GLOBALFOUNDRIES Employee Reviews in United States

No future
Equipment Engineer (Current Employee) –  Malta, NYMarch 21, 2016
co workers are nice, but management doesn't care how hard you work. you get promoted by how long you with the company not by your performance.
Pros
working enviorment
Cons
benefits, management, stress level high
Company is in financial trouble
Senior Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee) –  Malta, NYDecember 15, 2015
Struggling to compete with the big players. Too few customers. Wafer production capacity not utilized enough in Dresden or Malta. Company was hiring like crazy 3 months ago and now is laying off good people. Poor management and planning!
Pros
Decent compensation
Cons
High risk of more layoffs to come
Lack of overall Stability with the Organization
Process Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAFebruary 28, 2016
Management does not have a focused direction and do not practice what they preach. Work life balance is challenging as there is no overall management direction on core hours. There is a different culture and expectations among all its locations.
Pros
If you are willing to step up the opportunity does exist to drive activities
Cons
No one wants to take responsibility, Work life balance does not exist.
4 rating - good
Wafer Fab Technician (Current Employee) –  Essex Junction, VTFebruary 3, 2016
4 is a good rating, There is always things to improve and make
your work life better.
A typical work day is operating tools, taking direction, helping co-workers. Achieving High quality work. Covering breaks.
Being willing to work wherever needed.
Management is on the floor more and more active in what is needed for the customer.
Helping co-workers and being part of a team is a great part of the Job.
Hardest part of job - Running for 12 hours a day, up to seven miles a day.
Most enjoyable - Completing an objective such as working to get a tool qualified or getting a tool back on line
Pros
Setting you schedule between the 12 hour period.
Cons
12 hours and shorten vacation.
No job security
Process Technician (Former Employee) –  Malta, NYNovember 16, 2015
Personally, I am not comfortable with a job that fluctuates drastically because of the market. Company cares about image rather than employees. Top Heavy, managers of managers of managers while the low man on the totem pole is denied raises and his work load is increased.
No job security
Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Fishkill, NYNovember 5, 2015
Having not existed for even 10 years the company is already in the midst of major layoffs. Production is the bottom line, with little concern for employee well being.
Pros
compensation
Cons
lack of job security
Fun workplace
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Hopewell Junction, NYOctober 5, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management
Good job work - life balance
Benefits are not bad
Job security average
Job culture is decent
Globalfoundries
Chemical Mechanical Planarization technician (Current Employee) –  Malta, NYMay 25, 2016
A typical day begins with looking up with a company meeting/passdown, followed by looking up tracking programs to find out what machines need work. After signing on to the job tracker and following all safety procedures I begin to trouble shoot and fix the machines. Once the work is complete I run a series of test wafers on the tool and analyze the data making sure everything is working properly before running product. I enjoy the satisfaction of fixing the problems.
Pros
always learning
Cons
no growth guidelines, poor managment
Underwhelming Career
Equipment Technician (Current Employee) –  Malta, NYMay 15, 2016
This company is trying to buy its way into market with established competition. It has good employees but a poor path of execution. I seriously dread going into work because my contributions seem to be unappreciated. The bureaucracy is huge; too many managers. HR is like detached and ambivalent to employees needs, Overall I do not recommend this company to others and am planning my departure as soon as it is possible.
Interesting workplace
Logistics Technician (Current Employee) –  Malta, NYApril 3, 2016
A lot of diversity, Great hours. Definitely get to enjoy your time off. Pay is okay, and the food in the cafe is pretty good. Most of what is at global is geared towards the engineers, everyone else seems to be the bottom of the totem pole
One of the best large companies in the area.
Manufacturing Lead (Former Employee) –  Hopewell Junction, NYMarch 11, 2016
Company acquired from IBM known as Big Blue
(Open 24 - 7) 12 Hour shifts that includes every other weekend
Same management team as IBM
Company continues to downsize
Employees are great people to work with.
Productive and positive work environment
Cost Engineer - Commercial Team (Current Employee) –  Malta, NYOctober 6, 2015
Productive workplace with supportive management. Company allows for a good work life balance with flexible hours. Job security is a major concern.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Job security
A bit chaotic
Defect Engineer (Current Employee) –  Malta, NYNovember 5, 2015
This company has a lot of potential however, lots of cultural and management issues impeding company growth. Also, the company has a poor record for employee growth.
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
Poor growth
Good Company
Senior Process Technician Engineer (Current Employee) –  Malta, NYJuly 20, 2016
Growing Semiconductor Company with alot to learn, growing, a culture diversed. I work in Photolithography and daily interaction with engineers on all different process levels.
Great experience
Data Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJune 6, 2016
Great experience as an intern. Exposed to much more than I expected and given many opportunities to go out and work with other business units.
Good place to work and good pay and good hours
Equipment Engineer (Former Employee) –  Malta, NYFebruary 22, 2016
Good place to work with good pay and good hours. Very good CAFE and nice clean bathrooms. Very good exercise room. The leadership is trying to make the work conditions better for everyone.
Pros
Many Changes are going on at this minute
Cons
Changes to production and work changes often.
Poor Management in Singapore Site
engineer (Former Employee) –  woodlandsJune 5, 2012
Singapore site poorly managed. Majority of corporate culture coming from old chartered semiconductor managers. Very disorganized. people are being sent everywhere without clear goals and travel expectation. Now with ATIC money, higher managers are on spending spree traveling every time where just to give updates that can easily be accomplished via conference calls.

