Glu Mobile Employee Reviews

Great people, Poorly managed company
Artist (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMay 4, 2017
A fun environment to work in with lots of talented and passionate people making awesome stuff!

Unfortunately the company is poorly managed at the top and see its employees as disposable. If your studio doesn't make a "hit" (i.e. doesn't meet exceptions, despite being profitable) be prepare for a closure. Studios have no control over what Titles/Genre they work on, and are given their marching orders by upper management. If the strategy fails, the studios face the consequences for the bad direction. (Pure celebrity focus anyone?)

Good temporary job, but don't get comfortable working there.
Pros
The people you worked with
Cons
The upper management
Review
Game Artist (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CADecember 24, 2016
Pros:
- Fun working environment
- Fun coworkers
- Opportunities to work on multiple teams and learn new pipelines

Cons:
- Upper management has unrealistic expectations of game development timelines
- Releasing updates that are not ready
Productive and fun work place with ping pong table and snackage
customer service (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CADecember 19, 2015
One of the best groups of people I have ever had the pleasure to work with. The employees at this company do a great job at having fun and making sure everyone feels apart of the team and gets the job done.
Pros
free lunches, awesome events, great coworkers, overtime
Cons
not much room for advancement in my field.
Great work environment, and fantastic people to work with
iOS Product Tester, QA (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WADecember 6, 2015
Glu Mobile was a fantastic place to work. Everyone was really friendly, and extremely helpful. If there was something that you didn't know, someone would be more than willing to help you.
Pros
Free snacks, lunches (certain days), and great people
Cons
There was no Cons to this position, it was a great location to work out
A Day in the life of a Glu QA Member
Software Tester - iOS (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, WAJune 4, 2015
My day would start by attending team stand up which allowed me to gauge what work needed to be done over the course of the day. From there I would either create test cases/test plans for upcoming work or I would begin testing the day's content. I would use Jira to track any bugs written against the branch. If bugs were fixed during the day, I would kick off a new build and handle bug regressions for the team. I would attend any and all meetings that the QA Lead was invited to. Towards the end of the day the QA Lead, the Producer, the Lead Engineer and I would do a bug triage to determine what bugs would be fixed during the sprint.
Pros
Free snacks and Beverages
Cons
Contract agency they use is terrible and out of state.
Great people, poor managment
Senior Producer (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 29, 2014
Some great people who are great at their jobs here, unfortunately disorganized management cancels out their hard work.
Pros
Bagels, Free Soda, Pays well
Cons
Stress filled, soul sucking experience not worth the pay
Great place to work!
Human Resources Administrator (Current Employee) –  San FranciscoDecember 8, 2013
Great place to work. Free food, nice work life balance, good people.
Cares more about the bottom line than it's games or employees.
QA Tester / Content Writer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 9, 2013
The creative teams I worked with at Glu were some of the most talented in the industry. I was constantly amazed at the quality of work they put out.

Sadly, the upper management preferred to simply copy other games rather than take any risks. On top of that, the budget was constantly strangled, making it harder to bring in talent to create the very games the company relied on. I saw several employees quit after simply burning out, and these were people who LOVED making games.

At the cost of one Executive Producer, the company could have hired two designers, artists... people who, you know, make games.

Instead the company became increasingly top heavy and bloated, rather than the small, competitive, game studio it could have been.

Work location and office size were constantly cramped in San Francisco. Noise was a constant distraction with no cube walls. Complaints were often ignored by executives who didn't really seem to care, because they all had offices.

Towards the end, entire departments were being forced to fit into tiny conference rooms due to short sighted planning.
Pros
Free train pass. Benefits were okay. Stable income.
Cons
Terrible office. Execs did not listen to anyone. Bottom line trumps workplace happiness.