Glens Falls Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

Not the best at organizational management
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Glens Falls, NYMarch 16, 2016
Was given scholarship money to assist with educational pursuits, led to believe that there would be job opportunities in my chosen field, but then no job materialized, and my old job was already filed.

Very shortsighted organization, not well organized, lower pay than any of the other healthcare facilities in the area.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Recent reduction in emplyee benefits
Use to be an enjoyable place to work until change of leadership
housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Glens Falls, NYOctober 31, 2015
The majority of employees in our department took pride in their work. The working relations between departments was very friendly. For the past few years since the current administration took over the turn over rate was at a record high. The administration shows no respect whatsoever for their employees. This adds to the constant employee turn over rate. Some housekeepers were assigned two and sometimes three different areas to clean during their shift rather than one area. This extra burden along with the low pay rate and lack of appreciation has taken it's tole resulting on many more to leave. There use to be job stability at GFH. Now every employee there is nothing more than a number and if you question the administration your number is up and you're out of a job. Just a few months ago all of the housekeeping supervisor jobs were outsourced. Six supervisors with a combined 140 years of service lost their jobs at GFH with no apology of any sort.
Pros
Generous time off and hospital discounts for full time employees.
Cons
Low pay rate, overworked, not appreciated by upper management.
Toxic culture clueless senior leadership
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Glens Falls, NYJune 17, 2016
The environment at GFH has been the same for many years,patient care is not a priority money is! Departments are chronically overworked and understaffed, the term "Mass Exodus" seems to fit the current state for many employees. Housekeeping,Bio med, are only the beginning of departments being outsourced, this seems to be Senior Managements answer to their financial problems.Leadership throughout the organization is lackluster,and devoid of any connection to the staff,you can literally walk past anyone of them without so much as a smile let alone a kind word. Loyalty is a foreign concept to most of Senior Leadership,speak out or disagree with the constant changing atmosphere and your gone! Staff is hardworking and dedicated to providing great patient care; however the good employees get burnt out and the bad employees get rewarded for tattle tailing on others.This culture promotes conflict between employees not team work. Too many people are deceptive,including HR. back stabbing is done daily,integrity is an unknown commodity. It is sad that this Hospital has alienated so many good people in our community.......go to Saratoga I will !!!!
Pros
good co workers
Cons
leadership
The Glens Falls Hospital continues to be a every changing and challenging employement location
Health Information Specialist (Former Employee) –  Glens Falls, NYDecember 2, 2015
I had the opportunity to be employed by the Glens Falls Hospital 2 different times during my career. Once as the Accounts Payable Supervisor and then as a Certified Medical Professional Coder.Both employment experiences were memorable.
Pros
excellent benefit package
Cons
repetitive motion
Sleep Therapist/RPSGT
RPSGT (Former Employee) –  Glens Falls, NYJune 13, 2016
Difficult day position as many varied responsibilities and the work load increased by 20 percent or more over the last year with no added help.
Medical Director is not active with staff members.
Pros
Patients were a positive and their thanks for being involved in their care.
Cons
No paid CEC. Management problems. Department not recognized.
this job was a very emotional job
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Glens Falls, NYMarch 23, 2016
this job was very hard at times because people were in some hard times. you do your best to make there day as happy as possible but its extremely hard at times.
Good care, too much internal politics
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Glens Falls, NYMay 21, 2016
GFH is so reliant on internal politics. If you were not bon there, you probably won;t last. Howevrer, the care was excellent and the director level people did get along very well.
General Manager, Au Bon Pain (Current Employee) –  Au Bon PainMay 30, 2016
Worked for Au Bon Pain in the Hospital, General Manager, great bakery and sandwiches. Open 24/7 Nice atmosphere to work in
understaffed
Patient Care Tech II (Current Employee) –  Glens Falls, NYMay 4, 2016
understaffed would have to be my only complaint about working for glens falls hospital, but other than its an overall good place to work for
Productive and Supportive
Family Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Glens Falls, NYNovember 25, 2015
Family Support Services are great. There is a small team of dedicated advocates, respite workers some of whom are parents of children with specialized needs. They are patient, caring and will always do their best in help parents and children to get the services and skills they need.
The beginning of new life
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glens Falls, NYSeptember 29, 2015
Work at the hospital was very hard and sometimes very stressful. many things going on all at once.
A typical day was very fast paced . A work day could also be very exciting. As the rule we worked as a team making the work load lighter.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing new life come into the world and parents smiling faces.
Pros
a generous discount on any hospital care that remained after ins. pay
Cons
when busy others would sometimes forget we too were busy.
Employer is Fading Fast
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Glens Falls, NYMay 9, 2016
Help cannot be retained in any department and no one cares. Lets say I feel bad for patients and leave it at that. Everyone is extremely overworked due to a constant shortage of people.

Management doesn't acknowledge employees. It takes six months to a year to hire one person say nothing about train them. They do away with more benefits years after year.

They took away Reserve Time (and never reimbursed the majority of us), RT time was used for hospital bills and prescriptions,...etc We also used to get a fifty percent discount. Now we are being told we are 75 hour a pay period employees which isn't anything I ever agreed to. I agreed to being paid full times hours which were defined as 80 hours a pay period when I started. If you miss a day or have vacation you get paid for 7.5 hours if your lucky. I'm trying to figure out how I take a break on a day I'm not there? These are just some of the additional ways they are slowly destroying employee benefits.

