GMS Mine Repair Employee Reviews

Horrible
Miner (Former Employee) –  Waynesburg, PAAugust 14, 2016
Worked here for 4 years was a good place to work until they brought management up from Virginia upper management is a bunch of idiots starting with the owners son and the global construction manager they treat you like dirt
Bad company all around
Beltman (Current Employee) –  Prosperity, PAJuly 31, 2016
No benefits lousy pay work like dogs 7 days a week to risk your life it's not worth it is would advise anyone to look elsewhere
Starting point for inexperienced miners.
CREW LEADER (Former Employee) –  Oakland, MDDecember 14, 2015
This is a good place for inexperienced miners to gain a full understanding of the mining process. I enjoyed my time with this company.
good place to work
Production Foreman (Former Employee) –  Lively Grove, ILAugust 13, 2015
a typical day at work was producing coal within standards.The employees there were good hard workers.The hardest part of the job was driving there.
Overall suck
Slave (Former Employee) –  PAJuly 28, 2015
Company is the worst to work for. Let's see a employee that has years of experience never get advanced, but someone with 2 yrs experience becomes a coordinator. It's who you know and how low you go for them. They just laid nearly 100 guys off from the mines, but yet their still hiring? Do not work here, because your just a number to them and they don't care you have a family to feed. I've never missed a day of work and yet young red hats come in drunk and still working there. Avoid this company!
Fire Boss, Utility Foreman, Section Boss
WV Underground Mine Foreman / Fire Boss (Former Employee) –  Morgantown WV , Wheeling WV, Pilgrim KyApril 20, 2015
GMS is a good company to work for. There pay is good but you may have to put in some long hours sometimes but thats just Underground Coal Mining. If you have your Foremans Certification then they will hook you up with a really good paying job. Over all they are a good company to work for!!!
Pros
Pay is good and they will do there best to keep you working
Cons
Long hours but its according to your job your doing for GMS
Good paying job, but thats it.
Belt Badger operator (Former Employee) –  moundsville wvApril 9, 2015
Its only good paying a job, advancing in the company takes many years and being with this company for many years will wear and tear on your body..
Good hours and decent pay
Underground Miner (Former Employee) –  Madisonville, KYFebruary 3, 2015
A typical day at work would start around 7:00 AM on day shift and 3:00 on second shift. I did a two week rotation with days and second shift. I learned many new skills that helped me enhance my job opportunities. The hardest part of my job was the schedule. The most enjoyable part of the job was the co-workers. I really enjoyed everyone I worked with.
Pros
good co-workers, decent pay
Cons
scheduling
verry enjoyable place of work.
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Madisonville, KYDecember 13, 2014
Co-workers had a sense of humor, they also were very hardworking people. very enjoyable place of employment.
A typical day of work was spent shoveling all day,while some extremely young inexperienced crew leader was screaming over the crews shoulders.
Laborer (Former Employee) –  West VirginiaMarch 28, 2014
A typical day of work was having some guy with about 5 or 6 months of experience giving orders about a job that he wasn't qualified for. I learned that being a contractor in a coal mine makes your job the least important. Management didn't pay any attention to the unqualified "crew leaders "that they chose to lead the crew. Most of the guys on the crew worked out of fear for their jobs. The hardest part of the job was never knowing which day was going to be the start of your layoff period. The most enjoyable part of the job was finally hearing about one of these young, inexperienced , unqualified crewleaders finally getting fired for drug use or incompetence.
Pros
good place to get your time in as far as blackhat time.
Cons
18 year old boy who was likely under the influence, was your crewleaders.
Productive as a Mine Industry Supplier
Regional Safety Manager (Former Employee) –  Beckley, WVMarch 25, 2014
A typical day at work involved over 600 miles of driving, traveling underground to inspect employees for safety compliance as well as inform them of hazards associated with the job. My immediate co-workers were great to work with, they will go far in the industry. After 9 months of traveling the industry took a fall in the market which in-turn effected our company too. Corporate decided that they needed me too stay overnight out of state three to four days a week. If there was any bad comments made toward this company this would have to be the one, only its nothing bad, it just did not fit my life style. This company was a pleasure to work for and I wish them the best if there future endeavors.
Pros
company vehicle, gas provided, pier diem
Cons
staying out of state the majority of the week
gms new hire
New hire (Former Employee) –  Washington PaMarch 13, 2014
Management very pushy I was told I would make more. Currently paying 10.00 an hour for redhats not the best company in my opinion if your a redhat looking for work I would say go elsewhere otherwise you're probably better off working at Walmart for the same pay.
Cons
no job security
ok work place but no job security
Mining Labor (Former Employee) –  Beaver, WVAugust 7, 2013
A typical day at work started with getting job duties for that day. Making a crew of four to five co-workers if your not on section. Learned a lot about safety in the outby work atmosphere also safety in and around underground equipment. Worked with great hard working co-workers that would fallow direction well. Also had good management in our Beckley office. Guess if I had to pick something hard about work it would be having to do four track pulls a week but very capable of doing so. Really enjoy working underground in a safe atmosphere with hard working co-workers. security
Pros
good paying job, quarterly bonuses, and safe working atmosphere
Cons
poor health care and job security
the company and its employees
Buggy and Scoop (Former Employee) –  Daniels, WVApril 9, 2013
Its a really good company to work for. Its employees are really nice and friendly. Good wages and benefits also.
Pros
good pay
Cons
n/a
A traveling job
Experienced contract worker (Former Employee) –  Madisonville, KYMarch 24, 2013
I traveled so much with this job. I enjoyed going to different locations but I did not like leaving my family at home. This is where I got all my training in so I was able to become a experience coal miner. Some of the management wasn't that great. But overall it was not a bad job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GMS Mine Repair. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9