GlaxoSmithKline Employee Reviews

Professional working environment with good management, adequate equipment and working tools
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 6, 2017
A nice place to work although I felt they had too many passwords and security levels to muddle through. Everyone was required to sign into 3 or 4 different systems before being able to work. When leaving your work station you would only get a few minutes before you were forced off the system and then have to re-enter those same 3 or 4 systems to get back to what you were doing. I realize security is very important but making your trusted personnel have to sign in and out constantly became very aggravating over time.
Pros
Professional Environment
Cons
Long Commute
New location is more dynamic place and has very diverse culture
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Township of Warren, NJDecember 26, 2016
In the recent years, the organization went through periodic changes with senior management, employees and ways of working. There were continuous changes so employees were always confused on the process to follow.

Co-workers are very friendly and easy to work with. With the recent joint venture with Novartis, the Consumer Health division is still setting up an agreeable ways of working but groupism between the two sets of employees still exists and may take some time to overcome.
Stable and rewarding place to work
Service Owner (Former Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCNovember 27, 2016
GSK is a rewarding place to work, with an extensive history of high quality products and research that saves lives. I learned after 27 years of work that there are opportunities for careers, co-workers were overall good to work with. The hardest part of the job was not knowing when pharmaceutical industry changes occurred and how that would impact my job. The most enjoyable part of the job was being appreciated for my work and being recognized through job promotions or career changes.
Pros
Employee benefits, competitive pay/bonuses
Cons
Health benefit fees seem to go up each year; many changes in environment restructuring common
A very focused, supportive team structure as befit the role of a self-contained Phase I Clinical Trials Unit.
Sr. Clinical Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 20, 2016
The Phase I Clinical Trials Unit at the Presbyterian/UPenn campus was a complete, locked-down controlled environment for conducting safety and efficacy first-in -human studies of GSK pharmaceuticals mostly on healthy volunteers, although occasionally involving symptomatic patients.My experience there was unreservedly positive and pleasant. The full team worked as closely as any I had ever experienced resulting in a very caring, stimulating environment.
Pros
Close team environment
Cons
Corporate decision to close unit in 2002 ended all of the above positive experiences.
Sr Pharmaceutical rep
Sr Pharmaceutical Sales Rep Respiratory Division (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXJanuary 18, 2017
in my last position with GSK, the then CEO had decided that the company would no longer bonus the representatives based on sales. The new model was to see how well employees took tests that we were not given the info on what we scored at the end.
Pros
I worked with great representatives
Cons
Won the Highest sales award for the year and then was laid off
had fun !! very convienientt location, and plenty of free employee parking, they had labs their and sometime lots of free food !!!!!
Systems Programmer / Mainframe Tester (Former Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCNovember 30, 2016
great datacenter to work for,,it was just like the shops up on Wall St.
hours and location was very convienent !Also had tons of food outside labs, and the same in delaware,
Pros
loved systems work traveling to hot sites
Cons
short lived contract, loved systems work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAJanuary 13, 2017
The Pharma industry is unpredictable. Within the first week of hire a drug was pulled from the market by the FDA. My employment was met with announcements of an upcoming major lay-off. We were expected to re-apply for our positions. Although I was "re-hired," I chose a VSP for personal reasons.
Pros
Training and medical benefits
Cons
Security of employment
Great company for many years, but lost their way
Executive Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCJanuary 9, 2017
I loved working at GSK. I was very successful and had the opportunity to launch many innovative products. They had products across many therapeutic areas. Our management was forward looking and gave us opportunities to succeed. New vision came along and the company deteriorated.
Excellent experience
Ph.D. co-op intern (Current Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAJanuary 4, 2017
I am fully satisfied with the work culture and work environment in GSK. Folks are here very helpful and encouraging. They are the real team builder. They care for you and want to help in the future. In the team, you have your say, and they listen to everyone, even if the idea was a stupid one.
Pros
Lively enviornment
Cons
short break
Excellent Company to work for; Many extracurricolar and sporting activities available..
Investigator (Former Employee) –  Upper Providence, PADecember 4, 2016
An excellent state of the art company to work for. Very innovative
scientists to work with, with great resources for exploratory research
leading to novel products directed at human diseases. A good working culture with great people.
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Collegeville, PAJanuary 11, 2017
Strong Company Culture with Important Values in Integrity, Transparency, Honesty and Respect. The most enjoyable part of the job is the culture and the team of people you get to work with.
Pros
Occassional Work from home
Fast pace and always something new to learn as projects changed.
Clinical Study Associate (Former Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCOctober 6, 2016
Enjoyed working with sites. Training sites and helping them to achieve success on the project. Co-workers were willing to help each other, we all felt like family. We celebrated births, wedding and cried when someone lost a family member.
Pros
Hours worked per week
Cons
No assigned workspace.
Not the company it used to be...
GLOBAL COMPENSATION PROJECTS MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 30, 2016
Over the last 5 years the global focus has moved east with less and less focus on North America. This has resulted in a culture where the US has been milked for revenue without substantial investment in jobs and management.

It used to be a fun and friendly environment to work in. Now the culture is vastly different.
Cons
No senior leadership based in the US.
Top tier global pharmaceutical company
Sr. Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA and Minneapolis, MNAugust 16, 2016
GSK is an amazing company with many great products. I believe in their mission to make lives better. They are a truly global company with a presence in over 100 countries.
Pros
Excellent people (some of the smartest I have ever known), excellent compensation, excellent products
Cons
Difficult culture. Mergers and acquisitions have eliminated many roles, and redesigned responsibilities.
Good place to learn new science
Associate Scientist, Medicinal Chemistry (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PADecember 21, 2016
Fourteen step synthesis of a lead molecule which had a significant impact on the project progress in a billion-dollar cardiovascular program by providing milestone comparative data for potency and selectivity.
Great Place
Warehouse Operator (Current Employee) –  Zebulon, NCJuly 30, 2016
Excellent work Life Balance. Was able to learn a lot from great people who were eagerly willing to provide expertise and guidance

Excellent company to work for very positive work environment . GSK is type of company that encourages growth and rewards employees for excellence with generous bonus compensation. Great benefits. I would love to team up with this company again.

A very enjoyable place to work. The people are very friendly and easy to get along with. The most fun part of the job is the learning part there is always something new to learn. Management allows you to work at you own pace. The hardest part of this job is that this position is ending.
Pros
Everybody Friendely
Cons
Well im a Temp trying to make it in
Great company now going thru a transitional period.
Senior Executive Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCJanuary 17, 2017
Good company with good products. Have good research efforts and attempting to develop good Rx products. Great benefits for all employees.
Cons
Not enough senior/mature management personnel.
A good family enviroment and feeling.
Manufacturing Associate II (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDJanuary 5, 2017
A very good company that has a lot of dedicated employees. The supervisors are very experienced and provide a strong back bone to the company.
Pros
Many different schedules available
Cons
Limited area for advancement.
Busy, but always met deadlines
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia Navy YardAugust 10, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my job was my co-workers. We were more like family.

My days were busy with making travel arrangements, entering time records, reviewing emails, etc.

I did learn Excel and Powerpoint, but never got a chance to use it that much in my position.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Our move from Center City to the Navy Yard
Very productive and career orianted workplace
Manufacturing cleaner (Former Employee) –  Oak Hill, NYSeptember 23, 2016
Great place to work for. Great co-workers. Very caring and helpful supervisors. Very safe place to work. All osha safety guidelines and company guidelines followed and respected to ensure a safe and productive work environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GlaxoSmithKline. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2