GKN Employee Reviews

Experience employed for GKN
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Maiden, NCNovember 26, 2016
Employment for GKN was through a temp service. The pay was below honorable but the labor wasn't hard. Being laid off and asked to return to job decreased morale for employment with GKN.
Pros
Cons
low pay
Cozy place
Deburring operator (Former Employee) –  Amityville, NYNovember 14, 2016
I already miss working for GKN AEROSPACE I was laid off due to low work,because the company is facing a hard time.This company help me out to increase my skills in the manufacturing industry and I'm very grateful to them.
Closed for Business
Shipping and Receiving Manager (Former Employee) –  Richton Park, ILNovember 9, 2016
This place was shut down due to being investigated for monopolizing the industry in North America. Once the investigation took under way many people left....good people....and the business just took a nose dive after that.
Set-up Operator (Current Employee) –  Emporium, PAOctober 25, 2016
Decent place to work . Fast paced . Good people to work with . Medical insurance high priced . Good communication with employees.. decent pay And give chances to Learn more.
Good environment
CNC Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYOctober 11, 2016
Good company to work for. They are dedicated to a safe work environment. the compensation/benefits are fair. Management is good at taking care of any issues that may arise.
Great employees to work with
Engineer (Current Employee) –  El Cajon, CAOctober 10, 2016
Stable work
medical is not good compared to other companies
advancement not likely,external most of the time
Lots of hourly employee turn over our pay is low
Pros
coffee and tea perk
Productive and fast paced place to work
Machine Operator/ Utility (Former Employee) –  Salem, INAugust 29, 2016
While at GKN, I was given the opportunity to cross train on nearly everything besides management. I loved being able to hop right in and take over if someone needed help. I felt as if I were an asset to the company.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Denied benefits and proper pay due to temporary agency
All good
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 24, 2016
All good, lost contract is causing labor cut backs.
Great people to work with.
Good friendly management, flexible hours, work setting good.
Many different programs working but winding down, new work is being pursued for the future.
Very Hot envirment
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Manitowoc, WIJuly 13, 2016
My typical day at work was really fast because it was so many parts you had to push out by the hour I always reached my goal every day. I learned to be careful with the work I do cause if you don't you really can hurt yourself for life.
productive and fast pace
Production supervisor (Former Employee) –  Gallipolis, OHJune 10, 2016
Enjoy supervision and a fast pace. Like meeting goals or surpassing them, always get to know my staff so we can all succeed and keep the company going strong. I have learned over the past 23 years of working, you get out of your employees what you put into them. Have always had a great relationship with my employees and a strong understanding we are all there for the same reason, work, make a living for our families and make sure the company does not fail. I have always looked forward to getting up and going to work.
Pros
work as many hours as I wanted
Cons
Management really didnt support the salary side, or have our backs, let workers abuse FMLA daily
Very poor experience
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Manitowoc, WIJune 8, 2016
The management team is very poor at doing their job. Their idea of lean is to run equipment to failure, mandate people to work 12 days on in a row, and expect you to be thankful. HR is only at this company to do a minimum for the employees. Do more, expect less, and that's that with this company.
Pros
Few
Cons
Too many to list
great people to work
CNC Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Mebane, NCApril 20, 2016
great place to work if u don't mind oil and metal shavings.you learn how to fix and operate many machines at once .major of the time unsupervised .hardest part is changing over the machine to the next part if u don't pay attention to what you are doing.
Cons
no life working seven days for six months straight on third
productive place to work
Processor 1 (Current Employee) –  El Cajon, CAApril 8, 2016
very exciting place to work at. blasting, blending masking parts. replacing grit from blaster and fixing damaged equipment when damged.
Fun and Personable place to work. Managed well and efficiently. Holidays were observed. Weekends were available. Executive Officers were great.
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Armstrong, IAApril 6, 2016
Progressive team for the future of the company and well being of the employees. Work hours were between 3 shifts and managed well. Co-Workers were respectful, friendly and hard working.
Pros
Professional Atmosphere
Cons
Lay Offs are common
Manufacturing Powder Compaction Tooling
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Kersey, PAMarch 14, 2016
Producing 100% quality on time tooling for 8 facilities in North America. A very fast paced production tooling environment.
Pros
Technology
Cons
benifits and work shecdule made it hard to enjoy family
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Salem, INMarch 9, 2016
typical day at work, may include rebuild on compaction presses to a simple conveyor rebuild, basic trouble shooting of equipment.
Pros
good hourly wage
Cons
insurance expensive and co workers not friendly
GKN is good company for Speed School students to complete there co-op requirements.
Co-op Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee) –  Salem, INFebruary 11, 2016
At GKN Sinter Metals, a co-op manufacturing engineer's goal is to improve the efficiency and safety of equipment producing powder metal components. Additional requirements include providing assistance to Equipment Development, Process Engineering, and Maintenance. These goals were met by using 2-D CAD and 3-D modeling to update floor plans and design conveying systems, tooling, and machine guards. Co-op manufacturing engineers build many of their projects in the machine shop using a variety of mills, lathes, and grinders.
Pros
Close to the University of Louisville.
Cons
Dirty place to work.
this is a nice place to work
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Emporium, PAJanuary 26, 2016
My day at work is good, I have learned a lot doing my job on the different machines. The management people are ok. My coworkers are nice people to work with.The hardest part of the job is the sever twisting and turning. Is talking with some of the other employees.
Very close knit production and management atmosphere
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Estherville, IAJanuary 15, 2016
The employees have say in plant operations, the atmosphere is very business/family orientated. The training is done very well. The supervisors are very helpful. The three shifts are very well coordinated and help each other out. It is a very good team orientated, as well as some individualism as far as having ideas heard to improve production.
Pros
Employee feed back taken and meetings to decide
Cons
lots of turnover
Small company taking big risk
Value Stream Leader (Current Employee) –  Conover, NCJanuary 15, 2016
Company outlook is negative. Limited knowledge of jobs from recent turnover in management. Company taking large risk with a huge investment in an unproven part. Little room for advancement within this small division of the company currently at this location. No job security pertaining to shift. Many employees frequently required to transfer shifts against their own will or leave.
Pros
Lots of hours
Cons
Short notice of weekend work (almost every week), work life balance, advancement opportunity