GMS Mine Repair Employee Reviews

Great start they hired to many people and dont give enough underground
Miner (Current Employee) –  Crabapple, PAApril 17, 2017
They are a good company but need to be more organized. They hire way to many people with nit enough work. I've been there for a week and still have not been underground but 1 day and the other days I was cleaning up trash around the building.
Good place to gain experience
Shield tech (Current Employee) –  Bessemer, ALApril 12, 2017
I can't speak for the entire company but the Alabama office is great from the cord to the supervisors if you need anything you ask and the will get it for you the recognize hard work and reward it with advancements into specialty work which offers top pay that is competitive with the union wages.
Pros
Paid lunches and good work environment
A typical work day
Crew Leader (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaMarch 13, 2017
A day in the life of any coal miner is stressful,yet rewarding. I feel like if they could better manage time so we had a minimum of one day off a week everyones attitudes and work ethic would improve. Its hard to balance a life when working 27+ days in a row.
Worst company ever
Worker (Former Employee) –  ALMarch 4, 2017
Run and keep running. They belittle their employees. Try to get employees to do things in direct violation of federal laws. Expect you to be available 24/7. RUN
Pros
Cons
Bad all aroind especially management/adminstration
Worst company I have ever worked for.
Laborer/ Crew Leader/GIL (Former Employee) –  PA, WV, OH, ILFebruary 25, 2017
I had over 5 years with this company. I'll admit it was the worst 5 years of my life. If you love being screamed at, belittled, and made to work 7 days a week while short shifting this company is for you.

STAY AWAY!
Pros
Nothing at all.
Cons
Everything.
great learning and Hands-On training experiences
Maitenance and mine repair (Current Employee) –  Waynesburg, PAFebruary 23, 2017
every day is different it's like a puzzle every piece is different but when it's put together it's a masterpiece.great working environment and team camaraderie
Pros
all the overtime you want
Cons
takes too long to get a raise
Not for a man with a family life
coal miner (Former Employee) –  Bessemer, ALDecember 12, 2016
I worked here for a little while and found out that they cannot keep their schedule straight. First off you'll be hot seating alot (staying longer than eight hours.) Secondly they'll claim they'll put you on one shift then as your sleeping they'll give you a call and saying something else, I was sleeping getting ready for night shift and as I was on my way to the portal they called and told me to just go to day shift later. I went to day shift and got chewed out because I wasn't on the night shift ( two different managers who can't decide). I left to go join the union afterwards but don't expect to see your family much because I could no longer pick up my son from school nor see my wife, pay is good but you'll be a very lonely soul working here..
Pros
money is great
Cons
No real time with family
ok place to work.
General Contractor (Former Employee) –  Waynesburg, PADecember 4, 2016
Ok people to work with. There is room for advancement with the company. Safety is always a top point priority. Never a dull moment working with them.
I worked there for a year and i loved it.but i never got a crew leader spot.i worked my butt off and never got any kind of advance to crew leader.
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Blakes ridge portal.cameron portalOctober 26, 2016
I loved working for gms.but I never got a crew leader spot.i worked my butt off for them.a bunch of young miners that had no experience on the section or run any equipment got crew leader spots.i guess their not calling any of there black hats back.i wish they would call me.i would leave now in a heartbeat
Labor
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVOctober 17, 2016
It's a good place to get experience they hire quickly pay is around 10/hr will definitely get your foot in the door for better jobs down the road
Pros
Fun good hours
Cons
No breaks an hard labor
Very good job
Coal mining (Former Employee) –  Davis, WVSeptember 30, 2016
Good job all around. Company will help you find a job near your living area. Coal industry is finally starting back up so someone could possibly make a career out of this job. work hard for GMS and you will more than likely get a company man position in the mine you are working in.
Horrible
Miner (Former Employee) –  Waynesburg, PAAugust 14, 2016
Worked here for 4 years was a good place to work until they brought management up from Virginia upper management is a bunch of idiots starting with the owners son and the global construction manager they treat you like dirt
Bad company all around
Beltman (Current Employee) –  Prosperity, PAJuly 31, 2016
No benefits lousy pay work like dogs 7 days a week to risk your life it's not worth it is would advise anyone to look elsewhere
A lot of small work, not busy or rushed
Roof Bolting/Beltman (Former Employee) –  Waynesburg, PAMay 9, 2016
Not as busy as I was working for Murray. A lot of small quick jobs with plenty of time to do it. Learned basic coal mining knowledge and had a feel for it before I moved on to a better mine.
Pros
Quarterly safety bonuses
Cons
Dark, pay not great starting out
Starting point for inexperienced miners.
CREW LEADER (Former Employee) –  Oakland, MDDecember 14, 2015
This is a good place for inexperienced miners to gain a full understanding of the mining process. I enjoyed my time with this company.
good place to work
Production Foreman (Former Employee) –  Lively Grove, ILAugust 13, 2015
a typical day at work was producing coal within standards.The employees there were good hard workers.The hardest part of the job was driving there.
Overall suck
Slave (Former Employee) –  PAJuly 28, 2015
Company is the worst to work for. Let's see a employee that has years of experience never get advanced, but someone with 2 yrs experience becomes a coordinator. It's who you know and how low you go for them. They just laid nearly 100 guys off from the mines, but yet their still hiring? Do not work here, because your just a number to them and they don't care you have a family to feed. I've never missed a day of work and yet young red hats come in drunk and still working there. Avoid this company!
Fire Boss, Utility Foreman, Section Boss
WV Underground Mine Foreman / Fire Boss (Former Employee) –  Morgantown WV , Wheeling WV, Pilgrim KyApril 20, 2015
GMS is a good company to work for. There pay is good but you may have to put in some long hours sometimes but thats just Underground Coal Mining. If you have your Foremans Certification then they will hook you up with a really good paying job. Over all they are a good company to work for!!!
Pros
Pay is good and they will do there best to keep you working
Cons
Long hours but its according to your job your doing for GMS
Good paying job, but thats it.
Belt Badger operator (Former Employee) –  moundsville wvApril 9, 2015
Its only good paying a job, advancing in the company takes many years and being with this company for many years will wear and tear on your body..
Good hours and decent pay
Underground Miner (Former Employee) –  Madisonville, KYFebruary 3, 2015
A typical day at work would start around 7:00 AM on day shift and 3:00 on second shift. I did a two week rotation with days and second shift. I learned many new skills that helped me enhance my job opportunities. The hardest part of my job was the schedule. The most enjoyable part of the job was the co-workers. I really enjoyed everyone I worked with.
Pros
Good co-workers, decent pay
Cons
Scheduling

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GMS Mine Repair. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9