GLACIER WATER Employee Reviews

Great company to work for!
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  North Hollywood, CAApril 30, 2017
Management is very proactive and they considerate to their employs. Management is flexable and are helpful for support when needed doing our service route.
Pros
Flexable
Cons
A fun job with lack of pay and management support
Ice and water vending machine technician (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CASeptember 1, 2016
Typical day at work: start around 6 am and drive to multiple service locations and perform routine maintenance on water and ice vending machines, including collecting and securing all monies.

I leaned (self taught) how to maintain, diagnose and repair in store bagging ice machines and was considered as very proficient, I also learned basic plumbing and electrical diagnosis and repair.

Management in my district was very demanding with below average support of the basic parts, supplies and training to complete your job properly.

I feel I had a very good report with my co-workers as we routinely would communicate and support each other.

The hardest part of my job was the lack of management support and below average earnings.

The best part of this job was you are basically in charge of your whole day, many days out doors, contact on a regular basis with customers and the public and many hours of driving in various conditions which I like.
Being own boss and company car
Utility Technician (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 14, 2016
Everyday was something new, either a new place or machine. I would drive 100 to 300 miles a day. Management was good in my opinion. The hardest part of the job was not knowing when exactly you would be home. I learned everything from electrical to plumbing and water treatment.
Pros
overtime, company car
Cons
not knowing when you get home
Poor management with no experience.
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Chehalis, WAApril 30, 2016
The past reviews on here for Arizona and Washington are not correct. They were written by current management in the event to try and make their territories look good. Beware of taking a job here unless you like being talked down to, followed by management sitting around your house spying on you, and like being on call 24/7 with low wages. This company hires people at a better wage then the employees that have been here for years. The techs who work here are generally good people and fun to work with if they last. They never do though. With how much they pay people the management needs to act like true professionals or the turnover rate is never going to change.
Pros
Ability to work on your own and sometimes make your own schedule.
Cons
Management!!!!!!!!!!!!!
freedom with flexability.
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 19, 2016
Repairing water machines and collecting monies.Helping customers with any water related problems and issues.My co workers were great guys and fun to work with.I learned a great deal about the value of water and the whole process about the functions that is needed to clean water.My hardest part of working for Glaicier was the slowness of moving up in the company.I really enjoyed the freedom and easy going flow of the job.
Pros
flexability, time managment.
Cons
good wage for area, promotion within to managment
Under payed
Water Technician (Current Employee) –  Madera, CAJanuary 25, 2016
You get trained a year after you have worked there if at all .Your expected to get all your work done in eight hours even though it should be done in 10 hours to be done correctly.You get written up for accidents that are not your fault.Underpaid for this industry.Owners of company are money hungry cheapskate that mainly hire Mexicans with green cards or retirement age Asians .
Pros
Paid Holidays, Two weeks of paid vacation a year. You learn a lot and become more independent .
Cons
Low wages. Mandatory work at least one weekend a month.
it was a good company to work for.
Electrical-Mechanical Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 11, 2015
Followed daily route servicing 12-15 water vending machines per day. Was responsible for collecting and turning in the money for each machine.Parts ordering,maintaing company truck,helping out follow co workers,and being on call. The best part of the job was keeping my machines clean and in good working order. The worst part was working out in the rain.
Pros
I could adjust my hours and days.
Cons
Working in the rain.
Long time employee that has seen it all
Service technician (Current Employee) –  Niles,MiSeptember 10, 2015
Being an employee for 16 years(was previous employee of company Glacier Acquired) I have seen lots. To start with management that is always changing. More people have come and gone than I can remember. The corporate office has no clue whats going on in the field because they never visit it.
The pay is pretty low considering I only make a little more than a dollar for each year I have been here. Top pay for a Technician is $18 and that is even here 30 years. Luckily my wife works and my kids are grown or could never live off.
Normal day is staring from home with company car and heading to locations to bill and service water vending machines. Have service calls have to juggle at the same time. I like on the snow melt of Michigan along Lake Michigan and have a two wheel drive van. Have gotten stuck many times and even reprimanded for it but no choice because had to work.
This has become a hard place to work for but at this point in my life what else can I do.
My advice is go to college. This is a job for a retired person or young person without a family.Its very big brother and they monitor everything.
Pros
Company car, free gas to use for personal use. Freedom to work 4 day work week for years
Cons
Low pay, management that is always changing. On call always. No advancement
Not a Career
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Vista, CAAugust 27, 2015
There is a HUGE lack of communication at this company which makes for a frustrating work environment. There is no room for advancement so if you are looking for a career this isn't the place to work. The pay is below average for what is expected from you.
Pros
flexible work schedules
Cons
Low pay, lack of communication, poor management
Unconfident Management with well below average pay
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  MichiganJuly 20, 2015
After many years as Employee it is refreshing not to be still working for Glacier. The Management up to CEO has little Education. District, Division and most of in Corporate office without even a bachelors Degree.
The turnover is so high that in my time there had seen over 30 people come and go. Many district and division managers fired and moved on to better opportunities.
You certainly cant support a family on pay offered. Luckily I had a pension from previous job to help.
Leaving was the best thing that ever happened to me and doubled my yearly income.

