GNC Employee Reviews

Found 1,396 reviews matching the search
Good Work/Life balance, Unclear Path for Advancement
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 16, 2017
40 Hours a week is an easy work week, so its not hard to maintain a personal life. The job is not very physically demanding, but the mental stress can be taxing at times. Company changes policies too much and makes grey areas. Company cannot decide on sales initiatives and often times frustrates customers. Online sales catabolize and hinder store level sales. If your supervisor is good, your life will be easy, get a bad DM that leads using fear tactics, and you will hate your job.
Pros
Customer interactions, free swag and product
Cons
Compensation, unrealistic expectations at times, unclear path to advancment
As an employee...
"Assistant" Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAMarch 20, 2017
As an employee, that has held a very consistent strand of numbers for two years, I think when it comes to advancement in an actual career at this company it has become almost impossible for them to keep a decent turnover rate. I have not quit yet myself because I enjoy my customer base and like what the company stands for but do believe they are very slow to "get with the program."
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
No lunch breaks, single employee shifts on sundays
Fun workplace, great staff.
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Coral Springs, FLFebruary 7, 2017
I love this job and I do love working here. A typical day would be to come in and open the store. Have everything ready and neat for customers to find products easier. Start up register. Do whatever needs to be done, that being price changes, planograms, merchandising, clean, re stock. Manager tasks would include doing the order, known losses, making sure employees are selling and hitting their numbers. Job is not hard, hardest part would be ordering right amount of product. I enjoy everything I do except merchandising.
Pros
Discount on products, amazing staff and workplace enviornment.
Can be fast paced, depending on location, most locations are going to be on the slow side.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 4, 2017
Not a bad job overall, if your passionate about fitness, this is a good place to start, as it can open the door to better opportunities, can be a slow workplace, sometimes. It has the potential to be a high paying job as any commission based job, but if you lack customer count, pay can definitely be and issue. Flexible schedule.
Pros
Free products from time to time, great discount
Cons
Base pay, Slow pace
This place is awful
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Newbury Park, CAMarch 21, 2017
Like pimping vitamins on everybody? Like being yelled at to sell P3 items instead of the 3rd party items that make you commission? Like constantly being told you're going to be fired? That's what GNC is all about.

They want you to pimp their products, but don't train you on the skills necessary to be an effective salesman.

