GlaxoSmithKline Employee Reviews

Glaxo Smith Kline provided a fulfilling sales career with ample opportunity for advancement and the ability to earn a rewarding living for my family.
Multiple job Titles in the Field sales division (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CA Phoenix, AZ Metro Area Tucson, AZJune 26, 2012
A typical day begins by reviewing your plan and to-do list for the day, checking email and voice mail before heading out for the day,and ensuring you have everything in the car that you will need for the day. The morning is spent calling on physicians, promoting your assigned products, reporting calls and accounting for samples. At noon you check email and voice mail. You spend the afternoon calling on physicians, promoting your assigned products, reporting calls and accounting for samples. At the end of the day you ensure all call and sample activity has been reported for the day, plan the day for tomorrow, prioritize your to-do list for tomorrow, check email and voice mail, and pack your car with the materials you will need for tomorrow. In addition, some days you might have a breakfast meeting, or a lunch meeting, or an evening speaker event to be prepared for. I made it a habit to read about the industry, managed care, a product, a competitive product, or a disease state for 1 hour each night Sunday - Thursday to keep my knowledge strong.

I learned that diligent preparation with my knowledge and promotional materials combined with thorough territory analysis, call planning and plan execution significantly increases the probability of sales success.

My co-workers were a joy to work with. We were professionals, driven to succeede, and worked hard to achieve our goals. We would willingly share best practices for difficult offices or situations.

The most difficult part of the job was as a district manager when I had to terminate someone for consistent non-achievement of quarterly
  more... goals, even though they were doing their best.

The most enjoyable part of the job was when there was an opportunity to demonstrate the proper use of a product to a physician and then place the product in the physician's hands and walk them through the steps to using the product safely and effectively. Examples: Walking a physician and NICU nurses through the mixing and administration of a new surfactant to a premature baby. Walking an anesthesiologist through the steps to safely and effectively administer an ultra-short half-life narcotic to a patient undergoing surgery.
Pros
rewarding work, great people to work with, opportunity for advancement, and provides daily challenges to overcome.
Cons
rankings and bonuses became primarily based on activity perameters, rather than on productivity perameters (sales).
Great environment with caring co-workers.
Financial Revenue Cycle Specialist (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 13, 2015
-My work day comprises of pulling my query and separating it from highest dollar and customers that have not been called on within the last 7 days. I receive (as well as my team) incoming calls at a high rate while still keeping my query up to date. Majority of my time is spent on the phone helping customers with any issue I can. Throughout a day I could receive anywhere from 20-40 issues with customers as well as making 30+ outgoing calls per day.

-With this company, I have learned that working in a team environment helps to solve issues. Without the help of notes on accounts from your teammates, it would make the process a lot more difficult to please the customer. I have gained a new perspective on the definition of hard work and I am grateful to share this experience with my co-workers.

-Management is hands on and helpful with any questions or concerns you may have. Every aspect of your job is overlooked and being monitored. Keeping conversations as professional as possible will help you develop the skills passed down by upper-management.

-The co-workers are helpful and understand the daily routine that comes with the job. By working together it makes each individual's job easier. We have a tight knit group and want the best for each other so it helps when issues need to be resolved quickly.

-The hardest part of this job is dealing with upset or angry customers on a daily basis. Our job is to solve the issue at hand as fast as possible so the customer feels relieved. Apologizing and making sure the customer is taken care of before ending the conversation is the goal.
  more...