Compensation are very good for new comers even they are very less experienced. While internal promotions are very bad and the appraisals and salary review process are not handled properly. Very poor recognition of hard work and some managers even steal credit from lower engineers keeping all the credit to themselves.

Very high on internal politics, most people get easily promoted by their relation to seniors than the work done.
"Equipment Technician"
Principal Technician Equipment Engineering (Former Employee) –  Malta, NYFebruary 4, 2015
As a Principal Equipment Technician, I went to meetings for the 4 hours of my day. I spent most of my day in meetings when I wasn't in meetings I was creating power point presentations for meetings, often for meetings I wasn't in for engineers in my department because they couldn't make them as they were in meetings and we were understaffed. The management style was too hands off, when there was a problem it was most often " handle it yourself, write an email", unless it was for a "protected class, i.e. EEO then watch out for the hammer of justice, rather the axe of HR. No actual equipment maintenance was done, it was all completed by the equipment supplier, the most we were allowed to do was clear the minor recoveries as the GF employees were incompetent numpties. Engineering teams were often lead by new college grads that had a better grasp at what local bar had the better beer selection rather than what vendor had a better DPML. The most enjoyable part of the job was wondering wat drastic change had occurred between when you left for the weekend and when you came back due to some crazy knee jerk by the MGMT team.
Pros
the salary was on point, it brought jobs to the area, i don't work there any more
Cons
globalfoundries
Horrid! Destroys your professional drive, willingness to trust management, & NO accountability for all their wrongs
Integration Engineer (Former Employee) –  Malta, NY, USAOctober 31, 2012
Globalfoundries, in one fell swoop, took the life out of me. Management decides what they want, when they want it, & there's no one to lead them ethically. I received this same feedback from EVERY team member I had... until they began dropping like flies, getting out of there quickly. Or, being terminated for no justifiable reason, even legal-wise. Extremely negative environment. I loved the actual work itself and my immediate team. But, everyone knew that management had final say... there was no one to correct their lack of compassion, fairness, nor respect for the individual.
Pros
compensation was very strong, across the board.
Cons
most are detailed above. i will never recommend anyone to work at globalfoundries, period.
High Demanding Semiconductor Corporation
Automation Technician (Current Employee) –  Malta, NYNovember 5, 2015
Global Foundries was a dream come true for my career path when I started back in 2011. Started as a call center specialist and made the next logical step to move onto an Automatons Capability Management Technician. Attempted to advance into a higher challenging position but was held back by immediate manager due to personal reasons.
A typical day would start off as much as 15 Service Now Tickets to analyze, find root cause, and determine if issue is a fixable offence or escalation is needed. Also on occasion I would test the tools in the FAB for Automation Acceptance. Identify violations of SEMI Standards and report them to the Vendors for correction.
What I learned at this truly Global Corporation is the sense of urgency needed on a daily basis. One missed malfunction or missed step in a wafer route and you costed the company up to Multi Millions of dollars. Very Stressful.
I do have to say that the management structure and co-workers that I immediately reported to were on point and a pleasure to work with. With the one exception of my direct manager, it may be the best management group I've ever worked with.
The hardest part of my job was the feeling lack of accomplishment on a daily basis. After the intensive analysis and correction of an identified issue it would resurface again do to improper procedures from our work force.
The most enjoyable part of my job was the fact that I knew my position very well and that I would go the extra mile all the time. The sense of pride was high.
Pros
Diverse personnel
Cons
Grossly understaffed

2.8