Greater Toledo area opportunity whose primary charter is to coordinate and direct the day-to-day operational activities of the Coding Department. Responsible for supervising large staff of on-site and remote coders for established and rapidly expanding company with a great service and attractive salary and benefits package.
DUTIES OF MEDICAL CODING SUPERVISOR INCLUDE:
- Organize and monitor daily workloads to minimize backlog.
- Provide staff with ongoing training to ensure compliance with coding changes.
- Conduct regular coding / compliance audits and process-related quality assessments.
- Serve as primary resource and liaison to address coding related issues and questions.
- Identify and troubleshoot problems; expedite resolution.
- Maintain thorough understanding of current coding rules, guidelines, updates, and changes
- Enroll in continuing education courses to ensure certifications are kept current
- Perform comprehensive reviews to ensure all required data points are captured for billing and reporting purposes.
- Evaluate records for documentation consistency and to validate that the final diagnosis accurately reflects the treatment rendered.
- Identify specific clinical findings, support existing diagnoses, and substantiate listing additional diagnoses in the medical record
- Clarify diagnoses, procedures, and sequencing with physicians
SKILLS / QUALIFICATIONS OF MEDICAL CODING SUPERVISOR:
- Advanced knowledge of medical terminology, abbreviations, surgical procedures, anatomy and physiology, major disease processes, pharmacology, and the metric system
- In-depth knowledge of ICD-9-CM Volumes 1-3 / CPT / HCPCS
- Extensive knowledge of AMA and CMS coding rules and conventions.
- Knowledge of federal and state fiscal requirements, policies, and procedures.
- CPC, RHIA, or RHIT certification
- Experience working with remote and multiple location practices.
- Exceptional communication (oral and written) and follow up skills
- Self-driven with track record of generating results independently
- Experience in Anesthesiology, Emergency Medicine, Pathology, and / or Radiology a plus
- 3-5 years related management experience