-The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to solve issues on a daily basis for each customer. There is no better feeling than solving a customer's issue and preventing issues in the future.
Pros
flexible working conditions, great hours, good pay.
Cons
short lunch, no benefits.
Pharmecutical company that produces Goody Powder and other pain medications
Compounder (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 28, 2015
Get to work area assigments are delegated (Mixer), two member of team responsible for Charging raw material into mixer to be mixed for specific amount of time before team is assemble for next step in process.Next, charged product is then dumped from mixer onto trays which are then placed on racks that are put into ovens thats cooked for period of six hours. Remove racks from ovens place in staging area to cool before dumping trays into drum to be milled into final product. I learned too operate mixer read batch order and operate ovens.Mananger Checked all batch order upon completion to assure accuracy even though each step of process is sign off on by operator following each step of process.Co-worker were each responsible a certain task such as Mixer(2), Unloading, Loading trays into racks and placing in ovens,(2) Oven Attendant, monitor ovens remove racks from ovens and replace charts on graph,Forklift operator(1), responsible for loading Mezzaline with raw materials,remove all waste and moving all finished product in holding area to be milled.Hardest part of job was learning how to run mixer. The most enjoyable part of the job was Out producing the other two shifts. Production was 13 batches per 12 hour shift our goal was 15 or more if possible.
Pros
good pay, error proof process, stoll forward work schedule and close proximity to my home
Cons
rarely hire permanantly, contingent worker, only two breaks per night
A very good company loosing their pedigree
Respiratory Specialty Representative (Current Employee) –  West Central PennsylvaniaOctober 15, 2014
GlaxoSmithKline is a great company that has fallen on very difficult times. Due to mistakes made by our Management, we are now under a very repressive CIA agreement which makes our job, interactions with our customers and any hope of advancement very bleak. My co-workers are some of the best people that I have ever encountered. They are motivated, hard working and holding up extrodinarly well in an almost impossible situation. Our first line managers are likewise trying to do the best job they can in an organization that is hostile to its own sales force, and very structured.
The best part of the job, without a doubt, are my offices and the doctors I call on and work with daily. They are fantastic. My teammates at GSK likewise make this job fun and very entertaining. They are some of the best people I have ever met.
The worst part of this job is the hostile atmosphere engendered by our upper management. Their obvious disdain and distrust of their own sales force has made this job much more difficult than it ever should be. I simply can't believe that a corporate culture needs to be this adversarial. That is why I have decided to work towards a new job with a new company.
Pros
a great product line, supported by a great sales force.
Cons
a lack of corporate direction and leadership.
Family oriented, productive and great workplace
Quality Documentation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Clifton, NJAugust 12, 2013
A day at work was filled with productivity, and new learning experiences. At Glaxo you were always challenged to learn.

I learned "Leadership" I was allowed to lead in projects assigned and bring them to closure with very little supervision.

Management was professional practicing open door policy, allowing us to approach when needed with questions that arose during certain projects, always willing to explain and retrain to avoid errors, and safety concerns. This went along with their belief of "Right First Time"

Co-workers turned into friends quickly some of the best people I have ever met.

Hardest part of the job? I enjoyed my job and I found nothing hard, and if I did come across something that was a bit difficult I considered it a challenge and a learning opportunity.

The most enjoyable part: The ability to learn something new every day as the Change Control coordinator; my job was to oversee all changes made at the site. This allowed for me to learn a new aspect of the daily operations in each department; also it gave me the opportunity to work with new people on a daily basis. It was a rewarding position.
Pros
flex time, comp time, volunteer time, free safety equipment i.e. safety shoes, safety glasses
Cons
tuition reimbursement, on the job training reimbursement
review
Audio Visual Lead Tech (Current Employee) –  RTP,NCAugust 31, 2015
I spend much of my day doing remote support for numerous clients. Over the years, I've managed to make this process fairly painless and easy. Most remote support engineers assume the biggest roadblock to success is the end user. That is not always the case. It is our job to not only fix remote issues, but to make the task simple for all parties involved.

Of course, I understand that everyone's approach to remote support is different: Different tools, different cross-sections of users, different problems. In the end, however, there is only one acceptable result — success. Here are 10 ways to simplify your remote support efforts and satisfy clients.

1: Be consistent
7: Document calls
8: Have a reliable connection
9: Purchase the software you need
10: Be polite... but be efficient

