Glenkirk Employee Reviews

Low paying high demanding
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 7, 2015
Glenkirk hasn't given raises in over 7 years . Glenkirk continue to find money for upgrading homes; It's DSP's are underpaid
Pros
Good work hours
Cons
Bad relationship between administration and workers
gossip mill with poor management and benefits
daily service provider (Former Employee) –  northbrook, ILMarch 13, 2015
I was able to gain experience and working with the clients was rewarding. Thats about the only positive aspects.

Cons of working there, it was the WORST management I have ever seen. Program directors were pretty much allowed to treat their staff like dogs without any real penalties. The gossip is rampant. People who do their job the way they are supposed to are s***** on. The ones who sleep, don't clean, mistreat rhe clients, and gossip are treated like gold. The pay is a joke for the amount of work that you do because if youre a hard worker you will be doing your job and everyone elses with no proper compensation. Then they go partner with Search who has a horrible name for focusing on the looks of the residential homes instead of really caring for the clients. It's the saddest thing to see the clients you come attached to suffer at this deplorable company. The medical benefits are a pure rip off.
Challenging workplace
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILMarch 5, 2015
A place where maladaptive behaviors are put under control makes work day challenging and unpredictable. Great for people who love to care and support the physical and mental challenged. The work has build a lot of tolerance in me. Company has helped me with CPR training and intervention crisis.
Pros
Trainings
Cons
Health care
Glenkirk was a job that I learned all my health care skills
Direct Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILOctober 20, 2014
I would go in at eight am and work one on one with an individual diagnosed with many disorders. I learned to have patients and great communication skills . Management seem to have a great impact on the employees by demonstrating first hand the skills we should use through out each day. Co workers were great at lending helping hands when needed. The hardest part of this job was the long travel in the winter. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know individuals with disorders are just as fun as individuals without them.
Pros
LONG LUNCH
Cons
EXPENSIVE HELATH CARE
Rewarding Career
Job Coach (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILNovember 4, 2013
Worked with mentally challenged individuals to help them prepare for the work environment, and also performed maintenance on houses.
Productive and fun workplace with little challenges.
Direct support person (Former Employee) –  Arlinghton Heights,Chicago ILJune 22, 2013
Each day gives me a reason to continue to do what i know how to do best { Caring for people with developmental disabilities},i always look forward to resuming my duty the following day,though there are great challenges in performing each daily duties,especially the non-verbal consumers,but since caring is my hobby,it gives me great joy and i always fell accomplished each day at the close of work.
Safe and productive environment.
Residential Aide (Former Employee) –  princeton, NDMay 3, 2013
A typical day at work is admitting and discharging patients, monitoring vital signs, and observing patients behavior, etc. My co- workers were very nice and helpful. I've learned that by having daily conversations with my patients, help them to be more open and comfortable with me. The hardest part of the job is when then patients become physically violent. The most enjoyable part of the job is bieng able to gain my patient 's trust.

Productive learning and assisting individuals with DD
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Current Employee) –  Northbrook IlJanuary 21, 2013
I have 15 years experience in this particular field.I ahve learned that patience and care go a long way.I have work in a Cila environment (home based) and also in a workshop enivironment both ver rewarding.The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that Im available to be of some assistance and help others.
Work with individuals living with developmental disabilities
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 30, 2012
Work with individuals living with developmental disabilities.Help to increase my tolerence. work with management for the protection and well-being of the consumers for whom I work. in good raport with my co-workers, high volume team player. The hardest part in this field of work is to be confronted with different behaviors, but however, I learn to cope with those challenges. The most enjoyable part is taking them into the community and helping them reach out to other individuals with the same challenge.
Pros
interacting directly with clients
Cons
low pay rate
Produstive workplace
Direct Support Provider (Former Employee) –  Northbrook, ILApril 30, 2012
Company great place to work if your heart is in it. management was always there to assist, i learned to adapt to change and to assist people with disabilities.
Pros
management
Cons
commute

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Glenkirk. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8