Policies are only enforced on a person to person basis. I had Some real "concerns" regarding the Job I did which I expressed to more than one manager. Of course, I received no response to anything (As Always) I can't elaborate on that but be advised this job and others there involves work in MANY "Gray Areas" that never seem to get any clearer. You definitely work in "fear" of losing your job.

Management should inquire as to why EVERY SINGLE DEPARTMENT has a mass exodus. I think they even quit doing Exit Interviews. The last five people I know that have left in various departments haven't even had their resignation
  more... acknowledged. No one asked any of them why they left nor do they even care. The real issue is consistent through the yearly surveys. Every Single year It is management.

Then they hired a management company for a couple departments and they are worse than the original managers as they just rehire the same people that work for the new company. It is really a disaster management wise and the turnover rate is unbelievable. It is really too bad they have so much potential and some really good people who are being overwhelmed. Management need to start hiring based on qualifications not by who is related or knows who.

This problem has Plagued GFH for years and will probably never change. Favoritism is rampant. Either your in the "click" or your not. Qualifications are rarely considered if at all.

I am not going to elaborate any further.
Pros
I miss the people I worked with directly
Cons
See Description
Fast paced health care environment
HR EDUCATION & ADMIN COORD (Former Employee) –  GLENS FALLS, NYSeptember 24, 2015
Fast-paced heath care environment where duties could change at any moment. Learned something new each day there. Many opportunities to learn about leadership development as it was part of my position to prepare for leadership development programs. Also used various computer programs daily.
too many cut backs-less concern for employees
Health Information Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Glens Falls, NYJanuary 4, 2015
Retrieved charts from the OR; assemebled; create and stuff chart folders; analyze charts to be sure all necessary paperwork is in the chart and all Doctor orders have been signed and dated; if anything reports or orders are not complete need to contact OR or Doctor's to be sure reports or orders are completed in a timely manner so billing can go out. Hardest part of job was being able to complete job from beginning to end everyday due to when I first started working here there were about 16 clerical positions filled nd now there are three due to cut backs no one was ever replaed. The most enjoyable prt of the job was the people I worked with. For the most part just about everyone would step in and lend a hand if possible.
Pros
discounts in certain businesses
Cons
management is geared more toward making money than keeping their employees motivated and happy
People are passionate about working with patients
Radiologic Technician Internship (Former Employee) –  Glens Falls, NYMay 13, 2015
When I first arrived for my internship I would always start my day by talking to the lead technician to see what the daily schedule looked like. At my internship I gained a lot of knowledge about working with patients, how to properly take patient history, how to manage time and how to deal with a fast paced environment, and what to do in different situations. Being an intern I was able to see what weekly staff meetings were like. The co-workers were amazing. Everyone of them were passionate about what they were doing and were able to teach me so much. The hardest part of my internship was that I excepted to have more time with the equipment. The most enjoyable part of my internship was being able to assist patents and provide them with the best care possible.
Patient satisfaction oriented workplace.
Medical Secretary (Former Employee) –  Glens Falls, NYDecember 8, 2014
Prepare charts for the Cancer Center. Call other facilities to obtain medical records to incorporate into the medical paper chart. Enter laboratory tests into computer. I learned about what needs to be reviewed by the doctors in the Cancer Center in order to treat the patients in the best possible manner. Co-workers work as a team in order to get all the charts processed for the next day. Management gave opportunities to listen to employees and gather information on how work can run efficiently. The hardest part of the job is learning a patient did not survive their illness. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing we are doing the best we possibly can to help others who are ill.
Pros
helping others. team work.
Cons
losing our patients to cancer.
great place to work
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Glens Falls, NYMarch 31, 2015
hours of work are 8am to 4pm Leadership. I am part of management team we work as one. co worker are gre3at team members. The hardest part of my job is not enough time to complete all the tasks at hand. The best part is the people.!
Pros
The people i work with and around
Cons
no breaks
A great company
ANESTHESIA AIDE (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 22, 2015
A great company . My hours at work are very stressful. One week i'm 5am-1pm then 10am to 6pm the next . Looking for something with stable hours .
Pros
pay
Cons
hours
food court swipe card vendor stores
phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  glens falls nyJuly 13, 2015
draw blood in house and out patient stocking the lab rooms ability to draw under any circumstances. children, infints, elder, er, oncology, and phych ward. the hardest part is staying up to date on every change in medician but when you love your job you do it.
Pros
love my job making a patient smile
Cons
was non
Great staff, can choose to work 36 or 40 hours
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Glens Falls, NYAugust 1, 2012
The staff members work very well together especially in emergency situations. The staff get together for out of the hospital activities such as skiing and kayaking. The most difficult part of the job for me is the lack of continueing education and inservices to keep updated on the latest technology and or regular involvement of the medical director for inservices. The typical day at work is dependent on the assigned areas such as the ICU or the ER. If assigned to a floor assignment then just the typical breathing treatments or bipap or cpap setups, abgs, where as the critical care areas would involve ventalator management, intubations, transports, and rounding with the physicians.
Pros
36 hour work weeks set sheduling
Cons
no increases in the four years that i've been employed .