Work directly with the Audio-Visual Manager. I am responsible for setup, running, and take down of audio/visual (A/V)
equipment used throughout the building. Provide technical assistance and support throughout the building, also provide technical assistance and support during events as requested or as needed. Familiar with the building, its equipment, policies, programs, and services and the day-to-day schedule of events.
Excellent company
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCNovember 12, 2015
GSK is an excellent company offering a great variety of earning opportunities in all positions according to an individual's desire to advance intellectual capital or earnings or both.
Typical days begin a bit earlier for some who work alternate schedules than those who will follow a traditional time frame, but all days will require an employee to give their best efforts toward project completion. This may require more effort if an employee comes into the company without previous corporate or internship experience because expectations are usually higher, especially if working at an executive level. The management teams in the US affiliate are extremely well prepared to accomplish, and lead their groups to achieve, the goals for their areas successfully. This preparation in turn encourages a group's co-workers to strive towards success at individual levels, thereby raising the bar for everyone.
The hardest part and the most enjoyable part of any organization is dealing with people, both internally and externally. It is always the most rewarding as well when relationships are built, whether at the executive levels, with senior management teams, co-workers, customers, vendors and prospective interested parties.
Pros
Opportunities
GSK | Northboro, MA
Executive Admin | Northborough Biologics Site (Former Employee) –  Northborough, MAApril 30, 2012
I was asked to return to work at the Northboro MA facilities for GSK because I knew the facilities and had worked for a large company. I had been a prior employee when it was a start-up as a contractor.

Two members of the senior management team encouraged me to leave my full-time position and be part of the GSK team formerly IDB.

I was there for 1 month when I became aware that GSK would not be keeping the facilities open and that it would be closing.

The GSK Global HR team made the facilities go through the farce of finishing the merger. Benefits and titles were distributed...angst about incorrect payscale due to the site HR manager data entry of their qualifications.

The HR manager's concentration of mistakes were with women scientists with PhDs who were not given fair wages compared to their male colleagues.

Also, this GSK Northboro HR manager did not complete tasks on time and was not made accountable for their work. We had a spectacular HR manager when the facility was BioChem/Shire.

My overall experience was not good with GSK for the six months that I worked within the company. I had a great experience with P&G Needham, MA. P&G had a solid infrastructure and did a great job of closing the Needham facility.
benefits
Cons
hr team
Very friendly and family oriented company
Senior Executive Therapeutic Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTNovember 5, 2013
The company was very typical of other pharmaceutical companies. You went out and sold to customers on a daily basis. Usual meetings took place quarterly and semester. Benefits were great. Managers that I had were very good, however there were other managers in the company that may have lacked in areas therefore resulting in inconsistencies from region to region and across the country. The downer about the company is the implementation of the patient first model, which incorporated extensive testing on a regular basis. This was not and still has not been received and embraced by the sales force throughout the organization. The purpose was to move the performance and incentive compensation model from a sales quota driven environment to a testing and knowledge driven environment. This could be correlated to the corporate integrity agreement that had to be signed with the Federal Government for previous violations. Overall those that I worked with and were in contact on a regular basis were all fantastic people to work with and work for.
Pros
great benefits, entrepeneurial environment
Cons
industry is becoming too regulated, pharma companies have their hands tied
Strong competitive Company with high quality products.
Senior Analytical Chemist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 5, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of finished product and raw material testing. The work was consistent with a very high output.
Data was entered into a LIMS system at the time of testing.
There was ongoing training and learning when new products were introduced.
I was involved with supervising the quality laboratory for an interim period of about eight months prior to hiring a new supervisor.
My duties included organizing work load for the analyst as well as knowing the status of incoming and outgoing products and testing. I also reported the lab status to my manager on a daily basis.
I was in charge of training all incoming laboratory personnel as well as the new supervisor.
Co-workers were very hard working professionals.
The most difficult part of the job was having enough time to complete the daily work with the work to analyst ratio.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the four day work week and the feeling when the work was completed on time or ahead of time.
Pros
four day work week, great employee incentives and benefits. professional work environment.
Cons
training temporary employees that were unable to keep employment for an indefinite period of time.
Definitely a Unique Experience
Chemist (Former Employee) –  SCNovember 8, 2014
A typical day at work is a very busy one. You were expected to work 45-65 hours a week as a salaried employee. At this site, you are expected to fulfill so many job functions that you are not able to focus on one aspect or interest to become a SME, in fact you are expected to be a SME on every aspect of the job in addition to others jobs. Extremely challenging.

I learned that you do not have to have a degree to obtain a job and move up in the workplace.
Management..... a work in progress definitely.

The hardest part of the job was lack of effective communication throughout the site and the fact that the cafeteria only provided vending machines and sodas. I had to drive 10-15 minutes to get lunch everyday and go back to work. I was hired as a Chemist and the job description did not match the job expectation.

Co-workers at the site were ...... A lot of employees left the site while I was employed there. I did met some nice individuals.