Want bad pay, but get in trouble when you try to earn commission?
Pros
Often worked in the store by myself
Cons
Would not work here again
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Southaven, MSMarch 11, 2017
At first the job was great, but then the hours kept getting cut and we were forced to go to mandatory training in Memphis on several occasions even though I was based at the Southaven store in the Tanger mall. Sorting out pay took two months, and then it still didnt work after one pay check. The only good thing about this job is the people you work with.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
bad pay, lots of traveling for training, redundant work
Interesting place to learn
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Mount Sterling, KYJanuary 26, 2017
General Nutrition Center is an interesting and fun place to work if you are into the health and workout scene. Lots of interesting facts about the benefits of herbs and proteins. Meet lots of interesting customers with different heath and weight issues as well as goals in gaining muscle in the gym.
Pros
Good benefits, interesting people, and supportive managment
Cons
Always doing resets and plan-a-grams, could not keep employees, and only hire part time
very complex place to work at
Part Time 30Hrs/WK (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 25, 2017
very complex place to work. Requires a lot of attention to details due to the many products the stores have to offer. have become very well rounded with basic health knowledge. How to time manage your day i.e cleaning shelves learning a new product every day learn how to properly and effectively sell that product. And shipment how to place new shipment out into shelves and help incoming customers.
Pros
Free products from certain vendors
Cons
on your feet all day
Great place to work if you love to help people
Manager (Current Employee) –  Vineyard, UTJanuary 25, 2017
GNC is a great place to work if you love to help people live a better life. The starting pay isn't great to start but if you are willing to put in the time and effort you can grow and advance to a good career. The training never stops and the job can be demanding at times but it is well worth it for those that care.
Pros
Very rewarding seeing people's lives improve, advancement opportunity for those who want it and express there desires.
Cons
Takes a while to make a good amount of money.
An alright place to work
Retail Associate - Kendallville (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INJanuary 24, 2017
A typical day would be assisting customers with their needs and helping them whatever questions they had. I learned that retail isn't always easy to do. The manager I had was amazing until she had to go to a different store and they had to find a new one. I went through 4 different managers. The workplace was very well clean and organized. The hardest thing though is there was no room for getting a raise or getting a promotion. It was either sales associate or manager.
Cons
No breaks, No raises, No benefits
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Beachwood, OHJanuary 18, 2017
My typical day consist of sitting in the store helping a customer every couple hours. I learned a lot about proteins and minerals. While I was there, GNC was going under a manager shift, the managers would always answer my questions and help me with any situation. My co-workers would help me and answer my questions on a specific product. The hardest part of my job was getting more hours, the most enjoyable part of my job was getting a big sale.
Pros
Breaks at any time
Cons
No lunch
Employees are simply a statistic
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Statesville, NCJanuary 16, 2017
There was no real sense of appreciation from the upper administration, and that, I believe, is vital to employees' morale. There's no room for advancement either, so if you're looking to get into sales, you'd better know someone on the inside. Entry-level management is absolutely possible - anything past that is improbable. I learned quite a bit about the supplement world, despite going in with a fair amount of knowledge beforehand - most of my learning I accredit to one very motivated individual.
Pros
Discounts on products
Cons
No scheduled lunch break, no healthcare (or anything else relative), no paid or unpaid leave allotted, poor employee recognition
productive and active work enviroment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tomball, TXFebruary 15, 2017
typical day at work included assisting customers with products, cleaning and organizing the store and making sure store looked presentable. The hardest part about the job was learning the different promotions and how to put discounts in the computer.
Pros
oppportunity for commision ontop of base pay
Cons
dealing with angry customers and getting swamped with customers on some days
Educational workplace
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bayonne, NJFebruary 21, 2017
- help clients build a health care plan according to their situation
- learned benefits of our products (vitamins, minerals, proteins, etc.) on people's health.
- outstanding management
- conference calls and paperwork were the hardest part of the job.
- meeting and building a relationship with the clients and also learning from them were the most enjoyable part of the job
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Pay Rate
Company Going Under
Senior Store Manager (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaFebruary 18, 2017
I give this company 2 years! Company going under fast, jump ship while you can. Upper management cares only for themselves and will throw you under the bus in a minute to save their own butts. This company is the all about the "good old boys club" and how drunk they can get a cooperate meetings. Some RSD's gossip more than 13 year old girls and belittle employees behind their backs for personal gain.
You will get fired
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 13, 2017
They have no tolerance for even the smallest mistakes. If you break policy and they find out about it, they will have an investigation and you will most likely be fired. I have work at many other retail companies and I have never felt less valued as an employee as I have at GNC. You can make good money if you are good at selling and it was nice to learn about certain products but overall I would not recommend.
Pros
Commission
Cons
Management, corporate
cool place
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Santa Maria, CAJanuary 11, 2017
I have been working at Target full-time (More than 8 years)
Pros
Target is really making some great improvements right now. The work is hard, but it's innovative and exciting. It's nice to be part of a successful transformation.
Cons
With all of the transformation, there is a little uncertainty and an increased workload. The grey and the unknown can be a little scary, but things are clearly moving in the right direction.
Advice to Management
Continue to be as transparent and positive as possible. It is a great way to keep teams motivated and excited about the current direction of the company!
Bad Business
Manager (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILJanuary 11, 2017
I was an employee and worked my way up in a few months to manager. They prompted us to lie to customers to sell them anything that was promoted that week for GNC. Very bad business. Very poor management, I worked in the Bolingbrook Illinois store and the Westfield Shopping Mall store. My regional sales director was a very ruthless excuse for a manager.
Pros
The Manager who taught me how to sell was a good friend.
Cons
The lies to our fellow people.
Great place for sales minded individuals
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDJanuary 26, 2017
Everyday presents an opportunity for you to be creative in your own way to help people achieve their lifestyle changes, by conversation, question asking, product recommendation etc. Although for most of the day you are by yourself with the exception of when customers come in, when you make a change in someone's life, that's what makes the time spent there all worth it.
Great company to work for
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pinole, CADecember 30, 2016
Though the store wasn't a typically busy environment, my manager made sure that the employees weren't just sitting around the store. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fact that my manager made sure that we all felt like family. The hardest part honestly was trying to discuss with customers the many different products we had and their purpose. I didn't have extensive training on the products and I really wish that I would have.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GNC. Our community is ready to answer.

68%