GKN Employee Reviews in United States

Fun and Personable place to work. Managed well and efficiently. Holidays were observed. Weekends were available. Executive Officers were great.
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Armstrong, IAApril 6, 2016
Progressive team for the future of the company and well being of the employees. Work hours were between 3 shifts and managed well. Co-Workers were respectful, friendly and hard working.
Pros
Professional Atmosphere
Cons
Lay Offs are common
GKN is good company for Speed School students to complete there co-op requirements.
Co-op Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee) –  Salem, INFebruary 11, 2016
At GKN Sinter Metals, a co-op manufacturing engineer's goal is to improve the efficiency and safety of equipment producing powder metal components. Additional requirements include providing assistance to Equipment Development, Process Engineering, and Maintenance. These goals were met by using 2-D CAD and 3-D modeling to update floor plans and design conveying systems, tooling, and machine guards. Co-op manufacturing engineers build many of their projects in the machine shop using a variety of mills, lathes, and grinders.
Pros
Close to the University of Louisville.
Cons
Dirty place to work.
great people to work
CNC Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Mebane, NCApril 20, 2016
great place to work if u don't mind oil and metal shavings.you learn how to fix and operate many machines at once .major of the time unsupervised .hardest part is changing over the machine to the next part if u don't pay attention to what you are doing.
Cons
no life working seven days for six months straight on third
Very poor experience
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Manitowoc, WIJune 8, 2016
The management team is very poor at doing their job. Their idea of lean is to run equipment to failure, mandate people to work 12 days on in a row, and expect you to be thankful. HR is only at this company to do a minimum for the employees. Do more, expect less, and that's that with this company.
Pros
Few
Cons
Too many to list
Small company taking big risk
Value Stream Leader (Current Employee) –  Conover, NCJanuary 15, 2016
Company outlook is negative. Limited knowledge of jobs from recent turnover in management. Company taking large risk with a huge investment in an unproven part. Little room for advancement within this small division of the company currently at this location. No job security pertaining to shift. Many employees frequently required to transfer shifts against their own will or leave.
Pros
Lots of hours
Cons
Short notice of weekend work (almost every week), work life balance, advancement opportunity
Very close knit production and management atmosphere
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Estherville, IAJanuary 15, 2016
The employees have say in plant operations, the atmosphere is very business/family orientated. The training is done very well. The supervisors are very helpful. The three shifts are very well coordinated and help each other out. It is a very good team orientated, as well as some individualism as far as having ideas heard to improve production.
Pros
Employee feed back taken and meetings to decide
Cons
lots of turnover
This is a temporary job through staffing service
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Mebane, NCDecember 30, 2015
A typical day at work consists of walking from one area to another to repair downed machines. I have acquired more knowledge through application about the PLCs. I work with a great group of people. The hardest part of my job is the required long hours and days with little time off to be with family and tend to personal affairs. The most enjoyable part of my job is honing my machine maintenance and PLC skills and interacting with other employees.
Pros
Made new friends and have opportunity to build my PLC knowledge
Cons
I am temporary with no benefits
benifits and work shecdule made it hard to enjoy family
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Salem, INMarch 9, 2016
typical day at work, may include rebuild on compaction presses to a simple conveyor rebuild, basic trouble shooting of equipment.
Pros
good hourly wage
Cons
insurance expensive and co workers not friendly
this is a nice place to work
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Emporium, PAJanuary 26, 2016
My day at work is good, I have learned a lot doing my job on the different machines. The management people are ok. My coworkers are nice people to work with.The hardest part of the job is the sever twisting and turning. Is talking with some of the other employees.
Creativity, fun, style.
Tool Crib Clerk (Former Employee) –  El Cajon, CANovember 3, 2015
Busy workplace and friendly outgoing customers. A lot of product being shipped in and out for the beauty industry and their customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to meet a lot of interesting people with different sense of styles. I got to learn a lot of fun ways to open my mind to fun and different dynamics of art and skill.
Pros
Got to take free classes on beauty and new product.
Cons
No advancement opportunity.
Manufacturing Powder Compaction Tooling
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Kersey, PAMarch 14, 2016
Producing 100% quality on time tooling for 8 facilities in North America. A very fast paced production tooling environment.
Pros
Technology
ok
Forklift Operator/ Scale Operator (Former Employee) –  Timberlake, NCDecember 28, 2015
Staging work parts onto carts with use of forklift

· Taking staged parts to different work lines in factory with use of tugger
•Return of empty carts
•Weighted all finish freight to ensure accuracy
•Record data and labelled pallet to prepare for shipment
All or none
Laborer/Operator (Former Employee) –  Salem, INOctober 6, 2015
I went in everyday and worked hard. It took me a while to decide that this job was not for me. The supervisors I had came from the floor, so many of them understood the problems that would come up out of nowhere. They are easy to talk to. My co-workers are the best thing about that place. We had to work so much that we became a family. We seen each other more than our real families. Best group of people I have ever worked with.
Pros
Pretty good pay
Cons
You will more than likely only see our family one weekend a month
Poor
Technician (Former Employee) –  WisconsinDecember 31, 2015
Not feeling any fulfillment of the job.
How to become a Technician.
Don't like how management treats employees.
Ok to work with.
Not being utilized.
When it is time to go and payday.
Pros
Job Experience, Pay
Cons
Poor Management, Poor utilization of employees
productive place to work
Processor 1 (Current Employee) –  El Cajon, CAApril 8, 2016
very exciting place to work at. blasting, blending masking parts. replacing grit from blaster and fixing damaged equipment when damged.
Good place to start off
ASSISTANT LINE LEADER (Former Employee) –  Roxboro, NCJanuary 11, 2016
Good place to start off with. Worked here for about 2 years. Learned a lot about team work and working by myself. I have worked on my own machines to get them back up and running.
Walk the talk
SITE CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT LEADER (Current Employee) –  Germantown, WISeptember 30, 2015
There is a terrible disconnect that appears to be common in many larger organizations of this size. There is a desire to be a Lean Manufacturer, but they just don't understand how to get there. Lean starts at the production floor and not from management to the process and shop floor workers.

They will continue to fight the same battles every day until they truly embrace what it means to be lean, to create a lean culture. In order to have every person, every day working to achieve a common goal, the goals must be clear to all and the objectives understood by all. The management team does not understand how to accomplish this, much less understand what sustained improvements look like.

They have many Lean tools developed in a corporate think tank, but are clueless on how to apply them.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Everything else
Hard work
Cell A Technician (Former Employee) –  Timberlake, NCSeptember 10, 2015
Building FWD drive shafts for various lines of automobiles in a repetitive style. Learned how to build an automobile car part. The management sucked, would not be promoted if you life depended on it, they have a lot of know it all's at that place, a lot of different personalities to get along with on your line, it is nothing for one of your co-workers to curse you out and think nothing of it. The hardest part of the job was getting along with your coordinator, the machines half running, and sorts. The most enjoyable part for me was going home at the end of the shift.
Pros
Family Friend Days at Carowinds and places like this
Cons
Not being able to be promoted within & the point system for being late
not very friendly
sheet matal (Former Employee) –  Wellington, KSNovember 6, 2015
not a good place to work.no guidance from co-workers.way to much overtime....Foreman never around and have favorites.HR is not there for employees,they punish for mistakes. and have no personal time build up.
Pros
it was close to home
Cons
no human compassion
Good place to work!
Set up and machine operator (Former Employee) –  Sanford, NCNovember 7, 2015
Good place to work with supportive management. It is a stable company with good benefits. Provides yearly family outings. Enjoyed working for 18 years with this company.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
May need to take a shift you don't want