I most enjoyed being a coach, leader, enthusiast for my immediate team. I enjoyed training others and working with Technical Engineers for method improvement. I enjoyed bringing the positivity into the workplace and inspiring others to accomplish goals and challenge themselves.
Pros
benefits, pay
Cons
culture
Rewarding to help patients have better outcomes
Therapeutic Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  FieldJune 13, 2013
GSK has been a great opportunity to learn about the pharmaceutical industry and be the changing face of pharma. Through all my years with the company our goal has always been to help providers help appropriate patients have better outcomes. I have learned exceptional skills that I can apply in furure development opportunities. The skills are numerous: relationship building, networking, data analysis and resource allocation, scientific knowledge and business acumen and the changing face of healthcare and the importance of all members of an account and levels within the account (provider, staff, office manager, C-suite, account managers). The hardest part of the the job is that it is always changing, but that also makes it enjoyable as well. Every day is different and I learn more about my customers and identify unmet needs and appropriate resources. My co-workers are phenomenal and are hard working and reliable. Management tries to listen to field and receive feedback, but implementation takes some time before results are seen.
Pros
flexible and ongoing education
Cons
vast changes within the organization for restructuring performance plan
Social Responsibility, Incredible Science and Great Place to Work
Senior Scientist (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MAMarch 27, 2013
I loved working here and would go back in a heartbeat. Excellent science, high-value placed on innovation, creativity and pushing boundaries, failure is an option, fluidic structure and approaches, recognition of achievements, just all around a great place to work.

GSK spends a lot of time and money developing their corporate culture as well and loves it when people get involved. There is a huge value placed on social responsibility in the company and it shows. One example is Orange Day. It's like a vacation day to do volunteer work in your community. Every employee gets one and is highly encouraged to use them. If you organize a group, you can get a budget. When I worked there, I organized a group to help a special needs camp prepare for their season. With 20 or so people I got a multi-thousand dollar budget to pay for supplies and make improvements to the camp. I left the company two years ago and I still organize this Orange Day, and still get a budget....crazy...
Pros
excellent science, strong sense of transparency, social responsibility and development of staff
Cons
slightly lacking in skilled scientific managers
Cronyism at it's best
Senior Biopharmaceutical Manufacturing Associate (Current Employee) –  Manufacturing West ConhohockenMay 6, 2015
I worked here for 13 years in this position. Didn't quit because I foolishly allow myself to keep getting strung along as though they will promote me this time and also I need the money. I have trained people promoted over me in simple things like sample submission and work order creation which they should have known how to do for years but because they were someone's favorite got promoted anyway. Some people get to work in the same area for years and get promoted for it while others get pulled all over the place and don't get promoted for it and in fact when they make mistakes in areas in which they are unfamiliar it is held against them while the same favorites get to stay comfortable making salt water for ten to fifteen years. If you try to get promoted and they don't like you because your not in the "in" crowd they will just make up some some lame excuse to not promote you, excuses that people who do get promoted never had to do. If you hate justice, fairness, and sleep by all means work here.
Pros
good amount of vacation
Cons
unfair promotional practices, understaffed on busy days, lack of proper sleep by third work day
A well paying job but little life outside of work.
Packaging Technician (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 6, 2015
My time at GlaxoSmithKline has been a very successful one. I learned a great deal and met many people whom I will never forget. A typical day there consists of running the machines on the packaging floor. Paperwork and cleanliness are among the top qualities that the management team expect out of their employees. During my time here I learned a great deal of machinery. I learned about the process of making Tums and the basic dealings of a factory like scenario. I would say the hardest part of the job is the overtime. In the beginning we worked four ten hour shifts then we were off three days. These ten hour shifts turned into twelve hour shifts. When the twelve hour shifts were through they started forcing overtime. It led to most of the packaging team being forced at least sixty hours a week which leads little to a life outside of work. Despite this, I did really enjoy my time at GlaxoSmithKline. The people I have met are amazing and some of the most enjoyable, friendly souls I have ever had the honor of meeting.
Pros
great benefits, a full cafeteria, three breaks
Cons
up to sixty hours of forced overtime
Achievable but challenging goals; Territory ownership
Respiratory Care Educator (Former Employee) –  Respiratory Care EducatorAugust 18, 2015
As an educator, I had account managers who developed a need for respiratory programs. I also had the opportunity to develop my own accounts if there were not account manager leads. I went into the account and further developed the need for respiratory eduacation but also helped the organization to create their own goals to implement the education successfully within their organization.

