GlaxoSmithKline Employee Reviews

Top tier global pharmaceutical company
Sr. Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PA and Minneapolis, MNAugust 16, 2016
GSK is an amazing company with many great products. I believe in their mission to make lives better. They are a truly global company with a presence in over 100 countries.
Pros
Excellent people (some of the smartest I have ever known), excellent compensation, excellent products
Cons
Difficult culture. Mergers and acquisitions have eliminated many roles, and redesigned responsibilities.
Great Place
Warehouse Operator (Current Employee) –  Zebulon, NCJuly 30, 2016
Excellent work Life Balance. Was able to learn a lot from great people who were eagerly willing to provide expertise and guidance

Excellent company to work for very positive work environment . GSK is type of company that encourages growth and rewards employees for excellence with generous bonus compensation. Great benefits. I would love to team up with this company again.

A very enjoyable place to work. The people are very friendly and easy to get along with. The most fun part of the job is the learning part there is always something new to learn. Management allows you to work at you own pace. The hardest part of this job is that this position is ending.
Pros
Everybody Friendely
Cons
Well im a Temp trying to make it in
Not the company it used to be...
GLOBAL COMPENSATION PROJECTS MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 30, 2016
Over the last 5 years the global focus has moved east with less and less focus on North America. This has resulted in a culture where the US has been milked for revenue without substantial investment in jobs and management.

It used to be a fun and friendly environment to work in. Now the culture is vastly different.
Cons
No senior leadership based in the US.
Excellent company, very professional and employee centric
Manager (Former Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCJuly 7, 2016
Working for GSK was a great experience. They gave me every opportunity and looked after my development. I received all kinds of training both on site and offsite. They supported my professional society and allowed me to attend the annual conferences. While we had strong patent protection we had all kinds of perks, bonuses and team building. When the corporate mergers started some of these diminished but they still did the best they could. Eventually economics prevailed and we had to part company, but I still treasure the time I had there.
Pros
Everything a job should be
Cons
Nothing lasts forever and the pharmaceutical business patents can gave an impact on employment
Good company with increasing payor market challenges
Integrated Health Systems Account Manager (Former Employee) –  West MichiganJuly 8, 2016
My direct line management and co-workers were hardworking, dedicated sales professionals doing their best to help their customers help their patients live better, longer and healthier lives.
Pros
Hardworking dedicated co-workers
Cons
Challenges in Payor Markets in a value based purchasing environment
Very positive work enviornment
Specialty Care Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 15, 2016
Pros
Encourages growth, promote from within, great benefits
Cons
Large territories
Busy, but always met deadlines
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia Navy YardAugust 10, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my job was my co-workers. We were more like family.

My days were busy with making travel arrangements, entering time records, reviewing emails, etc.

