As Senior Database Engineer your core focus will be planning and management of all technical and operational activities associated with database administration function. The individual needs to be fully hands on and be able to independently responsible for the definition, creation, maintenance, performance tuning, capacity planning, problem resolution and software upgrade of the relational database management systems within the computing environments. In this critical role, this person will be expected to collaborate with geographically distributed product development, product operations, customer success and hosting/service providers to ensure effective database management. Has a willingness to work with customers of various levels of technical expertise. Above all the individual ensures solutions meet business objectives and establishes and maintains a high level of user trust and confidence in knowledge of and concern for users’ business needs. Will participate and/or lead large complex projects utilizing RDBMS technologies and will demonstrate a high level of technical lead competency.
- Must be able to ensure the operational reliability, integrity and performance of all production databases
- Lead logical and physical design, modeling of database
- Design for a high availability and establish disaster recovery execution plans
- Perform database capacity and performance management and tuning.
- Perform database installations and upgrades and insures the security of confidential data.
- Perform back-up and recovery of existing databases and
- Must be able to trouble shoot operational issues and implement solutions along with periodic maintenances, fixes and patches of databases.
- Must be able to assist users in writing complex queries and reports.
- Perform analysis of business needs, write reporting requirements and turn requirements into delivered solutions
- Proactively monitor systems and make recommendations as well as reporting Performance and Uptime.
- Independently research problems and provide solutions
- Train and mentor junior staff
- Problem solving, strategic thinking, solution design, flexibility, trade-offs
- Strong knowledge of database technologies
- Track record of robust and timely delivery on projects
- Extensive experience with production database design, configuration, planning, testing, implementation, issues resolution
- Expert level SQL scripting to support automation and troubleshooting
- Unwavering commitment to data integrity protection
- Ability to effectively explain, describe or convey ideas in individual or group situations across all levels of the organization
- Experience in being an effective contributing member of a geographically distributed cross functional technical team
- 8+ years of intense hands-on Microsoft SQL Server database experience in a production web services environment
- Microsoft SQL Server database high availability design and support
- Deep understanding of Microsoft Windows application stack preferred
- Demonstrated experience of highly available production database support
- Previous experience in data services design and implementation desired
- Clear and crisp articulation of initiative, work effort and context, and solution provider role
- Excellent collaborative and communication skills with bias for action
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple priorities with time sensitive deliverables
- Knowledge of Microsoft Windows Azure cloud platform is plus
Knowledge of MySQL is a plus