As a specialty sales representative, I called on identified providers. I collaborated with these providers to identify and create the need for my product and and its use for patient populations.

As a nurse I have found that my background has been extremely valuable. I typically have an instant bond of trust and respect that others outside the healthcare field do not have immediately. I also have the ability to understand the staff, their challenges and expertise.
Pros
Car provided, Excellent health insurance, Multiple resources available to support the organizations, Team collaboration
Cons
Worked at least 3-4 hours after work everyday and at least 1/2-1 full day on the weekends.
Very priveledged at a young age to work at such an elaborate place with wonderful opportunities and great people. Traveling at the time was enjoyable.
Product Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCNovember 1, 2015
Top RTP company to work for at the time with security. I left at the time of the merger with Glaxo feeling the need to change careers only. I had a very creative side that without furthering my education, I could not pursue anything outside of my department. I was concerned at the time I would be placed in a secretarial position at a young age and, at that time in life, wanted more. Left to re-attend college.
Burroughs Wellcome/ Glaxo Smith Kline taught me so much! It allowed me to grow and train and move up from accounting and auditing and training reps into the world of marketing where I would report to the director of marketing. My small piece of the puzzle was data analysis and soon became programming and scheduling with little people contact other than MIS contact. The merger was unsure for many. My decision was to further my education.
Pros
Awesome corporate experience. Everyone should experience the corporate world.
Cons
The traffic.
Great company to work for; plenty training opportunities for various area in drug development; good employee benefit;
(1) Scientific Investigator in Product Development (Former Employee) –  Collegeville, PA 19426August 27, 2014
My working day was about half the time attending Program team meetings and half the time working in the lab. My major tasks are solving problems based on scientific data to support the needs of Program teams in a timely manners. The most important learning for me in GSK is to understand how my experimental results can help the other discovery groups in verifying the efficacy, safety and developability of potential drug candidates in a timely manner. My managers are very supportive and generous in giving encouragement. My co-workers are excellent team players.

The hardest part of my job was trying to dissolve the poorly-soluble compounds at high doses. The most enjoyable part of my job was to solve the drug development problems and allow the potential drug candidate being moved further for Regulatory filing.
Pros
flexible working hours
Cons
the company tends to lay off employees frequently based on business needs.
summary
Executive Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  CHicagoFebruary 27, 2015
Fantastic benefits, good pay, great environment, positive uplifting experience. Great positive energy.Q: What is a typical day for a pharmaceutical sales representative?

A: One of the nice things about being a rep is that each day is different.

Here's what a typical Friday is like for me:

I start about 7:45 AM and get home about 6:00 PM. Fridays are always the busiest and most productive in my territory because on Fridays there is a weekly medical meeting, called a "Grand Rounds" at a large institution in my area.

Daily Planner

7:45 Attend a grand rounds at the hospital early in the morning to meet my customers for a coffee and bagel and catch up on the latest in medical education. Removed from their busy hectic private offices, the doctors are in their own environment in and they are mostly friendly and cordial.

Some of the doctors ask me to stop by their offices because they need drug samples or clinical information on my products. I might work the room, making pseudo-appointments for later in the day
benefits
Cons
layoffs frequent
Positive Environment
Regional Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCDecember 9, 2014
My current role in GSK as an ROA has been amazing. Worked with an Executive Director, whose leadership was caring, passionate, highly motivated to promote his team, trusting and lives the same values as myself, trustworthy and loyal to everyone he supported.
My Respiratory Care Educators (72 field based people) were the most passionate and caring people I've ever met in my life. Their values were based on educating doctors to best assist the patients all over the country with disease management of their respiratory diseases, COPD and Asthma. It was a pleasure to support this team in any way. I was able to plan and attend National Meetings every year, along with smaller leadership meetings. I was made to feel an integral part of the team in every way.
The hardest part of the job was sometimes the processes for getting things done that required too many steps in what should have been a simple process.
Pros
best group i ever worked with.
Cons
can't think of any.

4.2