GMS Mine Repair

GMS Mine Repair United States Employee Reviews

Good paying job, but thats it.
Belt Badger operator (Former Employee), moundsville wvApril 9, 2015
Its only good paying a job, advancing in the company takes many years and being with this company for many years will wear and tear on your body..
Good hours and decent pay
Underground Miner (Former Employee), Madisonville, KYFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: good co-workers, decent pay
Cons: scheduling
A typical day at work would start around 7:00 AM on day shift and 3:00 on second shift. I did a two week rotation with days and second shift. I learned many new skills that helped me enhance my job opportunities. The hardest part of my job was the schedule. The most enjoyable part of the job was the co-workers. I really enjoyed everyone I worked with.
verry enjoyable place of work.
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee), Madisonville, KYDecember 13, 2014
Co-workers had a sense of humor, they also were very hardworking people. very enjoyable place of employment.
A typical day of work was spent shoveling all day,while some extremely young inexperienced crew leader was screaming over the crews shoulders.
Laborer (Former Employee), West VirginiaMarch 28, 2014
Pros: good place to get your time in as far as blackhat time.
Cons: 18 year old boy who was likely under the influence, was your crewleaders.
A typical day of work was having some guy with about 5 or 6 months of experience giving orders about a job that he wasn't qualified for. I learned that being a contractor in a coal mine makes your job the least important. Management didn't pay any attention to the unqualified "crew leaders "that they chose to lead the crew. Most of the guys on the crew worked out of fear for their jobs. The hardest part of the job was never knowing which day was going to be the start of your layoff period. The most enjoyable part of the job was finally hearing about one of these young, inexperienced , unqualified crewleaders finally getting fired for drug use or incompetence.
Productive as a Mine Industry Supplier
Regional Safety Manager (Former Employee), Beckley, WVMarch 25, 2014
Pros: company vehicle, gas provided, pier diem
Cons: staying out of state the majority of the week
A typical day at work involved over 600 miles of driving, traveling underground to inspect employees for safety compliance as well as inform them of hazards associated with the job. My immediate co-workers were great to work with, they will go far in the industry. After 9 months of traveling the industry took a fall in the market which in-turn effected our company too. Corporate decided that they needed me too stay overnight out of state three to four days a week. If there was any bad comments made toward this company this would have to be the one, only its nothing bad, it just did not fit my life style. This company was a pleasure to work for and I wish them the best if there future endeavors.
gms new hire
New hire (Former Employee), Washington PaMarch 13, 2014
Cons: no job security
Management very pushy I was told I would make more. Currently paying 10.00 an hour for redhats not the best company in my opinion if your a redhat looking for work I would say go elsewhere otherwise you're probably better off working at Walmart for the same pay.
ok work place but no job security
Mining Labor (Former Employee), Beaver, WVAugust 7, 2013
Pros: good paying job, quarterly bonuses, and safe working atmosphere
Cons: poor health care and job security
A typical day at work started with getting job duties for that day. Making a crew of four to five co-workers if your not on section. Learned a lot about safety in the outby work atmosphere also safety in and around underground equipment. Worked with great hard working co-workers that would fallow direction well. Also had good management in our Beckley office. Guess if I had to pick something hard about work it would be having to do four track pulls a week but very capable of doing so. Really enjoy working underground in a safe atmosphere with hard working co-workers. security
the company and its employees
Buggy and Scoop (Former Employee), Daniels, WVApril 9, 2013
Pros: good pay
Cons: n/a
Its a really good company to work for. Its employees are really nice and friendly. Good wages and benefits also.
A traveling job
Experienced contract worker (Former Employee), Madisonville, KYMarch 24, 2013
I traveled so much with this job. I enjoyed going to different locations but I did not like leaving my family at home. This is where I got all my training in so I was able to become a experience coal miner. Some of the management wasn't that great. But overall it was not a bad job.

May 5, 2013

are you required to go underground?