Glenwood Autism and Behavioral Health Center

Glenwood Autism and Behavioral Health Center Employee Reviews in United States

Too many people worked there that were not qualified to hold the positions they held
Special Education Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 6, 2016
This job was not good. The pay was okay, but the benefits were not good. There was no professional guidance. You were left alone to
figure out things on your own. A lot of the supervisors were not knowledgeable about what they were supposed to be doing regarding their position.
Pros
Nice facilities, free lunch
Cons
High turn over rate
Internship
Mental Health Intern (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 27, 2015
I was honored to do my undergraduate internship with Glenwood, Inc. My learning experience was something I will carry with me always. I was given the opportunity to observe Children's Residential Services ( which includes the autism population and the severely emotionally disturbed population).
Too much favoritism
Child & Family Therapist/Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Birmingham ALDecember 4, 2014
Started as Child/Family Therapist; promoted to Program Director, then program was closed without warning. Day to day I worked with severely mentally ill children and adolescents in a residential home. Staff of 10 with 8 clients in 24-hour/day operation. Greatest part of job was seeing the young people grow and be able to return home. Learned a lot about interactions with really challenged children and teens. Enjoyed going to work and the flexibility to do my job in my house.
Pros
ability to change lives
Cons
in end it became about money and financial productivity.
Sabrina
Day Habilitation Instructor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, AlabamaJune 13, 2014
A beautiful work day teaching adults with autism about everyday living skills. Teaching individual how to cop with life living on their own with some to over see them daily. teaching adults the proper way to cook, clean, and maintain a home of their own, as well as how to manage their own money for which they recieve from being on their job.
Pros
helping others
Very few opportunities for advancement
N/A (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 21, 2014
Glenwood is a good starter job for anyone in the mental health profession looking to gain experience. I have been here for 4 years in 2 different positions. Currently, there is a huge issue with licensed professionals being unable to advance into licensed positions due to the lack of these positions. I have been licensed for 3 1/2 years and have yet to be able to obtain a licensed position. When a licensed position becomes available, it is not a guarantee it will be given to the highest qualified person. Recognition for good performance is rarely acknowledged. Benefits are there, but expensive. Health insurance is extremely expensive and does not cover everything. We get limited holidays.
Pros
free meals during shift
Cons
minimal recognition, expensive health insurance, no room for advancement
Not a good place to work!!!!
Residential Instructor (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 13, 2014
This job is not for anybody trying to advance "through the ranks" , if you start as a residential instructor 10times out of 10 will remain one.... the current hours are not reasonable for anyone who has a life outside of work, the management is unprofessional, rude, unorganized and do nothing to acknowledge the dedicated staff who come day after to provide service to the kids who live here. They calm to be working on giving everyone a "raise" in the agency however ive been here almost 5 yrs and they been talking that same mess since ive been here, but they can somehow find money to create different job titles for higher management positions, give them more money for the position and still say to direct care staff "we appreciate everything that you do" or "residential staff is the backbone of Glenwood".... when they treat us like the doormat.

do not apply here... anybody that has left has done 10x better somewhere else and its not because Glenwood is on their resume....
Pros
nothing
Cons
low pay, crazy work hours, unprofessional managment
Wonderful services
service provider (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALFebruary 18, 2014
A typical day involved serving challenging students. The hardest part is the travel.
Management does not appreciate employees; High turnover; New Residential Instructors, Teachers leave after a year or two.
Residential Instructor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 24, 2013
Some of the previous written reviews are obviously written by management trying to retain staff. Allow me to educate you on Glenwood:

- Use as a stepping stone; plan to leave as soon as you can
- Residential Instructors staff in SED are unhappy and ;leave as soon as they get hired. The new Residential staff in SED has just about left within three months of hire
- Residential Management ( Coordinator, Program Manger) do not know how to appreciate employees; they treat employees as children and will make sure they find a way to penalize an employee who voices concern; they believe in essence the kids run the house; further they do not like to step in and help out the staff rather dictate and intimidate the staff; they will not put a person in position unless they feel they can make that person do what they tell them without question
- The benefits are subpar; insurance too expensive not worth it
- No upper ward mobility, when you get a position expect to stay in that position
- Huge turnover

EVERYONE WHO LEAVES, DOES NOT WANT TO RETURN

If you get a job there, look for another one and leave as soon as possible.

Just being honest. Hopes this helps
Pros
free lunch, clients, kids
Cons
management, job culture, lack of appreciation
Great Place to make a differnce in lives
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 5, 2013
A typical day at work is always extremely busy. Upon arrival your day is started with meeting needs from individuals who may simply need a hug or medical care. But your contribution always leaves a warm and fulfilling feeling in your heart. I've learned more at this job than I've learned in my entire life it seems. Most importantly I've learned that all though I am not able to meet every demand every simple task accomplished make a huge difference in someone's life an that in itself is an enormous accomplishment. My co-workers are miracle works who are angels on earth. The hardest part of my job is seeing a need that I cannot meet immediately. There are only 24 hours in a day and needs here do not cease to exist after an 8-10 hours shift. Management here have an impossible task of supporting staff in performance of their jobs as well as supporting individuals in meeting their needs while determining how to make the agency operate within the guidelines of several entities. A near impossible task but one that garners my utmost respect. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the positive impact that I as well as all staff of the agency have on the lives of individuals who are disadvantaged due to Autism and other deficits of mental and physical capacities.
Pros
fabulous benefits-free meals
Cons
work schedule inconsistencies-frequent after hours calls and shift coverage needs.
Crazy Place to work
Residential Instructor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 10, 2013
Loved working with the families and it was great to see how appreciative people were about their needs being met.
Energized work eivironment
Residential Instructor (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 4, 2013
Rewarding work helping others achieve goals in a family oriented environment.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
overnight shift
enjoyable, and supportive
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJuly 9, 2013
working with the children was different everyday, all co-workers were very supportive, enjoyed working with the children
Pros
good enviroment
Cons
very limited holidays
Residential Setting
Residential Instructor (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 8, 2013
Team of coworkers and immediate supervisor are great. The overall mission of this company makes it worthwhile to put up with some of the mistreatment you receive from upper management.
Pros
free meal, joy of helping individuals
Cons
no breaks, low pay
Productive work place
Residential Instructor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 25, 2012
Over all great job. I enjoyed working there with special need kids.