the person who taught me kind of rushed and I didn't feel I got all the information about my position or equipment and asking the supervisor was not very helpful, he was always in a rush to check on all the other areas he was supervising and seemed to always be "creeping" around.
The hardest part was that it was none stop and breaks were taken in turn, so I or the 2nd man would be left alone for 15 minutes to work both machines at the station. Which I never fully understood, even though I was a temp only for 4 weeks.
Pros
had good partner
Cons
was too fast past and mistakes were made cause i didn't know
A productive and fast paced enviroment
Assembly line Operator (Former Employee) –  Maiden, NCMarch 17, 2014
A typical day a GKN Driveline was fast paced working environment. Its atmosphere was of multi-tasking and high performance. I learned to work under pressure,quick reflexes,quick thinking,strong communicating skills, and resolving reoccurring issues. Managment was continually teaching us to be more productive..Managment was also reassuring us how important it was to be safe and work in a timely productive manner. My co-workers were energetic and always willing to help. The hardest part of the job was staying focused when there was negativity and negative emotions on the floor. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with. Everyone was always ready to help and encourage one another..
Pros
learned new skills and enhanced productivity
Cons
it was only a temporary position
Precision manufacturing, good working environment.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Mebane, NCMay 5, 2014
Training was lacking. Machine technician was asked to train me and he was reluctant to do so. He was NOT a trainer and did not understand HOW to train. Work was demanding of attention to detail and precision measuring. Measuring devices and machinery needed maintenance. The maintenance that was performed was just enough to keep it working. Measuring devices were not consistent and some needed to be replaced but were "... too expensive to replace."
Pros
fair pay and generally good working conditions.
Cons
managment seemed reluctant to make necessary improvements.
Fun at times!
Team Member/ Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Roxboro, NCDecember 17, 2015
A typical work day at GKN is always safety first. I've learned how to coordinate a 6 man team and get the job done right. The hardest part of the job is working 7days week for months straight. The most enjoyable part of the job is co-worker coming together and having family meal together because as much time we spend together they are family.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
Short breaks
No advancement.
Operator (Current Employee) –  Santa AnaMarch 30, 2015
If you are applying as an Engineer this company is a great place to grow. If you're applying to just find a job it is frustrating at times because there are very l I mites opportunities to actually grow inside of the his company. Management does not encourage employees to go above and beyond at their job. Their only concern is for low level employees to come in and do the bare miminimum.
great place to work with great people to work with
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Roxboro, NCJune 3, 2014
a typical day at work was; for me, building half shafts and prop shafts for GM and ford. i learned the difference in sizes of parts, how to feed the line, how to operate the machines in the cell. my co-workers were awesome they know how to keep the day rolling, the hardest part of the job was that they ran out of parts sometimes and we would sometimes get sent home early.
Productive and fast paced work
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Roxboro, NCDecember 11, 2015
A good place to work but sometimes the employees can be very gossipy which causes problems in the workplace. the guy that was training me talked about people so much that he could not do his job but by us being temps the problem was blamed on us and we were let go.
Pros
Good benefits when hired
Cons
Very long hours
GKN culture varies from plant to plant
Quality Engineer (Former Employee) –  Newton, NCOctober 6, 2015
Alamance facility had a much different atmosphere and support systems in place than the Newton facility. Top heavy in Management with unskilled Engineering support and non existent training for specific skills needed to perform the job. Revolving door for frustrated professionals.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Management did not listen to problems identified, TS audit revealed major issues, Uncontrolled growth
Production driven Industrial work invironment
Metallurgist Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Mebane, NCMarch 11, 2014
A typical day at GKN was production driven. I learned how to test micro hardness, core hardness, and case depth of metals. Management was experienced in traditional industrial work environments. My co-workers worked 7 days a week and had very few days off. The hardest part of this job was the work schedule (7 days a week). I enjoyed working with older people.
Cons
work schedule
mostly productive,sometimes fun place to work.
machine operator (Current Employee) –  mebane nc.October 11, 2011
decent place to work if u r just looking for a steady job. due to the economy's down swing of 2008, the company has taken a few benefits from the employees (not insurance). the pay is good. but at the end of the day it is only a job & everybody needs one.
Pros
good pay
Cons
11 yrs & still on 2nd shift
Over the past i have learned that it takes a team effort to succed and communication is the key to make the work process flow well. I enjoy wrk ha
Machine operator (Former Employee) –  Roxsboro NCFebruary 26, 2014
rdest part of my day would be gettn rush orders. You have to rush but yoy also want the perfect quality. I most enyoy the people and being part of a team.
Great place for a career - enough said!
Operator Assembly Technician (Current Employee) –  Newton, NCMarch 14, 2015
Come work at GKN.....!

My greatest strengths include planning, coordinating, supervision & careful execution of major dining and catering events. I am proficient at record keeping, sales, regular inspections of food handling and sanitation procedures, as well as training new employees.
Challenging and Well-Paced Work Environment
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Newton, NCOctober 2, 2014
Learned new valuable skills and technologies that are utilized in the automotive manufacturing industry. Actively operated technologically driven machines to develop highly precise automotive parts being provided to our organizations vast amount of customers.
Pros
paid training
Cons
n/a
A great work place
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Roxboro, NCSeptember 29, 2014
A typical day at work is to push out those parts and the machines is not running right. I have learned how to build shafts parts to go inside of cars. The most enjoyable part of my jobs is for my managers to say we have done a good job.
A great learning experience
Builder/Assembler (Former Employee) –  Newton, NCMay 15, 2014
The most enjoyable part about working at GKN was getting to know all the co-workers. The management was great, very nice people. I learned to build car parts for big companies. Hardest part about the job was starting off as a temp.
Pros
good location
Cons
short breaks
Job not a career
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Timberlake, NCJuly 25, 2013
A typical work day includes operating machines and inspecting parts. I learned teamwork is a must to be productive. The hardest part of the job was being able to learned another job extremely fast in order to keep production moving.
Pros
work with a team, overtime
Cons
unpredictable work schedule
Not as good as they once were
Supplier Quality Engineer (Current Employee) –  Mebane, NCJanuary 29, 2016
The focus has shifted from being an engineering company to one focused heavily on the bottom line. An awful lot of skilled people work for GKN and it was a pleasure to interact with them.