I did learn Excel and Powerpoint, but never got a chance to use it that much in my position.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Our move from Center City to the Navy Yard
Contract worker
Information Sciences Associate (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaAugust 1, 2016
I worked as a contractor within GSK. The contractor was WilliamsLea. Very stressful environment because of workload and not enough employees to produce the outcomes that they expected. No room for growth and no opportunities to promote.
Pros
discounted GSK products
Cons
benefits expensive; no opportunity to promote; no teamwork
I have been with GSK for over ten years and I have always enjoyed working for this company.
Regulatory Information Associate (Current Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCJune 25, 2016
Pharmaceutical company that transfered to a toothpaste company
Chemical Process Operator/Production Manager (Former Employee) –  East Durham, NYJuly 25, 2016
Worked in the pharmaceutical operations prior to the transfer of the toothpaste operation into the plant. After the transfer of the pharmaceutical products from the Oak Hill plant and toothpaste start-up, my position with the company was dis-continued.
Big Family place to work
Process Automation Technician (Former Employee) –  Cidra, PRJuly 14, 2016
Grate opportunity to learn about pharmaceutical industry. They give to me the opportunity to be parts of new project. And all my opinion about improvement they considerate. In my personal experience I work in all the areas and learn about : Utility ,Manufacturing, Packaging ,R&D, water treatment plant....
Pros
A lot of good benefist
Beware of the dog eat dog world at GSK
Flu ConOps Analyst (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 12, 2016
By far one of the worst companies I have worked for. Management is very unorganized and none of the employees know how to do their work correctly. This company is only worried about their sales and profits. The temporary employees are treated poorly.
Pros
Nice building
Cons
Unstable working environment with terrible managers
High Pay, Excellent Work Life Balance Lord of the Flies Atomosphere
Manager (Former Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCMay 15, 2016
This is a great company to work for especially if you work in an area that is highly valued by the company. However, shifts in business needs can land your department into reorganization and layoff agony.
This creates a very stressful culture among colleagues that does not reward teamwork or positive relationships. Instead co-workers are pitted against each other all scrabbling to hang onto their positions.
Pros
High salaries, excellent benefits
Cons
Open offices, "Survivor" atmosphere, lack of trust, lack of teamwork
A Great Place to Work
Human Resources Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 18, 2016
GSK was one the best work environments I've ever been in. Up to date, diverse work environment that also allowed for remote access from home. Management was very helpful and informative in a vast variety of areas allowing for smooth project work flow. Typical day at work consisted of sorting thru about 40 emails which was how work was distributed and building projects cases in Remedy first then trouble shooting what the cases needed. Those where then turned into an excel file and V-lookup formulas where created to pull information from various locations. The data was then farmed on a sharepoint site so that it could be viewed by management from various locations.
Pros
Easy going work enviroment, diverse workforce.
Cons
That my contract ended and I was not there longer.
Very productive and career orianted workplace
Manufacturing cleaner (Former Employee) –  Oak Hill, NYSeptember 23, 2016
Great place to work for. Great co-workers. Very caring and helpful supervisors. Very safe place to work. All osha safety guidelines and company guidelines followed and respected to ensure a safe and productive work environment.
Great company that care about there employees
Human Resources Administrator (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Zebulon, NCApril 11, 2016
I had the opportunity to gain experience with Human Resources activities during my stint at GSK. I reported directly to Human Resources Director. My co-worker were great, they all worked together and taught me a lot about team work. I also scheduled interviews and perform phone screens for potential employees. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with great co-workers.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Contractor
Professional and high energy workplace
Senior Chemist (Former Employee) –  Collegeville, PAApril 10, 2016
Most days worked on bespoke project related analyses using LCMS. When needing to resolve ambiguous LCMS results, group discussions or alternative testing would be explored. Co-workers were expert in their area of science and helpful in suggesting follow up experiments. Regularly, consulted group manager when decisions on asset allocation had to be prioritized. I most enjoyed stretched goals that offered exposure to techniques I wanted to know more about or perform.
was really fun and I learned alot about food preparation, food handling methods and maintained correct temperature. My supervisor was excellent per
Dishwasher/Porter (Former Employee) –  Parsippany, NJ 07054April 1, 2016
Sodexo was really a great company to work for, unfortunately I had to relocate. I spoke with the manager before I left and she guaranteed me that anytime I decided to come back she would recommend me
Pros
health insurance for fulltime employee
Cons
hours were short so you barely made enough to pay bills
GSK Offers Outstanding Career Opportunity
Director, National and Federal Accounts (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXApril 29, 2016
I have worked at GlaxoSmithKline for 34 years. They have provided me with profound opportunity to grow professionally, to serve my Customers/Accounts/Community, and to ethically earn performance based reward. Great benefits, salary, incentive. Outstanding products. Promising R&D.
Great culture
Marketing Director (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 1, 2016
Overall, GSK is a wonderful place to work with fairly decent work/life balance, excellent benefits and a CEO who genuinely cares about his employees and making ethically sound decisions. In the wake of recent events, however, the company has announced that several senior leaders will be retiring - including our venerable CEO. This creates an uncertain environment as the rationale behind these early retirements is questioned. GSK works hard to adhere to company values, and at present, senior leaders do a nice job of pulling these though in key decisions.

As with any company - the caliber of management (mid-level and senior) can be hit or miss - but there at least seems to be some effort to hire and promote those who exhibit behaviors consistent with corporate values and expectations. Important to note: since the 2014 consolidations, the number of available growth opportunities at GSK has gone down. The hope is that the company will rebound soon!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GlaxoSmithKline. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2