There are some good people working there and stuck because have been employed so long and have no education or job skills that could use anywhere else.
Great job for college student or retire looking for extra income but certainly not a career.
The freedom of having company vehicle was nice and making own schedule and working when likes was nice also but not worth the trade of low pay and poor management.
No real job skills required to do job and not much could transfer over into any out job is a huge downfall.
Pros
Company car for personal use, flexible, ease of job.
Cons
Management with no clue, near minimum wages, no career skills to transfer over.
requires a 24/7 dedication
Service Technician/Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMay 6, 2015
Glacier Water had great ins benifits. The company requires you be on call everyweekend. Great for someone with no kids or life.
If you like to work a lot and make a little, this is the place for you.
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston TXApril 3, 2015
Local management is decent, they actually have a brain and can make good decisions. Corporate in Vista California has their head on backwards. They come down from California and preach like they understand you and appreciate you. Then go back to California to drive their BMW home to their nice house, all while your making 12-13$ an hour.
When you finally get a raise, if you beg and your performance is excellent, you will be lucky to get 50 cents, but will likely get an even lower raise. Politics. Pay is entirely controlled by corporate.

This is a skilled trade, requires knowledge and a good mechanical understanding to do the job efficiently. So given the low pay, they end up hiring people straight off the street, with zero experience to do the job. Which is fine, if the person did not consider McDonald's a career before coming to glacier.

Turnover is bad. I would expect the turnover here to be normal for a Walmart type environment. Some get fired, some quit. Most quit because of pay. Some quit because of the gestapo like corporate. They will watch you, how long you were at a certain place, when you left there etc. They will watch your speed. THEY WILL CHANGE YOUR TIME SHEET BASED ON WHAT TIME YOUR TRUCK STARTS. THEY WILL NOT PAY YOU FOR WORKING THROUGH LUNCH. They will deduct time from your sheet to cover their butts in a legal perspective. All of this is illegal.

If you have to work at home for an hour or so, you will either not get paid, be questioned about it, up to being fired. Management knows how the job works, they know you have to do things at home sometimes,
  more... but the second you get on their bad side, they will find the ammunition to fire you.

Their installers are allowed to work, doing plumbing, without either a plumbing license, nor a water treatment license, The service technicians the same. Plumbing code does not exist to glacier water, which puts the health and safety of the water in those machines at risk.

Overall, this is a wonderful temporary job. In the long run, you will not make any money. You want to work somewhere 20 years and top out at 19.00/hr this place is for you. If your fine with oversight(lack of trust), having your time sheet illegally changed, and working a minimum of 55 hours a week. This place is for you.
Pros
Unlimited overtime, benefits, management, flexible hours, work truck
Cons
Corporate is horrible, pay is low, big brother mentality, illegal modification of time sheet
Industry leader- Sinking Ship
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  South Bend In.March 16, 2015
Glacier Water struggles to exceed mediocrity in every aspect of its venture. The company continues to lose valuable employees because it refuses to acknowledge their importance. Everyone is treated as interchangeable and unimportant. Huge turnover rate as have seen over 50 come and go in my time here. Pay tops out at $19 an hour which is very low for years in service.
Pros
Flexibilty
Cons
egree of separation between upper management and analysts, limited advancement opportunities within the technical roles, low pay
Poor Management with little to no advancement, Poor pay
Warehouse (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis InFebruary 2, 2015
Management is poor at best, no education or management skills.
Talk down to you as a person, talks on phone all day to wife and plays games on computer.
Very high turnover in Management and coworkers.
Haven't been here long but have been told always new employees and have seen a lot come and go.
Corporate office and staff has no clue of whats happening. HR is a joke.
Lack of training
Zero real advancement opportunity
Couldn't support a family on or hardly myself with poor pay
Pros
Like my coworkers, easy work.
Cons
Poor Management, low pay, no advancement, warehouse is cold in Winter, very high turnover
It is a wonderful company to work for. Everyone are true professionals, and very loving, like family.
Shipping Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Vista, CAJanuary 25, 2015
Clock in at 6am, open warehouse, log-in forklift inspection sheet, pull parts and deliverthem to production department. Pull, pack and ship parts to district offices. Receive, count and inspect parts to be used in production. Log all invoices stock parts in its locations. Meet with and discuss as well as resolve problems and or delays in day to day activities. Glacier water management team are highly skilled and successfull in maintaining a very good work enviorment, helping push production to succeed and excel in all phases of production. Very people friendly which makes working for the company desirable. Co-workers are an extention of family.
Pros
Free water and ice
Cons
Honestly there were none
Peaceful work environment
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Glendale, CAAugust 28, 2012
Less communication with coworkers as drivers on route work alone. Great job with little to no stress.
fun place to work with alot of work to be done
Facility Technician/ Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Vista, CAMarch 11, 2012
I had a good time working here, all the people were very nice and also hard working. There is always a lot of work to do here and everyone here has what it takes to do it. good schedule and good location